PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Rim And The Wolverine

GroobyKrissy
07-27-2013, 07:35 PM
Went to go see Pacific Rim and The Wolverine the other night.

Pacific Rim was so much better than I thought it was going to be. A bit cheesy to be sure but I thoroughly enjoyed the escape from real life for a bit to watch big-ass robots kick some Kaiju ass :)

The Wolverine... really interested to hear what others who saw this thought, especially those with a comic book background. The critics I've read have said it was better than the first... My take? Different movies to be sure. I liked it but... *scratches head* ... just kind of left me disappointed for some reason.

One thing that I absolutely LOVED about The Wolverine is... the high heels one of the characters is wearing in the funeral scene. I want them! I was thinking about them during the whole rest of the movie :). You'll know the ones I'm talking about when you see them... so sexy. Been trying to find them online but can't seem to find them. If anyone figures it out... send me a link :).

Anyway... both enjoyable and both worth checking out if you've got some time :).

trish
07-27-2013, 07:40 PM
Haven't seen Wolverine, but I did catch Pacific Rim. Yeah, it was better than it deserved to be, but I think Del Toro can be so much better than that. He's wasting his talent on comic books, Godzilla and transformers. I'd like to see him do Perdido Street Station by China Mieville.

GroobyKrissy
07-27-2013, 07:45 PM
Haven't seen Wolverine, but I did catch Pacific Rim. Yeah, it was better than it deserved to be, but I think Del Toro can be so much better than that. He's wasting his talent on comic books, Godzilla and transformers. I'd like to see him do Perdido Street Station by China Mieville.

I totally agree. The main reason I went to go see Pacific Rim was that Del Toro was involved in it. I really like his work but Pan's Labyrinth really made me a solid fan for sure. I keep waiting for the next movie of that imaginative quality from him. The Orphanage was pretty good too.

TempestTS
07-27-2013, 07:57 PM
Pacific Rim - Finally the Giant Robot v Giant Monster Movie I always dreamed of seeing as a kid... Loved it - Not to mention the Sons of Anarchy Actor getting the lead ... mmmm makes me want to re-think this whole Trans Lesbian thing --- well at least for a couple bangs

Wolverine - havent seen it yet - Im a comic geek so I will probably bitch about the liberties that the film takes with the character but then later go buy it on DVD anyway

Nuff Said

christianxxx
07-27-2013, 08:04 PM
I loved loved loved Pacific Rim (Godzilla 2013). I have always been a huge fan of the Battletech books growing up (Aidan Pryde anyone?) and so this is the first step! Great flick to see in 3D with the Dolby ATMOS.

I saw Wolverine last night. It was okay, but not great. Way too many dream sequences of Famke Janssen that made little sense. I wanted to fuck the redhead japanese girl the entire movie. so sexy.

JenniferParisHusband
07-27-2013, 10:12 PM
Pacific Rim is one of my favorite movies of the year! I loved it, although there isn't much story there, and the "comic relief" parts seemed to grind it to a halt. (That said, the post-credits moment with the movie's punch line was hysterical.) But I pretty much went for Kaiju and Jaegers hitting each other. So it was all good to me.

The Wolverine, I don't want to spoil for anyone on here, but there was too much going on. It felt like too much story at times. The girl/sidekick is pretty much wasted in this, and it seems like a lot of the best parts of the Wolverine you know from the comics was kind of kicked aside. Plus, it's a sequil of sorts to X-Men 3, which instantly recalled the hate I had for that movie and how so many characters got killed off. So to have that in my head throughout the movie kind of ruined it. But the fights were great, and it's beautiful to look at.

And Christian, I wanted that girl too.

trish
07-27-2013, 10:29 PM
Why weren't the pilots called jaegermeisters? I think Del Toro missed the boat on that one. Product placement too.

sucka4chix
07-28-2013, 02:25 AM
Wow! Hmmmm.... Ok well I'll show once again how I differ from everyone else on this forum. I've seen both and both were about what I expected. Wolverine was a big meh!! It was like a Wednesday show of a daily soap opera--only good for setting up what's coming next. Do agree with Christian--love a chick who can kick some ass and I was channeling my inner Charlie Brown--- I wanted the little red-haired girl!
Pacific Rim was just a waste of money. The plot was juvenile. The drama was poorly manufactured and executed. The fighting was forgettable and almost ridiculous--- why were this robots even created to fight when the monsters were never taken out by fighting, only by weapons! It was stupid. The whole transformers meets Wii meets Voltron thing didn't work for me. I thought it was lousy.

