PDA

View Full Version : The Galaxy Has Guardians

Jamie French
08-07-2014, 08:59 PM
Let's see, how many people can I alienate today? Let's find out...

A ragtag team of reluctant heroes try to stop an evil force from taking over the galaxy?

* No points for originality.

Five loners with chips on there shoulders eventually loosen up and generally get along once they forge a necessary partnership?

* Those aren't character arches, that's just what people generally do.

Cancer mom right off the bat apropos of nothing?

* That's not giving the audience a reason to care, that's bashing an audience over the head and commanding that they care... because cancer and sad.

Wisecracking anthropomorph?

* Wisecracking anthropomorph.

These are some of the obvious, but generally forgivable flaws in a movie everyone seems to be losing their shit over.
More importantly, the movie never finds it's tone... it's afraid to stick to it's guns and be any one particular thing. The violence, a little too strong, the comedy a little too hokey, the self criticism, a little too contrived. These elements do not have to be as disparate as they are unwittingly portrayed in this film, but a binding agent is missing. Warmth. This movie is cold to the touch, the elements never congeal. In trying to be everything all at once it proves itself to be what it promised it wasn't - a forgettable, fair weather action movie.

Guardians Of The Galaxy is simply another offering in a long line of countless comic book movies who's target audience is more concerned with content rather than the medium of film itself. It's a continuing extension of an escapist universe. What it is not, is a very good movie.

We were conditioned to like this movie two years before it ever hit the theaters. The powers that be said, "Look, we know it's an unproven property but here's all the reasons you should give this movie a pass..." They failed to deliver. They told us what they thought discerning audiences wanted to hear. The effort was wasted in that respect. Those who like the movie were going to like it regardless of fanfare.

Guardians Of The Galaxy seems to be exactly what comic book movie fans need it to be, which is to say - it exists - it hits the preordained beats, it keeps your eyes moving, and it paints a familiar pass time in slightly different, temporarily distracting new shades. Predictably, it does little else.

christianxxx
08-07-2014, 10:43 PM
who wrote that review?

my my my!
08-07-2014, 10:54 PM
Jamie, I feel about 90% of hollywood's (or hollywood related) movies are downright , awful, forgettable, and at best okay.

I feel like every year, there are only 2 entries, that are worthy of a blu ray purchase, and the rest leave me with the feeling that I would not care If I never saw said movie ever again. and a few actually make me regret the time I spent watching it.

do you feel the same way?

Or do you generally like Hollywood movies?

giovanni_hotel
08-07-2014, 11:15 PM
It was a movie geared towards 13 year old boys and they ate that shit up.
Mission accomplished.

I think that review was deeper than the script.

Racoons with guns is always cash-money.

Charly Spoons
08-07-2014, 11:52 PM
Meh, kids films are rarely the best...

Guardians of the Galaxy Full Trailer Official - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B16Bo47KS2g)

Lets hope Mad Max is a winner...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akX3Is3qBpw

Tom Hardy! Awesome, check out his Bronson performance...

BRONSON - Theatrical Trailer - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMJ1c3qxOWc)

RallyCola
08-08-2014, 12:17 AM
who wrote that review?

it doesn't matter if that is "original thought" or if jamie is just echoing another critic...these are the same sentiments most regular folk feel about the movie. fan boys will clearly appreciate it but in general, it had to be to advance the MCU so, while Jamie gets no points for originality in her critique having pointed out nothing that was not already known, kudos to Marvel Studios for figuring out how to make a mediocre acting, a very old and standard plot, laughable effects and a underrepresented comic property into a winfall. At present, it is at $220 million (in 1 week) on a $170 million dollar budget so it will likely turn a profit before it closes in theaters....I can't see it not making more than another $120 million.

Corran
08-08-2014, 12:19 AM
Didn't care for the comic so I have zero desire to see this. It's aimed at kids/teenagers anyway, so I didn't expect much of a plot. Just pretty make up and special effects.

christianxxx
08-08-2014, 03:15 AM
it doesn't matter if that is "original thought" or if jamie is just echoing another critic...these are the same sentiments most regular folk feel about the movie. fan boys will clearly appreciate it but in general, it had to be to advance the MCU so, while Jamie gets no points for originality in her critique having pointed out nothing that was not already known, kudos to Marvel Studios for figuring out how to make a mediocre acting, a very old and standard plot, laughable effects and a underrepresented comic property into a winfall. At present, it is at $220 million (in 1 week) on a $170 million dollar budget so it will likely turn a profit before it closes in theaters....I can't see it not making more than another $120 million.

you are right, but I am curious who wrote that review, since so many of the movie reviewers are so positive (like me) about the movie. I don't think she was trying to pass it off as her own review.

