PDA

View Full Version : Talk about a bad ending......................

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
07-12-2006, 07:16 AM
http://www.newsday.com/media/photo/2006-07/24314710.jpg

Investigators have confirmed that a gas line leading into a landmark Manhattan town house was tampered with before the home was destroyed by a ferocious explosion that punctuated an exceedingly ugly divorce, authorities said Tuesday.

Police and fire investigators searching through the rubble of the 4-story Upper East Side building discovered that the basement gas line had been modified so that a hose could be attached to it, authorities said. Someone stretched a hose from the line to the rear of the building, they added.

Investigators Monday were looking into whether the doctor who owned the building, Nicholas Bartha, 66, turned on the gas and tried to kill himself and destroy the building as a final, bitter salvo in a long-running divorce battle. Paul Browne, a police department spokesman, said the incident was being investigated as a crime.

Hours before the blast, police sources said, Bartha e-mailed a 15-page, single-spaced letter to his ex-wife and 20 others, blaming her for hardships in his life, said a police official with knowledge of the situation.

"When you read this ... your life will change forever," Bartha wrote in the message. "You deserve it. You will be transformed from gold digger to ash and rubbish digger. You always wanted me to sell the house. I always told you I will leave the house only if I am dead."

Robert Kloss, who said he was a friend of Cordula Bartha, the ex-wife of Bartha, said in a statement, "The emotional turmoil wrought by the parties' divorce proceedings capped by this unspeakable tragedy is difficult enough to bear."

Someone needs to kick the lawyers ass...............................

chefmike
07-12-2006, 07:57 AM
Yeah....I saw that on the news today....I have a line cook in my crew who got busted for weed the other day...he was telling me what his lawyer told him...all that I could say was that lawyers always get paid...regardless...

And don't get me wrong...my uncle and my grandfather were both lawyers...but they are just like weathermen...they get paid, win or lose...

No offense, J....I know you are one of the good guys....

MacShreach
07-12-2006, 01:53 PM
And the amazing thing is he walked away, albeit "severely injured" according to AP.

Amazing.

Quinn
07-12-2006, 03:09 PM
Talk about a scorched earth approach to your divorce proceedings. Stalin would have been proud. If I can't have it, no one will. Still, despite the obvious emotional stability issues and the bad execution, you have to give the guy points for having a set. Frankly, a prenup might have been a little easier though :lol:

-Quinn

TomSelis
07-12-2006, 07:25 PM
The thing that sucks for him is he didn't die, now he's going to jail.

I think the value of the house was like 5.5 million and he bought it for 300 thousand. I would've taken the 2.75 million I got from selling it, had a week long party and found a newer model.

The funny thing is the people that knew him said "He'd never do something like that." Those are always the ones that do something crazy.

Vicki Richter
07-12-2006, 07:51 PM
I hope he cancelled his home owners insurance. Fuck that money grubbing, life ruining bitch.