TempestTS
07-28-2013, 02:36 AM
Wow! Hmmmm.... Ok well I'll show once again how I differ from everyone else on this forum. I've seen both and both were about what I expected. Wolverine was a big meh!! It was like a Wednesday show of a daily soap opera--only good for setting up what's coming next. Do agree with Christian--love a chick who can kick some ass and I was channeling my inner Charlie Brown--- I wanted the little red-haired girl!
Pacific Rim was just a waste of money. The plot was juvenile. The drama was poorly manufactured and executed. The fighting was forgettable and almost ridiculous--- why were this robots even created to fight when the monsters were never taken out by fighting, only by weapons! It was stupid. The whole transformers meets Wii meets Voltron thing didn't work for me. I thought it was lousy.

The plot for pacific rim was direct from "TOP GUN" they just tossed in Giant Robots and Monsters instead of fighter Jets.

if you want to go there AVATAR was Dancing with Wolves just with blue aliens and space ships.

dskreet2
07-28-2013, 02:50 AM
Pacific Rim - I too really liked this movie for its similarities to Godzilla, Ultra Man, Transformers, etc! All movies don't need some well involved story to be enjoyed. I actually seen it twice. It would have really nice to see some of the fight scenes in an open area or in a neighbood with low houses, and during the day.

Wolverine - too much story and not enough action early. I wanted to see the self-described bodyguard to be a better sword fighter. Or at least as tough as the young one with the spiked ball in the Kill Bill movie. The train fight scene was best to me.

Btw - Did anyone else's knees hurt seeing the granddaughter and bodyguard walk? The both seemed bow-legged but their knees hit each other with every step. Ouch!

sucka4chix
07-28-2013, 03:04 AM
The plot for pacific rim was direct from "TOP GUN" they just tossed in Giant Robots and Monsters instead of fighter Jets.

if you want to go there AVATAR was Dancing with Wolves just with blue aliens and space ships.
The plot was nothing like Top Gun. The whole idea was they built monsters to fight monsters---and that was NEVER shown to be necessary... ever. The jaegers got their asses kicked every time. It was only firepower that killed the monsters. The giant fighting machines served no purpose except to make a movie about giant robots. The mind meld stuff was ridiculous also. Their minds are connected but they have to tell each other out loud what to do. They have enough technology to build giant robots but not enough to have modern controls where they don't have to basically "row the boat".
It was garbage. The effects were ok though.
Btw I love Godzilla movies-- the ones with the man in the suit and miniature models, not that "we can do it better"cgi crap!
And trust me, I'm one of the few people who will never ever see Avatar!

sweetts18
07-28-2013, 03:25 AM
I'd give Krissy a "pacific rim"

LibertyHarkness
07-28-2013, 11:20 AM
i have all the original godzilla movies :) mecha godzilla vs godzilla woop :)

I havnt seen either film but i guess they will be average CGI trash ...enjoyable for a few hours i will get them both on itunes when they come out in a few months ... now if you want big robots fighting etc .. and christian will probably appricate this if he remembers the movie ... "Robot Jox" they should reboot that with a decent story :) that was movie of epic proportions :) and is definately ripe for a reboot now the effects exist to make it so :)

Robot Jox Trailer - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Kd642Ix5ks)

RadiusDark
07-28-2013, 12:49 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how Pacific Rim was as good as it was. I thought the idea was over the top corny and it would be terrible, but here I am wanting to watch it again.

I know the one guy here is questioning why the robots were needed since a big ass plane could serve the same purpose, and probably better, but I think my enjoyment has to do with wanting to see the big guys throw down.

In the UFC, the little bitty guys put on more exciting fights, but the big lumbering heavyweights create the most excitement because of their ability deliver those huge, knockout blows. In Pacific Rim, there were definitely some thunderous blows delivered.

It was just a good time in the theater. I'm probably going to go out and see it again.