RallyCola
08-08-2014, 03:30 AM
so...why are you so positive about the movie?

i did see it with an open mind and quite low expectations because having avoided reviews before i saw it, i went in with the understanding of 1 thing...everything that Marvel got right with their "phases" was about to be tossed aside in essentially a money grab and a chance to flesh out Thanos for the 3rd avengers movie. The "phases" though that plan has other issues, allowed characters to develop and come together. in Guardians, too many origin stories had to merge into yet another origin story of its own and they simply did a bad job of it because the movie, had to exist.

More importantly, since I realized that they totally screwed up (if rumors are right) the Ultron character, Guardians makes me less interested in Avengers 2 because i want Thanos and his infinity gauntlet already.

so, let me at least get past where Guardians lies in the MCU....as a movie, the plot was rushed, formulaic and undeveloped, lee pace was terrible, zoe saldana showed why she is incredibly overrated, glenn close was retarded, the funny dialogue quickly became tedious and overdone and the cgi was not very convincing. i found myself saying, that is was ok...i couldn't even call it entertaining.

i'm not saying you have to change your opinion...believe me, i'm fighting the good fight against fanboys on some movie forums right now...but i'd like to hear why you are positive on it. for some reason, i don't think you are a marvel fanboy, but stranger things have happened.

Jamie French
08-08-2014, 04:31 AM
I love the idea of movies, I love the concept of film. I don't own one DVD. That should tell you everything you need to know.

Jamie, I feel about 90% of hollywood's (or hollywood related) movies are downright , awful, forgettable, and at best okay.

I feel like every year, there are only 2 entries, that are worthy of a blu ray purchase, and the rest leave me with the feeling that I would not care If I never saw said movie ever again. and a few actually make me regret the time I spent watching it.

do you feel the same way?

Or do you generally like Hollywood movies?

Jamie French
08-08-2014, 04:33 AM
I wrote the review this morning because a friend of mine really liked it and I have a lot of respect for them and thought they would have immediately seen through it.

Instrumental
08-08-2014, 05:41 AM
I don't think the first two points and the fourth really hold up. On a base level, no plot is original, the general plot for any film has been seen before. The execution is what separates the great from the fodder.

Them getting along over the course of the movie did happen, being able to recognize that it happened isn't a negative. One could argue that the fact that this held true not for five people, but for five varying species holds an underlying message of benevolence among species.

The emotional beginning was rather hamfisted, but I still think it was pretty well done. It's also necessary to show what kind of emotional mind set the character is coming from.

And yes, there's a nutty anthropomorph, also not a negative.

The violence in the film wasn't strong at all. Pretty much standard for a PG-13 film. No excessive blood or gore. The comedy was a bit overdone at times, but still solid throughout and sometimes on the adult side which I appreciated. (Although I didn't appreciate the idiots in the theater laughing at almost everything to include normal, non joke dialogue). The pacing of the film was excellent. Never a dull moment. Acting was also extremely well done. I especially liked Bautista/Drax, the articulate brute. I do wonder how much Diesel got paid to say "I am Groot" for two hours though.

The movie executed the essence of a comic book on screen and that's really what makes it a success. It's supposed to be absurd, wacky, and over the top, much like a comic. It's supposed to be colorful like a comic. I can't say I understand the criticism lack of "warmth" I don't think warmth is where the aim was in the first place.

It shouldn't be rated as highly as it is (RT has it pretty much equal to the 2008 Iron Man), but it was still a very well done film.

Also oldies goodness throughout

Also Howard the Duck. (lol)

maaarc
08-08-2014, 05:51 AM
I am groot!!! - I enjoyed the movie and agree with Instrumentals analysis

Jamie French
08-08-2014, 10:06 AM
You only think it was those things because the movie kept telling you it was those things. It wasn't actually those things. It a surface level time killer for surface level people with time to kill. This is not a matter of taste, it's a matter of intelligence. You've been duped kid. Eat it up, you're keeping people employed. Only good thing I can say about it.

I don't think the first two points and the fourth really hold up. On a base level, no plot is original, the general plot for any film has been seen before. The execution is what separates the great from the fodder.

Them getting along over the course of the movie did happen, being able to recognize that it happened isn't a negative. One could argue that the fact that this held true not for five people, but for five varying species holds an underlying message of benevolence among species.

