PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Fred Phelps

bluesoul
03-20-2014, 07:27 PM
Fred Phelps -- the founding pastor of a Kansas church known for its virulently anti-gay protests at public events, including military funerals -- has died, the church said Thursday.

The 84-year-old died of natural causes at 11:15 p.m. Wednesday, according to church spokesman Steve Drain.

Phelps founded Westboro Baptist Church of Topeka, Kansas, in 1955 and molded it in his fire-and-brimstone image. Many members of the small congregation are related to Phelps through blood or marriage.

http://media.kansascity.com/smedia/2014/03/17/08/51/tAA6N.St.81.jpg

trish
03-20-2014, 07:33 PM
Good night Mr. Phelps. This tape will self-destruct in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1....

Dino Velvet
03-20-2014, 07:51 PM
http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_content_width/hash/8d/83/8d83d3618dadc23ad887669c3c11764b.jpg?itok=hvWUzm3C

The Judge
03-20-2014, 08:57 PM
One less cunt in tha world

kittyKaiti
03-20-2014, 09:16 PM
And nothing of value was lost. I lol'd. :lol::lol::lol::claps:peanutbutter:peanutbutter: :dead: :dead:

CORVETTEDUDE
03-20-2014, 10:59 PM
I want to know where they bury him so I can piss on his grave!!

robertlouis
03-20-2014, 11:00 PM
Let's just for once suppose that there is a heaven so that St Peter can kick Phelps' bigoted arse all the way down to hell.

flabbybody
03-20-2014, 11:29 PM
what's the opposite designation for R.I.P ?

trish
03-20-2014, 11:41 PM
what's the opposite designation for R.I.P ?
I'm guessing G.T.H. for
Go To Hell

dderek123
03-20-2014, 11:49 PM
Another cunt bites the dust.

wearboots4me
03-20-2014, 11:50 PM
:banana: Fuck Fred Phelps. The world is a better place without him.

The Judge
03-21-2014, 12:00 AM
Well, we can see this fucker was well loved by all

emmettray
03-21-2014, 12:29 AM
http://s23.postimg.org/nhtl9atrf/Nelson.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

Fudoshin
03-21-2014, 12:37 AM
Good riddance to scum

Jimmy W
03-21-2014, 01:47 AM
Rest In Piss scumbag

beatlephil
03-21-2014, 02:00 AM
His passing isn't going to change anything. The church will continue and he had a dozen children who are as devout to his cause as he was. And so it goes...

Ben
03-21-2014, 02:39 AM
Fred Phelps -- the founding pastor of a Kansas church known for its virulently anti-gay protests at public events, including military funerals -- has died, the church said Thursday.

The 84-year-old died of natural causes at 11:15 p.m. Wednesday, according to church spokesman Steve Drain.

Phelps founded Westboro Baptist Church of Topeka, Kansas, in 1955 and molded it in his fire-and-brimstone image. Many members of the small congregation are related to Phelps through blood or marriage.

What happens to that charming Church now.... Does the decent daughter take command of the charming Church???
Not sure why we -- or the mainstream press, as it were -- pay attention to these people. I mean, it's a church in Topeka, Kansas composed of around 20 members.
Kinda curious what they all think of Derrick Barry -- ha ha ha ha ha! :) ;)

Ben
03-21-2014, 02:41 AM
Nate Phelps: Reflections on his Father:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKdkR3fT6Xc

gaysian71
03-21-2014, 03:08 AM
Thank god. Lol

red-cyberman
03-21-2014, 03:15 AM
First of all I don't know what to say. The words here in this topic are as nasty as the words in the protests that he used to do. I disagree with him 100% but calling someone names when he's dead and can't respond that's so low. Why any of you didn't confront him and said your thoughts to his face. I say he's dead and hatred bring hatred and his "church" is not church. I am not a religious man but I have friends that are and they respect and love everybody and help others.

S.Eelman
03-21-2014, 03:47 AM
I am somewhat hopeful that the bigotry & hatred he spewed during his life, will die off now... thought knowing what i do about his family, it probably won't..
But one can be hopeful..

sukumvit boy
03-21-2014, 03:47 AM
Now , THIS , is some funny shit ,LMFAO! Thanks for this THREAD , FRED .:banana::kiss:

Ben
03-21-2014, 03:49 AM
The Amazing Atheist: "Fred Phelps is dead and I have no interest in taking the high road about it":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JUEZglUQyk

runningdownthatdream
03-21-2014, 03:55 AM
Well the good news is that he's dead. The better news is that his little cult will now absolutely fall apart as he was the tie that bound them together. The crazy outsider ex-journalist who joined him will likely try to keep things going but as the doc below showed, he'll like end up doing it alone since his kids don't really want to be a part of the Phelps crazy.

