PDA

View Full Version : Naked And Afraid

GroobyKrissy
07-25-2013, 04:40 AM
So, I am just curious.

Is anybody else watching this show, Naked and Afraid? Does it seem pretty one sided to you all?

I've watched the first four episodes now and the guys portrayed are the most sissy, wimpy, complaining, irritating, guys they could have possibly chosen. On the flip side, the girls are awesome... they don't complain, they don't get sick (or if they do, they "power through"), they build these marvelous structures from vines, etc. etc.

I'm all for female empowerment, but this show seems determined to "make a point" while masquerading as a "reality show".

Plus, it just seems kind of stupid. Sit around in the [insert environment] for 21 days and survive. No point except you have to get to a pick up point about 10 miles away... whoopie.

I thought this series could have been pretty good but it is getting more and more irritating the more I watch it. Anyone else?

Remy757Photog
07-25-2013, 04:46 AM
Just watching now to see what it is all about. I'm more a fan of Bear Grylls Man vs Wild show, this seems like a gimmick just off the first few minutes. I do actually like survivalist shows in general, but I don't see the allure here.

GroobyKrissy
07-25-2013, 04:49 AM
Bear is awesome and I like that Dual Survival show too. I can't remember the name of it but I think it is Man, Woman, Wild or something like that... also kind of fun.

LilyRox
07-25-2013, 04:51 AM
They purposely pick one amateur and one other person with more experience. It always seems like one person carries the other person the entire time. I seen some guys that have just as much experience on there though. I don't think it's gender biased.

GroobyKrissy
07-25-2013, 04:57 AM
They purposely pick one amateur and one other person with more experience. It always seems like one person carries the other person the entire time. I seen some guys that have just as much experience on there though. I don't think it's gender biased.

Hmmm... we watching the same show?

In ALL four of the episodes that I've watched, I think the girls have started with a lower "survival rating" than the guys. But it is the girls who always "save the day". Also, they've all been designated as "survival experts" at the start, from what I have watched.

Just in this episode (4), the guy is so afraid of water that he won't dive in the ocean to look for food (he teaches a survival school in Indiana but is afraid of water?!!). Of course, the girl is awesome and sets a home-made lobster trap, which ends up catching 2 lobsters just as they are on the brink of exhaustion from not eating.

The guy, of course, proves his worth by killing a baby 12" caiman later on in the night. Wow...big man.

robertlouis
07-25-2013, 05:00 AM
Hmmm... we watching the same show?

In ALL four of the episodes that I've watched, I think the girls have started with a lower "survival rating" than the guys. But it is the girls who always "save the day". Also, they've all been designated as "survival experts" at the start, from what I have watched.

Just in this episode (4), the guy is so afraid of water that he won't dive in the ocean to look for food. Of course, the girl is awesome and sets a home-made lobster trap, which ends up catching 2 lobsters just as they are on the brink of exhaustion from not eating.

The guy, of course, proves his worth by killing a baby 12" caiman later on in the night. Wow...big man.

It's more reality shite. Stick pins in your eyes instead.

Or watch something with more substance. Hope it never crosses the pond.

dderek123
07-25-2013, 05:07 AM
It's more reality shite. Stick pins in your eyes instead.

Or watch something with more substance. Hope it never crosses the pond.

Maybe this is more to your taste? :dancing:

http://vimeo.com/58849577

GroobyKrissy
07-25-2013, 05:09 AM
Episode 5 starting.

And another thing, the guys all start out with these totally misogynistic statements.

Borneo
Puma - Male - 33 - Survival Expert "I can take care of myself in any situation. I'm a bit of a badass, I suppose."
Survival Rating At Start: 7.1

Julie - Female - 30 - Survival Teacher, 5 years experience
Survival Rating At Start: 5.5

Remy757Photog
07-25-2013, 06:10 AM
Bear is awesome and I like that Dual Survival show too. I can't remember the name of it but I think it is Man, Woman, Wild or something like that... also kind of fun.

I do like those shows as well.

I got distracted and paused the first episode, but just finished it. In this first episode, the guy clearly carried the weight for the team. Yes, he did the most bitching, but aside from catching the turtle, the girl didn't do much of anything but watch the river. She even left the fire unattended and nearly killed the guy letting the enclosure catch fire while he slept!!! She was actually kind of bitchy to him as well, there was two specific incidents where he risked his life getting food for them and her response was totally uncalled for.

Overall, I'm going to continue to watch, not for the naked factor, but because I'm biased toward survival shows. This will provide something to have playing when nothing else is on. I really prefer the shows were they are actually teaching you techniques about survival though.

GroobyKrissy
07-25-2013, 06:34 AM
I do like those shows as well.