The emotional beginning was rather hamfisted, but I still think it was pretty well done. It's also necessary to show what kind of emotional mind set the character is coming from.

And yes, there's a nutty anthropomorph, also not a negative.

The violence in the film wasn't strong at all. Pretty much standard for a PG-13 film. No excessive blood or gore. The comedy was a bit overdone at times, but still solid throughout and sometimes on the adult side which I appreciated. (Although I didn't appreciate the idiots in the theater laughing at almost everything to include normal, non joke dialogue). The pacing of the film was excellent. Never a dull moment. Acting was also extremely well done. I especially liked Bautista/Drax, the articulate brute. I do wonder how much Diesel got paid to say "I am Groot" for two hours though.

The movie executed the essence of a comic book on screen and that's really what makes it a success. It's supposed to be absurd, wacky, and over the top, much like a comic. It's supposed to be colorful like a comic. I can't say I understand the criticism lack of "warmth" I don't think warmth is where the aim was in the first place.

It shouldn't be rated as highly as it is (RT has it pretty much equal to the 2008 Iron Man), but it was still a very well done film.

Also oldies goodness throughout

Also Howard the Duck. (lol)

alpha2117
08-08-2014, 04:38 PM

A ragtag team of reluctant heroes try to stop an evil force from taking over the galaxy?

Five loners with chips on there shoulders eventually loosen up and generally get along once they forge a necessary partnership?

* That's not giving the audience a reason to care, that's bashing an audience over the head and commanding that they care... because cancer and sad.

These are some of the obvious, but generally forgivable flaws in a movie everyone seems to be losing their shit over.
More importantly, the movie never finds it's tone... it's afraid to stick to it's guns and be any one particular thing. The violence, a little too strong, the comedy a little too hokey, the self criticism, a little too contrived. These elements do not have to be as disparate as they are unwittingly portrayed in this film, but a binding agent is missing. Warmth. This movie is cold to the touch, the elements never congeal. In trying to be everything all at once it proves itself to be what it promised it wasn't - a forgettable, fair weather action movie.

Guardians Of The Galaxy is simply another offering in a long line of countless comic book movies who's target audience is more concerned with content rather than the medium of film itself. It's a continuing extension of an escapist universe. What it is not, is a very good movie.

We were conditioned to like this movie two years before it ever hit the theaters. The powers that be said, "Look, we know it's an unproven property but here's all the reasons you should give this movie a pass..." They failed to deliver. They told us what they thought discerning audiences wanted to hear. The effort was wasted in that respect. Those who like the movie were going to like it regardless of fanfare.

Guardians Of The Galaxy seems to be exactly what comic book movie fans need it to be, which is to say - it exists - it hits the preordained beats, it keeps your eyes moving, and it paints a familiar pass time in slightly different, temporarily distracting new shades. Predictably, it does little else.

The movie found it's tone and given the scores on Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB most of the viewers got it. You didn't. Not everyone is going to like everything. The world would be incredibly boring if we all had exactly the same opinion.

All 5 of the major characters have had their families torn away from them and have been left somewhat bitter and resentful by that experience. The circumstances they find themselves in end up with those characters forming their own slightly dysfunctional family. Cancer Mum as you called her is the set up for that underlying theme whislt the 4th word said by Groot summed that up the resolution of that theme near the end of the film. Actually a lot of LGBT people probably would relate to some of that underlying element of outsiders making their own version of a family.

As for them not being character arcs but rather being what people normally do - thats the point. These are not neccesarily the nicest people but given the circumstances they CHOOSE to do the right thing. Life is about choices and reacting to what is thrown at us. For most of us those choices are small and trivial in the greater scheme of things. In movies those choices tend to be on a wider scale but nonetheless the same basic choices apply - right or wrong, self interest of the group interest, love or hate no matter what the scale those themes play out in life over and over. In the GOTG it's about a bunch of people who have been kicked in the teeth over and over still choosing to do whats right It definitely is a character arc and certainly a more worthwhile one than the ones in things like Crash or The Hurt Locker.

As for the Raccoon - if you did not love the Raccoon then I'm sorry for your dark, cold and joyless heart ;-0

It's a very good movie - the majority seem to agree. You are withing your rights to disagree but that doesn't make you right it just means that your taste is different to the majority. That's not really such a surprise given your personality. As I said earlier in the post the world would be boring if we all agreed but trust me I doubt you are going to find a huge wave of support from people who have seen the film. You will find support from those who haven't seen it because it's a sci-fi film, based on comic books and features the talking Raccoon but then again it's not made for those people.

