PDA

View Full Version : What is this Duck Dynasty shit going on?

Silcc69
12-21-2013, 12:04 AM
*A&E Network has reportedly had to beef up security at its New York headquarters after receiving death threats and suspicious packages from people enraged about the network’s decision to suspend “Duck Dynasty” patriarch Phil Robertson, reports Deadline.com (http://www.deadline.com/2013/12/ae-grapples-with-death-threats-and-clan-ultimatum-on-duck-dynasty-star-suspension/).
On Wednesday, the family threatened to abandon the series, saying in a statement they “cannot imagine” doing the show without Phil. That said, the network, which has had a good working relationship with the family (as the family noted in its statement), is “always talking to them,” as one source with knowledge of the family said.

The decision to suspend Phil Robertson triggered a firestorm and has created some strange bedfellows; last night Jon Stewart defended Phil’s “right to say ignorant sh*t” — joining Phil defenders Sarah Palin, who’d tweeted “Those ‘intolerants’ hatin’ and taking on the Duck Dynasty patriarch for voicing his personal opinion are taking on all of us,” and Republican Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal, who defended Phil’s anti-gay and racist statements by saying, “It is a messed up situation when Miley Cyrus gets a laugh, and Phil Robertson gets suspended.”
Nine of the 10 episodes ordered for the next run of the hit series have been shot, and Phil appears in the nine episodes, which are not scheduled to debut until January 15.
Robertson was suspended from the show for an indefinite period of time after a GQ story came out in which he made incendiary comments about homosexuality, and the condition of blacks in pre-civil-rights-era U.S.
In Drew Magary’s GQ article profiling the family behind the reality hit, Robertson — who described his family as “Bible-thumpers who just happened to end up on television” — called homosexuality a sin and said, “It seems like, to me, a vagina — as a man — would be more desirable than a man’s anus. That’s just me. I’m just thinking: There’s more there! She’s got more to offer. I mean, come on, dudes! You know what I’m saying? But hey, sin: It’s not logical, my man. It’s just not logical.”
Asked what is sinful, Phil replied: “Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men.”
He also expressed his belief that the Japanese attacked the U.S. in WWII because they did not have Jesus, among other points, and noted that his personal observations of black Americans in the pre-civil rights South was that they “were happy; no one was singing the blues.”
Not long after the article was released, A&E issued a statement saying, “We are extremely disappointed to have read Phil Robertson’s comments in GQ, which are based on his own personal beliefs and are not reflected in the series Duck Dynasty…His personal views in no way reflect those of A+E Networks, who have always been strong supporters and champions of the LGBT community. The network has placed Phil under hiatus from filming indefinitely.”

http://www.eurweb.com/2013/12/duck-dynasty-drama-ae-now-dealing-with-death-threats-family-ultimatum/

Anybody watch this show? Looks like a right wingers wet dream.

Ben in LA
12-21-2013, 12:29 AM
Even though I didn't like his statement, he has a right to say what he wants...and as a private company A&E has a right to discipline his as they see fit. It's EXACTLY like the Martin Bashir controversy...

trish
12-21-2013, 12:57 AM
Yeah, all my conservative, Christian friends are jibbering at me about "PC police." Give me a break!

So Phil says something stupid about gays and blacks in Esquire. Then A&E execs say to themselves something like, "This is a God-send. First we suspend Phil from the show. We let the media hype simmer and stew for awhile. People who never before gave a rat's ass about DD will watch an episode or two. Maybe we'll hook a few. Our sponsors will scarf it up. We'll look good for taking the appropriate action, and then we'll have Phil give a half-hearted apology and put him back in the show before next season starts. He never misses a beat. This is a win-win. It's just what we need to put some life back into an aging reality series."

Dino Velvet
12-21-2013, 01:24 AM
A&E had every right to suspend Robertson. Losing that show will cost the network a few bucks. What will they do and what will their priorities be? Someone gets a pat on the head eventually.

NightmareX0666
12-21-2013, 01:38 AM
I may not agree with him, but he does have the right to say whatever the hell he wants. I also think he had to change a lot in his life and what he would usually say due to the tv show, so maybe this is his way of ending the show. And to be honest, this guy has money and will continue to make the money, hell probably more now then before from people who will support his views.

Dino Velvet
12-21-2013, 01:48 AM
He has a right to free speech and for the government to not intervene but this is not a 1st Amendment issue any more than when the Dixie Chicks were complaining about free speech when Bush was in office because certain stations wouldn't air their music.

We need to be consistent.
http://entertainment.time.com/2013/12/19/losing-your-tv-job-is-not-a-first-amendment-issue/

trish
12-21-2013, 02:00 AM
I don't think there's a single person in the U.S. who say he doesn't have the right to say what he wants. But if he says it on someone else's dime he may pay the consequences. In this case, I bet he doesn't. Wait and see, he'll be back in the show and the ratings will be boosted.

Dino Velvet
12-21-2013, 02:11 AM
I don't think there's a single person in the U.S. who say he doesn't have the right to say what he wants. But if he says it on someone else's dime he may pay the consequences. In this case, I bet he doesn't. Wait and see, he'll be back in the show and the ratings will be boosted.

That's right. I been fired for all kinda bullshit but it was still legal. I sneer at the business(es) every time I pass by but know better that I don't have beef with them at the labor board. "Asshole" should be commonly written on my pink slip(s) because I sure darn can be one at times.

broncofan
12-21-2013, 02:12 AM
The first amendment was never meant to guarantee a right to say whatever you want without any repercussions. Only the government is prohibited from punishing someone based on the content of their speech.

As Dino and many others have said that does not mean a private company cannot fire someone for saying something they don't like. In fact the prerogative of an employer to fire someone is pretty close to unfettered. There are a variety of statutes protecting vulnerable parties and mandating certain work safety standards but I highly doubt the government is going to pass a hate speech protection act any time soon.

So, if you don't think the guy should be fired, there must be some other grounds than free speech. Simply referring to some vague and standard-less ideal of free speech is not doing it.

Silcc69
12-21-2013, 02:25 AM
My thing is doesn't that show appeal to that demographic anyways. They wouldn't be offended. This show doesn't seem to appeal to blacks, gays, nor japanese. Mainly religious folks and conservatives. BTW since the 1st Amendment only applies to the government then how does FCC manage to censor broadcast TV and or slap heavy fines on stations?

trish
12-21-2013, 02:30 AM
My thing is doesn't that show appeal to that demographic anyways. They wouldn't be offended. This show doesn't seem to appeal to blacks, gays, nor japanese. Mainly religious folks and conservatives.Sure. But by acting responsibly now and then later re-instating Phil, the network gets both to create attention in the media, do the right thing by gays and blacks and boost ratings for a aging show. If they were smart enough, they might have planned it. But hey, they're Duck Dynasty...it had to be a lucky accident...right?

Dino Velvet
12-21-2013, 02:33 AM
My thing is doesn't that show appeal to that demographic anyways. They wouldn't be offended. This show doesn't seem to appeal to blacks, gays, nor japanese. Mainly religious folks and conservatives.

It'll be one of those Kabuki dances with A&E hoping not to lose money but give a high hat that doesn't get too much blowback. Maybe timing with have something to do with it. I believe that fences will be mended because that's what A&E will decide what is good for business. Robertson will have to realize he is a television gimmick and needs to learn how not to alienate by judging behavior. He either preaches to the choir or is seen as a slack-jawed yokel depending who you ask.

goatman
12-21-2013, 03:13 AM
Yeah, all my conservative, Christian friends are jibbering at me about "PC police." Give me a break!

