PDA

View Full Version : David Letterman announces on show he will retire in 2015.

Vladimir Putin
04-03-2014, 11:34 PM
The New York Times, Thursday, April 3, 2014, 5:06pm EDT

DAVID LETTERMAN TO RETIRE IN 2015

By BILL CARTER, The New York Times

In the latest shakeup in the rapidly changing late-night television landscape, David Letterman, 66, said Thursday he would be retiring from his CBS show in 2015.

CBS announced Mr. Letterman’s decision late in the afternoon, after the taping of Thursday’s show. Mr. Letterman has hosted the show, “Late Night With David Letterman,'’ since 1993. Last October CBS extended his contract into 2015.

His eventual departure will mean that the 11:30 time slot in late-night programming will have a largely new lineup, with Jimmy Kimmel on ABC and Jimmy Fallon having recently replaced Jay Leno on NBC’s “Tonight'’ show.

The news first leaked out in a Tweet from Mike Mills, the former R.E.M. guitarist who was a musical guest on the show, which was taped Thursday afternoon.

Copyright © 2014 The New York Times Company

http://i1357.photobucket.com/albums/q749/transfan1/David_Letterman_zpsa6eb5183.jpg

(CBS) David Letterman on the set of the “Late Show with David Letterman" in 2013.

EvaCassini
04-04-2014, 12:33 AM
Wondering who's gonna replace him...I hope someone good. Like Louie C.K., Chris Rock, or Craig Ferguson.

RallyCola
04-04-2014, 01:41 AM
one might think that craig has the inside track but i think it will depend largely on how the tonight show and late night continues to do. craig is being schooled by seth meyers right now so a promotion does not appear to be deserved BUT if NBC's shows cool off, the cache of a late night name might help craig.

i have no idea about kimmel's contract but i'd bet if he was available, cbs would try to pluck him.

to me the most obvious move is for cbs to target Conan and pluck him from TBS. that said, i also think that is a mistake.

i'd love to see someone new but i know that most of the country doesn't like change so new blood is probably a long shot especially if the tonight show remains a beast.

Vladimir Putin
04-04-2014, 02:29 AM
I expect the two front runners to be Craig Ferguson and Conan O'Brien. If either of those guys is the eventual choice, it would be a boost to L.A. to make up for losing "The Tonight Show" to New York. Another possibility is Arsenio. Although his show is syndicated, it is owned by CBS nonetheless.

I agree it would be too risky to pick someone new and unknown. Of course Conan was an unknown when he was picked by NBC in 1993 to host "Late Night" and did well later, but I doubt CBS is willing to roll the dice with someone untested.

Vladimir Putin
04-04-2014, 02:41 AM
Or maybe CBS can go back to showing original "crime-time" TV shows in the 11:30pm hour, like they used to do in the late 80s and early 90s before they signed on Letterman. I remember back in the 70s CBS used to show low-budget or foreign horror films on Friday nights in the 11:30pm hour. I really miss that. "Mako: The Jaws of Death", "Beyond the Door" and "Phantasm" were three movies that aired on CBS late night.

RallyCola
04-04-2014, 02:43 AM
Yes, but as it is...Ferguson has terrible ratings so he would probably be a downgrade from letterman.

With Conan being unknown, it is far different. He was an unknown as Fallon was, as letterman was, etc...at 12:30. That is where he cut his teeth. 12:30 is a far easier time slot to risk than going head to head with the tonight show.

Arsenio does not really have the mass appeal necessary to occupy the slot. i don't see that happening.

EZWind
04-04-2014, 08:52 AM
Yes, but as it is...Ferguson has terrible ratings so he would probably be a downgrade from letterman.
....anyone would be a downgrade from Dave

Arsenio does not really have the mass appeal necessary to occupy the slot. i don't see that happening.
...Arsenio is cool, but you're right about the lack of mass appeal...not gonna happen

EZWind
04-04-2014, 09:10 AM
Wondering who's gonna replace him...I hope someone good. Like Louie C.K., Chris Rock, or Craig Ferguson.
Fergie is most likely the obvious choice. Louie and Chris are loaded w/ talent but are probly both too smart to get locked into a tell us all about your new show, book, movie or whatever late nite chat format. "So, what's this clip about we're going to see?" "Gee, I dunno" These people are going around flogging their new movie on 17 different talk shows w/ the same promo clip, yet they always pretend they don't know what's on it. Never could understand that.

Vladimir Putin
04-04-2014, 10:31 AM
Anybody think Jay Leno might give CBS a call? That would be the ultimate insult to Letterman.