Louis Theroux America's Most Hated Family in Crisis. - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF1oAsgzchA)

(Louis Theroux does great work! For another really well-done piece full of unintended humour check out his doc on the Neo-Nazi movement in the US Louis Theroux The Nazis BBC Documentary)- - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhWzXLyYQyU))

wearboots4me
03-21-2014, 04:04 AM
All anyone will remember him for is picketing the funerals of fallen soldiers and hate crime victims. That's nothing to be proud of. I hope he thought about that on his deathbed.

broncofan
03-21-2014, 05:51 AM
First of all I don't know what to say. The words here in this topic are as nasty as the words in the protests that he used to do. I disagree with him 100% but calling someone names when he's dead and can't respond that's so low. Why any of you didn't confront him and said your thoughts to his face. I say he's dead and hatred bring hatred and his "church" is not church. I am not a religious man but I have friends that are and they respect and love everybody and help others.
I shake my head that you think there's some parallel to be drawn between people who are glad that a bigot has died and a bigot who celebrates the death of homosexuals.

The most obvious difference of course is that he spread hatred and dislike of people who were entirely blameless. He picketed synagogues with signs that said the Jews killed Christ and funerals of gay men with signs that said God hates fags.

Neither does all criticism of a person have to cease when they have died. If you would have said it when he was alive and you believe it, there's no reason not to say it now. We don't owe him a vow of silence.

red-cyberman
03-21-2014, 07:21 AM
I shake my head that you think there's some parallel to be drawn between people who are glad that a bigot has died and a bigot who celebrates the death of homosexuals.

The most obvious difference of course is that he spread hatred and dislike of people who were entirely blameless. He picketed synagogues with signs that said the Jews killed Christ and funerals of gay men with signs that said God hates fags.

Neither does all criticism of a person have to cease when they have died. If you would have said it when he was alive and you believe it, there's no reason not to say it now. We don't owe him a vow of silence.

I agree with most of what you said. As I mentioned before I am 100% against all what he said and I know that he spread hatred and I heard all the horrible things he said. What I am saying is two wrongs don't make a right. We should be better than him. He was an obnoxious person and died. That's all cause when you mention him you give him more that what he deserved and that's attention.

Stavros
03-21-2014, 08:26 AM
I have no reaction to this man's actual death, as I never knew him. From what I know, I think Phelps was wrong, but the most incisive moral judgement on the man has been made by himself and his followers and their reduction of religion to a set of deliberately provocative slogans. In Phelps' case, the message is in the medium.

The worst thing possible would be for this kind of 'free speech' to become a brand. It means if there is a gap in the market, someone else will emerge, if not from the Phelps family then somewhere else, who knows they can get lots of publicity by re-branding 'Phelps' into whoever they are. There is a woman in the UK whose reputation, made primarily on tv, rests on her saying outrageous things, and as that is what she is known for, it has become her 'brand'. And the media love it.

dc_guy_75
03-21-2014, 09:52 AM
Benghazi, Obamacare, Ukraine, Malaysian Airplanes, Fred Phelps.

It shows that Obama is obviously a weak president.

surefire
03-21-2014, 12:35 PM
I smiled when I saw that the piece of shit Phelps had finally taken a dirt nap.

If I am ever anywhere near where he is buried, I will be sure to take a long piss on his grave.

dderek123
03-21-2014, 01:01 PM
Well the good news is that he's dead. The better news is that his little cult will now absolutely fall apart as he was the tie that bound them together. The crazy outsider ex-journalist who joined him will likely try to keep things going but as the doc below showed, he'll like end up doing it alone since his kids don't really want to be a part of the Phelps crazy.

Louis Theroux America's Most Hated Family in Crisis. - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF1oAsgzchA)

(Louis Theroux does great work! For another really well-done piece full of unintended humour check out his doc on the Neo-Nazi movement in the US Louis Theroux The Nazis BBC Documentary)- - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhWzXLyYQyU))

Here's a nice long interview with Louise Theroux.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjeV2_hKLao

The interviewer is a bit annoying though.