So Phil says something stupid about gays and blacks in Esquire. Then A&E execs say to themselves something like, "This is a God-send. First we suspend Phil from the show. We let the media hype simmer and stew for awhile. People who never before gave a rat's ass about DD will watch an episode or two. Maybe we'll hook a few. Our sponsors will scarf it up. We'll look good for taking the appropriate action, and then we'll have Phil give a half-hearted apology and put him back in the show before next season starts. He never misses a beat. This is a win-win. It's just what we need to put some life back into an aging reality series." A "mummer's farce" as the good folk from "Game of Thrones" would phrase it....Apparently, neither side got a good look at the other when they signed the paperwork. I mean, hello A&E, you hired a family of duck hunter/enthusiasts from "Backwoods Louisiana" in order to keep up with the other basic-cable networks in the "redneck reality-show ratings wars(proof alone that Hollywood has run out of new ideas). And you trot the "patriarch"(no warning there, the word "patriarch") to do a GQ interview? Did you think he'd be "quaint" , chock full of "homespunisms"? What'd you think he'd say?
As to the Robertsons, It's A&E... As in "Arts & Entertainment" Television. ARTS AND ENTERTAINMENT. Who do they think comprise the Arts & Entertainment career fields? People who may not find Phil's statements/observations quaint & homespun(like say Black people, TBGL people, "liberals", any combination of the above & anyone who realizes that the American Civil War ended about 148 years ago and--even though it was "a Late, Great, & Unpleasant Lost Cause", the South started it.
oopsie:whistle::confused::whistle:

Dino Velvet
12-21-2013, 03:45 AM
Wonder if this dies down over the long holiday. The network will not walk away from that much money. Do they do good merchandise sales too? Lunch Boxes, Video Games, Gator Jerky, Pregnancy Test which also determines if closely related, etc...

goatman
12-21-2013, 03:54 AM
Wonder if this dies down over the long holiday. The network will not walk away from that much money. Do they do good merchandise sales too? Lunch Boxes, Video Games, Gator Jerky, Pregnancy Test which also determines if closely related, etc...All available at your friendly neighborhood WalMart Supercenter...

Dino Velvet
12-21-2013, 04:04 AM
All available at your friendly neighborhood WalMart Supercenter...

Few Piggly Wiggly and General Stores too. Mr Haney has all the orders he can handle.

Mr. Haney explains MediCare - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY3ncbgbUYk)

cockgobbler
12-21-2013, 04:12 AM
Wonder if this dies down over the long holiday. The network will not walk away from that much money. Do they do good merchandise sales too? Lunch Boxes, Video Games, Gator Jerky, Pregnancy Test which also determines if closely related, etc...

I believe Duck Dynasty merchandise, not the Duck Commander duck calls and gear, just the Duck Dynasty show branded merchandise will hit $400 Million by the end of 2013. That's $400 Million total since the show began a couple years ago.

BBaggins06
12-21-2013, 05:24 AM
Another point that is completely ignored by right wing nuts, is that if Phil had an "evil" union representing him, he probably never would have been suspended. Sucks working in an at-will state, doesn't it?

Ben in LA
12-21-2013, 05:28 AM
I'll just stick with watching House Hunters, thank you.

Ben
12-21-2013, 05:55 AM
New Video Of Duck Dynasty Phil Robertson Passionately Anti-Gay - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QjaYScgeDs)

Rivz
12-21-2013, 08:28 AM
The one gay guy who watches this show is PISSED!

bobvela
12-21-2013, 09:10 AM
Another point that is completely ignored by right wing nuts, is that if Phil had an "evil" union representing him, he probably never would have been suspended. Sucks working in an at-will state, doesn't it?

No... if he had an "evil" union (or just a regular one) representing him... he'd still be suspended, then the union would enter arbitration with A&E, and after a multi-month back and forth he'd either leave the show or receive back pay.

Union or not, most visible jobs like that have a 'morality' clause in the employment agreement that are worded in such a way to give the employer a great deal of leeway.

It's the same reason most Catholic organizations are able to fire/force out unmarried pregnant women, divorcees, or gay persons who got married: http://blog.seattlepi.com/capitolhill/2013/12/20/students-protest-seattle-catholic-archdiocese-on-firing-of-teacher-zmuda/

No, what is missed in all of this by the left wing moonbats is that you are creating a circular firing squad with no end.

Did Phil say something stupid & intolerant? Yup.

Are those who are attacking him for what he said expressing a similar degree of intolerance? Yup.

Are those who like Duck Dynasty/Phil and are attacking the PC police expressing a certain degree of intolerance of the views & actions of those with rather thin skins? Yup.

Pot. Meet kettle.

When I was a kid... my parents taught me about ignoring things that people said and not letting them get to me. Shame so many people are unwilling or unable to do the same.

Did Phil say in effect "Engaging in homosexual acts is a sin... and I believe all such sinners will be condemned to hell" ? Yup.

Did Phil say in effect "Engaging in homosexual acts is a sin... and all such sinners should be hung like the Iranians do" ? Nope.

See the difference? One is a personal opinion... the other is advocating for a wee bit more... including violence.

I hear & see plenty of people spout opinions different than my own... even some I would find personally offensive... if I let them get to me. And yet I'm able to let so much of it go by... alas far too many people are rather thin skinned and seek to be outraged & offended.

danthepoetman
12-21-2013, 09:12 AM
I didn't know whom that bearded bozo was, I still don't, and I don't want to know. His opinion -opinonion- on homosexuality is anyways as pertinent as Britney Spears' on the war in Iraq or Jessica Simpson's on the appropriateness of eating "buffalo" wings...

Ben in LA
12-21-2013, 02:36 PM
Borrowed this from Kelly Clare. Sarah "Caribou Barbie" Palin chimes in. THIS is what most people are up in arms about...the double standard.

Ben in LA
12-21-2013, 03:25 PM
This as well.

Prospero
12-21-2013, 04:23 PM
The response to this inane idiot's remarks is what is frightening revealing, once again, the depth of hatred and hostility to the LGBT community across America. Hate speech like this is not an example of free speech. This forum is not responding to the other dimension of his hideous ignorance ... His remarks about the reality of life for African Americans. That such profound bigotry by an ignorant man should summon such a wellspring of support by major public figures .. Plain and Bobby Jindjal (spelling?) signals how far a vast tranche of the public is from enlightened and civilised thought. And this is not an anti American polemic. The reality of life for those who are different is increasingly terrifying across the world eg. Russia's increasing state endorsed homophobia and that in recent decisions by the Indian government.

broncofan
12-21-2013, 05:33 PM
What is Bobvela talking about up there? People who think someone should be fired for making homophobic comments are thin-skinned? People should ignore homophobic comments simply because the person who makes them is not advocating the summary execution or all gay men and women?

Liberals in this country have fought for employee rights including civil rights laws while recognizing that there must be some prerogative left to employers to choose what personal qualities they want their workers to have. Someone who is unable to distinguish between a boss who does not hire African-Americans and a boss who does not hire people who dislike African-Americans is not someone worth listening to. It is someone, like Bobvela, who is a pathetic shill without any sense of right and wrong.

broncofan
12-21-2013, 05:54 PM
No, what is missed in all of this by the left wing moonbats is that you are creating a circular firing squad with no end.

When reporters are fired for saying things that networks are uncomfortable with, that is not a firing squad. The network is exercising a right they have always had and that no reasonable person would try to take away from them. When a book publisher decides not to publish the book of a Holocaust denier or someone who is advocating racism against African-Americans they are also not creating a firing squad.

