PDA

View Full Version : David and Goliath

sukumvit boy
01-08-2014, 03:50 AM
Fascinating and well written .
Malcolm Gladwell, "David and Goliath" | Talks at Google - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L0GGfQblrc)

subtitle: Underdogs ,Misfits ,and the Art of Battling Giants.

Stavros
01-08-2014, 06:56 AM
Thanks for the link, he is always an entertaining speaker, but I do find some of his approaches to issues lacking in originality; I have heard some of this before or read it and cant cite a specific source, but there has always been room for someone who is not wedded to an academic department to parachute in and out of the varieties of intellectual experience that exist -Ivan Illich was good at this sort of thing. Remember Tools for Conviviality? There was also an Austrian/French thinker called Andre Gorz who approached labour and technology from different angles than mainstream economists. And others. And I don't think he is ever seriously challenged so it is a bit of a love-fest.

dderek123
01-08-2014, 09:11 PM
Haven't read this one yet. I really enjoyed tipping point and outliers. Great reads for long flights.
Unfortunately, he cherry picks stats to prove his points. So his conclusions are more anecdotal than scientific. Very entertaining and inspiring author though.

sukumvit boy
01-09-2014, 02:37 AM
Thanks guys , good points . Now I must check out Illich and Gorz.

MaldonadoGreta
01-13-2014, 02:28 PM
I love this guy, he's really convincing and gives me food for thought. Love it!