PDA

View Full Version : A good rejoinder

Prospero
11-22-2013, 12:56 PM
I found this recently. I love the advice offered.

sukumvit boy
11-23-2013, 04:07 AM
WTF kind of advice is that? "stop being a heterosexual to demonstrate to you son that a person's sexuality is a matter of choice".
And what kind of church group is going to make fun of you for having a gay child . They sound like nice Christian folks ,right?
And what kind of parent... ??? Enough!
LOL Do you think that there might be a tiny possibility that the son is displaying an
adjustment disorder ? Naaah.

bluesoul
11-23-2013, 04:16 AM
i like the response by amy until she said "i assume my suggestion will evoke a reaction that your sexuality is at the core of who you are." she should've just said "you should stop being hetrosexual and become homosexual to show your son how easy it is to change etc" and left it at that.

sukumvit boy
11-23-2013, 04:17 AM
I was hoping this was a "snappy rejoinder" type of thread because I've got a few good ones and I'll bet our fellow posters have some good ones.
We need such a thread , as a subset of Jericho's ever popular 'jokes' thread.
Just something to clear the head so I can get back to the cock pictures.

Stavros
11-23-2013, 04:37 AM
Are these letters genuine? I think that there are three options (at least) and that the letters to agony aunts are:
1) Genuine in every word
2) a compilation of letters that share a theme
3) made up by the office staff.

I think 2 and 3 of the above are most likely the real situation. What is odd about the letter quoted is the belief that the son has 'tuned gay' from resentment 'for forgetting his birthday for the past three years -I have a busy schedule'. That comment alone might be an invitation to ridicule, except that it assumes remembering birthdays is an essential part of being a parent, and that 'turning gay' is both an act of resentment and an appropriate act -rather than, say, throwing a brick through her window, or visiting her at her place at work on the birthday and embarrassing her if it means that much to him. After a certain age we did not bother celebrating birthdays in our family, it was not that big a deal. As usual the hostility to homosexuality comes from a 'Christian'. No, it just reads to me like much of the semi-fiction used to fill newspapers and magazines these days. Have a look at the fantastic rubbish The Guardian publishes under the 'Pamela Stephenson' by-line.

sukumvit boy
11-23-2013, 04:43 AM
Here's Stephen Fry interviewing a 'sex change' doctor , patient and family.
Stephen Fry meets an ex-gay therapist - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnBBqYFGKB8)

fred41
11-23-2013, 06:37 AM
I don't believe this letter is real.
It's excellent advice, ..but I believe it was conceived as such.

broncofan
11-23-2013, 06:46 AM
It is good advice. If it's not real, they didn't do a very good job of making it sound authentic. The response was so strong it would have worked for a real letter. The only thing that makes it seem like it could be the genuine article is that if clever writers were creating a letter, you'd think they'd try to make it sound plausible, which this definitely does not.

Still an enjoyable read, even if it is shooting fish in a barrel.

fred41
11-23-2013, 07:02 AM
The only thing that makes it seem like it could be the genuine article is that if clever writers were creating a letter, you'd think they'd try to make it sound plausible, which this definitely does not.
It could in fact be a letter that was sent...Lot's of B.S. letters get sent...but they chose to answer it anyway, because it worked for the column.

Prospero
11-23-2013, 08:28 AM
Most letters to agony aunts are real - but when they have a quiet day or week they invent some

robertlouis
11-23-2013, 08:35 AM
Aside from the whole homosexual/heterosexual aspect, she should have spent some time demolishing the writer's disgusting egocentred view of life. What a selfish bastard.