What they are doing is demonstrating the exact type of conscience you seem to be lacking. In fact, if people are allowed to advocate such views without any push-back at all, we are more likely to have the type of firing squad (or lynching) you so frequently conjure in your self-pitying posts about how tough it is to be a modern day fascist.

You are essentially arguing that if someone can be fired for making homophobic comments there is no end in sight to what people can be fired for. Fortunately people are capable of distinguishing between discrimination based on background and sexual orientation and discrimination based on viewpoint. There's a reason we have civil rights laws, but not the type of broad protection you are contemplating.

Ben in LA
12-21-2013, 06:10 PM
Piyush Jindal had better be happy few of these idiots spat bullshit about folks of Asian Indian descent.

And this as well.

BlüeKarma
12-21-2013, 06:20 PM
He has said it isn't up to him to judge anyone. If he thinks a lifestyle is wrong, it's his opinion. I don't agree w/ anything he says, but getting upset over something some backwoods redneck says is silly.

Silcc69
12-21-2013, 07:16 PM
I will never ever figure out how die hard right wingers such as Bobvela come on this site. Knowing his ass is probably at church on sunday but buying tranny cock on saturday.

pointythingshurt
12-21-2013, 07:31 PM
My beef with A&E is not that they did something illegal by suspending him, they clearly have the right to, but it smacks of hypocrisy. I'm fairly certain they knew EXACTLY what Phil's beliefs were on these topics when they hired him to be HIMSELF on a reality show. And now they punish him for speaking his mind to a magazine on his own time?

goatman
12-21-2013, 09:16 PM
Piyush Jindal had better be happy few of these idiots spat bullshit about folks of Asian Indian descent.

And this as well. [Unless they are of Sikh descent..., the good 'ol boys call 'em "Muslims" by default...]
"Bobby" knows how to play the game[for long-term gain] as I'm sure others in his community do down there(Nikki Haley of South Carolina)
You only have to remember George Allen's "macaca" put-down of an Indian-American Democratic staffer in N. Va to see what happens when others don't play along with their whole "model minority" game--i.e. "smile, shut up, go along with the program, don't rock the boat." Not much difference between that mindset & Phil remembering that the Black people working the fields when he younger were "...happy & weren't singing the blues..."
Let some of those second and third generation Desis start voting overwhelmingly Democrat & competing for those coveted LSU slots & you'll start hearing a different tune from the Fox crowd...

Ben in LA
12-22-2013, 01:09 AM
My beef with A&E is not that they did something illegal by suspending him, they clearly have the right to, but it smacks of hypocrisy. I'm fairly certain they knew EXACTLY what Phil's beliefs were on these topics when they hired him to be HIMSELF on a reality show. And now they punish him for speaking his mind to a magazine on his own time?
They probably did. They also most likely stated in the contract to not reveal such an opinion because of the potential backlash.

Ben in LA
12-22-2013, 01:15 AM
He has said it isn't up to him to judge anyone. If he thinks a lifestyle is wrong, it's his opinion. I don't agree w/ anything he says, but getting upset over something some backwoods redneck says is silly.

No...I don't like what he said. In fact, I just said whatever; that's his opinion. I'm upset because folks are bashing A&E for doing what they - as a private company - saw fit to do.

When Martin Bashir said what he said, I figured he'd get fired...and he did. My reaction at the time? He shouldn't have said that because it most likely violated a rule he had to abide by in his contract, so his termination (or his "resignation") was justified. Same thing with Alec Baldwin. Hell, it happened with Bill Maher as well!

Genetic
12-22-2013, 04:09 AM
This forum is not responding to the other dimension of his hideous ignorance ... His remarks about the reality of life for African Americans. That such profound bigotry by an ignorant man should summon such a wellspring of support by major public figures ..

As far as I'm aware, he didn't say that was the experience of every black man in America, he was talking about his experiences around black people, that they worked hard and were happy doing so. He does talk about welfare and entitlement, but I'm inclined to believe that's a universal point because the entitlement surrounding welfare is apparent in every walk of life, as is the resentment of those on it.

His comments about the LGBT community were very black and white whereas his personal experiences in his life aren't something that can be judged so easily, so presumably that's why that issue hasn't been covered so much.

You've been negged to fuck over your comment but you've raised a decent point. He apparently was only going to do the show if he could use it as a preaching platform which A&E wouldn't allow, so there was a lot of back and forth over what was acceptable and what wasn't. A&E have always known his views and it was inevitable that those views would become public so they share a responsibility in this.

EvaCassini
12-22-2013, 04:37 AM
This is pretty good. Watched it earlier today.

Enjoy

Duck Dynasty Is Fake! - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW343K1-upo)

danthepoetman
12-22-2013, 04:43 AM
People have feelings, it's a little bit of a truism, isn't it? A broadcaster is airing an opinionated show of any kind, you will get people offended. All of this is business! Private interrests. It doesn't have anything to do whatsoever with the concept of "Freedom of Speech". If such a freedom had something to do with private interrests, Civil courts would loose a huge chunk of their jurisdiction, wouldn't it?
Besides, arguing that people "shouldn't" get upset is like hoping the stars to be luminaries, or the moon to enlighten cities.

danthepoetman
12-22-2013, 04:51 AM
Anyways, the guys is... well...

danthepoetman
12-22-2013, 04:54 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-RzRwupeKzlc/TwM3KVcNq4I/AAAAAAAAMQM/eeF9P-HNQZY/s1600/IMG_1978.JPG

Merkurie
12-22-2013, 04:54 AM
Redneck says something ignorant.
News at 11.

danthepoetman
12-22-2013, 05:46 AM
A liberal says something intelligent, outraged Fox News all day for days!

goatman
12-22-2013, 05:50 AM

Enjoy

Duck Dynasty Is Fake! - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW343K1-upo)Yep, 'ol boy went to Louisiana Tech on a football scholarship...., played with a guy from Shreveport name of TERRY BRADSHAW...
(walked away from a chance to play for my favorite NFL team beacause it "interfered with duck season--but that's another story)...

mrniceguy37
12-22-2013, 06:04 AM
lets look at the facts...based on bible Christian principles. Homosexual activity is a sin . God hates homosexuals. read it for yourself. Gays can kick and scream all they want , but god makes it clear ....no heaven for faggots. you can be queer or Christian..but not both. decide now

Merkurie
12-22-2013, 06:16 AM
lets look at the facts...based on bible Christian principles. Homosexual activity is a sin . God hates homosexuals. read it for yourself. Gays can kick and scream all they want , but god makes it clear ....no heaven for faggots. you can be queer or Christian..but not both. decide now

What if you only stick the tip in?

goatman
12-22-2013, 07:15 AM
lets look at the facts...based on bible Christian principles. Homosexual activity is a sin . God hates homosexuals. read it for yourself. Gays can kick and scream all they want , but god makes it clear ....no heaven for faggots. you can be queer or Christian..but not both. decide nowWHICH Bible? The New American Standard? The King James Version('cuz that's only been monkeyed with since the late 1500's), The Catholic Bible I had in Religion class when I went to Catholic school back in the '80's(you get where I'm going with this right?)
Take a look at this from a detached logical point of view:
You're talking about a collection of origin stories, laws, & moral codes/standards primarily enacted by a group of semi-nomadic Bronze Age herder-trader-agriculturalists who resided roughly in the area between the Fertile Crescent & the Mediterranean who were more likely to have been the first to patent monotheism as opposed to actually inventing it. They took those aspects of Egyptian monotheism(the sun-cult of Aton/Ahmon) & Zoroastrianism that work best for their situation(family structure/inheritance laws, etc.) & chucked what didn't(ruler worship, incest/dynastic sibling mating,same sex relations, human sacrifice & sacred prostitution--particularly of males). Coupled with this was the fact that they were frequently at odds with the emerging "great civilization/empires" of the era militarily, and nothing helped unify their disparate peoples(& keep them loyal) than utilizing a little old fashioned propaganda for it's own sake. Thus, for the good of the state, the outsiders & all their cultural ways & practices were deemed "evil" & punishable by death. [OT]

