PDA

View Full Version : Moving On from an ex

dreamon
01-07-2015, 12:30 AM
My ex-girlfriend and I broke up in June 2013 after a 3 year relationship. It took me close to a year but I finally moved on and have been doing great.

On New Years this year, I went out with some friends that also are friends with my ex. We had been drinking a bit, as young people such as ourselves are wont to do on New Years, and as a result, and as such, one of my friends accidentally absent-mindedly casually let slip something about my ex's new-boyfriend. That she was dating was news to me (I haven't been in contact with her for over a year).

Letting my weak curious side get the better of me I started snooping on her social media again.

Yesterday I saw her change her Facebook status to in a relationship, and it absolutely dropped me. Almost back to the way I felt when I first started back in 2013. I've been struggling ever since I saw it to get myself back on track.

The thing is, I don't understand why it is hurting me so much. I know and have accepted we are never getting back together, in fact I don't even want to! I know that she has the right to date, and I've even dated women myself. I knew that this day would come, and I know that this doesn't matter to me, and that I have given my full truths and everything about her and I is in the past and that i am doing so so well with my life and improving myself and moving forward.

And yet I still can't seem to shake the hurt and shock and sadness that came with the revelation that she is dating someone else.

I don't know why, but finding this out has actually really bothered me. I'm doing so well with everything, and I'm still doing all the things that have gotten me here in the first place. Does anyone have advice to help me? Thank you, and Happy New Years.

saifan
01-07-2015, 12:40 AM
I feel you. Very similar experience.

Find something to keep your mind occupied. A hobby, something. Spend time with friends, learn new things about yourself. Fuck. But don't think about that relationship at all. Not even the good times.

Good luck and stay strong.

fireblad
01-07-2015, 12:47 AM
thats tough man. Is ex gg or ts?

dreamon
01-07-2015, 12:51 AM
thats tough man. Is ex gg or ts?

GG why?

dreamon
01-07-2015, 12:52 AM
I feel you. Very similar experience.

Find something to keep your mind occupied. A hobby, something. Spend time with friends, learn new things about yourself. Fuck. But don't think about that relationship at all. Not even the good times.

Good luck and stay strong.

Thank you... I think I struggle with not obsessing over things sometimes. You are very right to say to not think about it.

Ben in LA
01-07-2015, 01:07 AM
I feel the same way sometimes. I could be having a great time doing something or hanging out with a good person then BAM! Something reminds me if the past.

fireblad
01-07-2015, 01:09 AM
GG why?

No man, just curios coz I have the same intensity of feelings and commitment for the ts I'm with at the moment so just interested to know if there is another poor soul like me out there. I think you need to find the love for your self by doing something selfless or challenging like going to Africa and helping out with the Ebola crisis or climbing the Himalayas etc... Get over this girl quick before it ruins you, coz while you are pining for her, she is happily recieving another man's attentions and enjoying her life. She is not worth your life mate, so dont waste it on her.

dreamon
01-07-2015, 01:55 AM
I feel the same way sometimes. I could be having a great time doing something or hanging out with a good person then BAM! Something reminds me if the past.

No man, just curios coz I have the same intensity of feelings and commitment for the ts I'm with at the moment so just interested to know if there is another poor soul like me out there. I think you need to find the love for your self by doing something selfless or challenging like going to Africa and helping out with the Ebola crisis or climbing the Himalayas etc... Get over this girl quick before it ruins you, coz while you are pining for her, she is happily recieving another man's attentions and enjoying her life. She is not worth your life mate, so dont waste it on her.

Thanks guys. It's always good to know there are others that can sympathize with you.

I know this isn't the typical topic for HA but I figured I'd get some great responses and you guys have delivered

Jimmy W
01-07-2015, 02:54 AM
dreamon, sorry you feel so shitty. I really do. Here is what I think got you. You 'thought' you had accepted that it was over with her and moved forward thinking that but when you found the incontrovertible proof that she really had moved on (and maybe that you hadn't) and that it was OVER in every real sense, it was a shock and something you were forced to accept. It happens. You'll be fine. We all want our exes to date shitty assholes hoping they will realize how good we were to them. It never happens. They just keep moving on and so should you. Good luck and go get back in the saddle.

omnifarious
01-07-2015, 03:14 AM
When you mentioned "I started snooping" I immediately thought 'relapse'. You should't allow yourself to wander that deeply into her life again. You may feel you've gotten "over" her but if you prod your old wounds long enough there is always a chance of those feelings resurfacing.

Jericho
01-07-2015, 03:26 AM
You 'thought' you had accepted that it was over with her and moved forward thinking that but when you found the incontrovertible proof that she really had moved on (and maybe that you hadn't) and that it was OVER in every real sense, it was a shock and something you were forced to accept.

^^This^^
Thinking it's over's one thing, knowing it's over, well...