I got distracted and paused the first episode, but just finished it. In this first episode, the guy clearly carried the weight for the team. Yes, he did the most bitching, but aside from catching the turtle, the girl didn't do much of anything but watch the river. She even left the fire unattended and nearly killed the guy letting the enclosure catch fire while he slept!!! She was actually kind of bitchy to him as well, there was two specific incidents where he risked his life getting food for them and her response was totally uncalled for.

Overall, I'm going to continue to watch, not for the naked factor, but because I'm biased toward survival shows. This will provide something to have playing when nothing else is on. I really prefer the shows were they are actually teaching you techniques about survival though.

Wait wait wait.

I watched that episode when the show first came out so I don't remember it that well but didn't the place catch on fire while the guy was sleeping and the girl was out taking a walk or something? That was on both of them, no? I don't think there was any stated agreement for one to tend the fire while the other slept, at least that I remember.

I think they both did a lot of river watching :)... I was so bored over that first episode I almost just wrote it off. I kept watching it because it wasn't TOO bad. Trust me... it gets worse. :)

Remy757Photog
07-25-2013, 06:56 AM
Wait wait wait.

I watched that episode when the show first came out so I don't remember it that well but didn't the place catch on fire while the guy was sleeping and the girl was out taking a walk or something? That was on both of them, no? I don't think there was any stated agreement for one to tend the fire while the other slept, at least that I remember.

I think they both did a lot of river watching :)... I was so bored over that first episode I almost just wrote it off. I kept watching it because it wasn't TOO bad. Trust me... it gets worse. :)

lol technically I do agree they should both be watching the fire, but it is common practice to take turns. However; the girl actually assigns herself the job of tending to fire, and it is later shown that she doesn't do ANY of the fire wood collecting, she just places it on the fire and pokes at sporadically. Now to the point of the enclosure catching fire, that was really on her, she didn't wake him up and say "hey I'm going for a random walk, don't go back to sleep because I'm not hear to watch the fire." My flatmate pointed out how dumb it was to have the fire inside the enclosure in the first place, and I do agree that it should have been moved back out after the rain stopped. Regardless, she should have woke him up to let him know she was leaving the fire unattended, it was 3am.

GroobyKrissy
07-25-2013, 07:02 AM
lol technically I do agree they should both be watching the fire, but it is common practice to take turns. However; the girl actually assigns herself the job of tending to fire, and it is later shown that she doesn't do ANY of the fire wood collecting, she just places it on the fire and pokes at sporadically. Now to the point of the enclosure catching fire, that was really on her, she didn't wake him up and say "hey I'm going for a random walk, don't go back to sleep because I'm not hear to watch the fire." My flatmate pointed out how dumb it was to have the fire inside the enclosure in the first place, and I do agree that it should have been moved back out after the rain stopped. Regardless, she should have woke him up to let him know she was leaving the fire unattended, it was 3am.

Ahhh... OK, didn't remember her assigning herself the fire keeper. I stand corrected.

Anyway, I'd be interested to know what you think of the rest if you keep watching. I don't know... it just seems like they start out with the guys making some overtly misogynistic statements and then they end up being big babies. I think episode 2, the guy is supposed to be this ex-military guy who teaches SERE school (SERE SCHOOL)... but he totally breaks down!!?

Surely there are some actual men out there who can stand 21 days in the wilderness without crying like kids :).

Amy Gray
07-25-2013, 07:44 AM
In response to the description. You're REALLLLLLY misjudging which of us is more scared of the other when it comes to sex. I mean, like on an epic scale.

GroobyKrissy
07-25-2013, 04:37 PM
In response to the description. You're REALLLLLLY misjudging which of us is more scared of the other when it comes to sex. I mean, like on an epic scale.

Well I hope you maintain that bravado because you're going to need it when I get around to you :)

Remy757Photog
07-26-2013, 02:28 AM
Ok, in this second episode the guy was mostly useless, they pretty much would have starved if not for the girl. lol I'm going to continue watching...

runround04
07-26-2013, 09:31 AM
Add a serial killer to the island, that'll live'n it some lol

dakota87
09-04-2014, 03:35 AM
I love this show. I for one couldn't do it. I can't imagine bugs biting my private parts. And no toilet paper.
Will there ever be a ts on it or nah?

adude444
09-04-2014, 01:47 PM
I have met some of the cast at shows where they do appearances and most of what you see is the result of heavy editing. In the end it is a lot like taking quotes out of context, you never get an idea of what really happened or what was said.

eccentricBlue
09-04-2014, 02:46 PM
I've watched a few episodes, and it's about an hour and a half I can never get back.