Once Christianity became the state religion of the Roman empire, the process repeated itself--only anything "too Greek", "too Roman" or "too Jewish" was castigated depending on the author. Once an all-powerful Clergy was established as the de-facto rule of Europe(after the Empire's fall), a system of laws, by-laws, cultural practices & punishments was set in place against any "pagan influences." The goal was to maintain the feudal status quo with the Church as major power player behind the scenes(see Showtime's "the Borgias".) The Crusades, the Renaissance, the Protestant Reformation & the "Discovery" of the so-called "New World" just kicked everything into high gear; everything from the Inquisition, the Conquest of the Aztecs & the Incas, the founding of Jamestown & Plymouth, the various European wars...and of course, the Slave Trade was deemed justifiable under auspices of fighting a holy war against evil. And they frequently had the Text to back it up.

trish
12-22-2013, 08:59 AM
Leviticus says not to lay with a man as with a woman. Taken literally it only means that if you use missionary with the gals than use doggy with the guys. Nothing there at all about homosexuality.

danthepoetman
12-22-2013, 09:25 AM
I even find you generous, Goatman, in your reading of history. It can be well argued that Yahweh was a tribal god up to at least the VIth to Vth century, maybe even to the late hellenistic period. Moreover, archeologists still find small idols of many different deities up to the end of the IIIrd century BCE. You are absolutely right in saying that the Bible as a corpus of faith is a late construct, and doesn't have anything to do with what we are today.

And oh! :) this:

Genetic
12-23-2013, 04:16 AM

Wrong wrong wrong. OTHER than in Leviticus, back this statement up with a direct quote. The Bible has 3 references to homosexuality, 1 is in Leviticus (more on that later) and the other 2 references aren't negative.

Leviticus says not to lay with a man as with a woman. Taken literally it only means that if you use missionary with the gals than use doggy with the guys. Nothing there at all about homosexuality.

Yes it does. However, the New Testament replaced the Old Testament with the Old Testament still published only as reference. The teachings of Jesus replaced those of Moses from which Leviticus was drawn (loving God instead of vengeful etc), with Jesus essentially scrapping the teachings of Christianity and starting it over. Hell it's outright stated in The Great Commandment where Jesus says there are only two commandments - love God and love thy neighbour. Great Commandment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Commandment) At no point in any edition is there an asterisk, footnote or extra part of that statement that makes it say "Love God and love thy neighbour unless they are gay, of a different race or faith".

Leviticus is still a part of the Jewish faith, but shouldn't be part of Christianity as it was erased. As a Christian you can either follow the OT or the NT, but if you follow both then you don't understand your own religion and are a cretin.

Jews follow the Old Testament which is why they don't believe in Christ.

And oh! :) this:

Ignoring Leviticus again, we're left with lying, arrogance, adultery, working on a Sunday and cross dressing ;) In all honesty, the first 3 are negatives. Working on a Sunday...I've personally always seen that as being the first ever draft of employee law, where the idea is that everyone should have one day off a week. Cross dressing, well back in those days clothing was a little more limited and we can't really compare then to now but either way... a little bit of taboo pleasure can't hurt ;)

broncofan
12-23-2013, 05:05 AM
Religion plays such a significant role in so many people's lives so we are forced to interpret and re-interpret these ancient documents to sanitize them of antiquated meanings. But if an ancient text encourages you to label behavior that has no moral consequences as immoral, why shouldn't a person just ignore the proscription altogether? Instead we have to hear why Jesus really wouldn't have hated queers so much. And if the New Testament said that he would have hated gay men and women, why should that bind anyone?

Even if your religion encourages dislike of those who have done nothing wrong you have no excuse for following such commandments. It is just as hateful as discriminating under color of law, or following orders from a corrupt general.

Instead of just saying that maybe enlightenment values are better dictates of morality than religious values, there are always defenders of the faith telling us that zealots who engage in certain objectionable acts are not true Christians, Jews, or Muslims.

looking4TS
12-23-2013, 07:15 AM
lets face the true and real facts here. every ancient isolated civilizations in history has created everything from languages to gods. Over 1000 Gods in total have been created in time. under a 100 live today. They all share the same basic beliefs and many repeat the same stories through out history. That's the plain and simple facts that can't be disputed no matter what your beliefs are or which one of the 1000 gods you believe in. Now someone said something about breaking the rules of one of these man made gods. With today's technology in discovering how the brain works and the awareness of histories social behavior in humans. how is it possible that anyone today can take any god serous. Me personally, I just don't want to piss off the Easter bunny

danthepoetman
12-23-2013, 07:29 AM
lets face the true and real facts here. every ancient isolated civilizations in history has created everything from languages to gods. Over 1000 Gods in total have been created in time. under a 100 live today. They all share the same basic beliefs and many repeat the same stories through out history. That's the plain and simple facts that can't be disputed no matter what your beliefs are or which one of the 1000 gods you believe in. Now someone said something about breaking the rules of one of these man made gods. With today's technology in discovering how the brain works and the awareness of histories social behavior in humans. how is it possible that anyone today can take any god serous. Me personally, I just don't want to piss off the Easter bunny
The Teeth Fairy is such a fucking bitch! ;)

bobvela
12-23-2013, 08:48 AM
Borrowed this from Kelly Clare. Sarah "Caribou Barbie" Palin chimes in. THIS is what most people are up in arms about...the double standard.

Double standard? Only if you boil out quite a few facts.

If Phil Robertson had called for someone to deficate in the mouths of this or that homosexual... you might have a point.

More so, the statements from Martin Bashir happened during his paid program (and likely involving a person or two who would have seen his planned script and had no problem with it), while the statements of Phil Robertson happened in a more offline sense and more off the cuff from the sounds of it... with an A&E handler who wasn't in the room at the time of the controversial statements.

Spot the differences (multiple) yet?

Not that I am forgiving one vs the other. It's just important to understand the contexts involved... where MSNBC has a long history of only hiring professional on-air personalities who have serious personality issues... while A&E goes out of their way to hire a family of bible thumping hillbillies for your amusement.

I will never ever figure out how die hard right wingers such as Bobvela come on this site. Knowing his ass is probably at church on sunday but buying tranny cock on saturday.

I am not a god fearing man... so do not attend church.

I am not a desperate nor helpless man... so I do not pay for sex.

My reasons for being here are my own.

Instead, your comments here reveal more about your own ignorance's & prejudices than mine.

bobvela
12-23-2013, 09:10 AM
Yes it does. However, the New Testament replaced the Old Testament with the Old Testament still published only as reference. The teachings of Jesus replaced those of Moses from which Leviticus was drawn (loving God instead of vengeful etc), with Jesus essentially scrapping the teachings of Christianity and starting it over.

Um... not quite... and while I was raised Catholic and have long considered myself an agnostic... I know you are full of BS (or limited understanding, or both).

When the Americans rebelled against the British and won their independence... did they abandon all previous laws & traditions and start anew? No... they copied & pasted and updated as necessarily. Hence why 'British Common Law' is still a part of the US legal system via early reception statutes.