Someone on the L.A. Times message board thought actor Greg Kinnear, who did a great job hosting "Talk Soup" on E! in the early 90s, might be a decent replacement. However it's been years since he's done a show so he might be a little rusty today.

Another possibility is Rosie O'Donnell, except her unpredictability and her bipolar behavior on "The View" might scare off suitors at CBS.

A long shot possibility is Byron Allen. He briefly hosted a syndicated weekly late-night talk show in the late 80s. He's currently on reruns on late night with "Last Comic Standing."

flabbybody
04-04-2014, 02:49 PM
Fergie is most likely the obvious choice. Louie and Chris are loaded w/ talent but are probly both too smart to get locked into a tell us all about your new show, book, movie or whatever late nite chat format. "So, what's this clip about we're going to see?" "Gee, I dunno" These people are going around flogging their new movie on 17 different talk shows w/ the same promo clip, yet they always pretend they don't know what's on it. Never could understand that.

Damn. That would have been perfect for my pet peeve thread.... when overpaid talentless celebrities can't be bothered being prepared to introduce the clip for the garbage movie they're whoring themselves to convince us to see.

EZWind
04-04-2014, 04:11 PM
Damn. That would have been perfect for my pet peeve thread.... when overpaid talentless celebrities can't be bothered being prepared to introduce the clip for the garbage movie they're whoring themselves to convince us to see.
...or at least they try and SEEM like they're not prepared...."Oh, ya know, I'm just So Busy, ya know?"
...quite often, some o them are actually fairly talented...but you're right, most o them are definitely overpaid
...love that peeve thread, btw...it's a lotta fun
...and, as long as we're on the subject of Dave retiring....I'll also miss Paul and the CBS Orchestra....the best damn house band of any of those shows ever

buttslinger
04-04-2014, 04:37 PM
Leno actually got better numbers than Dave because he deliberately courted the Midwest LazyBoy Set. But Jimmy Fallon is younger and hipper than Dave. He's like the old YOUNG Dave. And Conan will grab the youngsters also, it may be good business for CBS to get a VANILLA milquetoast kind of guy.
Drew Carey has slimmed down and squared down, maybe he and Craig Ferguson will team back up with their writers from twenty years ago.

ohioguy13
04-04-2014, 06:05 PM
Long overdue hes been a bit senile the last decade Leno might come back to replace him but ever since fallon has kicked his butt hes been debating cbs made the decision hes gone

Bopper007
04-05-2014, 01:42 AM
I've grown tired of Ferguson and his routine. The best thing on his show is when Leeza and Tuyen are dancing. For April Fools Drew Carey and Ferguson swapped jobs/shows and I thought Drew Carey was great taking over Ferguson's show.

EZWind
04-05-2014, 02:33 AM
For April Fools Drew Carey and Ferguson swapped jobs/shows .
...sorry I missed that. Not a big fan of Craig, but I'd definitely tune in for Drew...esp if he keeps Paul and the band.....chances of that are likely pretty slim...love that band

Dino Velvet
04-05-2014, 02:51 AM
It'll never happen but I'd tune in if the new guy was Norm MacDonald. Have Artie Lange on as his Ed MacMahon. If you can't get away with that at 11:30 then push it back an hour to 12:30. They'd totally get fired anyway no matter what.

http://comedycentral.mtvnimages.com/images/shows/sports_show/video/108/sportsshow_01_0108_09_V6.jpg?width=400&height=300&crop=true http://i614.photobucket.com/albums/tt221/My_Farts_Cause_Global_Warming/2ela1pt_zpsd754b917.gif

Dino Velvet
04-05-2014, 02:55 AM
Here's Norm on with Dave after being fired from Weekend Update. 1998, a while ago.

Norm MacDonald - David Letterman - 01-07-1998 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tudRETrphxk)

Ben
04-05-2014, 03:01 AM
http://i.qkme.me/35ihia.jpg

EZWind
04-05-2014, 07:22 AM
Here's Norm on with Dave after being fired from Weekend Update. 1998, a while ago.
...thanx, man...great clip...it's a perfect example of just how great both those guys are. Not sure Norm would fit in the talk show mold, tho. I used to get a big kick outta him when he was a frequent guest on Dennis Miller's old HBO show ( before Miller took that hard right turn off the deep end into the abyss of idiocracy). He would always talk about COCK...always in caps, too

RallyCola
04-05-2014, 01:08 PM
2 new names that i heard on the radio as potential replacements....ellen degenerous and michael strahan.

while ellen has a comedic background, i don't know if she translates to late night.
while strahan appears to be a juggernaut on morning tv, he plays off others and i really don't think he can deliver a monologue properly.

plus this is cbs which skews older and more timid so i expect a white guy to get the job.

