PDA

View Full Version : TS Performers wanted for PHD interview

TempestTS
02-25-2014, 03:09 PM
special note from my friend NATS, he was the rocker boy who accompanied me to the Tranny Awards last week. He is working on his PHD and is looking for TS performers to interview - Ill let him tell the story

Hello ladies , my names is NATS and some of you my know my amazing friend, Rockdoll Tempest . Anyway , I am a PhD. Student in the final phases of my school career and some of you may know the final step to becoming a Doctor is to write an original research paper called a Doctoral Dissertation. For my Dissertation, I am doing a qualitative design which basically means I help the reader better understand a very unique type of person. Since Transgender are the most misunderstood people in my profession of psychology , I want to do everything I can to bring awareness of the experiences of trans people and how we as psychologists can better understand the community. Since any Trans person who wants to undergo SRS surgery will need two years of mandated psychotherapy, we need to make sure that psychologists understand Trans clients. Right now. The reality is, they don’t really have a clue and this needs to change.
So what I am asking is, if you would simply be willing to be interviewed on your life’s experiences . The questioning may revolve around your gender identity formation and the process of coming out as your non-birth gender… or your experiences working in the “adult” industry as a Trans person. Interviews will be about an hour long, but the help and information you bring to the world of Psychology and understanding will last forever . I live in Southern California so if you are in my area I can come interview you in person , if not, we could set up Skype or some other format . No names will be used as everything is strictly confidential. Also, you WILL be able to see/ read the Dissertation when it is completed if you so wish. Who knows , it may become a study that is referenced and used to help the understanding of the Trans community for years to come.
You can get ahold of me via email , Facebook or Twitter if you would be willing to help out the cause :-D

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/nats22
Twitter - @nats22
Email – natsbabel@gmail.com

nysprod
02-25-2014, 03:51 PM
special note from my friend NATS, he was the rocker boy who accompanied me to the Tranny Awards last week. He is working on his PHD and is looking for TS performers to interview - Ill let him tell the story

Since any Trans person who wants to undergo SRS surgery will need two years of mandated psychotherapy, we need to make sure that psychologists understand Trans clients. Right now. The reality is, they don’t really have a clue and this needs to change.

Ok, some very interesting things going on here...and no, I'm not a trans person and I'm not planning to undergo SRS.

Taking the last part first, I'm fascinated over the idea that psychologists, who "don't really have a clue" about "Trans clients" are the apparent gatekeepers regarding who will ultimately be receiving SRS since 2 years of psychotherapy is mandated (I'll get to the mandated part later).

Now, I have no idea about the level of "clue" that a psychologist in field may or may not have, but I will ask about how exactly he established the idea that practicing psychologists who typically work with trans persons wishing to undergo SRS don't really have a clue is indeed a reality...are there studies which have been done that have indicated this is indeed true, has he collected and analyzed some data and/or has he spoken with many practitioners involved in treating trans clients who've indicated this?

This is important because scientific methods and protocols have to be used before something can indeed be considered to be scientific fact (or reality)...and even then, "facts" can always later be found incorrect especially when dealing with something as nebulous as the human psyche.

In any event there is an entire class of trans persons who will have no intention of undergoing this process anyway, and will simply opt to have their SRS performed in Brazil or Thailand (which is probably a better idea anyway) where the only requirement that is mandated will be money.

nysprod
02-25-2014, 04:15 PM
BTW, how did he come to the conclusion that interviewing sex performers was going to have any relevance vis a vis other persons who want to undergo SRS that are not?

TempestTS
02-26-2014, 01:26 AM
BTW, how did he come to the conclusion that interviewing sex performers was going to have any relevance vis a vis other persons who want to undergo SRS that are not?

He wanted to just do the Thesis on Transgendered individuals as a whole but they told him that was too large of a group and to narrow it to a niche population... not sure why he chose sex performers but it could be that since he's known me for nearly 10 years that aspect intrigued him.

TempestTS
02-26-2014, 01:30 AM
Ok, some very interesting things going on here...and no, I'm not a trans person and I'm not planning to undergo SRS.

Taking the last part first, I'm fascinated over the idea that psychologists, who "don't really have a clue" about "Trans clients" are the apparent gatekeepers regarding who will ultimately be receiving SRS since 2 years of psychotherapy is mandated (I'll get to the mandated part later).

Now, I have no idea about the level of "clue" that a psychologist in field may or may not have, but I will ask about how exactly he established the idea that practicing psychologists who typically work with trans persons wishing to undergo SRS don't really have a clue is indeed a reality...are there studies which have been done that have indicated this is indeed true, has he collected and analyzed some data and/or has he spoken with many practitioners involved in treating trans clients who've indicated this?

