PDA

View Full Version : Television

Jericho
09-02-2014, 06:32 PM
Been a few telly threads lately, so, what are you watching?

Up to date with...

Game of Thrones
Lie to Me (should have made more)
The Strain (undecided about this)
Grimm (took a while to get into, but worth it)
Jeremiah (hasn't really stood the test of time)

Thinking about grabbing "Arrow" and "The Black List"
Any opinions?

RallyCola
09-03-2014, 12:03 AM
i am not a big sitcom or for that matter, television watcher in general.

the only show that i am really waiting for at this point is the restart of the walking dead.

Dahak
09-03-2014, 12:22 AM
True Blood,series finished last sunday and it was a major letdown.

Grimm,waiting for season 4 to start in october,this show is awesome although i don't like that new lesbian character.

Black Jesus,watched every episode since it premiered and it is really funny.

fred41
09-03-2014, 12:24 AM
you might enjoy the "American Horror" trilogy ...the fourth show, I understand, has to do with freaks...who doesn't like that. The only problem with this series (and the reason I'm not through it yet) is , I don't necessarily like some of the actors they
continuously rely on.

Apart from what you already mentioned,
I also watch "Sleepy Hollow", "Agents of Shield" (took a while for that to get good though), "Hell on Wheels", "Ray Donovan"...most of "Sons of Anarchy'.

Plan on marathoning:"the Killing"..."the Bridge"...and the rest of "Justified" (which is awesome until I lost track).

This does not include series that I already finished or was waiting to finish but got cancelled.

Oh wait, how could I forget "Vikings" on the history channel ?...sorry 'bout that.

...and I fucking love "Luthor"...on the BBC...but they make so few of them.

youngblood61
09-03-2014, 12:30 AM
The Strain, The Knick, Ray Donovan, Sons of Anarchy(The final season). The Bridge is another show I'm trying to get into.

RallyCola
09-03-2014, 12:32 AM
fyi...i watched the leftovers and will say that HBO really missed the mark on that one.

sleepy hollow looks like it could be interesting...i might give that a go

rodinuk
09-03-2014, 12:36 AM
Masters of Sex

youngblood61
09-03-2014, 12:36 AM
I forgot one, Masters of Sex.:)

avrix
09-03-2014, 12:42 AM
I like to watch the show from the 60's called "Little Asian"

RallyCola
09-03-2014, 01:32 AM
my wife watches master of sex but she says the last few episodes have been a bit boring

maxpower
09-03-2014, 05:22 AM
I hear The Black List is great. I'll watch it when it starts on Netflix next week.

fred41
09-03-2014, 05:27 AM
I hear The Black List is great. I'll watch it when it starts on Netflix next week.

I heard that too...and James Spader is always quirky enough to make something interesting.
My ex swears I would love this...she's usually right.

Ben
09-03-2014, 05:38 AM
I don't really watch television.... Used to like/love the X Files back in the 90s.

Jericho
09-04-2014, 12:59 PM
True Blood. Just cannot get into it.
Sons of Anarchy. Going to have to grab that one day.
Hell on Wheels - Great show, I'd completely forgotten about.
Vikings - Hanging out for season three!

Got Season one of "Elementary" lined up next.

Anyone seen "Crossbones"?
I'm thinking with John Malcovich in the lead role, it should be pretty good.

youngblood61
09-04-2014, 02:25 PM
Looking forward to the Vikings as well. Get to see more Lagertha.:-)

kukm4
10-13-2014, 08:56 PM
New Season of American Horror Story just recently started.

Interview with Erika Ervin (Amazon Eve)

American Horror Story: Freak Show - Extra-Ordinary Artists - Erika Ervin - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJO4Hz_1wkY)

AshlynCreamher
10-13-2014, 10:12 PM
I don't really watch television.... Used to like/love the X Files back in the 90s.

Our family has been watching "the x-files" after dinner for the last two nights. It's okay I guess I would much rather we watch "hot in Cleveland" or "the Kardashian 's" much more entertaining stuff!!!

Jericho
10-14-2014, 01:15 PM

I heard that too...and James Spader is always quirky enough to make something interesting.
My ex swears I would love this...she's usually right.

The Black List:
Get it, it's brilliant.
One of the recurring plot-lines is a bit obvious but overall, i was surprised at how gritty it is. Do not cross Red Reddington!

Arrow:
Some of the dialogue's a bit cringeworthy, but, it's still entertaining.

Strike Back:
Might be a bit 'British' for some, but if you like 'all action, spies and special forces', stuff, it's worth a look.

BBaggins06
10-14-2014, 01:24 PM
Our family has been watching "the x-files" after dinner for the last two nights. It's okay I guess I would much rather we watch "hot in Cleveland" or "the Kardashian 's" much more entertaining stuff!!!

