PDA

View Full Version : Gilbert's Extra Super Mule Burrito

Dino Velvet
01-30-2014, 01:44 AM
Gilbert's is a great Mexican place in Santa Monica on Pico Bl just east of Cloverfield. I walked in about 2:30 PM and already people were sprawled out all over the place drinking. I enjoy that type of atmosphere. The bench where people wait for their tables turned into a table when these guys pulled one in. They accommodated them and kinda hung out with them. Obvious regulars that look at the place like a second home. This is totally racist but the Mexicans have always been good bringing a festive mood to their places. Going to dinner seems like partying when you go there. Whitey here totally approves.

Anyway, that burrito was so big my mother woulda called it "VULGAR!!!" if she were still around. The meat was flavorful and tender more like a Chili Colorado and the rest was stuffed with all kinds of goodness topped with a couple Ortega Green Chilis.

4.3 stars on Google and 4 on Yelp. Not bad.
http://gilbertselindiorestaurant.menutoeat.com/

http://s3-media4.ak.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/MP-HCWYQ6ai1LUB_zhdpwQ/l.jpg

http://s3-media4.ak.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/NbTL2icZIO2NiePYfA35Rw/l.jpg

thombergeron
01-30-2014, 02:25 AM
LA's got some good taco trucks, and some of the best Korean food outside of Seoul, but if I'm not in the Mission here in SF, I don't order burritos. It's just not worth it.

I've been trying for 20 years to figure out why Mission-style burritos are non-replicable outside of the Mission, but it is a simple fact. They can't even pull it off in East Bay. That thing looks OK, Dino. But I guarantee if you eat a super burrito de carnitas at El Farolito on Mission at 24th, it'll ruin all other burritos forever.

Dino Velvet
01-30-2014, 02:28 AM
LA's got some good taco trucks, and some of the best Korean food outside of Seoul, but if I'm not in the Mission here in SF, I don't order burritos. It's just not worth it.

I've been trying for 20 years to figure out why Mission-style burritos are non-replicable outside of the Mission, but it is a simple fact. They can't even pull it off in East Bay. That thing looks OK, Dino. But I guarantee if you eat a super burrito de carnitas at El Farolito on Mission at 24th, it'll ruin all other burritos forever.

Any good Korean Food recommendations for the Westside? I found some OK places close-by but the real deal in K-Town is a bit far. Love to get some spicy garlicky BBQ around here.

thombergeron
01-30-2014, 02:41 AM
Any good Korean Food recommendations for the Westside? I found some OK places close-by but the real deal in K-Town is a bit far. Love to get some spicy garlicky BBQ around here.

Dude, just get on the 10. K-town's not that far and it's a sure bet.

Beyond that, I'd have to ask my brother's fucking wife. She's from Silver Lake and knows all the good spots. I try to stay out of LA as much as I can since it sucks there. Every time I'm on Vermont Ave, I'm reminded of that Tom Waits song, "No one speaks English, and everything's broken..."

Dino Velvet
01-30-2014, 02:47 AM
Dude, just get on the 10. K-town's not that far and it's a sure bet.

Beyond that, I'd have to ask my brother's fucking wife. She's from Silver Lake and knows all the good spots. I try to stay out of LA as much as I can since it sucks there. Every time I'm on Vermont Ave, I'm reminded of that Tom Waits song, "No one speaks English, and everything's broken..."

I guess the next time I get a hooker from The Philippines I'll grab some Korean Food to go. I'm a little Od'd on Kebabs over here in Westwood.

I see less Whites like me and even less English speakers every day but enjoy my city as long as I don't have to deal with criminals.

broncofan
01-30-2014, 02:51 AM
I guess the next time I get a hooker from The Philippines I'll grab some Korean Food to go. I'm a little Od'd on Kebabs over here in Westwood.

I see less Whites like me and even less English speakers every day but enjoy my city as long as I don't have to deal with criminals.
I like Westwood. That's a nice area and from what I remember a half dozen years ago good food. There was an INN n Out burger, Stan's donuts, etc. Were you in LA when they had the Hamburger Hamlet in Westwood. Probably close to 15 years ago?

Dino Velvet
01-30-2014, 03:03 AM
I like Westwood. That's a nice area and from what I remember a half dozen years ago good food. There was an INN n Out burger, Stan's donuts, etc. Were you in LA when they had the Hamburger Hamlet in Westwood. Probably close to 15 years ago?

Huell Howser did a 30 minute special on Stan's Donuts. The In 'n' Out Burger is in the same place where it took over The Sizzler and KFC.

You know what I miss? Ship's Coffee Shop. Place was always packed, you made your own toast and burned it, and got a melba peach with every meal. Saw this movie called Fade To Black made in 1980 and this couple met right in front with a great camera shot. Norm MacDonald has also made fun of their toaster during stand-up.

Dude, if you haven't been around for about 10 years come look to see how the area has changed. Century City is now multi-level too. They tore up Santa Monica Bl and widened it also. Don't have to take Olympic everywhere anymore. More potholes than ever though so drive a truck.

broncofan
01-30-2014, 03:07 AM
I remember the toasters at Ships. Junior's Delicatesssen. Pioneer Chicken. I'll have to go out to LA eventually. I was a split second from moving there about 4 years ago. It's been probably six or seven years since I've been in LA.