Dino Velvet
04-05-2014, 07:37 PM
Someone mentioned Jon Stewart yesterday. That seems like a decent fit.

Vladimir Putin
04-05-2014, 09:42 PM

Jon Stewart would be perfect for the job. He may even kick both Jimmy's asses.

DeliaTS
04-05-2014, 10:58 PM
It will never happen but I would love to see Zach Galifianakis take the Late Night reigns!

Between Two Ferns with Zach Galifianakis: President Barack Obama from President Barack Obama, Zach Galifianakis, Scott Aukerman, BJPorter, Funny Or Die, Between Two Ferns, rachelgoldenberg, Brian Lane, Aaron Ulrich, and BoTown Sound (http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/18e820ec3f/between-two-ferns-with-zach-galifianakis-president-barack-obama)

I think Joel McHale (http://www.joelmchale.com/)would actually be a pretty good fit. He already seems to be plug into what's going on in the entertainment world.

Sara Silverman would be awesome too!

I wonder if they'll keep the show in New York?

maxpower
04-07-2014, 11:00 PM
Letterman Couch Gag | THE SIMPSONS | ANIMATION on FOX - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldhf30YtWkI)

EZWind
04-09-2014, 04:40 PM
...I've also heard Colbert mentioned...those guys are bleeped too much already on Comedy Central as it is, I doubt CBS would give them the freedom to do the show they want. Besides, I'd hate to see them reduced to interviewing whoever it is this week who's got a new movie coming out or who's got a bunch of cute zoo animals, etc.

buttslinger
04-09-2014, 05:53 PM
two words: Wolf Blitzer

Dave's son will be eleven, maybe he could step right in. Never miss a beat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji-cT58rgNc

broncofan
04-10-2014, 04:42 AM
Sad to see him go given how weak the late night line-up is getting. I say Jon Stewart also...think he'd be a pretty good fit.

Dino Velvet
04-10-2014, 04:58 AM
The Jon Stewart Show - 1995 final episode with guest David Letterman - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1Y8egU_McA)

nevada64
04-10-2014, 06:59 AM
Thanks Dino. That was cool to watch. Back then I didn't watch any TV, so I didn't even know this show existed. A little slice of history I never knew about.

Dino Velvet
04-10-2014, 06:18 PM
Thanks Dino. That was cool to watch. Back then I didn't watch any TV, so I didn't even know this show existed. A little slice of history I never knew about.

Thanks. I was fishing around YouTube and came across it. I figured there would be some good ass-kissing and maybe a few prophetic statements.

Just heard that CBS is going with Stephen Colbert.
http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/stephen-colbert-to-replace-david-letterman-1201155423/
http://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/colbert-stephen.jpg?w=670&h=377&crop=1

Dino Velvet
04-10-2014, 06:23 PM
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/stephen-colbert-named-letterman-replacement-160100374.html

Stephen Colbert Named Letterman Replacement

http://media.zenfs.com/284/2011/06/08/biz-insider-65x27_102440.gif (http://www.businessinsider.com/) By Aly Weisman 20 minutes ago

