PDA

View Full Version : Candy Darling

maaarc
06-30-2014, 06:20 AM
Candy Darling (November 24, 1944 – March 21, 1974) was an American actress, best known as a Warhol Superstar. A trans woman, she starred in Andy Warhol's films Flesh (1968) and Women in Revolt (1971), and was a muse of the protopunk band The Velvet Underground. God I wish I could have met this girl :)

maxpower
06-30-2014, 07:30 AM
Good pics, maaarc, although a couple of them are not Candy. I saw a good documentary about her on Netflix recently, called Beautiful Darling. It had a lot of old footage of Candy and interviews with people who knew her, like Holly Woodlawn, and her long-time friend Jeremiah Newton.

Speaking of The Velvet Underground...

The Velvet Underground - Candy Says - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPgGjUSEWss)

Christine Seale
04-11-2022, 01:45 PM
Candy Darling (November 24, 1944 – March 21, 1974) was an American actress, best known as a Warhol Superstar. A trans woman, she starred in Andy Warhol's films Flesh (1968) and Women in Revolt (1971), and was a muse of the protopunk band The Velvet Underground. God I wish I could have met this girl :)

I adore her ...heard about her via Lou and the Velvet Underground and also remember Andy Warhols interviews Magazine ! (I was on pocket money then and it was expensive ,used to hide it along w copies of Tranz and Sulka mags M :D) C

Stavros
04-12-2022, 06:14 AM
For a time in the 1970s the only opportunity to see American trans and drag performers was in Warhol and Paul Morrissey's films, even though they were dire, although Trash is just about watchable. There is an intellectual view of Chelsea Girls that considers it a pioneering film in terms of its split screen, free association, improvised content, but it is very hard to sit through, and for me, once was enough. Bob Dylan has claimed that the film ruined the reputation of the Chelsea Hotel and it went into decline thereafter, though I am not sure how many people saw the film.

Although Holly Woodlawn and Candy Darling are probably the most famous of his 'trans girls', a quick mention of Jackie Curtis, who delivers the most amazing blow job, I think in Women in Revolt, and who is also named in Lou Reed's song Walk on the Wild Side, "Jackie is just speeding away / Thought she was James Dean for a day / Then I guess she had to crash / Valium would have helped that bash".-
Jackie Curtis - Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackie_Curtis)

My recollection of seeing Women in Revolt at the ICA sometime in the early 80s was the German woman who at the end, screamed "Scheiße" ...