PDA

View Full Version : Best Man's Speech!!!!!!!!!!

TheBigTreesy
06-29-2006, 12:54 AM
Right - I know its completely the wrong forum but I am desperate!

I am best man at a wedding and have to have the speech done and dusted by tomorrow night. I am stuck for ideas!

I am looking for opening lines and any general tips you have.

Please, it's an emergency!

NYCe
06-29-2006, 01:08 AM
Keep it short and keep it clean. Also try and memorize the speech (if at all possible). If you're not a good off the cusp speaker, don't attempt to go off the top of your head. Stand while giving the speech so everyone can see you and make sure you have quiet in the room before you begin.

And the number one rule: DON'T UPSET THE BRIDE.

Quinn
06-29-2006, 01:13 AM
Your best bet is to start with a story about something unique to the topic being addressed. What makes the groom (or bride for that matter) exceptional? What single charecteristic stands out as the driving force behind your -- and everyone else's -- bond so said individual(s)? Go with a story that describes displays that charecteristic and then explain how it will make the party (bride, groom, etc.) such a good match for the other.

Not great advice, I know, but hopefully it will help in some way.

-Quinn

GroobySteven
06-29-2006, 01:15 AM
...and always finish with something incredibly sincere, romantic and personal about the bride and groom and how wonderful and perfect they are for each other.
As NYCe stated - Keep it short!

Bring out a few childhood memories if you have them, don't involve any stories about strippers, say how you always admired him because ... and if you have to make anybody the brunt of the joke - make sure it's you.

seanchai

TheBigTreesy
06-29-2006, 01:24 AM
Good advice lads

It's appreciated

deebo
06-29-2006, 08:33 AM
keep it short

make sure it comes from the heart

dont sugar coat things too much

end it with something sincere

good luck bro

Ecstatic
06-29-2006, 03:33 PM
Give your toast before you're too toasted to give it well: I've heard some pretty bad best man toasts when the best man was too far gone in his cups and rambled into uncharted territory.

houstonshemalefan
06-29-2006, 03:58 PM
Here's the end of the speech I gave at a friend's wedding, the bride loved it. The first part of the speech was just a reflection of my friendship with this guy and how we met and clean stuff we've been through, etc.., etc...

Here's the last part:

A little advice for the newlyweds:

A marriage consists of four pillars. Lying, Swearing, Stealing and Drinking (Boy you people have dirty minds)

Groom: If you must Lie, then lie only with this beautiful woman you have married.

Bride: If you must Swear, then swear to be true to your husband.

Both: If you must Steal, then steal each other's hearts every day of your marriage as you did on the first day you met.

And if you have to Drink, then drink only with people who love you as you are today!

TheBigTreesy
06-30-2006, 01:52 AM
thanks for the advice, just so you know it's not looking too bad at this stage