Comedy Central/"The Colbert Report"
Comedy Central's "Colbert Report" host Stephen Colbert has just been named David Letterman's successor on CBS' "Late Show."
The network just tweeted the news (https://twitter.com/CBSTweet): " Stephen Colbert to be next host of "The Late Show."
Colbert signed a 5-year agreement, starting when Letterman retires next year (http://www.businessinsider.com/david-letterman-retiring-2014-4).
Read the official press release (http://www.cbspressexpress.com/cbs-entertainment/releases/view?id=38627) from CBS below:
The CBS Television Network today announced that Stephen Colbert, the host, writer and executive producer of the Emmy and Peabody Award-winning “The Colbert Report,” will succeed David Letterman as the host of THE LATE SHOW, effective when Mr. Letterman retires from the broadcast. The five-year agreement between CBS and Colbert was announced by Leslie Moonves, President and CEO, CBS Corporation, and Nina Tassler, Chairman of CBS Entertainment.
Letterman, the legendary, critically acclaimed host of the CBS late night series for 21 years, announced his retirement on his April 3 broadcast . Colbert’s premiere date as host of THE LATE SHOW will be announced after Mr. Lettermen determines a timetable for his final broadcasts in 2015.
Specific creative elements, as well as the producers and the location for the Colbert-hosted LATE SHOW, will be determined and announced at a later date.
“Stephen Colbert is one of the most inventive and respected forces on television,” said Moonves. “David Letterman’s legacy and accomplishments are an incredible source of pride for all of us here, and today’s announcement speaks to our commitment of upholding what he established for CBS in late night.”
“Stephen is a multi-talented and respected host, writer, producer, satirist and comedian who blazes a trail of thought-provoking conversation, humor and innovation with everything he touches,” said Tassler. ”He is a presence on every stage, with interests and notable accomplishments across a wide spectrum of entertainment, politics, publishing and music. We welcome Stephen to CBS with great pride and excitement, and look forward to introducing him to our network television viewers in late night.”
“Simply being a guest on David Letterman’s show has been a highlight of my career,” said Colbert. “I never dreamed that I would follow in his footsteps, though everyone in late night follows Dave’s lead.”
Adding, “I’m thrilled and grateful that CBS chose me. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to go grind a gap in my front teeth.”
Since its launch on Comedy Central in 2005, “The Colbert Report” has received widespread critical acclaim while earning two Peabody Awards and 27 Emmy nominations, including an Emmy win for Outstanding Variety Series (2013) and three Emmy wins for Outstanding Writing for a Variety, Music or Comedy Program (2013, 2010, 2008). Prior to that, Colbert spent eight years as a correspondent on Comedy Central’s “The Daily Show” as an on-air personality and writer of news satire for the Emmy and Peabody Award-winning series.
In addition, Colbert is an accomplished author, with two books, I AM AMERICA (and So Can You!) and AMERICA AGAIN: Re-Becoming the Greatness We Never Weren’t , appearing on the New York Times best-seller list. AMERICA AGAIN also won a Grammy Award for Spoken Word (2014).
In music, Colbert’s original holiday musical special on Comedy Central, “A Colbert Christmas,” won a Grammy Award for Best Comedy Album (2009) and Emmy nominations for Art Direction, Picture Editing and Original Music and Lyrics. In April 2011, Colbert starred as Harry in the New York Philharmonic presentation of Stephen Sondheim’s “Company.”
After graduating from Northwestern University, Colbert was a member of Chicago’s acclaimed Second City improv troupe with Amy Sedaris and Paul Dinello. The trio later created and starred in the CableAce-nominated sketch comedy series, “Exit 57,” and created the cult-hit narrative series “Strangers with Candy,” both for Comedy Central.
Colbert has appeared on series such as HBO’s “Curb Your Enthusiasm” and NBC’s “Law & Order: Criminal Intent.” He was also a cast member and writer on ABC’s “The Dana Carvey Show,” wrote for “Saturday Night Live” and voiced roles in DreamWorks’ animated films “Mr. Peabody and Sherman” and “Monsters vs. Aliens.”
THE LATE SHOW is broadcast weeknights on the CBS Television Network from 11:35 PM - 12:37 AM, ET/PT.

EZWind
04-10-2014, 08:17 PM
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/stephen-colbert-named-letterman-replacement-160100374.html
Well, I guess it's a well deserved step up for Colbert. Love the Report, but to be honest, the phony O'Rielly/Beck/Hannity persona was starting to get a little old. It will be interesting to see him be himself.
As a side note....I see in your post that the numeral eight has been replaced w/ one o those stupid yellow smiley things....this happened to me as well recently and I was unable to prevent it....what's up with that?

Dino Velvet
04-10-2014, 08:23 PM
As a side note....I see in your post that the numeral eight has been replaced w/ one o those stupid yellow smiley things....this happened to me as well recently and I was unable to prevent it....what's up with that?

I found that the "8" thing does that when you follow it with a ")".

As far as Colbert, I'm happy with it and will give him a shot. He could have broad demographic appeal and make CBS lots of money.

dderek123
04-10-2014, 08:59 PM
Colbert will be a nice change. Funnier than Fallon by a million times.

Ben
04-11-2014, 02:38 AM
https://0-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/vp/image/1389/37/1389375844014.jpg

jobgoblin
04-11-2014, 02:39 AM

Million times smarter as well. Jimmy is great at sketches and songs and such, but comes off as a lightweight where any kind of depth or thinking is required.

flabbybody
04-11-2014, 06:46 AM
I strongly disagree, but what someone finds funny is an entirely subjective opinion.
We'll see how the ratings turn out when they go head to head

buttslinger
04-12-2014, 03:13 AM
Johnny Carson was KING, of course back then there were only two other channels to watch.

Dave should have stepped right into his shoes.

Rush Limbo said today that CBS has declared war on the American Heartland.

Colbert isn't shy about trashing Republicans. And O'Reilly is his favorite target.

Colbert was also a Sunday School teacher, he just might make those Midwest old ladies fall in love with him, just like Ice-T on Law & Order!!