Ron Pearlman was funny in there too. We were like, "it's the Son's of Anarchy."

sucka4chix
07-28-2013, 01:03 PM
I agree with that---Pearlman was entertaining, as usual.

GroobyKrissy
07-28-2013, 03:15 PM
I'd give Krissy a "pacific rim"

I knew it was just a matter of time :) . Congrats on being the first!

JenniferParisHusband
07-28-2013, 08:02 PM

I havnt seen either film but i guess they will be average CGI trash ...enjoyable for a few hours i will get them both on itunes when they come out in a few months ... now if you want big robots fighting etc .. and christian will probably appricate this if he remembers the movie ... "Robot Jox" they should reboot that with a decent story :) that was movie of epic proportions :) and is definately ripe for a reboot now the effects exist to make it so :)

Just when I thought Liberty couldn't get any sexier, she goes and appeals to the major nerd in me. You had me at Robot Jox, Liberty. You had me at Robot Jox.

:Bowdown:

By the way, the best part of that preview is "I'm gonna get in this thing, and I'm gonna kick! your! ass!" LOL. I totaly wish Mystery Science Theater 3000 had gotten ahold of that movie.

be2378
07-28-2013, 08:49 PM
Pacific Rim was a awesome move. It was Robot Jox vs Godzilla but a great movie no matter what.

serial138
07-28-2013, 09:22 PM
I loved loved loved Pacific Rim (Godzilla 2013). I have always been a huge fan of the Battletech books growing up (Aidan Pryde anyone?) and so this is the first step! Great flick to see in 3D with the Dolby ATMOS.

I saw Wolverine last night. It was okay, but not great. Way too many dream sequences of Famke Janssen that made little sense. I wanted to fuck the redhead japanese girl the entire movie. so sexy.

Clan Wolf > Clan Jade Falcon

Although Legend of the Jade Phoenix was a good set of books. I always thought that Battletech would make an awesome movie if done right.

serial138
07-28-2013, 09:26 PM

I remember watching the previews for that as a kid and praying it would be Battletech, and being a little let down.Still was an entertaining movie though. I wonder if Netflix has it...

othello
07-29-2013, 03:06 AM
I saw pacific rim and I liked it.My only question is why would they put all that time and money into a giant wall when the jaegers started to loose? Just keep building better jaegers.I know nit picking a little.

I also saw the wolverine movie it was ok could of been way better definitely better then the wolverine origin movie which was a total mess and dare I say garbage.If you see it definitely stay for the bonus scene during the credits.I won't give the plot away but there was a scene in it that made me say WTF and almost/basically ruined the whole movie for me.

sucka4chix
07-29-2013, 03:27 AM
Everybody cheered where I was. I was like "C'mon people. Really??". I guess I'm not a nerd.

othello
07-29-2013, 03:49 AM
I don't want to give the plot away to the wolverine so lets just say adamantium isn't as weak as the movie says it is.Also where was ogun?He would of made a great villain.The silver samurai isn't a bad guy.It wasn't a bad movie but not a great one either.If you don't know a lot about the wolverine then it was a pretty good movie if you know stuff about the wolverine character then the movie was prob a C+ at best.But this movie was way better than the origin movie which was trash

Cuchulain
07-29-2013, 01:38 PM
I haven't seen either one of them yet. Here's a review of Pacific Rim from Comic Book Girl 19. I get a kick out of this chick. She's also a big Game of Thrones fan.

Pacific Rim quick review - spoiler free-ish. - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUClQJZXp7U)

GroobyKrissy
07-29-2013, 02:43 PM
Everybody cheered where I was. I was like "C'mon people. Really??". I guess I'm not a nerd.

Assuming you're talking about Pacific Rim here...

A few people cheered in the theater where I went too. I thought it was kind of funny, myself. This little kid was like, "Yahh! We won!" Got some laughs from other audience Members.

zardoz_2008
08-28-2013, 12:35 AM
Fights scenes were great, and so was Ron Pealman, but other wise a pretty "meh" movie to me. I know I'm in the minority, as all my other geek friends love it.

I liked Wolverine actually, even though I know the original story very well. I like how they adapted it. The bonus scene is great and sets up the next Xmen film nicely.