This is important because scientific methods and protocols have to be used before something can indeed be considered to be scientific fact (or reality)...and even then, "facts" can always later be found incorrect especially when dealing with something as nebulous as the human psyche.

In any event there is an entire class of trans persons who will have no intention of undergoing this process anyway, and will simply opt to have their SRS performed in Brazil or Thailand (which is probably a better idea anyway) where the only requirement that is mandated will be money.

Well there are some really good psychologists but I can tell you from experience that the field is littered with the ones who dont have a clue. Its the top complaint by many TG individuals.

Im sure he is well aware that there is a whole class of TG who have no inclination to SRS - he knows me and I have no plans for SRS - This is a narrow study for a Thesis - its not intended to be a book and cant possibly cover everything.

He's simply trying to improve the field that he is going into and hopes to improve the lives of TG individuals as a whole at some point but this is just a tiny tiny step in the process. dont be too hard on him - he's doing good things :)

MrsKellyPierce
02-26-2014, 09:37 AM
I responded to you via facebook

Tashajones
02-26-2014, 10:32 AM
Sent a message on FB as well. I would love to help out anyway I can.

GroobySteven
02-26-2014, 10:41 AM
I like the idea - but I think narrowing it down to "sex performers" is highly problematic, in the context of what he's asking. If it was a TS sex performer thesis, it would be more pertinent.

TempestTS
02-26-2014, 03:57 PM
Thanks Kelly, Tasha and Grooby

Steven: I understand your concerns, to be honest Im just making introductions and spreading the word because Ive known Nats for quite some time - I dont want to answer the what - why's and hows of what he is doing for research but Ill Invite him to join HA so he can answer them himself and it might stimulate some discussion that could be useful on the project.

nysprod
02-26-2014, 04:20 PM
Well there are some really good psychologists but I can tell you from experience that the field is littered with the ones who dont have a clue. Its the top complaint by many TG individuals.

Doctors will counter that you can only do so much with what you're given to work with, i.e. if you do a liver transplant on someone who's 50lbs overweight with high blood pressure and diabetes, the results will not be as good as with a patient who doesn't have these issues.

Same as I can work with Tiger Woods' golf coach but there's no way he'll be able to make me as good.

Kelly, I have a lot of respect for you but imo, you were not kind to Krissy.

GroobySteven
02-27-2014, 01:52 PM
Tempest, I think it would be great if NATS comes in here (might need to change his name though, as it's too confusing with the NATS system that every adult site uses) and talks a bit more about what he's looking for and what he's trying to achieve as this is a wealth of opportunity.
I've actually been approached a couple of times to co-author a PHD based on the mass of years of information and access I have to similar subjects, now if I just had the time.

Nats
03-21-2014, 06:06 AM
Tempest, I think it would be great if NATS comes in here (might need to change his name though, as it's too confusing with the NATS system that every adult site uses) and talks a bit more about what he's looking for and what he's trying to achieve as this is a wealth of opportunity.
I've actually been approached a couple of times to co-author a PHD based on the mass of years of information and access I have to similar subjects, now if I just had the time.
What more would you like to know about what I am looking for ?

Nats
03-21-2014, 06:07 AM
I like the idea - but I think narrowing it down to "sex performers" is highly problematic, in the context of what he's asking. If it was a TS sex performer thesis, it would be more pertinent.

It would be a TS sex performers Dissertation , not Thesis , Thesis is for a Masters Degree ....

Nats
03-21-2014, 06:08 AM

Did you send me a Facebook message ?

Nats
03-21-2014, 06:15 AM

Ive been in the field almost 10 years , have a BA and an MA in Psych and I also know many practitioners who have worked with trans clients who ARE wishing to undergo SRS who really have no idea about TG people. I know the research and I know the psychologists , hence the want/ need this dissertation . I am not going to argue the validity of various psychological research or how psych research may not always be scripture and I also know many people here are NOT going to undergo SRS or they will get it elsewhere . I work within the confines of The law of the United States and this is where I approach my career from . Many TG people will undergo SRS in the states , and for them, they need a therapist who understands them , no ?

TempestTS
03-21-2014, 06:23 AM
Hey Nats, glad you finally made it. I think there is some genuine interest and curiosity in your project here and a lot of the people who posted in this thread are long time members and we kinda all know each other here to some degree so feel free to just fill everyone in on what your looking for and what you are trying to accomplish.