It's a shame you didn't enjoy it.

Jamie French
08-08-2014, 06:50 PM
You're a fan boy. Of course your opinion doesn't count. Popularity doesn't equal good. It equals popular.

Look, I'm not trying to separate idiots from their joy. Bad reviews are meant for those who know something is not quite right but maybe can't quite put their finger on it... bad reviews are tipping points for developing minds.

If you know why something is bad then you can live a more rewarding life by bypassing more the crap they hand out and going straight to earning the truly rewarding stuff. True joy is earned not forced fed to you by talking racoons after the pop culture zeitgeist has worn down your defenses.

Bitching on your side is preaching to a choir full of people you won't be separated from their pacifiers.

My form of bitching builds character for those of us who know that what is offered to us from the den of the lowest common denominator is NOT the only option.

The movie found it's tone and given the scores on Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB most of the viewers got it. You didn't. Not everyone is going to like everything. The world would be incredibly boring if we all had exactly the same opinion.

All 5 of the major characters have had their families torn away from them and have been left somewhat bitter and resentful by that experience. The circumstances they find themselves in end up with those characters forming their own slightly dysfunctional family. Cancer Mum as you called her is the set up for that underlying theme whislt the 4th word said by Groot summed that up the resolution of that theme near the end of the film. Actually a lot of LGBT people probably would relate to some of that underlying element of outsiders making their own version of a family.

As for them not being character arcs but rather being what people normally do - thats the point. These are not neccesarily the nicest people but given the circumstances they CHOOSE to do the right thing. Life is about choices and reacting to what is thrown at us. For most of us those choices are small and trivial in the greater scheme of things. In movies those choices tend to be on a wider scale but nonetheless the same basic choices apply - right or wrong, self interest of the group interest, love or hate no matter what the scale those themes play out in life over and over. In the GOTG it's about a bunch of people who have been kicked in the teeth over and over still choosing to do whats right It definitely is a character arc and certainly a more worthwhile one than the ones in things like Crash or The Hurt Locker.

As for the Raccoon - if you did not love the Raccoon then I'm sorry for your dark, cold and joyless heart ;-0

It's a very good movie - the majority seem to agree. You are withing your rights to disagree but that doesn't make you right it just means that your taste is different to the majority. That's not really such a surprise given your personality. As I said earlier in the post the world would be boring if we all agreed but trust me I doubt you are going to find a huge wave of support from people who have seen the film. You will find support from those who haven't seen it because it's a sci-fi film, based on comic books and features the talking Raccoon but then again it's not made for those people.

It's a shame you didn't enjoy it.

christianxxx
08-09-2014, 12:46 AM
alpha2117 - your assessment of this entire thread is spot on. the more she makes fun of your opinion, the more accurate it is.

livepersona
08-09-2014, 01:04 AM
This movie has a racoon with a gun. Not sure I would expect anything more than entertainment from this movie.

Instrumental
08-09-2014, 02:11 AM
This is not a matter of taste, it's a matter of intelligence.

All that for a lazy two line response. Allow me to do one better: http://i.imgur.com/H1rlMA7.gif

jamesedwards
08-09-2014, 02:24 AM
Best movies I have seen, Matrix, Transformers, Starwars, Avatar, Resident Evil and Bruce lee flixs!

But I would love to fuck Zoe Saldanza with that green shit on, the same way she looked in the movie, i think her as an Alien I would do some wild freaky shit with her!

livepersona
08-09-2014, 06:56 AM
I just got back from the movies watching Guardians. Have to say it was pretty awesome! Not sure how you could give this movie a bad review. It was light, funny, full of good action, special effects and good one liners. It's a movie based out of a comic-book and ties into other Marvel movies that are out. Very well done.

LAKidd
08-09-2014, 08:41 AM
I took my GF to go see it
I enjoyed it

serial138
08-12-2014, 10:22 PM
You only think it was those things because the movie kept telling you it was those things. It wasn't actually those things. It a surface level time killer for surface level people with time to kill. This is not a matter of taste, it's a matter of intelligence. You've been duped kid. Eat it up, you're keeping people employed. Only good thing I can say about it.

God forbid someone enjoy some mindless entertainment once in a while. I'm pretty sure most adults are well aware of what the movie is trying to tell them, and they are willing to suspend belief and go with it for an enjoyable experience. It's not a lack of intelligence, its called enjoying the simple pleasures in life. Not everything in life is so serious. You're going to give yourself ulcers stressing yourself out so much.