Ditto goes for most of Christianity.

Joseph Smith said that the existing Christians had long lost the Aaronic, Melchizedek & Patriarchal priesthoods so started anew based on what they said had come before.

Martin Luther laid out a series of gripes with the church at the time and forked off into the various forms that we know as Protestantism.

(The above just being a couple well known forks)

But then this shouldn't be much of a surprise as Christianity forked off from Judaism 2000 or so years ago... who in turn forked from Zoroastrianism well before that... of course, all three are wrong say the Muslims, who themselves forked from the Christians back in the 600's.

It is the concept of 'progressive revelation' which you seem to fail to understand... and this being said by a guy who only goes to church when dragged in

Ben in LA
12-23-2013, 10:53 AM
This is how I interpret this "controversy". Robertson, as an employee of A&E (a private company that sets their own rules), said something his employer didn't like. Since A&E didn't want folks to think that that's a reflection of everyone else at the company (which would most likely be a PR nightmare), they "let him go" over it. It doesn't matter if it was public or private, offline of off-the-cuff; it got back to his bosses, they didn't like it, it probably violated something in his contract with them, and they handled the situation the way they saw fit.

Yes, Bashir's comment WAS in the public; hell, it was live. Same thing; MSNBC didn't want that to be a reflection of everyone else at the company, it most likely violated something in his contract, so they fired - oops, he resigned.

As for the bible, stop cherry-picking it. Either follow every rule within it, or don't follow them at all. And I was raised catholic...but I see the bullshit.

Felicia Katt
12-23-2013, 10:54 AM
People like Duck Dynasty's Phil Anderson should read the Bible before thumping it. The provisions of Leviticus that "Christians" rely on are not about homosexual acts but are instead about idolatrous ones. Like the Ten Commandments, the first four of which are about honoring God, rather than some greater moral code, they were trying to enforce adherence to the Hebrew faith, against other Pagan systems in existence then, which used all kinds of sexual activities as parts of their fertility and other rituals.
http://www.wouldjesusdiscriminate.org/biblical_evidence/leviticus.html
https://bible.org/seriespage/holiness-false-and-true-leviticus-21-and-22
http://www.religioustolerance.org/hom_bibh5.htm
http://jewishchristiangay.wordpress.com/2011/10/18/leviticus-18-what-was-the-abomination/

If they are going to misread Leviticus to condemn homosexuals, they shouldn't do so in ignorance of all the other sins it supposedly lists as equally bad. There are 76 other things banned in Levitcus, including tattoos and working on Sunday, spreading slander, mistreating foreigners, cursing your parents, having sex with a woman on her period and all sorts of similar things
http://leviticusbans.tumblr.com/post/23730370413/76-things-banned-in-leviticus

You never hear the Religous Right condemning people to Hell and Damnation for any of these things. Only for the cherry picked purported proscription against homosexual acts. Adultery is right there at number 7 in the Ten Commandments, but no one ever suggests stoning any of the many many prominent people on their third or fourth or more marriages.

You never hear them talk about how the New Testament was supposed to be just that, a new set of rules for a moral existence, that expressly in Galatians repealed all the previous ones.
http://www.inherit-the-kingdom.org/bible/leviticus.html

You also never hear these Christians talk much about what Jesus said against homosexuals. Mainly because he never said any such thing. Anyone who tries to argue that the New Testament has any condemnation of homosexual activity is completely and purposefully misreading what Paul railed against in the one supposedly applicable passage of Corinthians which really refers to any sexual promiscuity.
http://www.inherit-the-kingdom.org/bible/arsenokoites.html

Adulterers, drunkards and the greedy were expressly and unambiguously called out by Paul as being excluded from Heaven. Under that standard, who here or anywhere would ever get in? Not Phil Robertson. He is a multi-millionaire who in the past struggled with alcohol and fidelity.
Phil Robertson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Robertson)

Phil Robertson's comments in GQ were bad enough but nothing compared to what he said about homosexuals in 2010:
They're full of murder, envy, strife, hatred. They are insolent, arrogant God haters. They are heartless. They are faithless. They are senseless. They are ruthless. They invent ways of doing evil.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/chi-duck-dynasty-phil-robertson-20131220,0,1685719.story

All this hostility and hatred is completely contrary to what Christ did actually and uncontroversially say which was that there were no commandments greater than loving God and loving your neighbor as you love yourself and that no one should judge or condemn anyone else and if you do so, you condemn yourself.
http://biblehub.com/mark/12-31.htm
http://biblehub.com/matthew/7-1.htm

If anyone is likely to be judged harshly and condemned, its Phil Anderson and his supporters

FK

Ben in LA
12-23-2013, 11:02 AM
Another thing. Quite a few folks say that A&E knew what they were getting into when they signed on the cast. They probably did...and put it in their contract that they should keep said opinions to themselves., or suffer the consequences. Someone forgot about that.

Look at it this way. A poster is banned from this site for saying something specific. They have that freedom of speech, yes, but rules were broken within this private enterprise...so they have to suck it up when they're disciplined.

Ben in LA
12-23-2013, 01:30 PM
:loser:

Um...before you start taking about "Christian principles", better click this link (thanks Silcc69).

http://bilarichfield.tumblr.com/post/70886619252/bible-verses-that-justify-killing-people-except-thou

And considering how hypocritical and spiteful many (but not all) so-called "Christians" are, I'd rather be queer.

Silcc69
12-23-2013, 09:46 PM
Ok whatever you say bobvela we all love the conservative cocksuckers on HA.

@Genetic (http://www.hungangels.com/vboard/member.php?u=94323) then what about these versus?

Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest part or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place." (Matthew 5:17 NAB)

"All scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, for refutation, for correction, and for training in righteousness..." (2 Timothy 3:16 NAB)

Whoever curses father or mother shall die" (Mark 7:10 NAB)

8) “Did not Moses give you the law, and yet none of you keepeth the law" (John7:19) and “For the law was given by Moses,..." (John 1:17).
9) “...the scripture cannot be broken.” --Jesus Christ, John 10:35

goatman
12-23-2013, 10:06 PM
I even find you generous, Goatman, in your reading of history. It can be well argued that Yahweh was a tribal god up to at least the VIth to Vth century, maybe even to the late hellenistic period. Moreover, archeologists still find small idols of many different deities up to the end of the IIIrd century BCE. You are absolutely right in saying that the Bible as a corpus of faith is a late construct, and doesn't have anything to do with what we are today.

And oh! :) this:Thanks for the kudos, Dan. I did the condensed, abridged, ADHD-friendly version because at the time, it was late(College football going off, [adult swim] coming on), I'd had a couple & I wanted to point out the semi-obvious in a user-friendly format without getting TOO wordy(wasn't wholly sure of my audience). Ultimately, I just did like one of my old professors...I pointed the discussion in the direction I felt it needed to go & sat back(which worked judging from the replies/responses that followed...)

luvs2lick1385
12-23-2013, 10:20 PM
All I can say is what do you expect from backwoods, ignorant, bible thumping, inbred rednecks???????

kmersh
12-23-2013, 10:26 PM
Preface: I have never read the bible.

With that said, I fail to see the issue as the 1st Amendment which is being bandied about actually from what I can tell does not apply.

Unless A&E has suddenly become a US/State/or Local Government Agency, than the 1st Amendment to US Constitution does not apply as it prevents a Government Agency from making laws which restrict one rights to fee speech.

However A&E is a private business and can do whatever they like (within reason) and if they feel that Mr. Robertson violated their policies they have a right to suspend him, fire him or allow him to continue filming. I am sure that it is specified in his contract with them and as best as I can tell from that perspective he does not have much of a leg to stand on.