The Kardashians???? I weep for the future ...

Prospero
10-14-2014, 02:18 PM
British TV is in a terrible state these days - a moronic inferno really. The biggest hit of the past few months has been the great British Bakeoff - a series about baking cakes. Then there are the thugs and racists who present Top Gear, endless dumb talent contests, inane comedies. Virtually no even moderately intelligent programmes. This is what the great wildlife broadcaster David Attenborough had to say very recently.

David Attenborough bemoans the state of TV documentaries

Broadcaster says there no longer seems the appetite among audience and channel controllers for in-depth factual series

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2014/oct/14/david-attenborough-state-tv-documentaries-factual

maxpower
10-14-2014, 07:27 PM
The Black List:
Get it, it's brilliant.
One of the recurring plot-lines is a bit obvious but overall, i was surprised at how gritty it is. Do not cross Red Reddington!

Yes, it's great. I am in the middle of the 1st season on Netflix. When I finish that, I'll jump over to Hulu and catch up on the current season. I assume the obvious plotline you refer to is the true nature of Red's relationship to Lizzie?

AshlynCreamher
10-14-2014, 07:51 PM
The Kardashians???? I weep for the future ...
Hey I just started watching it for the first time and I think its good

ferris bueller day off is pretty good too

rbiller
10-14-2014, 09:08 PM
The Good Wife is GREAT and there is a reason NCIS is the #1 drama on TV every year. Like the Black List as well.

Mark Smith (MM)
10-14-2014, 10:37 PM
Currently "The Black List"

Richie H
10-14-2014, 10:57 PM
S.O.A.

Californication

Teydyn
10-14-2014, 11:45 PM
Fargo
Game of Thrones
Grimm
Hannibal
Longmire
Penny Dreadful
Person of Interest
Supernatural
Teen Wolf (dont laugh, it has NOTHING to do with the Micheal J Fox Movie)
Good Wife
Justified
True Detective

And these are just the "Hell yeah" shows i would recommend...

Jericho
10-14-2014, 11:50 PM
Yes, it's great. I am in the middle of the 1st season on Netflix. When I finish that, I'll jump over to Hulu and catch up on the current season. I assume the obvious plotline you refer to is the true nature of Red's relationship to Lizzie?

That's the one.

youngblood61
10-15-2014, 12:22 AM
SOA has been kick ass so far. Looking forward to the season of AHS. Show is always freaky and well put together. Can't wait for Strike Back to return. What did everyone who watches TWD think of the first episode.

fred41
10-15-2014, 12:39 AM
I finished the first season of Blacklist on Netflix also, and am now up to date and watching the present season in real time...It's a great show with eccentric characters...which got even more eccentric with the addition of Paul Reubens this season.

Stavros
06-26-2015, 01:06 PM
Earlier this year I watched the first two seasons of Orphan Black. I knew nothing about it and mistook it for Orange is the New Black, which I haven't seen. I thought the first series was engaging, not least because of the bravura performance(s) or Tatiana Maslany, but the peril in these series' is how long they can engage, and by the end of the second series I felt they had gone a clone to far, and will not persevere with this -I think they are into their fourth series.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2234222/

Stavros
06-26-2015, 01:12 PM
I have spent most of the last two weeks watching the Israeli drama Hatufim (Prisoners of War) which aired in 2009 and 2012 and became the foundation of Homeland, Gideon Raff being responsible for both. Hatufim is similar to Homeland, but where the latter is dominated by one of two soldiers who return from captivity (Brody), there are three in the Israeli drama, and a substantial part of both series is occupied by the difficulty the returning soldiers have in adjusting to life after 17 years as hostages. The issue of loyalty is just as keen, but Hatufim does not have the extra layers of drama found in Homeland and is thus more realistic and because of the quality of the writing and in particular, the acting, is superior to the US series. The latter is true of the Arab as well as the Israeli actors. For some reason only one of the two series I think was broadcast in the UK, but I watched them on dvd. There are some flaws, and some weak characters, but I cannot recommend this too highly, it is compelling at every level.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1676462/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Wendy Summers
06-26-2015, 01:31 PM
Just starting on Sense8 on Netflix after finishing OITNB Season 3.

youngblood61
06-26-2015, 01:46 PM
Looking forward to watching The Strain next month, Penny Dreadful has been good, season finale Sunday. Ray Donovan, Hell on Wheels. Been Watching The Making of the Mob which has been really good.