You're a fan boy. Of course your opinion doesn't count. Popularity doesn't equal good. It equals popular.

Look, I'm not trying to separate idiots from their joy. Bad reviews are meant for those who know something is not quite right but maybe can't quite put their finger on it... bad reviews are tipping points for developing minds.

If you know why something is bad then you can live a more rewarding life by bypassing more the crap they hand out and going straight to earning the truly rewarding stuff. True joy is earned not forced fed to you by talking racoons after the pop culture zeitgeist has worn down your defenses.

Bitching on your side is preaching to a choir full of people you won't be separated from their pacifiers.

My form of bitching builds character for those of us who know that what is offered to us from the den of the lowest common denominator is NOT the only option.

Everyone is aware that popularity doesn't mean something is good. Look at any Michael Bay movie and you can see that. Whether the poster you qouted is a fan boy or not doesn't matter, his opinion is worth as much as yours...exactly nothing.

Everyone is well aware of art house and independent films. Why can't he enjoy both? Professional movie critics enjoyed it, and they also enjoy many of the films you probably enjoy as well. I can enjoy a move like Apocalypse Now and then go on and watch They Live right after it and have just as much of a good time.

You can slam away with your elitist mentality all you want, but it's laughable how you go on to claim that bitching builds character. Debate and thought builds character. Dismissing the "inferior minds" around you shows a closed mind and an "I'm always right" mentality that does not allow for growth. Claims of intellectualism won't hide that.

With that said, I liked the movie until the end. Honestly, you mean to tell me Ronan is not going to smash his hammer into the ground and end the world of Nova just because Quill is dancing like an idiot?!? They couldn't come up with a better plot device than that?!? That's where the movie jumped the shark for me. It wasn't bad enough to make me wish I had that 2 hours of my life back though. All in all, I was still entertained.

Jamie French
08-13-2014, 01:46 AM
Soooo... summed up, you're wrong? That's a lot of words for such a simple sentiment.

God forbid someone enjoy some mindless entertainment once in a while. I'm pretty sure most adults are well aware of what the movie is trying to tell them, and they are willing to suspend belief and go with it for an enjoyable experience. It's not a lack of intelligence, its called enjoying the simple pleasures in life. Not everything in life is so serious. You're going to give yourself ulcers stressing yourself out so much.

Everyone is aware that popularity doesn't mean something is good. Look at any Michael Bay movie and you can see that. Whether the poster you qouted is a fan boy or not doesn't matter, his opinion is worth as much as yours...exactly nothing.

Everyone is well aware of art house and independent films. Why can't he enjoy both? Professional movie critics enjoyed it, and they also enjoy many of the films you probably enjoy as well. I can enjoy a move like Apocalypse Now and then go on and watch They Live right after it and have just as much of a good time.

You can slam away with your elitist mentality all you want, but it's laughable how you go on to claim that bitching builds character. Debate and thought builds character. Dismissing the "inferior minds" around you shows a closed mind and an "I'm always right" mentality that does not allow for growth. Claims of intellectualism won't hide that.

With that said, I liked the movie until the end. Honestly, you mean to tell me Ronan is not going to smash his hammer into the ground and end the world of Nova just because Quill is dancing like an idiot?!? They couldn't come up with a better plot device than that?!? That's where the movie jumped the shark for me. It wasn't bad enough to make me wish I had that 2 hours of my life back though. All in all, I was still entertained.

jamesedwards
08-13-2014, 12:06 PM
Yall taking this to dam seriously. All I wanna do is fuck Zoe in her green body LOL she should get a 11 inch green strapon to match and we fuck as hard as we can she looks sexy in whatever color she is LOL dam she done played green in two movies, Avatar and now this.

fred41
08-13-2014, 01:22 PM
She was blue in Avatar.

and virtual.

...but yeah, I've watched movies just because she's in them!

ohioguy13
08-13-2014, 03:30 PM
I like the review still cant believe they wont nominate a raccoon for an Oscar fucking racists so this isn't the new citizen cane?

alpha2117
08-13-2014, 05:10 PM
alpha2117 - your assessment of this entire thread is spot on. the more she makes fun of your opinion, the more accurate it is.

Thanks man.

alpha2117
08-13-2014, 05:28 PM

I'm not a "fanboy" as you call them. I just got the film and you clearly didn't. As I pointed out the world would be boring if everybody agreed on everything. You think it's aimed at the lowest common denominator , I dont and neither do most of the respected film critics. Your opinion is your opinion and you are entitled to it but it doesn't mean the film is crap - it just means YOU didn't like it.

