PDA

View Full Version : Trans violence

Tapatio
08-09-2014, 04:14 AM
Does anyone visit the website transviolencetracker.org ?

A friend forwarded me a link that states violence against transsexuals is escalating in 2014.

I just don't know how reliable the source is- it is on the internet, after all- but if true this is sickening. Any violence is bad, but it really felt like the world was changing.

This could be short term, an anomaly, etc., but if you review the incidents it just looks like the same hate and fear. To think that it's actually increasing is disheartening.

http://www.transviolencetracker.org/index.php/articles/103-reports-of-transgender-violence-escalates-in-2014

Veal Cutlet
08-09-2014, 04:43 AM
Believe it or not the most common Trans violence is between boyfriend and TS girlfriend. A lot of these girls date thug boys who are always smacking around the girl. Not all but most!

Tapatio
08-09-2014, 04:50 AM
It's easy to believe that domestic violence is the largest component of a statistic like that.

RallyCola
08-09-2014, 05:46 AM
Also, with any statistic regarding crimes, you have to take into account the reporting and the recording of the event.

not only are transpeople likely reporting more incidents than before, authorities are finally taking note with reduced bias.

Tapatio
08-09-2014, 03:34 PM
Also, with any statistic regarding crimes, you have to take into account the reporting and the recording of the event.

not only are transpeople likely reporting more incidents than before, authorities are finally taking note with reduced bias.

So it might seem worse, or more prevalent, because people are getting better?

Good point- and possibly good news.

alpha2117
08-09-2014, 04:45 PM
In general I doubt it is. Violence towards people because of their sexual orientation has been waning in the Western World since the early 80's whilst the police used to not take such crimes that seriously in the 60's or 70's that has changed - people are less likely to for want of a better word gay bash if they think they are going to get caught.

Culturally late teen and young adult men tend to be more accepting of LGBT people than they were a few decades back as well, a group of young men say seeing a drag queen today are more likely to not see them as a freak or weird and more likely to find them funny than a threat to their sexuality. Culturally being near Gay/ Lesbian/Transgender people just doesn't seem as scary to them as it did to the young men of the past and violence is often a reaction to your own irrational fears. Young men today are in general just more aware/sensitive of different races/religions and sexualities and that leads to less unreasoning fear based violence .

There will always be crime and many transgender people live in high crime areas which means that they probably suffer a higher chance of being a victim of violent crime than others but that is probably less to do with their sexuality and more locality based. Sex workers suffer a higher rate of assault than average people and sadly many transgender women are still forced down the sex industry path due to lack of opportunities elsewhere which of course increases the risk of violence against them.

I think stats wise more transgender people are comfortable reporting now which means the stats trend up but in reality less assaults are occurring. It's impossible to prove because it uses supposition on previous reporting and prevailing social trends but I think in general the world is a somewhat more safer place for LGBT people than it was and the number of openly gay people tends to back that impression up..