PDA

View Full Version : 12 Things you didn't know about 'A Christmas Story'

Tina Francis
12-09-2013, 04:35 AM
This article apparently comes from 2008, but I still think it's fresh. Is this the greatest Christmas movie ever made? To me, no; but it is the funniest...!

http://mentalfloss.com/article/20331/12-things-you-might-not-know-about-christmas-story-even-though-youve-seen-it-90-times

danthepoetman
12-09-2013, 06:58 AM
Never saw it, Tina. I watch almost every christmas time a version of "A Christmas Carrol". I love "Christmas Vacation", with Chevy Chase.
My favourite christmas movie is a French film, "Le Père Noël est une ordure" (Santa Claus is a dirty son of a bitch). It was remade in English as "Mixed Nuts".
I don't enjoy too mushy christmas movies, but it's always nice around this time of the year to get into the spirit...

robertlouis
12-09-2013, 07:41 AM
Never saw it, Tina. I watch almost every christmas time a version of "A Christmas Carrol".

Most Christmas movies are saccharin mush. Which version of A Christmas Carol, Dan? My favourite is the 1951 BW British version with the great Alastair Sim as Scrooge. Tells the story straight from Dickens, no frills, no vomit factor.

maxpower
12-09-2013, 07:54 AM
"You'll shoot your eye out kid."

Best. Christmas movie. Ever.

danthepoetman
12-09-2013, 08:10 AM
Most Christmas movies are saccharin mush. Which version of A Christmas Carol, Dan? My favourite is the 1951 BW British version with the great Alastair Sim as Scrooge. Tells the story straight from Dickens, no frills, no vomit factor.
Exact same for me. I've seen one from the 30's, and of course several more recent, one with Patrick Stewart, another with George C. Scott and I don't know how many -oh! even a Mr Magoo and a Sesame Street version. None is as good as this one, with Alastair Sim. He's not doing too much; he's just true.

Stavros
12-09-2013, 06:47 PM
Great benefit of not watching tv over Christmas in the UK:
No It's a Wonderful Life, no A Christmas Carol (this US version which I have never heard of). Christmas is for eating, drinking, reading and films. Proper films.

danthepoetman
12-09-2013, 10:06 PM
No It's a Wonderful Life, no A Christmas Carol (this US version which I have never heard of). Christmas is for eating, drinking, reading and films. Proper films.
I agree it should be. But christmas is also about family and loved ones. My gf and my daughter both like relatively mushy films, romantic comedies, etc. They keep telling me that my favorite movies are dark, greyish, with people talking nonsense or so in a monochord tone with subtitles racing at the bottom of the screen. To them, most of what I like is suspended action with flows of lecture like dialogs... I just can't impose good stuff on them, Stavros... lol

EZWind
12-10-2013, 03:52 AM
Best xmas movie ever....The Ref, starring Dennis Leary, Judy Davis and Kevin Spacey...all excellent performances. Also terrific in a minor role, Christine Baranski, who steals every scene she's in. Worth checking out as an alternative to all the schmaltz

Idt20082008"
12-10-2013, 08:00 AM
I hate to admit and might get killed for it, but Ive always liked Scooged

robertlouis
12-10-2013, 08:10 AM

I agree entirely Stavros. But please, please don't tell me that you'll be enduring 7-hour Bela Tarr bleakness over the festive season!

I'm looking forward to seeing what BBC4 will have to offer us filmwise, always different and usually rewarding. I've also got Lore, Carancho and a few other non-English language films on DVD to enjoy.

The final two episodes of Borgen this weekend will leave quite a void in my life anyway, but I've got the first two seasons on DVD to savour all over again, which will probably be my indulgence over the Christmas period.

robertlouis
12-10-2013, 08:15 AM
And I will also be catching up on Boardwalk Empire on dvd, right from the start.

Jackal
12-10-2013, 04:25 PM
The director's first film was the forced-feminization story, She-man.