12-06-2013, 12:32 AM
RIP to the gratest man.

We'll miss you forever MADIBA.

tsmirandameadows
12-06-2013, 12:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oIKqeZWjis

Stavros
12-06-2013, 12:36 AM
The inevitability of death should never obscure the achievement of this life, even when so much of it was spent in prison. Mandela was more than a symbol of what can be done when peace is preferred to war, in practical terms he enabled a process of truth and reconciliation which, in place of violent conflict, lanced the boils that had infected South Africa, to draw out the poison of Apartheid and its distorted view of humanity. He did not solve the problems that South Africa had and continues to have, but he gave people a sense of hope and brought to politics an honesty, and a dignity so lacking in so many of his contemporaries.

[/URL]

For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others.

[URL="http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/n/nelsonmand178790.html"] (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/n/nelsonmand178790.html)

broncofan
12-06-2013, 12:40 AM
RIP Mandela. A great man who lived a wonderful and dignified life.

dderek123
12-06-2013, 12:46 AM
RIP

What a great man.

danthepoetman
12-06-2013, 01:04 AM
Very sad news. A man who's courage and resilience was just astonishing.
What I find admirable atop anyting about Mandela, is how he presided over the transformation of a country that was an abominable, absurd and atrocious racial tyranny without allowing a very justified vengeance the crushing majority of the population could have wanted over the minority. If this in itself doesn't speak loud enough and clear enough about the humanity of this man, nothing on earth could have.
RIP, Nelso Mandela.

Prospero
12-06-2013, 01:04 AM
Oh god...

Quiet Reflections
12-06-2013, 01:07 AM
I did a report on Mandela and de Klerk when I was in grade school and can still remember thinking how amazing Mandelas life had been up until that point. He is one of the few political figures I wish I had met

Prospero
12-06-2013, 01:09 AM
a remarkable man... a giant of our time.

RIP.

youngblood61
12-06-2013, 01:14 AM
RIP to one of the great leaders ever. Very sad day.

tsmirandameadows
12-06-2013, 01:25 AM
a remarkable man... a giant of our time.

RIP.

To respond to his experience with a willingness to forgive takes Christ-like strength of character. To then lead effectively a nation, which on the one side wants and the other side expects, retribution is astounding. I will always disagree with his belief that man is inherently good, but I am no less impressed that he could have seen what he saw and still come away with faith in man's fundamental character.

BellaBellucci
12-06-2013, 01:30 AM
The world is a little darker today. :(

~BB~

TSBootyLondon
12-06-2013, 01:40 AM
In 95 years he witnessed and achieved so much. What a remarkable story there is to be told one day.

"If I had my time over I would do the same again. So would any man who dares call himself a man."

Free to Rest in Peace x

GroobySteven
12-06-2013, 02:09 AM
Not to take anything away from the man himself ... but about time, he's had an awful lot of false starts.
I read something last month where when he was told he was to be released from prison the following day, he told the authorities give it another week to let my family make preparations. Somebody this aware of the long term play probably foresaw his death before now and has his legacy in place. Less the comparisons to a fictional character beginning with J who hung on a cross - and just pure respect for the real individual.

jonnie64
12-06-2013, 03:08 AM
One hell of a man. What an inspirational leader. He leaves the world a better place.

Ben
12-06-2013, 03:36 AM
15 of Nelson Mandela's best quotes:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2013/12/05/nelson-mandela-quotes/3775255/

Ben
12-06-2013, 03:48 AM
Author and radio host Thom Hartmann on Mandela:

Nelson Mandela Dies at 95 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo6mU8QE034)

An interesting commentary about death by Noam Chomsky -- who turns 85 in 2 days. He points out that the older you get, well, it becomes less of a problem:

Noam Chomsky on Death "I Used To Have Nightmares! (2013) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B15gsbwLQM)

Angeleno
12-06-2013, 04:14 AM
A great man and leader. RIP

canihavu
12-06-2013, 04:50 AM
Rip....

robertlouis
12-06-2013, 06:08 AM
Farewell Madiba. You will live on in hearts all over the world.

A man whose innate humanity transcended every barrier. I never met him but did get close once when he came to Bedford to unveil a statue to Trevor Huddleston, an honourable man of god who dedicated his life in turn to the peaceful destruction of the obscenity that was apartheid. Mandela shook every single hand within reach that day.

martin48
12-06-2013, 01:59 PM
Three weeks ago I was in South Africa and walked down the road that he walked to freedom. It moved me then.

Couple of my pictures - Mandela's cell on Robben Island and the quarry where they broke rocks all day long.

irvin66
12-06-2013, 06:57 PM
A great leader has passed away, you will be highly missed.
Rest in peace Madiba! :(

Stavros
12-06-2013, 07:35 PM
Three weeks ago I was in South Africa and walked down the road that he walked to freedom. It moved me then.

Couple of my pictures - Mandela's cell on Robben Island and the quarry where they broke rocks all day long.

Great photos Martin, thanks.

Paladin
12-06-2013, 08:26 PM
Not to take anything away from the man himself ... but about time, he's had an awful lot of false starts.
I read something last month where when he was told he was to be released from prison the following day, he told the authorities give it another week to let my family make preparations. Somebody this aware of the long term play probably foresaw his death before now and has his legacy in place. Less the comparisons to a fictional character beginning with J who hung on a cross - and just pure respect for the real individual.

Are you referring to way back in 1990?

SFlare
12-06-2013, 10:57 PM
An extraordinary man, who achieved something so extraordinary for my country, peacefull change, reconcilliation. We're better off because of him.

Jackal
12-06-2013, 11:56 PM
One of the greatest and upstanding leaders and individuals of moral courage has died. The world is a sadder place without him but we should try to follow his example.

ed_jaxon
12-07-2013, 01:06 AM
Have been reading and listening to the tributes and what I am feeling has changed over the past 24 hours.

When I first heard, I did not feel too much. It was a celebrity passing. A major celebrity but a celebrity none the less. Similar to when a past president passes here.

Then I thought about it more and I thought to myself, this was South Africa's George Washington mixed with Abraham Lincoln. He was both the father of their country and the liberator of their oppressed. He was much more than I had initially thought at the first hearing of his passing.

And then it hit me.......

This was the man whose story moved me to sleep out on the quad in a student built shanty town at my Midwest university to protest their holdings in South Africa, the man who inspired me to demand that the university divest now. The man who inspired me to march on the South African embassy in Washington DC and the man who inspired me to learn the words to "Free Nelson Mandela!"

I remember watching live the day he walked out of prison and feeling the deep sense of justice.

I have been thinking a lot about his impact on the world and on how I interact with this world. I had forgotten how much I used to care and how non cynical I used to be.

Thanks for reminding me Mr. Mandela. Rest in Peace.

Females&Shemales
12-07-2013, 10:27 AM
His contributions to fighting for human rights will never be forgotten.

Death is something inevitable. When a man has done what he considers to be his duty to his people and his country, he can rest in peace. I believe I have made that effort and that is, therefore, why I will sleep for the eternity.

Ananke
12-07-2013, 12:48 PM
What I still find hard is to realize that the apartheid regime lasted so long!
So many people in South Africa and abroad knew that it was not right but just got used to it and choose to look away as not to see the atrocities. I, myself never did anything significant at that time and accept the blame and the guilt...

Ben
12-09-2013, 12:45 AM
US government considered Nelson Mandela a terrorist until 2008:

http://investigations.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/12/07/21794290-us-government-considered-nelson-mandela-a-terrorist-until-2008