Your attitude towards people that disagree with you is sadly typical of the internet ... little respect or attempt at understanding and ultimately little or no thoughts carrying any real weight.

The film isn't bad and the majority of critics and audiences agree on that, there will always be people who dont like something even if it's a good product because it doesn't fit their personal tastes. In this case GOTG doesn't fir your tastes despite it's quality. BAD is Madonna's Swept Away - which even it's own director admits is pretty awful.

You accuse me of bitching but last time I checked I'm the one making a rational argument whilst you are just stating your opinion is better than other peoples. GOTG is averaging 8.7/10 on IMDB and 92% Fresh with critics on Rotten Tomatoes and 96% with the audience. It's made 319 million world wide in 11 days. So that says the majority of critics like it, the majority of the audience liked it and it has a large audience. So I'm afraid you are in the minority here. That's fine by the way ... you are allowed not to like things that the majority do like but dont expect us to agree with you.

christianxxx
08-13-2014, 08:28 PM
Jamie is one of those people who would win the lottery and complain about having to pay the taxes on it. lol

EvaCassini
08-13-2014, 09:58 PM
Jamie is one of those people who would win the lottery and complain about having to pay the taxes on it. lol

No...you're hilariously wrong there bub.

I find it funny how when someone gives a negative review on a movie ( especially a Marvel movie), and people who are led to believe it is good, bash the "Thumbs Down" reviewer.

Look. This movie was pretty. It was pretty cannon. It was good as far as a superhero movie goes. ( Way better than Fantastic 4, and Hulk ).

But as a film, it "meets quota".

If you want to believe it's "original", please refer to the posted image below.

If you want to believe it's warm and has heart, fine, but regardless if it's a Marvel Comicbook movie, or a Spielberg film, it should not appeal to the lowest common denominator. For example, the cancer mother. You know how I felt when I watched that part? I felt forced to care. They shoved CANCER in my face not 2 minutes into the movie and tell me, "Look! The main protagonist's mother is dying of cancer. You must feel remorse now. Are you feeling for this person? Not so much? Ok. Now look. She just died and the kid actor is trying to portray "distraught". Now you're feeling something for him right? No? Ok, well how about he gets abducted right after running out of the hospital, never to see his family, friends, and home planet ever again......Nothing?"

I do not want to be forced to care for characters. There are a great many ways to portray something similar to entice feelings of sympathy and empathy. The way this film does it makes it feel like a poorly acted rape scene. Very awkward. It was very hand-fisted.

If you know me, you KNOW I am a avid fangirl of Marvel and many other nerdy things. This does not mean I will lower my expectations or give Marvel a pass.

For example...My example is "A New Hope". WHY? Because GotG is basically the same movie but modern. But lets please compare.

-Both films are space operas.
-Both have an eclectic cast of characters.
-Both have these unruly characters group together for a greater good.
-Both have very similar aspects in regards to character profiles.
-Both have a seemingly unbeatable villain.
-Both include political flavor.
-Both have a furry "lovable" character.
-Both have character pairs who are buds and work together, and one can understand the gibberish language of the other.

The difference between Guardians of the Galaxy and A New Hope...
A New Hope is a solid film. It stands by itself with out any help from any other movie. It has the audience captivated by the character arcs and story, and makes you want to root for them. It does it in a way to where you aren't Michael Bay'd into "feeling" for the characters. Star Wars is such a solid film that they could afford to start on PART 4.

I felt for Starlord as much as I felt for Shia Le'bouf's character in Transformers.

Also, lets talk about the ratings and reviews. Out of let's say 2 billion people who watch this film........

Rotten Tomatoes: 92%
- 217 reviews ( Fresh - 199 / Rotten - 18 )
- 152,484 Audience reviews ( 96% )

IMDB: 8.7 of 10
- 108,619 raters
- 442 Reviews ( 122 "critic" reviews. Just schmucks with a column )

You realize that out of "let's say 2 billion people" that this group of "reviewers" are going to give a well thought out film educated opinion?

We don't live in a climate where "mass opinion" can be trusted 100% of the time. Because we live in a world where the majority of people are more concerned with the comforts pop culture gives them, than investing in the kind of critical thinking, that may take them out of their comfort zone.

Starlord/Rocket is basically Han Solo without any of the pathos.

transbeastiality
08-13-2014, 11:09 PM
Terrible review. Stick to porn.

jamesedwards
08-14-2014, 08:19 AM
DAm Eva you just proved that they stole from the starwars poster LOL now there's some facts for ones ass LOL

Transformers and Avatar was the shit!