Stavros
03-09-2016, 09:31 AM
The BBC here in the UK is broadcasting The People -vs- OJ Simpson, and I admit to finding it as fascinating as the real case when the same channel produced a one-hour summary every day of the legal proceedings. I don't see this as another round of the 'did he, didn't he' argument, but a drama about the people involved -and without ignoring the fact that two people were murdered. In a trailer, David Schwimmer says it is also about LA, but I don't really know the city (or cities) of LA so I can't comment on that. I think Cuba Gooding is good but too short to be OJ -Gooding is about 5'10" where OJ is around 6'1", and I think Kardashian was much shorter than Schwimmer. But so far the acting has been good -the bizarre John Travolta who seems to make Robert Shapiro look so queer it was a shock to see he has a wife- and the writing. Not sure how Americans who see this are reacting, and whether or not the reaction is shaped by their own views on the case as it was in real life.

flabbybody
03-09-2016, 09:17 PM
I give a big thumbs down to the OJ series. couldn't get past 2 episodes.
The acting is so clownish they should have just made a comic parody of the historical events. Travolta is flaming queer as you point out and Schwimmer's dopey facial expressions will forever make him Ross Geller from FRIENDS. The rest of the cast is dreadful except for Gooding who actually captures occasional reminders of the authentic 1990's OJ

Stavros
03-10-2016, 11:53 AM
I give a big thumbs down to the OJ series. couldn't get past 2 episodes.
The acting is so clownish they should have just made a comic parody of the historical events. Travolta is flaming queer as you point out and Schwimmer's dopey facial expressions will forever make him Ross Geller from FRIENDS. The rest of the cast is dreadful except for Gooding who actually captures occasional reminders of the authentic 1990's OJ

Ouch! In fact I think it is the theatricality which I like, as I think it puts a distance between the tv drama and the real events. Compared to the alternatives, worthless rubbish like Downton Abbey or House of Cards, this is a welcome hour mid-week, at least until the next series of Game of Thrones gets going...just out of interest, does David Schwimmer have only one facial expression? I don't know much about Friends, but he was as wooden as a plank in Band of Brothers.

I forgot to ask if anyone has ever received a 'Brentwood Hello'...

BatMasterson
03-10-2016, 08:05 PM
Just finished watching Marco Polo the other night. Gonna start on the spinoff soon.

bluesoul
03-10-2016, 08:46 PM
I forgot to ask if anyone has ever received a 'Brentwood Hello'...

i have although it's no longer referred to as a the 'brentwood hello' but rather 'the steak and bj combo' (there's a restaurant called bj's in brentwood which is what most not in the know will think you're referring to)

btw: i agree with you about this show being really good. with exception to david schwimmer (who has a very hilarious way of saying "juice"), cuba gooding jr. (who obviously can't help but act like cuba gooding jr. instead of oj simpson)

i predict sarah paulson or courtney vance will come out of this with an emmy because they've been remarkable- last episode being of par-ti-cular interest due to her perfect portrayal of marcia's naivity, vulnerability and slight aloofness. it was an incredibly endearing performance.

you said you were confused when schwimmer said in the trailer it's about los angeles. i believe he meant the whole drama of it spiraling into something beyond just a murder case into this epic television event with high powered lawyers, celebrities and the corrupt police department and all the flaws etc.

as to travolta/shapiro's wife: that was the perfect cheryl ladd. i found it somewhat ironic how they made travolta look like the alien bounty hunter from x-files (http://x-files.wikia.com/wiki/File:Alien_Bounty_Hunter.JPG) then cast an angel (https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5494/9135592333_044913ca60_b.jpg) as his wife

i also found it unnecessary how they imply a durden/clark romance thing broiling. sarah paulson is very sexy though. i love her mouth and her sharp eyes.

crystalsopen
03-10-2016, 08:54 PM
I have seen the first 3 seasons of Arrow. I love it.

maxpower
03-14-2016, 12:53 AM
I have seen the first 3 seasons of Arrow. I love it.

The Flash is great too, and there are several Flash/Arrow crossover episodes in both shows.

qwerty81
03-14-2016, 01:01 AM
i liked occupied and heavy water war.

Stavros
05-02-2016, 03:40 PM
The Last Panthers (2015)
I saw this in the shop and had never heard of it before. A series of 6 one hour episodes originally aired on SKY TV, it concerns a Serbian gang called 'The Panthers' who appear to have been a spin-off of the Tigers, a real-life terrorist/criminal group that emerged under a man called Arkan during the wars following the break-up of Yugoslavia. Later, seasoned veterans became known as jewel thieves and were thus dubbed the 'Pink Panthers'.
The series starts with a jewel heist in Marseille and develops a drama around an insurance agent trying to unravel the truth of the people who are behind the theft; the gang involved; and the French police investigating the crime -throw in much -tedious- background from Bosnia, the usual corrupt police officers, a morally earnest insurance agent and a shadowy world of 'banksters' wheelers and dealers and what you have is a mess. The script is beyond redemption, the attempt to be profound falls flat, while the acting is at times so embarrassing I went to fast-forward as relief. The abominable music from the start acts as a warning that this is going to be a rough ride, just as this two-disc set is headed for the charity shop.