A good friend of mine works for a company that explicitly states the company has a morality clause and one can be fired for violating that morality clause. My colleague may or may not agree with that morality clause but as long as he signed the contract he has to abide by it or risk being fired, suspended, or what have you.

The point is Mr. Robertson has a right to his views, whether they are right, wrong or otherwise as long as he is representing himself, once he is representing Duck Dynasty or A&E he has to abide by his employers rules and it appears at least in this case he ran afoul of them.

However, the whole point is somewhat moot as there are nine episodes already in the can and I highly doubt that A&E is going to edit him out of each and every scene where he appears nor do I think A&E is going to edit him out of past episodes that will eventually air as re-runs.

k

goatman
12-23-2013, 10:46 PM
These clowns are just trying to stir up the "Culture Wars" more than they've already been stirred...Who somebody else loves & wants to pursue a relationship or relations with isn't hurting these folks...They're just pandering to the home team....And odds are if they haven't read/comprehended the Bill of Rights in the spirit in which it was intended..., then they've haven't done so with the Bible, either.

broncofan
12-23-2013, 11:13 PM
The morality clause may seem like a fair warning but it's actually more than an employer is required to give under federal law. Under state law there are sometimes additional protections but they differ from state to state. Generally, employment contracts state that employment is at-will and that an employee can be fired at the discretion of management. Management does not have to provide a reason, but if they are accused of discrimination it helps if they provide a neutral and non-discriminatory one. State law can always be more pro-employee but never fall beneath the protections offered by federal law.

As has been said a few times on this thread, the first amendment prohibits the government from punishing speech. I don't know a lot about this area of law, but this includes civil actions where the power of the state is being brought to bear in enforcing a tort.

For instance, I believe courts have struck down intentional infliction of emotional distress claims on first amendment grounds if the action causing the distress is speech. And while it is true that the state is limited in its ability to prohibit speech that limitation is not absolute even when applied to the government. The state can prohibit speech in certain areas when the prohibitions are content neutral (essentially the legislation is not discriminating based on what is said) or the regulation merely relates to time, place, and manner of speech.

But the main take away is that the first amendment has absolutely no application when applied to the actions of private parties, including private employers. And generally employees do not need to sign a contract with a morality clause for them to be fired in breach of some standard of behavior.

Edit: actually the famous intentional infliction of emotional distress case struck down on first amendment grounds is Hustler v. Falwell. So occasionally the first amendment can prohibit actions brought by one citizen against another but that is because by suing they are trying to bring to bear the power of the state to enforce the suit.

Barno
12-23-2013, 11:42 PM
I am with those who have written in this thread that the Duck Dynasty crew have a right to voice their opinions and A & E have a right to react to the voicing of those opinions. This is a free society and you have freedom of speech but don't get all hot and bothered when there is a reaction.

I believe it was Dino Velvet who earlier in this thread compared this to the Dixie Chicks incident from a few years ago. You were dead on correct. Amazingly The Dixie Chicks seemed shocked with the fall out.

I guess the only difference was that the Dixie Chicks actually threw their bomb into the heart of their constituent's crowd and they got rocked as a result. the only thing saving Phil Robertson is he said something that most of his constituents believe.

broncofan
12-23-2013, 11:50 PM
I guess the only difference was that the Dixie Chicks actually threw their bomb into the heart of their constituent's crowd and they got rocked as a result. the only thing saving Phil Robertson is he said something that most of his constituents believe.
I agree with you. The ducks' constituents might not mind but they were on a network with a fairly broad base. Unfortunately a company has goodwill that they generate and make use of for all of their products and services. They might want the duck advertising dollars and some of the redneck base it brings, but they don't want to lose the civilized people they already have either.

If only they could figure out a way to pander to the "homosexuality is like bestiality" folks and keep the mainstream audience too:). Sometimes you have to make a choice. I guess A&E didn't want to limit themselves to that particular segment of the market.

Barno
12-24-2013, 12:13 AM
LOL, yeah you're right. It's a tough tightrope to walk when you're trying to cater to both ends of the spectrum in this country. They've handed out their punishment to Phil (and I believe he should have been) but they are also as we write, showing a marathon of Duck Dynasty episodes on their channel. The Simpsons once had a scene that showed a monkey throwing a bomb into a room full of TV executives. After they blew up they recreated themselves just as Arnold Shwarzenegger did in The Terminator.
How appropriate.

If only they could figure out a way to pander to the "homosexuality is like bestiality" folks and keep the mainstream audience too:). Sometimes you have to make a choice. I guess A&E didn't want to limit themselves to that particular segment of the market.[/QUOTE]

Odelay
12-24-2013, 01:59 AM
Phil Robertson looks like one of them unkempt shepherds who watched the baby Jesus being born so this is all part of the War on Christmas, in my opinion. A&E is like one of them innkeepers who told the 15 year old virgin Mary to take a hike and slipped her some Planned Parenthood literature as they slammed the door in her face.

Ben in LA
12-24-2013, 03:27 AM
Why isn't anyone talking about Justine Sacco's "freedom of speech"? Oh yeah, that's right...

Ben in LA
12-24-2013, 03:28 AM
Phil Robertson looks like one of them unkempt shepherds who watched the baby Jesus being born so this is all part of the War on Christmas, in my opinion. A&E is like one of them innkeepers who told the 15 year old virgin Mary to take a hike and slipped her some Planned Parenthood literature as they slammed the door in her face.

He actually looks like one of my co-workers...who happens to be from Alabama...and actually agrees with A&E's decision.

Genetic
12-24-2013, 03:44 AM
Religion plays such a significant role in so many people's lives so we are forced to interpret and re-interpret these ancient documents to sanitize them of antiquated meanings. But if an ancient text encourages you to label behavior that has no moral consequences as immoral, why shouldn't a person just ignore the proscription altogether? Instead we have to hear why Jesus really wouldn't have hated queers so much. And if the New Testament said that he would have hated gay men and women, why should that bind anyone?

Which is exactly what I was raised to believe. It's 2000 years old and wasn't written down til at least 100 years later by people who had their own interests at heart, then governed by men who interpreted it how they see fit.

You only have to hear about why Jesus wouldn't have hated gays when some dickhead brings up the only example in the Bible from Leviticus. You know, kinda the same way we have to here the same tired bullshit about not all Muslims being terrorists whenever one of them murders someone but then it's not pc to bash Islam.

Um... not quite... and while I was raised Catholic and have long considered myself an agnostic... I know you are full of BS (or limited understanding, or both).

Full of shit or I'm stupid? Nice assumptions jackass.

It is the concept of 'progressive revelation' which you seem to fail to understand... and this being said by a guy who only goes to church when dragged in

What you seem to fail to understand is that it was laws put into place by man that were disagreed with by your two examples. Martin Luther branched off because his issue with the church was because he didn't believe that sins could be forgiven by paying for forgiveness. So what does that have to do with NT/OT issue I was discussing? Nothing at all. The whole "God hates gays" comes from Leviticus and from clergy. Nowhere else.

lWith today's technology in discovering how the brain works and the awareness of histories social behavior in humans. how is it possible that anyone today can take any god serous. Me personally, I just don't want to piss off the Easter bunny

I agree that none of it should be taken too seriously. Religion should never be a reason for violence or hatred; that's completely against the idea of most religions. However, for a long time technology assured us the world was flat. We were told in the 60s that DNA was a hoax that would be disproved. Technology and science should also be taken with a pinch of salt because it always adapts.

