PDA

View Full Version : An Excellent Video

nysprod
09-27-2013, 02:34 PM
I was very fascinated by this video (https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=533196090112016)....young early in transition kathoeys growing up in extreme poverty, practicing their moves and learning how to be girls...dreaming of the day they will be glamorous, full-fledged ladyboys in the big city.

nysprod
09-27-2013, 05:23 PM
After you see the video, please leave a few comments regarding what you thought of it what...I'd be interested to know.

dderek123
09-27-2013, 06:16 PM
These videos are pretty common on the thai messageboards and chat sites. If you befriend a few Thai people on facebook stuff like this will eventually show up on your news feed.

Try http://www.sanook.com/
there's a lot of funny stuff on there.

nysprod
09-27-2013, 08:08 PM
These videos are pretty common on the thai messageboards and chat sites. If you befriend a few Thai people on facebook stuff like this will eventually show up on your news feed.

Try http://www.sanook.com/
there's a lot of funny stuff on there.

Thanks for the info...I had never seen anything like that beforeand found it very interesting.

RallyCola
09-27-2013, 08:11 PM
I was very fascinated by this video (https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=533196090112016)....young early in transition kathoeys growing up in extreme poverty, practicing their moves and learning how to be girls...dreaming of the day they will be glamorous, full-fledged ladyboys in the big city.

that is not what i see. i see a bunch of kids making a music video.

how do you know they are early transitioning transwomen? they could be a bunch of crossdressing kids.

how do you know they are impoverished? they had a phone to film with.

nysprod
09-27-2013, 10:01 PM
that is not what i see. i see a bunch of kids making a music video.

how do you know they are early transitioning transwomen? they could be a bunch of crossdressing kids.

how do you know they are impoverished? they had a phone to film with.

All these terms are quite nebulous and ill-defined...I'm assuming impoverished because of the surroundings, especially the shanties...and idk who took the video.

GroobySteven
09-27-2013, 10:24 PM
All these terms are quite nebulous and ill-defined...I'm assuming impoverished because of the surroundings, especially the shanties...and idk who took the video.

I think the "impoverished" is a bad assumption to make also.

nysprod
09-27-2013, 10:34 PM
I think the "impoverished" is a bad assumption to make also.

Well, I might have romanticized this a bit based on the surroundings...so let me ask you, in your experience, do many Thai ladyboys grow up relatively poor?

GroobySteven
09-27-2013, 10:56 PM
Well, I might have romanticized this a bit based on the surroundings...so let me ask you, in your experience, do many Thai ladyboys grow up relatively poor?

Explain "relatively poor" - and what does a being a "ladyboy" have to do with it? Certainly, I'd suggest no more than places like NYC or LA.

I know many Thai ladyboys who have went to University and most I know have been brought up with education, well fed, roof over their heads, clothed and cared for. What may seem poor to you, may be the norm to others and not accepted as being poor.

nysprod
09-27-2013, 11:17 PM
Explain "relatively poor"

In general, not having adequate (i.e. limited) access to education, health care, nutrition, etc. but specifically, whatever is considered poor in Thailand.

and what does a being a "ladyboy" have to do with it?

Well, I'm not claiming to be an expert on the subject but I've done a bit of reading...from what I gather, given the acceptance of ladyboys in Thai culture combined with the dependance of the Thai economy on tourism (sex tourism included), becoming a ladyboy is likely to be seen as a viable career choice to a certain extent.

Certainly, I'd suggest no more than places like NYC or LA. I know many Thai ladyboys who have went to University and most I know have been brought up with education, well fed, roof over their heads, clothed and cared for. What may seem poor to you, may be the norm to others and not accepted as being poor.

Ok, that's why I asked, figuring you would know more about it than I do.

In any event, and I may be projecting, but the video looked to me like it was more than just kids messing around...I could be wrong though, maybe you see it for exactly that.

dderek123
09-28-2013, 05:02 AM
Over there you can meet ladyboys from all walks of life. The cost of transitioning is still a big burden for them. And unfortunately, many (but not all) ladyboys are estranged from there families which makes for a very difficult life in Asia unless they find help elsewhere.

If you want to learn a lot about ladyboys and you're over in Bangkok there is a plastic surgery clinic not far from Phantip Plaza. In the waiting room you'll find at least a dozen ladyboys there with lots of time on there hands. Just chat with a few and maybe some will share there story with you. My ex and I were there a few times and both of us were surprised how much we learned. She got a chance to talk with the owner, who is a ladyboy as well, of the clinic and she shared a lot of knowledge with her. I forget the name of the place but the ex explained that it's been running for many years so it's a little bit famous. It's definitely not a glamorous place though.

edit: found it http://www.bangkokpost.com/lifestyle/24479_info_pratunam-polyclinic.html