Gonna miss Dave, and Paul. Good Times.

broncofan
04-12-2014, 06:57 AM
I don't know if Stewart was ever in the running but I think he'd have been a better fit than Colbert. I used to watch their shows back to back and Stewart is able to be funny without the over-the-top shtick. I also think Colbert's interviews were a bit hokey, with the mock right wing sarcasm. Maybe I didn't watch his show enough though. But we'll see...I thought Colbert was great years ago at the white house correspondent's dinner.

Edit: actually I'm only saying I think Stewart would have been a better fit because I've never seen Colbert out of character. But CBS must know what they're doing.

buttslinger
04-12-2014, 06:59 PM
I was just reading about this, Jon Stewart has been in the running at the big networks for years, behind closed doors, he is the face of Comedy Central though, and they pay him well.

Colbert will not be playing the character he plays on the Report, he'll be himself, an adult.

I think I'll go download Season I of Strangers with Candy.

Dr Phil and Judge Judy make more than Dave, not to mention Oprah.

trish
04-12-2014, 10:58 PM
The Colbert Report is a wonderful, half-hour, comedic platform for the expression of political opinion (Likewise for the Daily Show). Whereas the host of Late Night still has opportunity to express political opinion, it's a very different job with a very different goal. Showcasing celebrities, writers, singers and entertainers is a much bigger part of Late Night than The Colbert Report. Steve is immensely talented (he sings, he's done broadway, he hosts and entertains). I have no doubt he'll do a good job...but that's all still a year in the future.

Dino Velvet
04-13-2014, 12:07 AM
The more I think about this the more psyched I am about Colbert getting the opportunity. That 11:30PM(my time) time slot has been stale for some time. I know I should give Fallon a chance but I've never had much interest in the guy going back to SNL. Colbert is funny and adaptable. Once he tweaks his act he could have real broad appeal to both coasts and the middle of the country. I think he can make CBS some good money. NBC might wish they hired the guy instead of bringing in the next guy from the on-deck circle. We shall see.

Vladimir Putin
12-11-2014, 01:03 AM
The New York Times, Wednesday, December 10, 2014, 5:32pm EST

LETTERMAN'S "LATE SHOW" SCHEDULED TO END IN MAY

By BILL CARTER, The New York Times

Closing out a TV career that has spanned more than three decades and influenced a generation of comedians, David Letterman will end his record-setting run as a late-night star on May 20, CBS announced Wednesday.

Mr. Letterman, host of “Late Show With David Letterman,” has had a 32-year run, including a previous show on NBC, the longest tenure of any late-night host in television history. He announced last April that he would finish his CBS show at the end of his current contract, which concludes at the end of July.

His exact departure date was left unsettled, and CBS let him decide when he would perform on “Late Show” for the last time.

But the timing does affect the network’s plans for its succession to the new host, Stephen Colbert. No date has yet been set for Mr. Colbert’s premiere on CBS, though he will leave his current show, “The Colbert Report,” on Comedy Central, next week.

Several executives involved in the transition have predicted that Mr. Colbert would start on “Late Show” next September. That would leave more than three months between Mr. Letterman’s departure and Mr. Colbert’s debut.

So far, CBS had not said how it will fill that hour in the interim. Chris Ender, a CBS entertainment spokesman, said Wednesday that the network had nothing to announce yet, though it has “discussed a variety of options” to fill the time period.

CBS faced a similar situation with its 12:35 a.m. show. Craig Ferguson, who has starred on “The Late Late Show” since 2005, is finishing his run Dec. 19. His replacement, James Corden, will start in March. CBS has announced a roster of guest hosts in the interim.

But using substitute hosts for “Late Show” would be more complicated, because Mr. Colbert will be moving into the Ed Sullivan Theater in New York after Mr. Letterman exits. The set will be torn down, and Mr. Colbert’s staff will take over the offices vacated by Mr. Letterman’s. That process will take weeks.

Any guest host arrangement for the “Late Show” would have to be set in a temporary studio and require an interim staff.

The network could use Letterman reruns, but that might play awkwardly. It could run repeats of, say, “NCIS.” Or it could ask Mr. Corden to fill that hour for a few months, though that could cause confusion about who is actually succeeding Mr. Letterman.

Mr. Ender said the network would probably announce a decision soon.

Copyright © 2014 The New York Times Company

Yuengling
12-11-2014, 01:10 AM
Wow are you really President Putin? I didn't know he was into tgirls!

Zdrastwicha! Kak dela?

Vladimir Putin
12-11-2014, 04:56 AM
Wow are you really President Putin? I didn't know he was into tgirls!

Yes, but let that be our little secret. I don't want either the Ukrainian government or my Russia-backed rebels in Crimea to know about it.