PDA

View Full Version : Old as hell...remember IRC network?

SXFX
09-16-2013, 04:00 AM
God i was just thinking today....I'm old as fuck at 37!
I remember logging into the IRC network to download TS movies!

god what was that network called with all the old bots?

bluesoul
09-16-2013, 04:51 AM
i'm still on irc. been on irc since 1997.

oh- and i have no idea what network you were on with "all the old bots"

btw: there used to be a tgirl from texas who had her own server. i remember her name was billy. don't know what happened to her though

SXFX
09-16-2013, 04:54 AM
OMG they are still around? Why?
What was were the names of all the channels?

RallyCola
09-16-2013, 05:10 AM
dude, i remember when i was using every cc i had to get 20 free hrs of AOL on my 14.4 dial up.

i remember when i debated whether or not i needed to upgrade my 486 sx 33 so i could try out that new windows...windows 95

i remember when 16 megs of ram cost several billion dollars and you were the envy of all if you had it.

TempestTS
09-16-2013, 06:34 AM
I was working for Upson Computer Lab on the UND Campus when IRC was born - originally it was Relay Chat or just Relay- it was all command line running on a UNIX backend nothing but green text with a box around it - the "I" got added a few years later when the internet as we know it today was born (not just bunch of linked universities and some bits of ARPANET)

There was another Chat Program called CMS (College Message System) which was actually easier to use but not nearly as versatile and had problems connecting to anything outside because it utilized a non rout-able protocol but if you were clever you could pipe command from it over to a TCP connection and get it to kinda work

GroobySteven
09-16-2013, 03:02 PM
IRC was AWESOME.
If it wasn't for IRC there would be no ShemaleYum - many of the original pics that started the site came from users on IRC. I used to promote like crazy on it also. Great cybersex chat room also!

Gillian
09-16-2013, 03:29 PM
Is this thread a coincidence or what? Just last week I was sorting through some stuff on my PC and found a copy of a sexy IRC chat I'd saved from the late nineties. Certainly pre-broadband era here in the UK ...

darkrose2000
09-16-2013, 03:34 PM
A lot of good memories come up when I remember the old IRC.
It was a lot of fun these days.

May be, because Internet was still some unexplored territory and it was some kind of magic :)

I remember using this mIRC program and I met a lot of friends using this.
The persons that own some popular IRC channel were half gods :)))

Regards,
K.,

bluesoul
09-16-2013, 05:37 PM
IRC was AWESOME.

it's still awesome- though much has changed. for example: some networks which were very popular during its salad days are now almost dead- but an infinite number of new networks have sprung up- which means instead of being on 1 or 2 servers, you're now on 20.

GroobySteven
09-16-2013, 07:16 PM
it's still awesome- though much has changed. for example: some networks which were very popular during its salad days are now almost dead- but an infinite number of new networks have sprung up- which means instead of being on 1 or 2 servers, you're now on 20.

What's the best software?

bluesoul
09-16-2013, 07:47 PM
depends on your operating system and needs:

for linux: bitchx- pretty much the mutha of irc. it's free, but not user friendly. it is however the criterion of irc based software.
for mac: textual and colloquy are the best and most popular ones. and they're free
for pc: mirc is still the most popular. i think you need to pay for it after a while (i forget). it's also the easiest and standard (starter) software for your irc needs.
for android phones: androirc: never used it. i'm not that much of a nerd

if anyone wants a yack, give me a shout and choose a network

MacShreach
09-16-2013, 09:47 PM
depends on your operating system and needs:

for linux: bitchx- pretty much the mutha of irc. it's free, but not user friendly. it is however the criterion of irc based software.
for mac: textual and colloquy are the best and most popular ones. and they're free
for pc: mirc is still the most popular. i think you need to pay for it after a while (i forget). it's also the easiest and standard (starter) software for your irc needs.
for android phones: androirc: never used it. i'm not that much of a nerd

if anyone wants a yack, give me a shout and choose a network

Ha you're right about bitchx not being user friendly. I think I'll have to compile it and I'm feeling too feeble just now (all fkkn day sorting out stupid Mickeysoft bollix, need to chill) . Xchat works nicely in Mint BTW but may not have the resources of Bitchx.

SXFX
09-17-2013, 04:43 AM
=)
yeah i'm fucking old!
i remember having to work all day do download a 4 min video =)