PDA

View Full Version : RIP Gabriel Garcia Marquez (1927-2014)

Stavros
04-17-2014, 11:36 PM
Gabriel Garcia Marquez died today. He was one of a group of writers from Latin America who established a global reputation, in his case based on One Hundred Years of Solitude, a novel whose irresistible narrative unfolds over 130 years during which a matricharchal character, Ursuala drinks an awful lot of coffee in Macondo, the city of mirrors. Garcia was inevitably a political activist in a continent where few literary figures have been neutral. He sits in a pantheon of writers from Borges and Neruda, to Vargas Llosa, Fuentes and Paz. His best work was undoubtedly behind him, but he has left a rich legacy of fiction and political journalism.

A light has gone out, and Colombia today is dark. But tomorrow a million people will pick up that book, and be taken on a magical 130-year journey they will never forget.

trish
04-18-2014, 01:08 AM
One Hundred Years of Solitude is one of the most memorable books I've ever read.

robertlouis
04-18-2014, 03:51 AM
One Hundred Years of Solitude is one of the most memorable books I've ever read.

Same here. He's given me more thought-provoking literary pleasure than any other writer of this era.

Prospero
04-18-2014, 07:28 AM
Nice summation Stavros. I read that book as a teenager and nothing he wrote since quite compared with its magical quality.
This is a profile from the New Yorker.

http://archives.newyorker.com/?i=1999-09-27&utm_source=tny&utm_campaign=generalsocial&utm_medium=facebook&mbid=social_facebook#folio=056

Ecstatic
04-18-2014, 04:17 PM
RIP GGM, one of the greatest writers of the past century, hands down.