PDA

View Full Version : Nuclear Hand Grenades

hondarobot
07-28-2006, 02:58 AM
I was just watching The Daily Show, and John Stewart had this woman on who wrote this book: http://www.defensetech.org/archives/002495.html. Actually that's a link to a review of the book, but it's called Imaginary Weapons: A Journey Through The Pentagon's Scientific Underworld. Sounds like a fascinating book.

I'm not trying to make any sort of political statement or anything, but apparently (according to the author), there are people in the A ring of the pentagon attempting to develop a nuclear hand grenade.

That's right. Hand grenade.

The guys who ever might get issued those fuckers better have one hell of an arm on 'em. I can just imagine this exchange:

Sergent: "OK, just pull the pin and throw that bastard as far as you can. And run in the opposite direction. . . really fast. Uh, stop drop and roll at some point. . . it would be good to be near an underground shelter, or a ditch. . . hide behind a tree maybe."

Private: "Uh. . . nuclear? Like, atomic bomb kinda deal?"

Sergent: "It's not that bad! It packs a punch, sure, but you don't want to be some pussy with a conventional explosive, do ya? Oh, and line your clothes with lead. And something fire retardant. . . There's a bit of a firestorm thingy following the, uh, nuclear blast. Just little things, but it blows up Real Good!"

Private: "Sweet!"

Sergent: "And don't take it out of that protective box until I'm back at HQ. I'm allergic to cancer."