No...you're hilariously wrong there bub.

I find it funny how when someone gives a negative review on a movie ( especially a Marvel movie), and people who are led to believe it is good, bash the "Thumbs Down" reviewer.

Starlord/Rocket is basically Han Solo without any of the pathos.

jamesedwards
08-14-2014, 08:21 AM
She was blue in Avatar.

and virtual.

...but yeah, I've watched movies just because she's in them!

Oh yeah she was blue my bad, still wanna fuck her greenblue ass LOL she start off green, as we fuck and start beasting, she turns blue, lol now that's hot. :dead:

http://img1.imagehousing.com/3/77758933695bd8d2f22e0e4dcaefeb2e.gif (http://www.imagehousing.com/image/1205947)

Robinhood81
08-14-2014, 12:13 PM
I'm 32, I think most marvel/comic book films are at best ok, most are overrated, especially avengers, but I absolutely loved guardians of the galaxy.

Transformers 4 starts ok and ends ok but as usual has 2 hours of s**t in between.

Avatar was rubbish, just a cgi rip off of about 10 movies, dances with wolves is far superior!

Mr. Yates
08-14-2014, 12:35 PM
"You're a fan boy. Of course your opinion doesn't count."

Is the implication here that fan boys blindly adore any comic book franchise movie regardless of quality?

Because no. Hell no. There isn't even an argument to entertain here. Batman Forever? Batman and Robin? Both Fantastic Four movies? The Spirit? Daredevil? Hulk? Both Ghost Rider movies? Spider-Man 3? League of Extraordinary Gentlemen? X-Men: The Last Stand? Superman 3? Superman 4? Superman Returns?

That's off the top of my head. Are multiple people on this forum aware these movies exist?

TL;DR:
There is a film out there that is wildly popular, and I have a contrarian viewpoint to offer. Disagree with my viewpoint? Well that's because you are one of the mindless sheep that constitute the general public and cannot possibly fathom the elite taste for the finer things in life that I, and only I alone, am intelligent enough to appreciate. You unintelligent buffoons! Dance, puppets! Dance!

Is Guardians of the Galaxy more or less mindless entertainment? Absolutely. The thing with that though is....

....like....fuckingggg...no shit?

There is a central character that is a bipedal, talking, cybernetically-enhanced god damned raccoon. There is another central character that is a living tree with a 4 word vocabulary. If you were walking into this expecting a modern take of Othello, then I would certainly agree with you that there may be a lack of intelligence to be observed in this forum. It's your identifying where that lack of intelligence originates from that might be a bit askew.

Guardians of the Galaxy was fucking awesome.

EvaCassini
08-14-2014, 06:32 PM
You know why Jamie and I are very disappointed in this movie?

Not because we consider ourselves "Film Connoisseurs", but because Kevin Feige and James Gunn (mostly Gunn), for about two years in interviews (which I have seen most of them), extensively talked huge game about deep character development and an original story with heavy heartfelt moments. They talked like this movie had weight comparable to Star Wars: A New Hope, Lord of the Ring, and Game of Thrones.

Gunn and Feige said a lot of the right things to get people who care about film making, interested in this movie.

Jamie and I are not trying to bash people who simply want to enjoy a popcorn movie. We are just giving a well-rounded review. Notice I did say the movie was good looking with VFX and enjoyable for the most part. As far as a superhero movie goes, it was better than most, but not as good as the Iron Man Trilogy or Capt. 2.

Mr. Yates
08-15-2014, 12:04 AM
Strange that a director would talk up his own movie. You'd almost think making movies is a business or something.

That aside, what heartfelt character moments do you feel Star Wars: A New Hope had that GotG doesn't? I'm trying to think of a single moment that I'd compare to say, Rocket's drunken outburst (which was absolutely magnificent voice acting on Bradley Cooper's part) and for the life of me, I can't do it.

EvaCassini
08-15-2014, 12:34 AM
You are not understanding.

Yes, I know a director is going to talk up his movie. No shit Sherlock.

But with him saying things that makes FILM MAKERS interested, further than normal, and NOT delivering, upsets me. I am not claiming to be a certified "film maker", but I am currently making films (not my porn), and understand where film makers who are interested in only making a solid films, would be mislead by his pitch.

If you think that Rocket's drunken outburst was on par with anything given to us from Star Wars: A New Hope, you clearly have no understanding of what "heartfelt moments" are, and you blatantly show how your critical thinking skills are not at a level great enough to read between the lines in a film.