In terms of taking God seriously, why not? If the idea of a higher being or an afterlife gives comfort to people then there's no harm. It's only when morons use it as an excuse to hate or for greed that it becomes an issue.

I am not a desperate nor helpless man... so I do not pay for sex.

My reasons for being here are my own.

Instead, your comments here reveal more about your own ignorance's & prejudices than mine.

I think you've just managed to prove you're the ignorant and prejudiced one when you come onto a board designed around sex workers and then once again use your high and mighty opinion of yourself to pass judgment on other posters. For your information, paying for sex is not for desperate or helpless people but you believe whatever ignorant crap you want to.

As for the bible, stop cherry-picking it. Either follow every rule within it, or don't follow them at all. And I was raised catholic...but I see the bullshit.

So you and your family practiced ever single rule in it? So you never wore mixed fabric clothes? How did you cope with the rules that contradicted each other? Did you smite many Cananites? lol

Snip.

Thank you for the lengthy post, at least someone has some understanding of the subject and some common sense!

broncofan
12-24-2013, 04:47 AM
You only have to hear about why Jesus wouldn't have hated gays when some dickhead brings up the only example in the Bible from Leviticus. You know, kinda the same way we have to here the same tired bullshit about not all Muslims being terrorists whenever one of them murders someone but then it's not pc to bash Islam.

It's not pc to bash anyone, but I appreciate that you think Christians get an unfair amount of abuse. If a large segment of a religious denomination believes something that is objectionable and they are opposed by other members of that organization who say the problem is one of interpretation it seems counter-intuitive to me. I feel the same way about religious fundamentalists of any background.

For instance, I was raised Jewish and though I think some Orthodox Jews may not be taking their cues strictly from the Torah I really don't care if they are. If they're not behaving in a decent way and their justification is that they've been indoctrinated to dislike gays or people from different backgrounds, that's their problem. But I just don't think the place to start is by pulling out the Talmud and re-interpreting it for them.

But that shouldn't change the fact that no Christian is responsible for the actions of another Christian just as no Jew or Muslim should be responsible for the independent acts of their co-religionists. And though I see the usefulness of religion in some people's lives it is a shame that we have to go through this charade about what the final interpretation of a book of fables should be.

I imagine you would agree that those who engaged in the Crusades or the Inquisition were not reading their books properly either. But they thought they had divine sanction for what they were doing and that's a problem whether it's based on a textual misreading or not.

Ben in LA
12-24-2013, 06:30 AM
So you and your family practiced ever single rule in it? So you never wore mixed fabric clothes? How did you cope with the rules that contradicted each other? Did you smite many Cananites? lol
Hell no I don't follow every single rule in that book. Every day of my life I've broken at least one of the commandments as well as other stated "guidelines". But, unlike many of these so-called Christians, I don't CLAIM to follow every rule, nor do I go the bible route to justify my actions. I've yet to meet ANYONE who does follow every alleged rule; if a person says they do, they're lying...therefore breaking a commandment.

As for coping with them I just thought to myself that when my time comes to deal with those infractions, I'd worry about it then. Not while I'm eating shrimp while watching the football game on a Sunday in my polyester blend jersey haha.

broncofan
12-24-2013, 03:50 PM
The whole "God hates gays" comes from Leviticus and from clergy. Nowhere else.

Clergymen are ordained for religious purposes. So the God hates gays comes from actual religious ministers in the church, it comes from religious followers, and it comes from the Old Testament.

It may seem easy to blame everything on that superstitious precursor religion and be thankful for the enlightenment brought about by the New Testament but unfortunately that has not settled matters. If it was the Jewish books that endorsed homophobia, it is a message that Christian followers have seemed to take to heart. So, if they don't have any truly "Christian" textual support for their views, many Christians certainly believe they do and have religious leaders who tell them they do.

I don't doubt there are Orthodox Jews who follow Leviticus as it is an important book in the Tanakh and therefore take to heart its homophobic message. But I don't see that many religious Jews on television saying Aids is the cure for homosexuality or showing up at funerals with placards. That doesn't mean they do not, but homophobia cannot just be passed off as something ancient and retrograde that has been completely transcended by followers of the Christian faith. It seems to be a feature shared by all three monotheistic religions and cannot simply be palmed off on one or the other.

You are essentially admonishing everyone to ignore what many Christian religious leaders say and do, what many followers of the religion say, and yield to your truthful interpretation. For anyone who has seen this act play out dozens of times before by people of every denomination it seems awfully disingenuous.

broncofan
12-24-2013, 03:58 PM
Thank you for the lengthy post, at least someone has some understanding of the subject and some common sense!
Thank goodness for people who resort to the desperate tactic of labeling themselves and everyone who agrees with them as the only people with common sense. That's probably never been done before.

Felicia Katt
12-25-2013, 01:51 AM
https://www.quizbean.com/#/levitiquiz-2

anyone who speaks out against homosexuality on a Biblical Basis should be required to pass this test with a perfect score. After all, Jesus said you should be without sin before throwing any stones :)

FK

BBaggins06
12-26-2013, 02:39 PM
Me personally, I just don't want to piss off the Easter bunny

The Easter Bunny is a monster ....

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kcrg0B_yJAo

LilyRox
12-26-2013, 02:53 PM
God I hate this show. I don't know why so many Americans are so interested in white trash redneck reality shows. I can't even enter a store without having Duck Dynasty shit being shoved down my throat.

youngblood61
12-26-2013, 02:56 PM
God I hate this show. I don't know why so many Americans are so interested in white trash redneck reality shows. I can't even enter a store without having Duck Dynasty shit being shoved down my throat.I agree Lily. Watched a couple minutes and changed the channel.

BBaggins06
12-26-2013, 03:06 PM
God I hate this show. I don't know why so many Americans are so interested in white trash redneck reality shows. I can't even enter a store without having Duck Dynasty shit being shoved down my throat.

You gotta get out of Indiana then Lily. :) There's not too much DD merch on the Magnificent Mile ....

LilyRox
12-26-2013, 03:13 PM
You gotta get out of Indiana then Lily. :) There's not too much DD merch on the Magnificent Mile ....

What do you mean? It's like the one of the most popular shows on. Pretty impressive for a network like A&E, but then again A&E is just selling out to shitty reality shows like every other network. The History channel is also shit now. It's all about redneck reality shows and aliens, like wtf.

Queens Guy
12-26-2013, 09:00 PM

Enjoy

Duck Dynasty Is Fake! - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW343K1-upo)

Thanks for posting that. I never watched the show.

Not much 'reality' in 'reality television'.

A&E 'suspended' Phil, but they still went ahead with 'Duck Dynasty Marathon', though. No such thing as bad publicity when you wanna sell advertising, I guess.

ohioguy13
12-26-2013, 11:37 PM
lets face it being ignorant wont get you tossed off the air!

serial138
12-27-2013, 12:38 AM
It's not pc to bash anyone, but I appreciate that you think Christians get an unfair amount of abuse.

I hope you said this with tongue planted firmly in cheek. Listening to Christians complain about how rough they have it in the US is like listening to straight, white males complain about how tough it is for them too. Every time one of my buddies goes on one of these rants I have to tear them down a bit.

I think it was Louis CK that pointed out being white and male is like winning the genetic lottery? Pretty funny and very accurate bit.

goatman
12-27-2013, 12:47 AM
What do you mean? It's like the one of the most popular shows on. Pretty impressive for a network like A&E, but then again A&E is just selling out to shitty reality shows like every other network. The History channel is also shit now. It's all about redneck reality shows and aliens, like wtf.Thank you, Lily...:iagree:
I could deal with the alien["Ancient Aliens"] as I'm a HUGE fan of the original Battlestar Galactica: "There are those who believe that life here began out there..." but afte "Swamp People", the "redneck reality" thing got old real quick!

