PDA

View Full Version : World's first transgender mayor

hairyguy
01-06-2015, 12:01 PM
https://in.news.yahoo.com/first-transgender-mayor-elected-chhattisgarh-media-094519734.html

yes it's a third world country but for one that has a rigid caste system, this is a huge shock to hear.

GroobySteven
01-06-2015, 12:08 PM
Can't be world's first as I know there was one in a Californian town not so long ago.

GroobySteven
01-06-2015, 12:09 PM
Ah India's first.

omnifarious
01-06-2015, 01:17 PM
I'm surprised they haven't done it sooner. I'm no India expert, but fact being that India is 80% Hindu, and the Hindu religion celebrates transgenderism through their religious/philosophical belief in the third gender ("tritiya-prakriti") and these individuals hold a "semi-divine status", I'd say it's not too much of a stretch for them.

GroobySteven
01-06-2015, 01:58 PM
I'm surprised they haven't done it sooner. I'm no India expert, but fact being that India is 80% Hindu, and the Hindu religion celebrates transgenderism through their religious/philosophical belief in the third gender ("tritiya-prakriti") and these individuals hold a "semi-divine status", I'd say it's not too much of a stretch for them.

"semi-divine" coupled with being looked down on unfortunately. GLBT in India leaves a lot to be desired.

francisfkudrow
01-06-2015, 04:57 PM
As a Pennsylvanian, when I first looked at the article my brain registered "Chhattisgarh" as "Pittsburgh".