Bradly Cooper's voice acting skills are not that great. I would have rather have heard H. Jon Benjamin behind the microphone, or even Mark Hamill. Hell, even John DiMaggio.

Mr. Yates
08-15-2014, 12:56 AM
My understanding of "heartfelt moments" is that they are moments...that are heartfelt. Go ahead and school me with your unique insight as to where my misconception is.

Soooooooo.....did you have an answer to the question, or is "I'm smarter than you." *jerk off motion* your actual response?

EvaCassini
08-15-2014, 02:27 AM
My understanding of "heartfelt moments" is that they are moments...that are heartfelt. Go ahead and school me with your unique insight as to where my misconception is.

Soooooooo.....did you have an answer to the question, or is "I'm smarter than you." *jerk off motion* your actual response?

I posed a scenario to answer your question and if you can't respond to it intelligently by understanding what I literally wrote, and then proceed to act like a child with your "jerk-off" gesture, shows me you are not only outrageously ignorant but also infantile and arrogant. And there is no reasoning with someone like you. Good day.

Mr. Yates
08-15-2014, 02:44 AM
I posed a scenario to answer your question and if you can't respond to it intelligently by understanding what I literally wrote, and then proceed to act like a child with your "jerk-off" gesture, shows me you are not only outrageously ignorant but also infantile and arrogant. And there is no reasoning with someone like you. Good day.

No, you didn't. You were asked an extremely simple and direct question, and are unable to respond.

Regarding "ignorant", don't use words if you don't know what they mean. Infantile and arrogant.....meh...guilty. Speaking of words that confuse you, and heartfelt moments, here's one to google: relative.

We all look forward to your review of TMNT, and how horrible it is because it fails to properly capture how real minorities and perceived social outcasts actually function in society. You know, like a FILM MAKER would do. Good day, indeed.

Odelay
09-14-2014, 03:37 PM
I was 17 when The New Hope, aka the original Star Wars was released and saw it one time. I proceeded to be appalled when trusted friends, who I thought were intelligent, went to the same mediocre movie 3, 5, 8 and even 12 more times. I had developed a pretty good skill shooting pool back then and realized that I could bilk some of these same fools out of a few bucks around a table.

If your review of a movie review starts out "The New Hope was so much better...", then you're standing on shaky ground. It was made by the same guy who did those horrible episode 1-3 movies, and really wasn't much better.

Nevertheless, comparing GotG to The New Hope is apropos. The former borrows heavily from the latter.

Tangent: I read a different GotG thread in this forum that commented about the movie after the trailer was released and long before the movie was released. Rallycola does a comprehensive review of the many Marvel/other comix movies over the last decade. I counted it up and realized that I only go to 20% of these movies. So I'm definitely not in the target audience for this sh*t.

scroller
09-14-2014, 06:53 PM
I didn't see Guardians until last week. I do agree with Jamie's assessment on this one. Surprisingly lackluster for the rave reviews it's garnered. Definitely overrated.

RottenTomatoes used to do really well by me as a filter before I'd see a movie, by I've gotten burned twice this summer; Godzilla and Guardians both had >90% ratings when I went to see them and they were both disappointing. Has the industry figured out how to "hack" those ratings somehow at this point?

LibertyHarkness
09-14-2014, 07:34 PM
I thought it was an amusing movie. Just pure sillyness and a cute racoon with anger issues that likes shooting things a lot :)

Great little break from the real world . Also had a wicked soundtrack .

People's movie reviews are like arseholes , everyone has one .

For me it wasn't a great amazing movie but it was also entertaining, what I call a no brainer movie . Seen a lot worse this year .

Each to their own on likes and dislikes ,

Though I am dreading batman vs superman.

MrFanti
12-16-2014, 03:52 AM
Loved the soundtrack! :cool:
Absolutely hated how the Nova Corps was depicted. :frustrated

MrFanti
12-16-2014, 03:53 AM
Also had a wicked soundtrack .

Each to their own on likes and dislikes ,

:cheers:

TempestTS
12-16-2014, 06:03 AM
I thought it was brilliant for one of these new fangled "talkies"

I still miss the piano player being in the room with you...

crystalsopen
12-17-2014, 01:56 AM
I thought it was brilliant for one of these new fangled "talkies"

I still miss the piano player being in the room with you...

That is why I like the home theater experience, you can customize your experience to your tastes. For example, you could invite piano player over, turn on closed captions and turn off the sound.