RallyCola
03-21-2014, 01:15 PM
hmm...i had very vile thoughts of corpse desecration run through my mind and i was happy.

Ben in LA
03-21-2014, 02:14 PM
Something is wrong with this picture...

fred41
03-21-2014, 02:36 PM
At least now he serves a useful purpose as worm food.

The Judge
03-21-2014, 03:04 PM
This

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46K9jNPzUHs

Always_aUnicorn
03-21-2014, 03:27 PM
They say you should speak good about the dead. . . He is dead- GOOD!

bimale69
03-21-2014, 05:53 PM
good riddance to bad rubbish.

mildcigar_2001
03-21-2014, 08:25 PM
I've always thought the Reverend Phelps was mad as a hatter.

I just wonder what went wrong so that he became so obsessed with hating gays. It is one thing not to like gays and disapprove of their lifestyle, but it is quite another to become obsessed to the point you are thinking about the object of your hatred 24 hours a day.

It must be hell to be so obsessed with something to the point it controls your life. Then if hating gays was not sufficient obnoxious behavior he starting protesting at the funerals of America's war dead.

One thing I have noted that a lot of the news coverage has failed to mention that Fred Phelps and his family are all Democrats. Mr. Phelps before he went completely off the deep end had even won awards from the NAACP for his civil rights work as an attorney (prior to disbarment). I suppose it goes to show that any one man is neither all good or all bad.

I assume that the church will be gone in 5-10 years, as most of these type of cults tend to wither away after their charismatic leaders passes away.

Prospero
03-21-2014, 08:42 PM
Ironic that when a worthless bigot dies, this thread runs and runs yet when good, creative people pass, the folk here have much less to say. He is gone. Let's just forget him.

bluesoul
03-21-2014, 11:54 PM
Ironic that when a worthless bigot dies, this thread runs and runs yet when good, creative people pass, the folk here have much less to say. He is gone. Let's just forget him.

it's also worth noting that most people have basically done exactly what he did :D

dderek123
03-22-2014, 03:37 AM
Fuck that guy.

steviedresses
03-22-2014, 04:01 AM
The Church will live on with out him. One of his daughters, Shirley Phelps-Roper took over as the public 'voice' of the church several years ago and continues their message and leading of the protests. She is as crazy about it as her dad.

It will only stop when all the kids leave... Every year or so another kid grows up and leaves the 'cult'. They have to choose a normal life of their family. What an awful thing to do to your kids...

Ben
03-22-2014, 04:14 AM
The Church will live on with out him. One of his daughters, Shirley Phelps-Roper took over as the public 'voice' of the church several years ago and continues their message and leading of the protests. She is as crazy about it as her dad.

It will only stop when all the kids leave... Every year or so another kid grows up and leaves the 'cult'. They have to choose a normal life of their family. What an awful thing to do to your kids...

Yep, sadly, Mrs. Roper is crazy like her dastardly Daddy.
Just a question: do they actually like anything????????

broncofan
03-22-2014, 05:13 AM
It doesn't diminish the irony for me to suggest why. No matter how unoriginal they are, outrageous comments attract attention. Given the choice between commenting on someone who's gotten tons of press and a person who may be an excellent flamenco guitarist, but who I know nothing about, I am limited to commenting on the former.

If only we had perfect attention spans, impeccable taste, and endless sophistication we would know more about under-appreciated artists than tabloid bigots.:D

Fred Phelps' beliefs are expressed in the most virulent and extreme form. They are easy to attack, but the average homophobe is not so obvious. Such a person may say they think Fred Phelps is disgusting, but they cause far more damage than he does when they discriminate against co-workers or actively oppose measures meant to end the marginalization of gay men and women. It's also a shame in my view that Fred Phelps causes so much more outrage than Sarah Palin, Rick Santorum, or Ron Paul (the ideological hero of some posters here and a doctor who yearns for the days when gay men remained in the closet and was afraid to let a gay staffer use his toilet; yes a real doctor who was afraid of having a gay ass touch his toilet seat).

uchetal
03-22-2014, 01:36 PM
Now if his loud mouth daughter met with an untimely demise...

mildcigar_2001
03-22-2014, 01:39 PM
The below linked article does a nice job of summarizing the mostly irrelevant life of Mr. Phelps:

http://spectator.org/articles/58362/fred-phelps-huckster