Caleigh
07-24-2006, 02:16 AM
I was wondering whether you guys think that
open toe mules or pumps would look better
with a pair of capris.

flabbybody
07-24-2006, 02:55 AM
Caleigh
I can't imagine the pressure of managing a reataurant in a busy area of Brooklyn. But I'm wondering what your concern is about tgirls being your customers. Do you think they'll bring in pimps and crackheads?

Are you woried about gay customers pissing off sraight folks? And how bout Afro-American people scaring off the white yuppies with their girlfriends from Park Plope?

you've always been real cool here, but I'm not sure where you're coming from with this.

Quinn
07-24-2006, 03:28 AM
Caleigh,

With all due respect to your present situation, it was a mistake to divulge your place of employment to begin with. The obvious notwithstanding, I am sure that many people will criticize you for having the concerns that you have expressed. When considering their words, remember that this is the real world – and only you can truly see to your own interests, not them.

This is a difficult matter no matter how you approach it. Good luck either way.

-Quinn

Ecstatic
07-24-2006, 03:37 AM
Caleigh, to me it doesn't sound at all like you're transphobic, but that you value the reputation and ambiance that your restaurant has built over time and don't want to see that morph into a different entity altogether based solely on the incidental fact that you are a fulltime TS woman. In other words, you're speaking as a restaurant manager wanting to maintain the image and character of your restaurant, and not have it adversely affected by a major change in clientele, especially where that change would be instigated--and not by your choice--by the simple fact of what you are and not what your business is.

There are several questions which come to mind:

1) Objectively speaking, how likely is the influx of transgendered clientele to transform the character of the restaurant? Would it really morph into a "T ghetto"? (It can be severe or minor; consider Jacques, in Boston, which in recent times has become the "in" spot for bridal bachelorette parties since the club was written up in a bridal magazine a while back: great revenue boost for the club, but a complete change in character, and how ephemeral?)

2) Are you indeed concerned about the restaurant, or about how you personally will respond to this change? Will you feel outed and exposed (even though you are out)?

3) Might there be conflicts higher up? If you're manager, I assume that you work for owners who have their own vested interests in the character of the restaurant and perhaps they would not like to see such a change.

I fully understand the desire to keep the worlds separate here; I know a girl in a similar position who strives to keep the milieu separate for what I presume to be the same reason. If that is the case, then I think you'll need to speak with these TGs and let them know your position.

Caleigh
07-24-2006, 03:41 AM
I don't understand what all this talk
about restaurants and stuff is doing
here. I just wanted some fashion
advice from the guys who will end up
looking at it.

Phat
07-24-2006, 03:49 AM
no such thing as too much business, unless you're worried about some grimy TS prostitutes or something like that

Phat
07-24-2006, 03:50 AM
and honestly posting this thread is going to draw attention to your shop for the exact reason you're complaining about

GroobySteven
07-24-2006, 08:12 AM
Well I give props to Caleigh for bring this delicate subject up and looking for feedback. This isn't to disrespect anyone but it might give some people an idea of what a TS or a transitioning TS has to go through. Obviously trying to live as a female and not be "clocked" would come into it (if suddenly the restuarant became an East Coast Yukon) but also the fact that a tgirl recognises that a gaggle of tgirls, when out together can sometimes do anything but try to fit in but will probably enjoy and garner attention. There is nothing wrong with that, there is just a time and a place...

No advice from me, Caleigh other than don't dissuade or encourage. If they want to come, let them come and manage them professionally, I very much doubt it will become a regular hangout unless there is something other than good eats and late breakfasts.
seanchai

NickTheQuick
07-24-2006, 02:29 PM
Pumps, slick.