Tina Francis
01-30-2014, 03:23 AM
You guys remember Uncle John's Pancake House on Franklin and Wilshire?....yummmm...

Dino Velvet
01-30-2014, 04:46 AM
I remember the toasters at Ships. Junior's Delicatesssen. Pioneer Chicken. I'll have to go out to LA eventually. I was a split second from moving there about 4 years ago. It's been probably six or seven years since I've been in LA.

Junior's Deli sold and is now Lenny's Deli. Pretty much same deal I've heard. Check this out. All Jerry's Delis are gone. All of them. Westwood, Marina, West Hollywood, Encino, all of them. That menu musta had 400 items on it but really 35 with everything being basically the same. I liked the Carne Asada there. Did you know Andy Kaufman was a busboy at the Encino one during his prime? He did it as a gag to see if people recognized him.

Pioneer Chicken is almost done for too. Only one I know is on Olympic just east of Fairfax.

Dino Velvet
01-30-2014, 04:51 AM
You guys remember Uncle John's Pancake House on Franklin and Wilshire?....yummmm...

In Santa Monica? Never been there. Is it gone now? Hate when they close good places to eat when you were born in the town. I miss A&W on Santa Monica/Barrington. Stuffed my fat face after Little League games as a piece o' shit kid there.

broncofan
01-30-2014, 05:39 AM
Junior's Deli sold and is now Lenny's Deli. Pretty much same deal I've heard. Check this out. All Jerry's Delis are gone. All of them. Westwood, Marina, West Hollywood, Encino, all of them. That menu musta had 400 items on it but really 35 with everything being basically the same. I liked the Carne Asada there. Did you know Andy Kaufman was a busboy at the Encino one during his prime? He did it as a gag to see if people recognized him.

Pioneer Chicken is almost done for too. Only one I know is on Olympic just east of Fairfax.
Thanks. LA and its iconic food places. I actually found a site right after I posted the Hamburger Hamlet thing that was about old LA restaurants. I'm going to request they do some profiles if I can think of anything. I kind of hope I end up on the west coast again one day...if I can tolerate the traffic. Didn't know that about Andy Kaufman. I liked Jerry's Deli.

http://www.oldlarestaurants.com/

Tina, I haven't heard about that restaurant but that doesn't mean much. Maybe the above site has a profile or could do one.

broncofan
01-30-2014, 05:46 AM
In Santa Monica? Never been there. Is it gone now? Hate when they close good places to eat when you were born in the town. I miss A&W on Santa Monica/Barrington. Stuffed my fat face after Little League games as a piece o' shit kid there.
http://www.oldlarestaurants.com/aw-root-beer/

Apparently you aint the only one. Other little leaguers remember stuffing their fat faces there too.

Dino Velvet
01-30-2014, 09:19 PM
http://www.oldlarestaurants.com/aw-root-beer/

Apparently you aint the only one. Other little leaguers remember stuffing their fat faces there too.

I'm old enough to remember quarreling over the Space Invaders and Asteroids video games in there. Galaxian was coming soon.

They turned it into a women's gym and when the broads wouldn't work out they sold pottery in there then they got the womens.

nysprod
01-30-2014, 09:55 PM
I'm old enough to remember quarreling over the Space Invaders and Asteroids video games in there. Galaxian was coming soon.

They turned it into a women's gym and when the broads wouldn't work out they sold pottery in there then they got the womens.

Probably your buritto encrusted fingers left goo all over the joystick too lmao

Dino Velvet
01-30-2014, 09:56 PM
Probably your buritto encrusted fingers left goo all over the joystick too lmao

You were in there 10 years before me fighting over Pong.

nysprod
01-30-2014, 10:15 PM
You were in there 10 years before me fighting over Pong.

Lol 20 over air hockey...could get facial bruises with that game...fun!

Tina Francis
01-30-2014, 10:49 PM
Thanks. LA and its iconic food places. I actually found a site right after I posted the Hamburger Hamlet thing that was about old LA restaurants. I'm going to request they do some profiles if I can think of anything. I kind of hope I end up on the west coast again one day...if I can tolerate the traffic. Didn't know that about Andy Kaufman. I liked Jerry's Deli.

http://www.oldlarestaurants.com/

Tina, I haven't heard about that restaurant but that doesn't mean much. Maybe the above site has a profile or could do one.

Oh man, thanx for that link...Woody's...Bit O' Scotland...whenever I walk past Zucky's building I always recall the time I met the Governator there, holding court with his workout buddies. Must have been about '75-'76...I fondly recall the Goody-Goody drive in on Wilshire/Berkeley. It was a national chain and there is a website with a ton of history relating to it. The store later became a Delores'. Memories.

Dino Velvet
01-31-2014, 03:32 AM
The store later became a Delores'. Memories.

I got a Dolores story. I started dating this gal and weaved my truck in their parking lot after hours of us boozing together. She tried to drink a few Jack Daniels and that wasn't a very good idea. She barely got her breakfast order out then ran off to the lady's toilet for 20 minutes. By the time she finished up in there I was almost done eating her breakfast.