Dino Velvet
12-27-2013, 12:58 AM
Little bit of yesterday as I still digest the bullshit from dinner. I don't come around my family often but am always shocked how religious they are. Anyway, politics tend to mix in and I'm not a fan of Obama either. I'm also not a Birther like a few of them. One of the elders gets ahold of me and tells me Obama is a Muslim from Indonesia on a mission to ruin America. I was about to try to reason with him out of it but his eyes looked more inviting toward confrontation. I asked him, "Why are you Christian?" He said nothing then I added, "You are a Christian because you are born in America and both of your parents are Christian. If you were born in Pakistan you might be Muslim and no more or less enlightened about God than anyone else". If you're not in their herd you're a Godless heathen so fuck it.

goatman
12-27-2013, 01:07 AM
Little bit of yesterday as I still digest the bullshit from dinner. I don't come around my family often but am always shocked how religious they are. Anyway, politics tend to mix in and I'm not a fan of Obama either. I'm also not a Birther like a few of them. One of the elders gets ahold of me and tells me Obama is a Muslim from Indonesia on a mission to ruin America. I was about to try to reason with him out of it but his eyes looked more inviting toward confrontation. I asked him, "Why are you Christian?" He said nothing then I added, "You are a Christian because you are born in America and both of your parents are Christian. If you were born in Pakistan you might be Muslim and no more or less enlightened about God than anyone else". If you're not in their herd you're a Godless heathen so fuck it.America was founder by the opportunist & profiteers, plus the fundamentalists, fanatics, the zealots, & the Puritans....

Dino Velvet
12-27-2013, 01:16 AM
America was founder by the opportunist & profiteers, plus the fundamentalists, fanatics, the zealots, & the Puritans....

Nothing wrong with Jesus or being a Christian but those Bible Thumpers give me a headache and get my sulfur up. Felt like turning into Vincent Price unleashing the theater of the macabre on the poor scared, scarred hand-folders. They fear God and Satan makes them hysterical. Where is love in their universe?

maxpower
12-27-2013, 01:21 AM
Little bit of yesterday as I still digest the bullshit from dinner. I don't come around my family often but am always shocked how religious they are. Anyway, politics tend to mix in and I'm not a fan of Obama either. I'm also not a Birther like a few of them. One of the elders gets ahold of me and tells me Obama is a Muslim from Indonesia on a mission to ruin America. I was about to try to reason with him out of it but his eyes looked more inviting toward confrontation. I asked him, "Why are you Christian?" He said nothing then I added, "You are a Christian because you are born in America and both of your parents are Christian. If you were born in Pakistan you might be Muslim and no more or less enlightened about God than anyone else". If you're not in their herd you're a Godless heathen so fuck it.

Frank Zappa- Dumb All Over - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUg3wshcuLI)

goatman
12-27-2013, 01:26 AM
Nothing wrong with Jesus or being a Christian but those Bible Thumpers give me a headache and get my sulfur up. Felt like turning into Vincent Price unleashing the theater of the macabre on the poor scared, scarred hand-folders. They fear God and Satan makes them hysterical. Where is love in their universe?Because they're zealots & fundamentalists....It's an inborn "GUILT-TRIP" going back to all the "King James Version" sponsored Indian-Killing, Piracy, Slave-trading, Smuggling,Profiteering etc...The flagellants have to find something to rail about, otherwise the dirt behind "God's Country", "the City On the Hill" & the Bible Belt seeps to the top...(Look at Prohibition & the Drug War)....

Dino Velvet
12-27-2013, 01:32 AM
Frank Zappa- Dumb All Over - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUg3wshcuLI)

Sounds more like the Russians and other Eastern Europeans in my family on my father's side that I avoid like the plague. Crazy fucks used to do nothing but read Bibles and remove heads.

BBaggins06
12-28-2013, 02:32 AM
What do you mean? It's like the one of the most popular shows on. Pretty impressive for a network like A&E, but then again A&E is just selling out to shitty reality shows like every other network. The History channel is also shit now. It's all about redneck reality shows and aliens, like wtf.

The Mag Mile has a lot of high end stores on it so they don't carry much of the Duck Dynasty stuff. :) I was just trying to think of a cute way to get you to come to Chicago more often Lily. ;) But seriously, I don't really see much DD stuff at all around where I live so if you want to take a vacation from that crap, come on down!!!

Dino Velvet
12-28-2013, 02:42 AM
It's over, folks. Time to get your keys and grab your coats. Somebody is not too glaad to be getting a pat on the head.
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2013/12/27/duck-dynasty-to-resume-filming-with-phil-robertson-ae-announces/

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4ydglO9i01r29wmfo1_500.gif

AC/DC Money Talks (Lyrics In Description) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUuOzSGNEWQ)

goatman
12-28-2013, 03:11 AM
It was a good bit; we got 10 pages out of it....Now it's time to do the "Ol' Yeller" to it [whistling while cocking shotgun]
BTW, Phil(not that you're reading this), about your whole equating various sex with various orifices, as a Tgirl admirer, let me say it's the "whole"person & not merely the "hole" what makes the sex hot....
My $0.02...

broncofan
12-28-2013, 03:45 AM
That reminds me Goatman, besides the obvious homophobia, one of the problems I have with Phil's comments is the flagrant stupidity they demonstrate. Why would someone want to put their penis in a man's anus rather than a woman's vagina? Perhaps because they are attracted to men and want to perform intimate acts with people they are attracted to.

It's not as though sexual attraction itself can be reduced to simple logic. Why is anyone attracted to anyone else? Something aesthetic, a personality trait, a vibe? It's one of those sensual things that words don't even begin to do justice to.

broncofan
12-28-2013, 03:54 AM
Goatman,
this is one of those threads you can't do an Old Yeller to. You can shoot it, and stomp on it, and vow to ignore it, but if history is any guide and you seem to know your history, it will makes its way to the front of the line again. And not just because of me:.

goatman
12-28-2013, 04:02 AM
That reminds me Goatman, besides the obvious homophobia, one of the problems I have with Phil's comments is the flagrant stupidity they demonstrate. Why would someone want to put their penis in a man's anus rather than a woman's vagina? Perhaps because they are attracted to men and want to perform intimate acts with people they are attracted to.

It's not as though sexual attraction itself can be reduced to simple logic. Why is anyone attracted to anyone else? Something aesthetic, a personality trait, a vibe? It's one of those sensual things that words don't even begin to do justice to.It's that the "whole point"(not the "hole point") of sex/intimacy, Bronco? I like women. Some of the women I like have the same dangly bits as me.(Because of "two spirit", being born in the wrong body, gender dystopia, whatever...) I'm not simply attracted to those bits; I like the whole person. I'm attracted. Why hide/make excuses/deny/becom sociopathic etc. instead of just enjoying what happens? Why play into fear? What the hells does anyone else have to do with it(Madison Ave, Hollywood, Capitol Hill, Lynchburg, Va., Rome, etc) And therefore, who am I to judge who turns someone else on?:yingyang:

goatman
12-28-2013, 04:05 AM
:iagree:
Goatman,
this is one of those threads you can't do an Old Yeller to. You can shoot it, and stomp on it, and vow to ignore it, but if history is any guide and you seem to know your history, it will makes its way to the front of the line again. And not just because of me:.:iagree: