PDA

View Full Version : TV Shows...What are you following?

Pages : [1] 2

Jericho
07-11-2013, 10:50 PM
I don't get to watch a lot of television but, recently been turned on to Luther (Idris Elba)...Badass!

And for good or ill, I kinda like Defiance...Could go to some interesting places if it doesn't get cancelled!

my my my!
07-11-2013, 11:34 PM
not currently, but when the new seasons start in September, October

following:
New girl
Castle
Bones

Ms.Stepford
07-11-2013, 11:38 PM
True Blood and Dexter right now.

youngblood61
07-12-2013, 01:30 AM
The Killing,Dexter, Ray Donovan,and Copper.

pharcyde
07-12-2013, 01:32 AM
Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, and Game of Thrones. Soon to be following Boardwalk Empire and True Blood :-)

youngblood61
07-12-2013, 01:34 AM
Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, and Game of Thrones. Soon to be following Boardwalk Empire and True Blood :-)Looking forward BWE this fall.

Quiet Reflections
07-12-2013, 01:41 AM
right now nothing really good is on, I do like Franklin and Bash but other than that im not watching much TV these days. Dexter and True Blood are both past their good days and neither has put on a good show this season. Defiance and Warehouse 13 are both ok but with both of them ending for the season with little to no fanfare im not sure Defiance will make it back. I did enjoy it as a lead in for Warehouse 13 and will be sorry to see that go off the air at the end of next season. I almost Forgot Top Gear is back so I am watching that.

tommy001
07-12-2013, 02:28 AM
i like the news

robertlouis
07-12-2013, 02:37 AM
right now nothing really good is on, I do like Franklin and Bash but other than that im not watching much TV these days. Dexter and True Blood are both past their good days and neither has put on a good show this season. Defiance and Warehouse 13 are both ok but with both of them ending for the season with little to no fanfare im not sure Defiance will make it back. I did enjoy it as a lead in for Warehouse 13 and will be sorry to see that go off the air at the end of next season. I almost Forgot Top Gear is back so I am watching that.

Fuckin' 'ell.

Has he got his own show???? :hide-1:

robertlouis
07-12-2013, 02:41 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed the live tennis from Wimbledon, and not just because of Murray's win. It was a vintage year.

Right now is pretty much the quiet season for TV here in the UK.

However, as Prospero has been saying, there's a fantastic French series on Channel 4 at the moment called The Returned, about the dead returning to a small community. They're not zombies or anything like that, but they are very, and unsettlingly, strange.

It's brilliantly done. Don't wait for some US network to fuck it up like they did with The Killing. Suffer the subtitles.

trish
07-12-2013, 02:51 AM
The Killing, Breaking Bad (when the new season starts in August).

robertlouis
07-12-2013, 02:54 AM
The Killing, Breaking Bad (when the new season starts in August).

Hope that's the Danish original, Trish.

I'm getting into Breaking Bad via the boxed sets. One of the best and most unusual drama series to come out of the US in a long, long time.

kukm4
07-12-2013, 02:59 AM
The ones i'm watching that are currently airing are.

Magic City (S2)
True Blood (S6)
Dexter ( S8 )
Copper (S2)
Ray Donovan (S1)

fred41
07-12-2013, 03:00 AM
I don't get to watch a lot of television but, recently been turned on to Luther (Idris Elba)...Badass!

And for good or ill, I kinda like Defiance...Could go to some interesting places if it doesn't get cancelled!

"Luther" was excellent. Had to watch the first two seasons on Netflix ...I don't get BBC in HD....love his nutso friend Alice.
I'll figure a way to get season 3.

I watch a lot of T.V....the newest show I'm following is Ray Donovan. Finally a reason to watch Showtime.

Ecstatic
07-12-2013, 05:59 AM
Not much currently: Defiance, Continuum, that's really about it. Warehouse 13 has had a good run, especially bringing James Marsters and Anthony Head back together again, but it's ending next summer with a short run.

I haven't tracked what is and isn't coming back or what's new on the horizon for fall, but I'm especially looking forward to Shameless, Nurse Jackie, Doctor Who, and Orphan Black. Tatiana Maslany is simply amazing in Orphan Black, and the show has been quite good, too.

Idt20082008"
07-12-2013, 06:36 AM
Boardwalk Empire and Sons of Anarchy are my favorites. Burn Notice, Suits and Person of Interest are others that I like

danthepoetman
07-12-2013, 06:47 AM
The Walking Dead. Last season was not as good as the two previous ones, though.
Boardwalk Empire. Last season was the best of the two and by far. I'll follow the next one.
World Championship Boxing on HBO. I try to never miss one show. Boxing After Dark on HBO.
Often ESPN Friday Night Fights.
Wipeout. I love that show.
With my gf, we watch several reality shows... Also a cute little game show called "Baggage".

In the past I loved Six Feet Under, series about the life of a family of thanatologists, with a twist of metaphysics, because of the topic itself. And In Treatment, following some therapy sessions; the dialogues were so well writen that despite not believing at all in psychoanalysis, I still enjoyed the show.

Besides that, I watch a lot of documentaries, but rarely something regular, and a few movies from time to time.

Prospero
07-12-2013, 06:56 AM
Right now - mainly the Returned, truly haunting and very clever french TV drama series about zombies (but miles from the familiar approach).

Try to catch American Family... very funny show

In the past... The West Wing, The Wire, The Sopranos, The Bridge, The Killing, Spiral (also French), Hit and Miss, The Good Wife, Nashville,

I assume we are talking drama and not documentaries?

JenniferParisHusband
07-12-2013, 07:47 AM

I am eagerly looking forward to the next series of Luther. the first two were great!

The 10 Shows I'm following...

1) Moone Boy (Irish, but on Hulu and brilliantly funny!)
2) Walking Dead
3) Banshee
4) Archer
5) Orphan Black
6) Continuum
7) Danger 5 (campy, not for everyone, hard to get into)
8) Arrow
9) Person of Interest
10) Sherlock

youngblood61
07-12-2013, 04:56 PM
The Killings got me right now. Very creepy show!

youngblood61
07-12-2013, 04:57 PM
Anybody know when Sons of Anarchy starts?

Prospero
07-12-2013, 05:43 PM
the American or Danish series, youngblood61?

bluesoul
07-12-2013, 05:53 PM
7) Danger 5 (campy, not for everyone, hard to get into)

are you kidding me? with a show like this, i like to get straight to the biscuits! (and as always, kill hitler)

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/4zaHLhj8jjA/mqdefault.jpg

youngblood61
07-12-2013, 05:55 PM
the American or Danish series, youngblood61?American

Prospero
07-12-2013, 05:56 PM
Okay... i saw the Danish one so didn't bother with the US one but i heard it was actually very good as well and the plot diverges from the original.

dderek123
07-12-2013, 06:17 PM
I'm watching the first season of Workaholics. It's hilarious. It reminds me of my highschool days .. and maybe first year university.

youngblood61
07-12-2013, 06:17 PM
Show is kick ass!

dderek123
07-12-2013, 06:32 PM
I'm watching the first season of Workaholics. It's hilarious. It reminds me of my highschool days .. and maybe first year university.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZaFIDxT1J4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTT0u44bH4s

I lost it at "boo hoo".

ImpulZ
07-12-2013, 09:30 PM
Geordie Shore!

KnHd
07-12-2013, 09:39 PM
Falling Skies

youngblood61
07-12-2013, 10:27 PM
Falling Skies

600828Great show!

danthepoetman
07-12-2013, 10:28 PM
Falling Skies

Great show!

This one is intriguing to me; I love sci fi! I missed the 30 first episodes, I think, guys! Should I still try myself at this one, or is it too late to try to get into with?

youngblood61
07-12-2013, 10:32 PM
It's worth it yeah!

JenniferParisHusband
07-13-2013, 04:29 AM
are you kidding me? with a show like this, i like to get straight to the biscuits! (and as always, kill hitler)

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/4zaHLhj8jjA/mqdefault.jpg

OH THANK GOD!!!!! You just restored my faith in humanity.

The Perfect Swiss Kiss:
Two parts Creme de Cacao
One part vodka
Pour over crushed ice
Add milk
Finish with chocolate flakes

robertlouis
07-13-2013, 04:37 AM
Top of the Lake - intrigued by the prospect of this series which starts tonight on BBC, directed by Jane Campion (The Piano, inter alia) and starring Elizabeth Moss (Peggy from Mad Men) and Holly Hunter. I'll report back.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2013/jul/12/top-lake-bbc-jane-campion

Ecstatic
07-13-2013, 04:59 PM
This one is intriguing to me; I love sci fi! I missed the 30 first episodes, I think, guys! Should I still try myself at this one, or is it too late to try to get into with?

It actually started in media res as the invasion had already occurred so you'll just be picking it up at a later point. Still well worth it.

youngblood61
07-13-2013, 08:34 PM
It really is a good show.:)

bluesoul
07-13-2013, 09:05 PM
OH THANK GOD!!!!! You just restored my faith in humanity.

The Perfect Swiss Kiss:
Two parts Creme de Cacao
One part vodka
Pour over crushed ice
Add milk
Finish with chocolate flakes

"why thank you very much my friend"

*mumbles something in german before jumping out of a glass window*

Toadily
07-13-2013, 09:59 PM
Now that I put it down like this, I am watching way to much TV. :ignore:

2 Broke Girls
Anger Management
Arrow
Baby Daddy
Beauty And The Beast
Being Human
Big Bang Theory
Boardwalk Empire
Bones
Breaking Bad
Burn Notice
Castle
Chicago Fire
Criminal Minds
Crossing Lines
CSI
Defiance
Devious Maids
Dexter
Elementary
Exes, The
Good Wife, The
Grimm
Falling Skies
The Fosters
Franklin & Bash
Glades
Graceland
Hart of Dixie
Haven
Hawaii five-o
Justified
King & Maxwell
Law and Order
League
Lost Girl
Major Crimes
Melissa and Joey
Mentalist, The
Mike and Molly
Misfits
Modern Family
NCIS
NCIS-LA
Newsroom
Nurse Jackie
Necessary Roughness
Perception
Person of Interest
Ray Donovan
Revolution
Rizzoli & Isles
Rookie Blue
Royal Pains
Saving Hope
Shameless
Sherlock
Sons of Anarchy
Suits
Supernatural
Treme
Two and a Half Men
True Blood
Twisted
Ultimate Fighter, The
Unforgettable
Vampire Diaries, The
Warehouse 13
Walking Dead, The
White Collar

Quiet Reflections
07-13-2013, 10:41 PM

Not really because most of those shows aren't running at the moment. Now if you are just sitting around watching reruns and netflix all day then you might have a problem

EZWind
07-13-2013, 11:17 PM
HBO on Demand is re-airing the Sopranos season 1...starting to get hooked on that again.
For Aaron Sorkin fans...Newsroom is great...esp. Olivia Munn!...season 2 starts tomorrow
...trying to get into Under the Dome....off to a medium start on that one, tho the redhead journalist babe is very hot

danthepoetman
07-13-2013, 11:22 PM

I'm wondering if you have the time for anything else, Toadily. How can you even find the time to be on HA??

youngblood61
07-14-2013, 02:03 AM
HBO on Demand is re-airing the Sopranos season 1...starting to get hooked on that again.
For Aaron Sorkin fans...Newsroom is great...esp. Olivia Munn!...season 2 starts tomorrow
...trying to get into Under the Dome....off to a medium start on that one, tho the redhead journalist babe is very hotIt's the only season I missed!

EZWind
07-14-2013, 02:45 AM
It's the only season I missed!

....get on it, man....or get Netflix if you don't have HBO...I'm really diggin' it
...really underscores the tragic loss of Big Jim...but the entire cast is fantastic as well, esp Edie Falco and the Mom, Nancy Marchand

youngblood61
07-14-2013, 03:05 AM
....get on it, man....or get Netflix if you don't have HBO...I'm really diggin' it
...really underscores the tragic loss of Big Jim...but the entire cast is fantastic as well, esp Edie Falco and the Mom, Nancy MarchandNo doubt, I have HBO.

SarinaFan91
07-15-2013, 03:35 AM
Currently burning through Stargate: Atlantis....yeah, I'm a bit of a nerd to say the least :)

youngblood61
07-15-2013, 03:38 AM
Just started the 1st season of the Soprano's!

EZWind
07-15-2013, 04:10 AM
Just watched the pilot episode of Ray Donovan on Showtime...looks like it may have potential. Liev Schreiber as a private eye "fixer" type guy in LA. Jon Voight as his dad and as his wife, Trixie from Deadwood as a redhead...hotness personified

youngblood61
07-15-2013, 11:40 PM
Just watched the pilot episode of Ray Donovan on Showtime...looks like it may have potential. Liev Schreiber as a private eye "fixer" type guy in LA. Jon Voight as his dad and as his wife, Trixie from Deadwood as a redhead...hotness personifiedThis show is gonna be a keeper!

Johnny.Blaze
07-16-2013, 08:23 AM
Not currently, but when new season starts up again.
1. Game of throwns (Best show on television)
2. The Walking Dead (2nd best on television)

Shows I'm currently watching:
1. Dexter (Sad that it's the last season)
2. Copper
3. Ray Donovan
4. True Blood
5. The Newsroom
6. Hells Kitchen US (Gotta love Gordon Ramsey)
7. Masterchef US

Johnny.Blaze
07-16-2013, 08:25 AM
Just watched the pilot episode of Ray Donovan on Showtime...looks like it may have potential. Liev Schreiber as a private eye "fixer" type guy in LA. Jon Voight as his dad and as his wife, Trixie from Deadwood as a redhead...hotness personified

Trixie is so F'n hot. I also loved her in Deadwood. Which was one of the best shows ever on T.V in my opinion.

youngblood61
07-16-2013, 08:37 AM
Copper is awesome!

EZWind
07-16-2013, 03:59 PM
Trixie is so F'n hot. I also loved her in Deadwood. Which was one of the best shows ever on T.V in my opinion.

....it was. "Shakespeare in the Mud". A crying shame about how it ended...or more to the point, didn't end. There was sposed to be a movie to tie up the loose ends. What's up w/ that?

EZWind
07-16-2013, 04:04 PM
This show is gonna be a keeper!

:iagree:...yeah, looks like it. Just checked out episode 2...there's a TS featured in one o the plotlines. And Elliot Gould is terriffic! Love that character

Jericho
07-16-2013, 04:28 PM
"Luther" was excellent. Had to watch the first two seasons on Netflix ...I don't get BBC in HD....love his nutso friend Alice.
I'll figure a way to get season 3.

If you do torrents, they're on isohunt,
And if you're an Idris Elba fan, check out the tv series, Ultraviolet, he was fukkin excellent in that.

youngblood61
07-16-2013, 07:52 PM
:iagree:...yeah, looks like it. Just checked out episode 2...there's a TS featured in one o the plotlines. And Elliot Gould is terriffic! Love that characterYeah, the TS tried to blackmail one of Ray's clients. Jon Voight has been awesome.

danthepoetman
07-16-2013, 09:13 PM
Anyone knows a Brittish show entitled "Black Mirror"? I've seen a couple of episodes. This show seems like a lot of fun!

youngblood61
07-17-2013, 01:23 AM
And if you're an Idris Elba fan, check out the tv series, Ultraviolet, he was fukkin excellent in that.Big fan, every since Stringer Bell in the Wire.

fred41
07-17-2013, 01:38 AM
And if you're an Idris Elba fan, check out the tv series, Ultraviolet, he was fukkin excellent in that.

Thanks Jericho...will check out "Ultraviolet" when I get a chance.

As for Luthor,...I'm happy to report I found BBCAHD (BBC america) where it was hiding all along - right in front of my face...actually it was an HD packet I didn't know I had added to the front end of my normal channels.
..now I can catch upon "Copper" too.

EZWind
07-19-2013, 05:37 PM
Yeah, the TS tried to blackmail one of Ray's clients. Jon Voight has been awesome.
....yeah, sadly, not a very flattering or sympathetic character there, that Chloe. You're right on about Voight tho.....may not agree w/ his politics, but he's one damn fine actor....loved him in Runaway Train....wonder why he's always so good as a convict?

youngblood61
07-19-2013, 06:00 PM
....yeah, sadly, not a very flattering or sympathetic character there, that Chloe. You're right on about Voight tho.....may not agree w/ his politics, but he's one damn fine actor....loved him in Runaway Train....wonder why he's always so good as a convict?Ray did give her the money for SRS.

EZWind
07-20-2013, 03:28 AM
Ray did give her the money for SRS.

...yeah.....the other guy's money. Ray's all right...he might be a hardass but he's a stand up kinda due

youngblood61
07-20-2013, 01:04 PM
...yeah.....the other guy's money. Ray's all right...he might be a hardass but he's a stand up kinda due :iagree:

buttslinger
02-16-2014, 06:58 AM
True Detective HBO Sunday night: great tv.

pantybulge69
02-16-2014, 08:18 AM
Looking forward BWE this fall.

assuming this thread means the drama series, since breaking bad is over,...true blood, vampire diaries,...true detective,..homeland,..game of throne...sons of anarchy,..and of course- the walking dead.

i gave up on sleepy hollow and bates motel. and even Marvel Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., ain't what i thought they would be,and i total missed the dracula series.

maxpower
02-16-2014, 09:08 AM
Watching 2nd season of House of Cards on Netflix.

trish
02-16-2014, 04:42 PM
Indeed. Love both the Harrelson and McConoughhey characters. Seeing them through the camera lens in the interview rooms (wherein the story unfolds) reminds me of The Office, turned very very dark.

Stavros
02-16-2014, 05:36 PM
Hostages (2013)
I don't watch much tv but this sounded intriguing mainly because I like hostage dramas, from Key Largo to Captain Phillips. The basic premise, that a surgeon is going to operate on the President is taken hostage by people who want her to kill him off during the operation, is so full of holes it can barely be seen -and after the first couple of episodes it seems to have disappeared. For some reason the sub-plots have become quite interesting and I enjoy it for what it is worth -we are about two-thirds of the way through it in the UK.

I also liked the first series of The Americans, in particular the lead actress Keri Russell.

HOSTAGES FIRST LOOK Official Trailer [HD] - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8thzMN2jj6c)

The Americans - (TV series - 2013) - Trailer - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4D96fPl_hI)

Prospero
02-16-2014, 06:09 PM
The Good Wife. Intelligent but underrated. Nashville. Soap operish but good music (in series one. Not sure about two yet). Various Scaninavian drama when its on (The Bridge, Borgen, The Killing) . Friday Night Lights. (I know nothing about college football but this is good) The Americans Enjoyable hokum. Girls. Madmen. Elementary (daft modern sherlock Sholmes but with the lovely Lucy Liu) Modern Family and House Of Cards - now back fr a second season.

In the past The Sopranos, The Wire, Twin Peaks and The West Wing

up_for_it
02-16-2014, 06:18 PM
I'm religiously following True Detective right now, but I need to get caught up on Game of Thrones. HBO is still making some of the best shows on TV. I'm also trying to get back into Justified, mostly because I'm curious to see if the series will change after the passing of Elmore Leonard (R.I.P.), and of course there's always Archer.

trish
02-16-2014, 11:19 PM
...I'm also trying to get back into Justified, mostly because I'm curious to see if the series will change after the passing of Elmore Leonard (R.I.P.), ...Of course I knew the show was based on Elmore's character, but I didn't he wrote, or was consulted in the writing of the scripts.

bluesoul
02-16-2014, 11:26 PM
tried to watch true detective but hated it. the definition of trying too hard.
shark tank always gives me a laugh plus i love barbara. also opposite world is awkward and cruel so, it entertains me.

kiaman
02-16-2014, 11:47 PM
Hello, like many of you, I don't get to watch much t.v., but I am following Dracula on NBC. I hope it dosen't get canceled, although they eleminated many of the main characters in the final episode.

youngblood61
02-17-2014, 02:42 AM
The Walking Dead, Banshee, True Detective, Justified, House of Lies.

robertlouis
02-17-2014, 03:38 AM
Inside Number 9, the latest offering from Reece Shearsmith and Steve Pemberton, two members of the gloriously grotesque League of Gentlemen. Last week's episode featuring them as a couple of hopeless burglars, and virtually dialogue-free, was not only clever but also laugh out loud funny.

And following the sad passing of The Bridge, I'm greatly compensated by the return of Line of Duty, Jed Mercurio's coruscating drama about police corruption.

Both on BBC2, both very highly recommended.

Stavros
02-17-2014, 10:45 AM
I also saw that Inside No 9 and assumed it was a one-off -is it a series?. Unusual to have a half-hour comedy sketch, but it was very well done -and the queen definitely looked better with the wig on...

Prospero
02-17-2014, 11:36 AM
Hated Inside No 9... but then I also hated The League Of Gentlemen

Stavros
02-17-2014, 01:14 PM
Just out of interest, what was it about Inside No 9 that you didn't like? I don't know what The League of Gentlemen is, other than the Jack Hawkins film.

Prospero
02-17-2014, 01:36 PM
I am just not a fan of the sort of grotesquerie that this series - and the dark humour of The League Of Gentlemen - offered (a thousand miles from the old Jack Hawkins film). But that's a personal thing, isn't it. Humour above almost anything else is such an individual thing. I loved Monty Python for instance, but close friends hated it. Some loved the Three Stooges and hate The Marx Brothers. I'm a Marxist on that one.

Dino Velvet
02-17-2014, 04:49 PM

I've been recommending that one too. Also been watching Justified, The Walking Dead, The Following, and Criminal Minds.

maxpower
02-17-2014, 06:25 PM
I'm also watching the third season of the BBC's Sherlock.

youngblood61
02-18-2014, 01:39 AM
Luther is excellent. Idris Alba one of my favorite Actors.

luvs2lick1385
02-18-2014, 02:21 AM
My List

The Olympics
Chicago Fire
Person Of Interest
Banshee
Shark Tank
Blue Bloods
NCIS L.A.

That's it for now

youngblood61
02-18-2014, 03:51 AM
True Detective HBO Sunday night: great tv.Thought last night was the best episode so far.

robertlouis
02-18-2014, 03:53 AM
Hated Inside No 9... but then I also hated The League Of Gentlemen

Are either of you watching Line of Duty?

Prospero
02-18-2014, 09:19 AM
Are either of you watching Line of Duty?

Caught up with episode one last night. Powerful stuff
But I am beginning to agree with David hare, dame Helen and Howard Jacobson on all of this ultra violence

Stavros
02-18-2014, 11:28 AM
I didn't see the first series but I watched the first episode of In the Line of Duty, not surprised by the regulation canned muzak, the layers of corruption in the police service, the plot that presumably will end up somewhere in 'the establishment' whereas most police corruption centres around local gangs and criminals rather than 'high politics'. I also think the diet of murders is beyond parody and wonder if it is even possible to make a drama in which someone isn't slashed to ribbons or thrown or windows. It is one of the many reasons why I do not watch tv much these days. In fact I dont think tv has done justice to itself as an artistic medium since the 1960s and 1970s when plays were made with tv in mind, rather than the cinema. The tetralogy by John Hopkins, Talking to a Stranger, remains the high point of tv, since then it has decayed into cliches and tedious detective shows which all do the same thing. And where, after all, are the dramas about ordinary people and money, given that most relationships when they fail revolve around and sexual infidelity, money/and the lack of it, and arguments about children? Money has surely been one of the most dominant factors in people's lives, and most people don't plan to rob a bank or a mint of millions either.

Prospero
02-18-2014, 11:51 AM
It is the huge and bloody body count that David Hare and Howard Jacobson were talking about - and it was the dominance amidst this slaughter of women that Dame Helen was referring to.

From the Independent
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/if-there-are-too-many-people-being-bumped-off-in-contemporary-drama-its-because-writers-have-forgotten-their-shakespeare-9129353.html

tgirllover1
02-18-2014, 12:47 PM
Currently:

Shameless
The Walking Dead
Deadwood

I've never been a Western kind of guy, but I have one more episode to watch before wrapping up season one. I like it a lot.

Stavros
02-23-2014, 02:49 PM
I have spent the last two days working my way through the whole of the first series of House of Cards. I recall the original version on the BBC which was set in the Houses of Parliament, it had some good acting but was poorly written so I was hoping the American version would be an improvement. I paid £20 for the boxed set and I reckon it is worth £2. Who ever thought politics could be this clean?

One small point -when Zoe Barnes starts coming into the Herald with exclusives, the politics editor can't work out who her source is. One thing we have learned from the hacking scandal here is that newspapers -specifically the Murdoch press in these cases- used private detectives (some of whom were corrupt ex-policemen and their criminal friends)- so I can't work out why Janine didn't just hire a dick to follow Zoe Barnes, not least because the Chief Whip regularly meets Zoe in public places...like they do...and someone tell me where Kevin Spacey gets that accent -South Carolina via the Old Vic? And that re-union at the Sentinel -why didn't they sing Dixie?

CORVETTEDUDE
02-23-2014, 09:26 PM
NCIS, Criminal Minds, CSI, Person of Interest & Elementary

pantybulge69
02-23-2014, 10:54 PM
i've lost tracked of Boardwalk Empire after last year- (it got too slow and methodical in stretches) i may have to go to HBO-GO to get caught up on past shows enough for the this year's episodes.

i've finally sat down to see some of the NBC's Dracula series. i never would have thought that kind of network would be allowed the bloody violent graphics that they have been showing. Seems even more graphic than WB's Vampire Diaries. Thought only cable shows like HBO (true blood) or AMC (walking dead) could get away with that.

pantybulge69
10-01-2014, 06:03 AM
" THE STRAIN " (FX channel) has been terrific! - can be gory at times.
check out the brutal head-crushing in the opening pilot...!

i am very lukewarm on "GOTHAM". but i'll wait it out to see how it develops.
Coming out of the gates the last 2 weeks, i havent been that impressed.
i was watching HBO's the Leftovers" it's weird and you have to have patient
but it keeps giving you more intriguing mysteries to solve out. It's been given
the green light for season 2.

BTW "True Blood" final season, and finale show ..was plain awful and
very disappointing. A shameful ending for a classic series.
i am currently on the final season of Sons of Anarchy. what a cool series.

i have tried to wait and see waht the 2nd season of
" Orange is the new Black " because i did enjoy the 1st season.
But this 2nd season is looking like too much of a disinteresting comedy
show than a kick ass drama series.

i'm patiently awaiting "the Walking Dead" ...and premiere of "the FLASH" for October due date release.

Cheers :cheers:

cassieukts
10-01-2014, 08:05 AM
I am rewatching shameless all over again on sky boxsets

youngblood61
10-01-2014, 02:04 PM
Been into The strain since it started. Looking forward to the finale. The Knick is also a very good show. Sons of Anarchy, been great so far, wondering if Jackson will kill his Mother once he finds out she killed Tara? Gotham is intriguing.

Prospero
10-01-2014, 02:58 PM
Have finally embarked on "Breaking Bad"

youngblood61
10-02-2014, 12:39 AM
Have finally embarked on "Breaking Bad"Have fun,Great show.

RallyCola
10-02-2014, 05:21 AM
I must say...I am a bit shocked that I like Gotham.

I thought I would hate it but it is surprisingly funny (Harvey Bullock is awesome) and the action is solid and based in reality thus far (that is no super natural or super human stuff yet). Plus interweaving the characters as they are does not bother me as much as I originally thought it would.

2 episodes in and i think I will continue to watch.

The one part of the show i don't like at all is anything to do with bruce and alfred. i find both characters/actors to bore me so far and would rather just see the Gordon/Bullock/criminal story lines.

AshlynCreamher
10-02-2014, 05:42 AM
Downton Abbey - Great show

Stavros
10-02-2014, 12:54 PM
A tv show called Transparent has been aired via Amazon, and I heard a review of it on BBC radio last Saturday, I was expecting it to appear as a thread but not so far. I haven't seen it, has anyone else?

Transparent (TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transparent_%28TV_series%29)

pantybulge69
10-26-2014, 02:26 AM

i meant to see Defiance ..as well as Dominion.
hopefully they will eventualy be available on streaming.
i can't wait to see the Strain in 2015 again. Awesome series.

Right now it's about the Walking Dead, American Horror Freak Show (year of the circus freaks and sicko killing clowns) Constantine (NBC) and the Flash (WB)

Gotham is just not working out too well with me and i'm close to giving up on it
as I'm finding it boring and not what i thought/hoped it would be.

fred41
12-08-2014, 02:11 AM
For all you folks that miss "Orange is the New Black"..do yourself a favor and watch the Australian show "Wentworth"...it's a take on an older series "The Prisoner (also called 'prisoner in cell block H')"...
It's gritty and terrific. Season one is very good, but season two is fucking excellent. It's on Netflix now.
...and don't fuck with Bea Smith.

Dark passenger
12-08-2014, 02:33 AM
The strain, the walking dead, 24 and murder in the first. Oh and Homeland!

Dahlia Babe Ailhad
12-08-2014, 05:20 AM
Hi Television lovers,

I do not watch television very much. I watch, maybe, an hour a day and that is if i turn it on, at all. It hasn't been on once today, and i've been up since 4:30 this morning.

When i do, i like to watch, Modern Family. I like it because there is no laugh track. It's really funny enough to not need for a laugh track.

I used to enjoy, Arrested Development.

I, also, enjoyed the cooking show called, Chopped.
Chef Ramsey is a little too coarse, rude and crude, for me. He reminds me of what i hated most about working in a kitchen - a screaming chef.
I used to go home hating myself for working there.
I do watch Hell's Kitchen, or Masterchef once in a while but i do not go out of my way to watch that type televised abuse.

Actually, i really enjoy watching that older British Tv show called, Chef! on youtube, which, by the way, is all about a (rolls eyes) screaming chef lol, go figure, eh?
I think i enjoy it because it's not real abuse. You can see it on youtube if you enter, "Chef the British tv show". Everton, i think it's how his name is spelled, is really cute, too, i think.

When i watch television, i always mute the commercials. So annoying - strangers telling me what i want, and such.

What i really like are the old vintage tv shows from the 60' and 70s, when TV was a little more innocent and stlll funny. I think The Beverly Hillbillies is perhaps my all time favorite from that era.

Check out this episode:
The old truck comes speeding down the road, all out of control. When the truck crashes, Pearl says to her son, Jethro,
"I thought i told you to get rid of those old brakes."
What Jethro says back to her is completely hilarious.

youtube.com/watch?v=gMFSvitV3jM

Babe,
xoxo

BatMasterson
12-08-2014, 06:49 AM
The Blacklist, Salem, The Following, DaVinci's Demons, and I cannot WAIT for the next season of True Detective

RobynBlakeTS
12-08-2014, 12:15 PM
Gotham, The Walking Dead, Game Of Thrones, South Park, American Dad, and my cardinal sin Gordon Ramsay Kitchen Nightmares USA

AshlynCreamher
12-08-2014, 01:43 PM
http://d2buyft38glmwk.cloudfront.net/media/__sized/images/galleries/downton-abbey-season-5-early-slideshow/DOWNTONABBEY_SEASON5_TT_hires-scale-690x390.jpg

Kennadie_Havoc
12-08-2014, 05:19 PM
Walking Dead, House of Cards, Supernatural, Family Guy, and a few other shows that I cant think of right now :)

Absarokah
12-08-2014, 06:59 PM
Once Upon A Time, Vikings, Sons Of Anarchy, Master Chef Junior, Ink Master, Star Trek Enterprise, South Park, Family Guy

sexyasianescorts
12-08-2014, 06:59 PM
The Strain
Sleepy Hollow

Waiting for season 2 of Leftovers how fustrating!!!

Chloe x

Dahlia Babe Ailhad
12-09-2014, 05:41 AM
Hi Television lovers,

....Actually, i really enjoy watching that older British Tv show called, Chef! on youtube, which, by the way, is all about a (rolls eyes) screaming chef lol, go figure, eh?
I think i enjoy it because it's not real abuse. You can see it on youtube if you enter, "Chef the British tv show". Everton, i think it's how his name is spelled, is really cute, too, i think...

Babe,
xoxo

youtube.com/watch?v=IHfhcN3-_Yc

harryP123
12-09-2014, 08:21 AM
:claps Walking dead, Fast and Loud Demolition Theater, Graveyard carz

youngblood61
12-09-2014, 03:22 PM
Looking forward to the finale of SOA.

broncofan
01-27-2015, 02:36 AM
Just started watching Veep with Julia Louis Dreyfus..the show was created by Armando Iannucci who also directed the movie In the Loop. The interesting thing is he's a Brit who created a show about an American vice presidential candidate and her bumbling, incompetent staff. I have no way of knowing if it's realistic, but I think it's hilarious. Highly recommend.

Ts RedVeX
01-27-2015, 04:12 AM
what's a TV show?:o

It does sound somewhat kinky :D

youngblood61
01-27-2015, 04:15 AM
Just started watching Veep with Julia Louis Dreyfus..the show was created by Armando Iannucci who also directed the movie In the Loop. The interesting thing is he's a Brit who created a show about an American vice presidential candidate and her bumbling, incompetent staff. I have no way of knowing if it's realistic, but I think it's hilarious. Highly recommend.Love this show, can't wait for it's return. Also Banshee is back, along with House of lies. Looking forward to The Americans Wednesday.

EZWind
01-27-2015, 05:52 PM
The Strain
Sleepy Hollow

Waiting for season 2 of Leftovers how fustrating!!!

Chloe x
...I would use that word to describe just about every episode of season one of Leftovers...wish I had a dollar for every time I found myself saying WTF is going on here now?
...also awaiting the new season of Ray Donovan, and Game o Thrones, Hell On Wheels and John Oliver and Veep (btw, w/ J Louis D as the actual Vice President, not a candidate as someone said earlier)
....sorry to see Newsroom end (desperately in love w/ Olivia Munn)
...not sorry to see The Dome end, or Utopia...anybody see those train wrecks?
...also, glad to see my favorite of all shows getting mentioned so often: Family Guy...never fails to make me laugh harder than anything else on
...lately, find myself enjoying one o my Mom's favorites...Shark Tank (also desperately in love w/ Lori Grenier)

checkmybrain
01-29-2015, 02:27 AM
I've been watching American Horror Story: Freak Show, Psych, Portlandia, and just recently One Piece (The anime). I'm getting psyched for Rick and Morty this year though, I just hope it airs soon :praying:

AshlynCreamher
01-29-2015, 02:29 AM
http://www.bubbleblabber.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/SP-18.jpg
Lots of references towards transwoman this season!

Stavros
08-11-2015, 03:56 PM
I know it is no longer on tv, but I have spent the last week watching all 17 episodes of The Prisoner, which aired in the UK between 1967 and 1968. I watched it at the time but probably not every episode. The series was unusual because it was dominated by one set -the resort village on the coast of Wales called Portmeirion- and because every episode concerned an attempt by an unidentified authority -assumed to be the British Government- to find out why its agent, Number 6 resigned suddenly from the service. Every attempt to force him to tell the truth fails until ultimately he succeeds in being released, though as he also appears to be promoted this might all have been a test to see if he was suited for the top job, the show is ambiguous on this and caused much controversy for refusing to offer viewers a simple story with a beginning, a middle and an end that they could easily understand, and which may also be the cause of its 'cult following'.

The Prisoner therefore does something quite different from other comparable tv shows of the era, such as Mission:Impossible, I Spy, The Man from U.N.C.L.E. and The Avengers. 17 episodes is too long, dare one say that 6 would have been enough? The theme seems to revolve around the individual against the machine, individual liberty rather than the collective, eccentricity rather than conformism. There are times when it looks dated, but it has not dated as badly as some shows, and at times is quite intriguing. But I think only nerds and converts are likely to watch all 17 episodes. The man who made it happen, Patrick McGoohan left the UK for Los Angeles after the show and never returned, appearing in some so-so films and some episodes of Colombo.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061287/

Imakeiteazy
08-11-2015, 09:46 PM

broncofan
08-11-2015, 10:07 PM
I watched a couple episodes of Inside Amy Schumer. Hit and miss but some of it was really funny. Saw two episodes of the second season of True Detective and thought it was awful. Overwrought dialogue, convoluted plot, and mediocre acting imo.

RallyCola
08-11-2015, 11:31 PM
the only scripted comedy that i watch regularly is the big bang theory.
the only scripted drama that i was regularly is the walking dead. just an aside...i have no interest in Fear The Walking Dead...it looks unoriginal and heavy handed.
i watch other shows if they are on but i don't follow them like the 2 above. mostly i watch movies and educational/how to type shows.

youngblood61
08-12-2015, 09:14 AM
Right now The Strain, Humans, Hell on Wheels, Ray Donovan, Strike Back. Really liked The making of the mob ny. Looking forward to the Bastard Executioner in the fall. A Kurt Sutter joint. Can't forget Murder in the First.

Stavros
08-20-2015, 03:46 PM
Channel 4 in the UK is currently showing a French drama, Witnesses (Les témoins) which is well-written, well-acted and has the spooky recurrence of recently deceased cadavers being dug out of their graves and placed carefully in show homes -silent witnesses to what murky goings on in the past of the police detectives baffled by the case? The usual weakness now undermines European drama, namely the flawed hero/heroine detective who must have demons and problems of their own to match the criminals they are trying to find. Otherwise well done and recommended.

Would like to see the new series of The Americans , which I believe has just stated in the US, it has been one of the best drama series of recent years. It will air in the UK eventually.

buttslinger
08-20-2015, 04:59 PM
Finale of ALONE is on tonight on the History channel., Aug 20.
Ten guys dropped off on an island in British Columbia
It's down to Sam and Alan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQaZRMaK0Zs

youngblood61
08-21-2015, 03:48 AM
The Americans is excellent Stavros.

JenniferParisHusband
08-21-2015, 06:21 AM
Would like to see the new series of The Americans , which I believe has just stated in the US, it has been one of the best drama series of recent years. It will air in the UK eventually.

There's one called Mr. Robot which is interesting. I caught the twist pretty much from Day 1, but I don't think they were trying that hard to hide it. It's a good little show though, I'm enjoying it. We also got one called Humans from across the pond. Mostly summer TV in the States is awful.

The new season of The Americans doesn't air until the Spring 2016. We just wrapped up season 3. It's not doing well over here. I wish it was. TV would be better if there were more shows like this, and less Law & Order, and CSI's.

Stavros
08-21-2015, 11:21 AM
Season 3 of The Americans hasn't even started here yet, I didn't realise it was already over.

youngblood61
08-21-2015, 02:30 PM
I thought Humans was very good. It's been renewed for another season. I really like the BBC stuff, 3 Musketeers, Ripper Street, good stuff.:)

JenniferParisHusband
08-22-2015, 08:53 AM
Season 3 of The Americans hasn't even started here yet, I didn't realise it was already over.

Not that I'm advocating it, but if you are creative, you can find all of season 3 online. I will say that while it was still head and shoulders above most of the shows on TV, the third season was perhaps the weakest one. The girl that plays the daughter is getting older, and they're having some trouble figuring out what to do with her. They also got backed into a corner with Nina being shipped off to prison. I think she was going to another TV show, but then they decided to keep her around. Plus, she doesn't get naked and show off that great little ass of hers.

I thought Humans was very good. It's been renewed for another season. I really like the BBC stuff, 3 Musketeers, Ripper Street, good stuff.:)

I usually like the BBC America programming, but it's been weak as of late, at least to me. I never got into Ripper Street or 3 Musketeers. But, there's a new series of Luther coming this fall. If you didn't see it before, you can find the first three series of it online. There's also a new mini-series called London Spy that has Ben Wishaw in it. He's been pretty good in everything I've seen of his on the beeb. I have high hopes for this one.

youngblood61
08-23-2015, 05:56 AM
Watched a few episodes of Luther but couldn't get into it. Love the theme song tho, London Spy sounds intriguing.

Stavros
08-31-2015, 04:22 PM
Not that I'm advocating it, but if you are creative, you can find all of season 3 online. I will say that while it was still head and shoulders above most of the shows on TV, the third season was perhaps the weakest one. The girl that plays the daughter is getting older, and they're having some trouble figuring out what to do with her. They also got backed into a corner with Nina being shipped off to prison. I think she was going to another TV show, but then they decided to keep her around. Plus, she doesn't get naked and show off that great little ass of hers.

-I don't know why but Season 3 of The Americans, which begins its run in the UK this week, has been relegated to a graveyard channel called ITV Encore which presumably can only be accessed if you have a flying saucer wedged into the roof. I don't know why unless there is a feeling Season 3 shows terminal decline. Not all of these drama series make it past 1 and 2, Orphan Black is one example of something that could go on forever, to nobody's advantage, but given that garbage like House of Cards is into series 3 or 4 or who cares which, one wonders who makes these decisions.

JenniferParisHusband
08-31-2015, 11:22 PM
-I don't know why but Season 3 of The Americans, which begins its run in the UK this week, has been relegated to a graveyard channel called ITV Encore which presumably can only be accessed if you have a flying saucer wedged into the roof. I don't know why unless there is a feeling Season 3 shows terminal decline. Not all of these drama series make it past 1 and 2, Orphan Black is one example of something that could go on forever, to nobody's advantage, but given that garbage like House of Cards is into series 3 or 4 or who cares which, one wonders who makes these decisions.

I have such a soft spot for Orphan Black.... It's strange, same girl, but I have a favorite, and one I think is sexier than the rest. And it's the same girl. She's pretty talented as an actress. But I think that show is starting to run out of story. It could go on forever, would kind of like to see it go out on a high note.

sukumvit boy
09-01-2015, 02:35 AM
873270Sherlock BBC
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherlock_(TV_series)

youngblood61
09-01-2015, 02:47 AM
From what I have been reading FTWD is doing very well. I think the 6 episodes was to test the waters and see fan response. I think it will be back.

Stavros
09-01-2015, 11:39 AM
No idea what FTWD is. I bought seasons 1 and 2 of The Following yesterday and am half-way through season 1. I can't decide if I like it or not. At times it is plain daft -I doubt a mass murderer would be allowed direct access to visitors in prison-, at other times it rings true of the internal dynamics that can take hold of people in a cult. The hand-held camera shots are irritating. I don't think it was shown on UK tv unless it was on one of those satellite channels.

youngblood61
09-01-2015, 02:00 PM
Fear The Walking Dead. FTWD

svin_renigoth
09-01-2015, 04:59 PM
I'm excited for the Mr. Robot season finale tomorrow (postponed from last week). I love this show. It's an obvious homage to Fight Club, minus the fighting, and there's a bit of American Psycho sprinkled in, as well.
I'm also following FearTWD and I'm looking forward to Fargo season 2.

maxpower
09-01-2015, 05:49 PM
Season 1 of Fargo just appeared on Hulu. I'm like 6 episodes in and I'm really enjoying it. I like how they tie it in with the movie by showing the fate of the money that Steve Buscemi buried in the snow. I'm looking forward to new seasons of Arrow, The Flash, Backstrom, The Blacklist, The Last Man on Earth...and probably a few more that I can't think of at the moment.

Stavros
09-05-2015, 07:04 AM
I have spent the last few days watching the first two seasons of The Following, a show which went into a third season before being cancelled this year and which has attracted a good deal of negative comment. It took me a while to get into it, but I never could believe much of it and although it is one of those programmes in which a suspension of belief is essential, that applies to most tv series these days -in fact I can't think of any that bear much comparison to life as it is lived, let alone the way the police and the FBI or for that matter the CIA and MI5/MI6 actually work.

There was a mix of good acting and bad acting, some good writing and some so bad it was risible -how many times in season 2 does Max ask Weston Are you okay? as if there was nothing else to say. I am aware that in the real world there are serial killer groupies, I am not sure why serial killing like paedophile crime (sometimes together) risks becoming the staple 'evil' in cop shows unless it is because they involve repetitive events to justify 30 episodes of tv. Moreover, I was unable to make sense of the violence unless I matched it to the stereotype of the crazed Islamic fanatic who kills people in plain sight and doesn't care if he or she gets killed as a result. It also had the obsession (in fact a cop out, excusing the pun) with death as a route to a better life, although this is also common in Catholic doctrine and plays a key role in Graham Greene's study of the criminal Pinky in Brighton Rock. It does have some splendidly creepy characters, mostly played by English actors, but in the end this went on far too long and crossed too many boundaries of credibility, yet it was watchable for all that, and unlike some I do like Kevin Bacon, be it in 1 or 6 degrees of empathy.

tao1kiku
09-05-2015, 07:28 PM
Waiting for Penny Dreadful, Sherlock and Doctor Who to start up again!

Stavros
12-18-2016, 09:34 AM
I spent most of Saturday watching The Night Of...an HBO show that aired in the US earlier this year. It is derived from a BBC series Criminal Justice which I had not heard of, and gets off to a good start with impressive credits and an opening episode in which a young man through a sequence of unexpected events finds himself standing next to a murdered woman. This should set up a drama with much more tension and twists and turns in the plot than it did, even though it does have an experienced but sloppy detective and a prosecuting attorney who when presented with the possibility that someone else might have been the murderer sticks with the accused they have. And again it does a good job of showing how incarceration badly affects the accused, but in the end I wasn't that bothered, and found the sub-plot around the health of defending lawyer played by John Turturro irritating. The woman playing the prosecuting attorney was poor and there was a lack of depth in the other characters, so in the end this was disappointing. The box set goes to the charity shop. I give it 6/10.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2401256/?ref_=nv_sr_1

BatMasterson
12-18-2016, 12:53 PM
I finally finished watching the second season of Marco Polo. Loved it.

However, as much I was into From Dusk 'Til Dawn during the first two seasons, the third isn't doing it for me.

Ever vigilant for True Detective Season 3. Just read that the writers have been told to start figuring out various possibilities, so there is a start.

bi-smooth
12-18-2016, 01:18 PM
the man in the high castle.

Stavros
11-28-2017, 07:08 AM
I have just caught up with the 2011 first season of The Bridge which was one of the first 'scandi noir' tv series that has encouraged a lot -probably too many- more. I persevered with it even though I thought the script and the acting was poor, and the plot predictable and without interest. I didn't care about the people involved and often did not know if the action was taking place in Sweden or Denmark, but I will concede that in architectural and engineering terms, that is a mighty fine bridge.

BatMasterson
11-28-2017, 11:37 AM
Shut Eye

BlüeKarma
11-28-2017, 01:54 PM
Lucifer
Peaky Blinders
SW Rebels
Travelers
The Blacklist
Dirk Gently
Shameless
Doctor Who
Longmire
Game of Thrones

trish
11-28-2017, 04:58 PM
Major Crimes
Dirk Gently
Orville
The Good Place

Murmdrum
11-28-2017, 05:06 PM
Ozark....Longmire...walking Dead

blueeyeboy
11-28-2017, 09:02 PM
Godless is canny good

slave2u
11-29-2017, 03:54 AM
z nation
wynnoa earp
lucifer
st: discovery

Stavros
06-10-2018, 03:52 PM
I have been able to watch the final, Season 6 of The Americans, which I rank alongside The Wire as the finest TV drama produced in the USA (I am not sure where in this context one puts Game of Thrones -is it American?)

The Americans has had a peculiar tv history in the UK. Seasons 1 and 2 were broadcast on the terrestrial channel ITV, but Seasons 3-5 were relegated to an online channel called ITV Encore that was inaccessible to me and most viewers. When the final season began it was broadcast on ITV 4 at 10pm on Wednesday for the first half, then pushed back to Midnight. In addition, whereas Seasons 1 and 2 appeared as DVD box sets, Season 3 only became available in the UK in 2017, and none of the other Seasons are available on DVD, certainly not in the UK. Homeland, by contrast, has retained its peak time slot at 9pm on Channel 4.

I don't know why The Americans has been treated so badly, possibly because of the ratings? And yet, even with some of the drama-only, rather than real history moments, it is rare that so much care was taken to give depth to character with regard to both the Jennings family and the FBI trying to find the sleepers. In particular, the use of Russian actors speaking in Russian with English sub-titles gave tremendous authenticity to the kind of drama that even in the 1990s would have had an American with a phony Russian accent standing in for the real thing.

This was a Cold War drama that was based on the real life experiences of Directorate S that sent undercover agent to live in the US to spy and sabotage. The development of character enabled us to see how living in the US 'turned' Philip to warm to life in the US where his wife Elizabeth never did, while their recruitment of their daughter presents perhaps the most tragic case, as at the end having abandoned her parents and unsure of her fate, even her identity, she downs a glass of vodka in a lonely apartment.

Keri Russell has been sensational throughout these 6 seasons, and though she has made some duff films (Planet of the Apes vol 76 or whichever one it is) and was briefly in the second Mission:Impossible, one hopes her talents will now be used to the good. Much as I like Carrie Mathieson, Russell to me has been a fine example of a strong female lead character defining a drama in the absence of the others in US drama series. The last episode in the season was brilliantly done. And again, ignored by the UK media. Such a shame for such a fine show we cannot do in the UK (even the title sequence is superior to anything found on UK tv). Bravo, America. Now give me those box sets so I can watch it all again!

Ben in LA
06-11-2018, 12:07 AM
Power
Billions
I need to catch up on Empire and Star
House Hunters (The whole franchise)

trish
06-11-2018, 12:56 AM
Westworld,
The Expanse.
That's pretty much all I've been watching this summer.

josehip
06-11-2018, 01:33 AM
shows I watch on tv right now
westworld
pose
supergirl

shows I like to watch in between seasons right now:
twin peaks the return
mosaic
the deuce
big mouth
star trek discovery
veep
grown-ish
jessica jones
atlanta
the good place
master of none
dear white people

shows I don't really care but I watch just to kill time (also in between seasons):
kimmy schimidt
luke cage
daredevil
modern family
stranger things

shows that I want to watch
queen sugar
the chi
the expanse
killing eve
the good fight
angie tribeca

and FINALLY shows that I watched and for some reason I stopped watching and I plan to return to watch it:
THE AMERICANS
legion
broadchurch
fleabag

MrFanti
06-11-2018, 01:34 AM
Since I don't really have much free time just one: Jessica Jones

Cuchulain
06-11-2018, 02:00 AM
Waiting for the 2nd season of Goliath to drop on Amazon (6/15) and luke cage on Netflix (6/22). Going to binge Westworld 2 on Hbo and Glitch 2 on Netflix. Finished Altered Carbon on Netflix. Was pretty good.

pantybulge69
06-11-2018, 03:32 AM
" POSE "on FX channel . new transgender TV series. Every sunday night.

pantybulge69
06-11-2018, 03:48 AM
cloak& dagger
Pose
queen of the south
Into the Badlands
luke cage
iron fist
defenders
jessica jones
midnight texas
stranger things
atlanta
Flash
daredevil
Van Helsing
the Punisher
American Horror Story
7 seconds
A series of unfortunate events
Hemlock Grove
Snowfall
Lost in Space
dear white people
Troy- Fall of a city
roxanne roxanne

normally watch empire and star when premiered.

bryanferryfan2
06-11-2018, 05:55 AM
Supergirl
Cloak and Dagger
Fear the Walking Dead
Talking Dead
Luke Cage
Riverdale
Iron Fist
Dynasty
Lost in Space
Real Time w Bill Maher

youngblood61
06-11-2018, 02:00 PM
Billions, Fear The Walking Dead, Empire, Star, Gotham. Can't wait for Power to return.

Stavros
09-12-2018, 08:39 PM
Absorbed by Jed Mercurio's BBC drama Bodyguard. It has occasioned much comment in the press as it is a compelling drama about the Police, the Security Services, terrorism -and an ex-military bodyguard with PTSD - bodyguard to the ambitious Home Secretary who...well that would be telling.

todd222
09-12-2018, 11:50 PM
Spent the summer watching the whole set of Marvel series on Netflix. Also Goliath on Amazon prime is worth checking out.

vivid
09-13-2018, 06:31 AM
Only one show at the moment: Better Call Saul

trouty
09-13-2018, 11:05 PM
The NCU series are all amazing I'm currently watching Jessica Jones season 2, also got new iron fist to watch, but The Punisher series is in a class of it own.

buttslinger
06-08-2019, 09:06 PM
I just watched the 5 episodes of "CHERNOBYL" on HBO.
very good

Stavros
06-09-2019, 02:19 AM
I am with Buttslinger on this-
Chernobyl -one of the best drama series I have ever seen. I also watched all five episodes one after the other. It has a 9.7 rating on imdb. It should be 10.

pantybulge69
06-11-2019, 03:29 AM
;
Castlevania ( netflix vampire animation series)

One punch Man (netflix)

Pose (FX)

Stavros
09-15-2019, 07:02 PM
Not having seen it when it was being aired, I am watching Breaking Bad. I am not impressed so far, there are enough plot holes to fill a cemetary, but in addition I am struggling to identify with the main character and the, so-far, cartoon Latino gangsters and the pregnant wife whose visible signs of being pregnant are unusual to say the least. I assume the chemistry is correct, but that hardly makes up for the lack of interest. I am about to start season 2, and I can't work out how it evolves into five, though I think I can predict some of the plot developments.
I quite like Bryan Cranston as an actor, and he comes across as quite a nice guy on chat shows, but that is about it. Should I persevere?

Stavros
10-09-2019, 07:42 PM
I persevered and finished Season 5 in the early hours of the morning. Binge tv has its drawbacks!
For me the replacement of Mexican Cartels with local 'white boys' as the main distributors of crystal meth does not ring true. Though I assume the Cartels don't run all of the trade north of the border, Fring's elimination of one rival and his own demise would surely leave that part of the US wide open to another Cartel? The capo di capo did not seem to notice the seal on that exclusive bottle of Tequila was broken before he poured it.
I am still not sure why Andrea was shot, but also don't know why WW decided Brock was worthy of 'an experiment'.
What stands out is the Resentment, and how the mistake WW made when he opted out of Grey Matter has gnawed away at him, notably his deeply embittered attack on his own wife. For a man who has so little sex and, it seems, no interest in other women -and the kind of women his money can buy would be on a different level, physically to Skyler, a weak character in the drama (I usually fast forwarded her scenes)- the absence of sex in this series is quite strange. And while I appreciate 'the journey' that Pinkman makes, he brings it on himself, in the end I didn't care, and the last shot of him in the car echoes the end of David Lynch's Lost Highway, just as there is a visual connection between the last shot of WW and the 'death' of Jon Snow in Game of Thrones.

I watched The Wire over Christmas and New Year some years ago, and repeated it the following Christmas and New Year. I have seen seasons The Americans more than once, ditto Game of Thrones. I will not watch any episode of Breaking Bad again, it is not worth the effort to do so.

Back to work on a stack of DVDs...

Cuchulain
10-09-2019, 10:07 PM
Spent the summer watching the whole set of Marvel series on Netflix. Also Goliath on Amazon prime is worth checking out.

Really enjoyed the first 2 seasons on Goliath but the third season seems ...off the rails. What did you think of it?

broncofan
10-10-2019, 12:45 AM
Really enjoyed the first 2 seasons on Goliath but the third season seems ...off the rails. What did you think of it?
It's funny you mention that. I watched the first two seasons. I liked the first season and thought the second season was off the rails. Not sure if I'm going to watch season 3.

Beast-Mode
10-10-2019, 01:16 AM
Most TV shows are crap. They start off good and steadily get worse over time. So rare to see a show that starts good and stays good until the end. Having said that I'm currently checking out Goliath and Bosch. The first seasons have been excellent. We'll see if the quality holds up.

I would like to call out all the women out there for not supporting Agent Carter. A really good show that had 2 strong seasons. But not enough people tuned in so it got axed. Come on ladies, you're screaming for more strong female leads and here you had one with some good quality writing and you're nowhere to be found. Shame on you!

holzz
10-10-2019, 02:49 PM
Vikings.
The Last Kingdom

HbgDon
10-20-2019, 02:12 AM
Currently watching:
Batwoman
The Flash
Arrow
Legends of Tomorrow
DC's Titans
DC's Doom Patrol
The Ranch
American Horror Story 1984
Creepshow
Big Mouth

trish
10-21-2019, 12:23 AM

It's funny you mention that. I watched the first two seasons. I liked the first season and thought the second season was off the rails. Not sure if I'm going to watch season 3.
Started watching the third season. When I heard "I Just Dropped In To See What Condition My Condition Was In" playing in the background, I thought it was a reference to The Big Lebowski. Besides the music there was something psychedelic about the scene. In later episodes I thought I caught references to various psychedelic scenes from David Lynch's Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive. I didn't think it was going off the rails but I did think that these episodes weren't anything like what I saw in the previous two seasons. Now that I'm a lot further into the season I think I there's going to be a 'reasonable' explanation for these somewhat bizarre scenes.

broncofan
10-22-2019, 03:41 AM
Started watching the third season. When I heard "I Just Dropped In To See What Condition My Condition Was In" playing in the background, I thought it was a reference to The Big Lebowski. Besides the music there was something psychedelic about the scene. In later episodes I thought I caught references to various psychedelic scenes from David Lynch's Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive. I didn't think it was going off the rails but I did think that these episodes weren't anything like what I saw in the previous two seasons. Now that I'm a lot further into the season I think I there's going to be a 'reasonable' explanation for these somewhat bizarre scenes.
Maybe I had an uncomfortable reaction to all of the dismemberment in the second season. I still watched it with interest but came away feeling uneasy about it. Will look at the third season at some point but still haven't yet.

I've watched two episodes of the show Succession, which a lot of people have recommended to me. It's a show about a super rich media family similar to the Murdochs. The show begins with the patriarch of the family suffering a stroke and the family members fighting over control of his empire. It's supposed to depict a second generation of privileged children who are kind of lost, morally repulsive as well as irresponsible, incompetent, and entitled. You see shades of the Trump family in there as well. It makes for good satire though it's hard to enjoy a series where you don't like any of the characters that much. Yet I'm enjoying it.

I've also watched the first two seasons of the show Mindhunter, which is about the origin of FBI criminal profiling. It's kept me engaged but only that. The subject matter is interesting, but the characters are a bit predictable...

broncofan
10-22-2019, 03:53 AM
Forgot to mention I binge watched season 7 of Veep. I thought it was the best season though over the top. It was very funny...

Stavros
05-12-2020, 07:12 PM
DEVS (created by Alex Garland, on the BBC iPlayer in the UK)

Assuming nothing can be as bad as Ex Machina, I began watching this, and quite by accident tuned in to the last episode, which ought to be hilarious given some of the 'drama's' ideas. I realized what had happened and scrolled down to see the previous episodes and thus reverted to the 'beginning of time'.
If you are interested in industrial espionage, free will-vs- determinism and the idea that in the future we may die physically but have the option -or it may be determined- to be uploaded into a computer for a simulated and eternal life, this relentlessly dreary if visually fascinating flop may engage your attention. A pity it did not engage the interest of the actors notably the two leads, not so much Adam and Eve as Eve and Dave, both of whom render their lines with such complete indifference one can only assume they had seen the future, and concluded- why make the effort?
Your choice. 3/10 for effort; 1/10 for its pseudo-scientific premise.

AsianBabe_
05-17-2020, 01:55 PM
The Wire

ed_jaxon
05-18-2020, 01:35 AM
The Last Dance.

Eponymous Lee
05-18-2020, 04:08 AM
Stavros: .... I will not watch any episode of Breaking Bad again, it is not worth the effort to do so.

Agree wholeheartedly ….the writers decided to descend the show into a sadomasochistic exercise when they ran out of ideas for a decent story line. I probably broke away from Breaking Bad a lot sooner than most people.

Currently trying to catch up with the science/space operas that I missed due to work or travel . 3rd Rock from the Sun , Reimaged Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek Voyager and Star Trek Next Generation with the exception of Star Trek Enterprise . Way too dark and a cramped gray setting. Also just tired of seeing yet another Scott Bakula project. My prejudice = my loss I guess....

bryanferryfan2
05-18-2020, 04:57 PM
I'm watching Upload on Amazon prime.

Stavros
08-12-2020, 10:04 AM
The BBC is showing again all five series of its Corrupt Cop drama series, Line of Duty. Quite by coincidence, I bought all five on DVD the week before, and have now watched all five series back to back. Although it is one of the best crime dramas we have seen in the UK, there are lots of holes in plots, while the ability of DS Steve Arnott to survive a couple of incidences of being beaten up, and thrown a couple of floors down over a flight of stairs and return to work not long after, is of extreme interest to medical science. The strength of the series is in the scripts, the tactic of filming interviews quite unlike, and much longer than conventional interviews, and in the 'sudden death' syndrome whe characters you expect to be around for some time, are suddenly removed from the scene.

Recommended, and no, I don't know who 'H' is, or if, as implied in Series 5, 'H' is even the key to the mystery -is organized crime embedded in the Police Service? What a question!

Stavros
01-09-2021, 01:18 PM
Extant (Mickey Fisher) Season One 2014

I bought this in my local independent CVD/CD/ Vinyl store, and managed to get through the first DVD. The thought of watching the rest did not appeal to me. More extinct, than Extant. This box is headed for the charity shop or the Entertainment Store where I can at least get a couple of quid for it.

Torris
01-09-2021, 03:49 PM
The Vow - 10 part series on the NXIVM cult
Big Sky - human trafficking in Montana (where I grew up.)
Your Honor - New Orleans hit and run drama involving a mob subplot along with Brian Cranston as the Judge
Ghost II - sequel to Power. Son of NYC drug dealer’s life in college dealing coke and running from his past

njjohn
01-09-2021, 06:04 PM
The Queen's Gambit on Netflix... outstanding!

sukumvit boy
01-09-2021, 08:23 PM
Yes,very well done miniseries! Are you a chess player?

Stavros
01-09-2021, 10:18 PM
The Expanse, Season 1, 2016

Having heard good things about this show I purchased the box set of Season One on Blu-Ray, and am now more concerned with the expense. Great production values, but a tedious seen-it-all-before drama with characters with the interest of a loo-roll and the acting ability of a bar of soap. No matter how far into the future we might go, we seem to take all our past problems with us, and for a show so modern, there was a distinct lack of AI, and no thought as to how the future might look outside the technology -as usual, overcrowded rather than de-populated; a spead of ages rather than, say, a concentration of elderly or young people. The dialogue needs subtitles because on Ceres the people speak a mix of English and a South African sounding patois -why? Worst of all, even by the last episode I was still confused at who some of the characters were, but since I really didn't care, I can't be bothered to explore this further.

MrFanti
01-09-2021, 10:45 PM
The Expanse, Season 1, 2016

Having heard good things about this show I purchased the box set of Season One on Blu-Ray, and am now more concerned with the expense. Great production values, but a tedious seen-it-all-before drama with characters with the interest of a loo-roll and the acting ability of a bar of soap. No matter how far into the future we might go, we seem to take all our past problems with us, and for a show so modern, there was a distinct lack of AI, and no thought as to how the future might look outside the technology -as usual, overcrowded rather than de-populated; a spead of ages rather than, say, a concentration of elderly or young people. The dialogue needs subtitles because on Ceres the people speak a mix of English and a South African sounding patois -why? Worst of all, even by the last episode I was still confused at who some of the characters were, but since I really didn't care, I can't be bothered to explore this further.

I think it's an excellent series and I'm very glad that Amazon saved it from oblivion...

njjohn
01-10-2021, 04:30 PM
Yes,very well done miniseries! Are you a chess player?

I played my brother's PhD wive recently after not playing for 35yrs and beat her, much to her surprise. So yes and no.

Stavros
01-10-2021, 09:38 PM
I think it's an excellent series and I'm very glad that Amazon saved it from oblivion...

I wanted to like it, and the visuals are splendid. But the Martians made a brief appearance before being obliterated, and the scenes on Earth were often confusing. The Iranian woman goes to see a man, who is he? His husband, son, brother or friend -we are never told- has died -we don't know how- and she walks off with three pencils. Most of the time she has conversations with other senior members of the UN in corridors -most of her contribution to me was incoherent and often unintelligible and, anyway, who thinks the UN will last another 200 years? I get the Belt as a scene of exploitation and revolt, but what was the patois for, and why did so many Belters speak with a South African accent? In the end I just didn't get it.

MrFanti
01-10-2021, 09:44 PM
. But the Martians made a brief appearance before being obliterated, .
Oh they're still around....

holzz
01-18-2021, 11:46 AM
Vikings ended..

Looking forward to the Last Kingdom and the Crown to come back

Stavros
02-12-2021, 04:36 PM
I read reviews of Ramy which made it sound interesting, and when it appeared on UK tv I got to episode 4 before deciding it is not interesting at all.

Cuchulain
02-12-2021, 11:18 PM
Warrior on HboMax. Bruce Lee had the idea before he passed. Cinemax finally turned it into a pretty good show.

decastro
02-13-2021, 01:11 AM
Vikings ended..

Looking forward to the Last Kingdom and the Crown to come back

Ah Vikings. i hate to sound like a hipster but the quality of that show deteriorated in direct proportion to its popularity.

njjohn
02-13-2021, 09:00 PM
Tried watching "Dark" on Netflix which is a German production overdubbed in English. There is a scene involving a Transgender prostitute in Season 1 episode 2 or 3. I stopped watching after episode 4 due to the awkward English overdubbing and pacing.

Abartig
02-13-2021, 09:28 PM
Ah Vikings. i hate to sound like a hipster but the quality of that show deteriorated in direct proportion to its popularity.

Move over to Norsemen instead :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpMvIZRUPf4

dc_guy_75
02-14-2021, 12:01 PM
'Gommorah' on HBO is simply fantastic. Its about to Mafia in Naples Italy. Reminds me of 'The Wire' and 'The Sopranos', but the mobsters are much more vicious. The New York Times gives it fantastic reviews. Its dubbed into English well.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/aq_0qJoUzvU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

BlüeKarma
02-14-2021, 01:26 PM
Resident Alien, one of the best shows on TV right now imo.
The Watch, not the best version of the Terry Pratchett's characters, but good enough for me.
The Blacklist, this one is winding down but I'm still on the edge of my seat every time.
Wayne, kind of quirky and funny in a dark way, maybe tries too hard to be edgy idk.
Angel, it's funny that I have watched all of Buffy but never seen Angel.

Caprizio2049
02-14-2021, 07:12 PM
Sanford & Son
YOU BIG DUMMY

Stavros
02-14-2021, 09:59 PM
Sanford & Son
YOU BIG DUMMY

I had not heard of this programme, and when I googled it I discovered it to be an American version of the London-based comedy Steptoe & Son, but I can't for the life of me imagine how this transferred to the US. S&S was a big hit in the UK in the 1960s -and I am old enough to remember when a 'Rag and Bone' man with a horse and cart did his rounds where I grew up- so these people were very real at the time. But it was a very strange programme - a comedy about two men living together, one of whom is crotchety and crude, the other convinced he can do better and is, or should be, a magnet to women. Men with unfulfilled sexual and romantic lives are fairly common in English comedy, even when there is no hint of bi-or homosexuality, just a profound inadequacy which merges with their daily lives, and as I write this, I now realize the Irish comedy, Father Ted, has similar themes, with the added kick it being about Catholic priests in rural Ireland. But is Sanford and Sons also vulgar, as was Steptoe & Son?

sukumvit boy
02-15-2021, 11:14 PM
Sanford and Son was definitely wholesome Family Television . With a black family.1972-1977
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanford_and_Son

Abartig
02-16-2021, 12:23 AM
Def one of the best musical only TV theme songs - Fred, Lamont, Grady & Aunt Esther were great on that show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsE9aglVu4U

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsE9aglVu4U)

Stavros
02-16-2021, 12:21 PM
A new series of documenaries by Adam Curtis -Can't Get You Out of My Head- is now showing on the BBC iPlayer. I have not seen it, but last night watched the four-part series, The Mayfair Set, first shown on the BBC in 1999, and now on YouTube. It tells the story of the founder of the SAS, David Stirling, and the men he associated with at the Clermont Club in Mayfair -the asset strippers Jim Slater, James Goldsmith and 'Tiny' Rowland. It shows how these men broke into the ossified corporations and the safe but moribund City of London Stock Exchange to make share-owning appealing to individuals. They did it by identifyng corporations or companies that had failed to modernize, were over-staffed and under-performing. They bought shares, took control of the company, then stripped it of its worst assets, or more commonly, the expensive component known as wages, then reaped the profits as the share price soared. In the end, it was share dealing that became 'market activity' but was not in concrete terms, a business that created jobs, indeed, the only new business that was formed was the brokerage firms that were only concerned with shares- at the same time as this was happening, for example, Shell and BP created a new petroleum business in the North Sea that not only returned handsome profits to its shareholders, but created jobs and new assets, and just as Slater, Goldsmith and Rowland took their pirate business into the US and Africa, so in time, the Pension Funds they manipulated took back control of their assets and in time, Slater went bankrupt, and Goldsmith a little bit mad. It was an episode of some importance in the context of Reagan and Thatcher as Curtis argues it marked the moment when Governments lost control of theire economies. But as the section on Michael Milken and Ivan Boesky shows, it was often illegal too so that in time, the 'Corporate' giants took back control of the market. Four fascinating films -the first film on Stirling is weakest, and fails to take the story of the first war in the Yemen beyond 1965 when it can be argued the gains Saudi Arabia made were lost. It also fails to put neo-Liberalism and market economics into a broader context by referring back to people such as Hayek and von Mises and the Mont Pelerin Society. It never mentions the UK entering the Common Market/EEC, and places more emphasis on the Thatcher Government lifting Exchange Controls rather than mentioning the Big Bang as an additional factor in the creation of more liberal global markets.

But a compelling set of films of its time, with a comical entry at the end by Mohammed Fayed, and earlier, a reminder with regard to Milken, Drexel Burnham and Ivan Boesky, that Rudolph Giuliani Jr used to be a crusading lawyer.

The first film is here, the next three in the YouTube sidebar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mayfair_Set
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/p093wp6h/cant-get-you-out-of-my-head

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtgEXlWDpuY

bruce_willy
02-16-2021, 02:45 PM
I just finished watching the last episode of Your Honor.

What a load of crap.

sukumvit boy
02-16-2021, 06:14 PM
Gomorrah looks good,but I hate the bother of the English subtitles'

sukumvit boy
02-16-2021, 06:20 PM
A new series of documenaries by Adam Curtis -Can't Get You Out of My Head- is now showing on the BBC iPlayer. I have not seen it, but last night watched the four-part series, The Mayfair Set, first shown on the BBC in 1999, and now on YouTube. It tells the story of the founder of the SAS, David Stirling, and the men he associated with at the Clermont Club in Mayfair -the asset strippers Jim Slater, James Goldsmith and 'Tiny' Rowland. It shows how these men broke into the ossified corporations and the safe but moribund City of London Stock Exchange to make share-owning appealing to individuals. They did it by identifyng corporations or companies that had failed to modernize, were over-staffed and under-performing. They bought shares, took control of the company, then stripped it of its worst assets, or more commonly, the expensive component known as wages, then reaped the profits as the share price soared. In the end, it was share dealing that became 'market activity' but was not in concrete terms, a business that created jobs, indeed, the only new business that was formed was the brokerage firms that were only concerned with shares- at the same time as this was happening, for example, Shell and BP created a new petroleum business in the North Sea that not only returned handsome profits to its shareholders, but created jobs and new assets, and just as Slater, Goldsmith and Rowland took their pirate business into the US and Africa, so in time, the Pension Funds they manipulated took back control of their assets and in time, Slater went bankrupt, and Goldsmith a little bit mad. It was an episode of some importance in the context of Reagan and Thatcher as Curtis argues it marked the moment when Governments lost control of theire economies. But as the section on Michael Milken and Ivan Boesky shows, it was often illegal too so that in time, the 'Corporate' giants took back control of the market. Four fascinating films -the first film on Stirling is weakest, and fails to take the story of the first war in the Yemen beyond 1965 when it can be argued the gains Saudi Arabia made were lost. It also fails to put neo-Liberalism and market economics into a broader context by referring back to people such as Hayek and von Mises and the Mont Pelerin Society. It never mentions the UK entering the Common Market/EEC, and places more emphasis on the Thatcher Government lifting Exchange Controls rather than mentioning the Big Bang as an additional factor in the creation of more liberal global markets.

But a compelling set of films of its time, with a comical entry at the end by Mohammed Fayed, and earlier, a reminder with regard to Milken, Drexel Burnham and Ivan Boesky, that Rudolph Giuliani Jr used to be a crusading lawyer.

The first film is here, the next three in the YouTube sidebar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mayfair_Set
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/p093wp6h/cant-get-you-out-of-my-head

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtgEXlWDpuY

Looks interesting. I came to know a group of retired and active SAS expats beginning in 1999 that hung out at the Nana Hotel in Bangkok. They had many tails to tell about David Stirling.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Stirling

bryanferryfan2
02-17-2021, 02:13 AM
I'm watching Riverdale, Black Lightning, Nancy Drew, Charmed, Batwoman, Altered Carbon Season 2, Star Trek Discovery, Snowpiercer

Dudedude12345
02-17-2021, 07:32 AM
The Stand

M-O-O-N

Stavros
02-17-2021, 08:29 AM
'Gommorah' on HBO is simply fantastic. Its about to Mafia in Naples Italy. Reminds me of 'The Wire' and 'The Sopranos', but the mobsters are much more vicious. The New York Times gives it fantastic reviews. Its dubbed into English well.

The 2008 film which is the basis of the tv series, is brutal but compelling.

Stavros
02-17-2021, 08:36 AM
Looks interesting. I came to know a group of retired and active SAS expats beginning in 1999 that hung out at the Nana Hotel in Bangkok. They had many tails to tell about David Stirling.

The closest I came to people like that was on a uiversty course which included a Marine who had been involved in the Dhofar rebellion in Oman. The SAS were involved there, but ultimately the success of the war was down to troops that were sent there from Jordan and Iran. The SAS loves to wrap itself in myths, helped by the cult of anonymity they insist upon, but they are just a unit of 007's except that instead of saving the world from mad dictators are more likely to prop one up if he or she emerged in the UK (as is alleged of a plot to overthrow the govt of Harold Wilson), and are good for sabotage actions -wars are not won by acts of sabotage alone. According to the record, Stirling was 6 foot 6.

holzz
02-17-2021, 10:35 PM
https://www.tvinsider.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/star-trek-discovery-captain-michael-burnham.jpg

Stavros
02-18-2021, 04:52 AM
https://www.tvinsider.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/star-trek-discovery-captain-michael-burnham.jpg

And this is what? Dr Who? Does anyone here watch such crap?

Torris
02-19-2021, 03:11 AM
I just finished watching the last episode of Your Honor.

What a load of crap.

Agreed. The whole premise was full of deus ex machina red herring plot twists that make you suspend all disbelief

decastro
02-28-2021, 05:13 AM
Tried watching "Dark" on Netflix which is a German production overdubbed in English. There is a scene involving a Transgender prostitute in Season 1 episode 2 or 3. I stopped watching after episode 4 due to the awkward English overdubbing and pacing.

That show is truly and utterly insane. Probably the last good mindfuck I had since the OA. The subtitles for me weren't a problem, maybe I watched a better subbed version, I dont have netflix.

On another note i've been watching Attack on Titan, i don't know if ppl on here are into anime.

njjohn
02-28-2021, 03:51 PM
That show is truly and utterly insane. Probably the last good mindfuck I had since the OA. The subtitles for me weren't a problem, maybe I watched a better subbed version, I dont have netflix.

On another note i've been watching Attack on Titan, i don't know if ppl on here are into anime.

On Netflix the dialog audio was overdubbed in English not subtitled. I think I would have preferred subtitles.

Torris
03-06-2021, 04:19 AM
Farrow v. Allen. Woody Allen king of the groomers.

Stavros
03-06-2021, 11:04 AM
Farrow v. Allen. Woody Allen king of the groomers.

No fan of Allen, but Mia Farrow as a mother begs many questions, and anyway, why has Allen never been charged or found guity of anything -lack of evidence? For an alternative view, try this-

"HBO Doc About Woody Allen & Mia Farrow Ignores Mia’s 3 Dead Kids, Her Child Molester Brother, Other Family Tragedies” was the headline (https://www.showbiz411.com/2021/02/17/hbo-doc-about-woody-allen-mia-farrow-ignores-mias-3-dead-kids-her-child-molester-brother-other-family-tragedies) on one US showbiz site, above its review of the four-part documentary, Allen v Farrow, about the continuing battle between Woody Allen and Mia Farrow, now entering its fourth decade. But this review was very much an outlier. In the vast main, reaction to the strongly anti-Allen series has been overwhelmingly positive, with Buzzfeed describing it as a “nuanced reckoning” (https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/alessadominguez/woody-allen-hbo-documentary-review-mia-farrow-dylan) and Entertainment Weekly comparing it to the recent documentaries about Michael Jackson and Jeffrey Epstein (https://ew.com/tv/tv-reviews/allen-v-farrow-review-hbo-documentary/). This reaction is more of a reflection of the public’s feelings towards Allen – particularly in the US – than of the documentary, which sets itself up as an investigation (https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/feb/21/allen-v-farrow-hbo-documentary-dylan-farrow-woody-allen) but much more resembles PR, as biased and partial as a political candidate’s advert vilifying an opponent in election season."
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/mar/03/allen-v-farrow-woody-allen-mia-farrow-documentary-is-pure-pr-why-else-would-it-omit-so-much

Stavros
03-06-2021, 11:09 AM
On BBC 1 I was disappointed in Bloodlines, a cop drama set in Northern Ireland with the Troubles as its backstory. Then the second episode 'took the lid off' as they say in drama circles, but I still find James Nesbitt overwrought.

On ITV, Unforgotten is now in its fourth, possibly last series, as another dead body from the past brings together four people with apparently different backgrounds who all have two things in common -their early careers and the dead body that turned up years later, much to their surprise and concern...this is a well-written series with the outstanding Nicola Walker, though by now it does have a formula, of the kind we await with keen anticipation the return of Line of Duty in a fortnights time.

broncofan
03-07-2021, 05:56 AM
Brooklyn 99- I am looking for better tv shows but this one helps me when I feel like shit so I've been binge watching it lately. If you don't want to pay attention to a plot line, want an easy laugh, and enjoy likeable characters, give it a shot.

Schitt's Creek- At first I had trouble getting into it but then I enjoyed it. I don't think I liked it as much as most people. May sound vague but it's lauded enough you can look up its premise.

Cobra Kai-A follow up on Karate Kid something like 30 plus years later. I watched the first two seasons. I think they've made a third but I haven't watched it. I was born in the 80s so Ralph Macchio and Karate Kid was fun when I was a kid. It's kind of a good premise if you're nostalgic for that era as it combines 80s nostalgia with soap opera-like drama. I don't think I really want to watch the third season.....get it a bodybag.....yeah.

Stavros
03-25-2021, 06:30 AM
The Circle, Channel 4 (UK).
https://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-circle

I watch this programme, even though I don't like any of the people on it. It is like snooping on the neighbours, but must be relevant to contemporary life as it could be a group of HungAngels posters marooned in an apartment block, able to communicate by text messaging, but never knowing if the person they are talking is real. The ultimate prize is £100,000 which goes to whoever survives through guile, cunning, maybe even personaity. I wonder what would happen if they had a transgendered person, or someone pretending to be transgendered?

Stavros
03-29-2021, 02:08 PM
Line of Duty (Jed Mercurio, BBC, Series 6, 2021)

I am a fan, and am not disappointed by the deceptively slow pace of the show so far. It has referred back to previous series through its characters and other links, which suggests to me this is going to be the last. There are some real life links too. In the links between corrupt officers and a paedophile ring in previous series (3), photoshopped images showed Jimmy Savile with one of LoD's former police officers. There was a reference last night to the as yet unsolved murder in 1987 of Private Investigator Daniel Morgan, who was found in the car park of a London pub with an axe sticking out of his head, while the focus in LoD on the murder of the journalist Gail Vella is linked to the real life murder of the Maltese journalist Daphne Caruana Galizia, whose maiden name was...Vella.

njjohn
03-30-2021, 04:11 PM
Outlander on Netflix - Believe it for not there's a scene of a new mother on horseback who says she's bursting. One assumes she needs to pee but then cuts to a scene of her milking her breasts into a cup. Never though I'd see that short of porn. In the first half of season 1. Episode 5 or so if memory serves.

Torris
04-01-2021, 02:43 PM
[QUOTE=Stavros;1960948]No fan of Allen, but Mia Farrow as a mother begs many questions, and anyway, why has Allen never been charged or found guity of anything -lack of evidence? For an alternative view, try this-

Allen’s celebrity and PR prowess was incredibly powerful. The DA’s in CT and NY refused to indict. In the New York case it was pure corruption to deny justice to Dylan Farrow on behalf of a favorite son of the Big Apple. The original NY investigator, who had won accommodations, was fired for insubordination when he spoke out on the cover up. That man’s supervisor quit in disgust over the politics of it all.

In CT the University psychologists who said Dylan was coached. Yet they destroyed their interview notes which other child psychologists who investigate these issues says NEVER happens.

In the end it took the #MeToo movement to settle the issue and now Allen has to release his movies overseas bc he is a pariah in America.

Torris
04-01-2021, 02:45 PM
City on a Hill featuring a coked up Bahston FBI agent, Kevin Bacon. Best role of his since JFK

Stavros
04-02-2021, 02:12 AM
[QUOTE=Stavros;1960948]No fan of Allen, but Mia Farrow as a mother begs many questions, and anyway, why has Allen never been charged or found guity of anything -lack of evidence? For an alternative view, try this-

Allen’s celebrity and PR prowess was incredibly powerful. The DA’s in CT and NY refused to indict. In the New York case it was pure corruption to deny justice to Dylan Farrow on behalf of a favorite son of the Big Apple. The original NY investigator, who had won accommodations, was fired for insubordination when he spoke out on the cover up. That man’s supervisor quit in disgust over the politics of it all.

In CT the University psychologists who said Dylan was coached. Yet they destroyed their interview notes which other child psychologists who investigate these issues says NEVER happens.

In the end it took the #MeToo movement to settle the issue and now Allen has to release his movies overseas bc he is a pariah in America.

I am not defending either in this case, but the evidence so far suggests nobody is immune, so your claim that Allen is or was somehow 'untouchable' does not ring true. If he was that way inclined, should there be more allegations, other than the question of the relatonship in the film Manhattan? And what does that prove, if anything? He has not been charged, or found guilty of a crime, those are the facts.

Torris
04-03-2021, 04:22 AM
[QUOTE=Torris;1963366]

I am not defending either in this case, but the evidence so far suggests nobody is immune, so your claim that Allen is or was somehow 'untouchable' does not ring true. If he was that way inclined, should there be more allegations, other than the question of the relatonship in the film Manhattan? And what does that prove, if anything? He has not been charged, or found guilty of a crime, those are the facts.

You obviously haven’t watched the four episodes.

Stavros
04-03-2021, 04:28 AM
[QUOTE=Stavros;1963421]

You obviously haven’t watched the four episodes.

No, because I don't subscribe to streaming companies. I wonder why there are four rather than one, and I note you seem to dismiss the article by Lucy Mangan that I linked before which does at least raise questons about Mia Farrow and her intentions. I don't know the truth of this, and for what it's worth Mia Farrow comes across as a strident champion of her own views and is as repulsive as Woody Allen, whose films I have considered over-rated for most of his career. I don't think he can be compared to Michael Jackson, so this all really turns on an allegation that has never been proven and probably never will be. I sometimes think this is just a very public, and a very bitter argument between two people whose relationship fell apart and whose acrimony we are supposed to find 'interesting'.

Stavros
05-17-2021, 11:34 PM
Westworld, Season 1 (2016)

This elaborate extension of the feature film is an interesting take on the philosophical issues in FH Bradley 's Appearance and Reality, while one of the main characters having said in one episode 'we are the Gods here', in another quotes Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. It is an odd thing to quote as elsewhere he says one aim of the Park called Westworld is to enable humans to act out their violent fantasies without guilt or real damage -all the 'Hosts' that are killed can be patched up and returned to the park-whereas the original intention behind Frankenstein was to clone a human being, not a monster. Indeed, the assumption that if free to act outside of any law or moral, people will pursue either sexual gratification or violence is a thin plot line, just as the 'Sentient' Robot is the stuff of numerous films and TV series, with rebelllion being a popular theme, so in this sense there is nothing original in Westworld. For that reason, and because it took me five episodes before I could take any interest, but never in the characters, I won't be watching the succeeding seasons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appearance_and_Reality

Stavros
05-31-2021, 01:18 AM
The Queen’s Gambit (2020)

I know nothing about chess, and have not read the book from which this series was made. I enjoyed it even though most of it is predictable, though it sort of deals with addiction which was a problem for the author of the book. I was hoping for more clarity on how Beth becomes an orphan but other than that it was a friend’s Netflix account so it cost me nothing other than my time.

Stavros
10-24-2021, 10:37 AM
Mare of Eastown (HBO, 2021)

Life in Pennsylvania is grim, and not even Kate Winslet with her RADA-via-Hollywood accent can rescue this miserable slice of American pie from the predictable sequences, the unpredictable reveal at the end, the vacuous music, or the creepy feeling that if one girl had not become so demanding, indeed, threatening, the main story line might never have happened. That the women to blame are either rescued or not by so flawed a woman as Mare does not suggest 'women' in America, dare I say the 'biological majority' -?- are having the best of times. As for the Roman Catholic Church with its cult of Mary, one is inclined to sing- 'so long Marianne, don't come back to us again...'.

I watched the whole thing in one session. And I do like Kate Winslet, and I will never forget the sight of her nude, voluptuous body 'dripping' in Holy Smoke (1999 and much under-rated along with her early work), but she can do better than this.

Stavros
10-24-2021, 10:45 AM
Vigil (World Productions, for the BBC, 2021)

Recruitment levels to the Royal Navy just, well, sank like a stone.

Stavros
11-07-2021, 10:58 PM
Zero Days: Nuclear Cyber Sabotage (2017)

This documentary by Alex Gibney was broadcast on BBC Four in the excellent Storyville series. It is a disturbing account of the use of internet worms to sabotage Iran's nuclear development programme. It worked so well that even though Iran suspected Israel and the US as being responsible they had no proof because the 'Stuxnet' worm was all but invisible -but then the Israelis went in on their own, and now the whole world knows what Stuxnet is or was and more worryingly, realizes that there are software programmes that can shut down power grids, railways, broadcasting, the internet.....what 'we' used against 'them' they can now use against us.

This is the link in the UK-
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08bcc18/storyville-zero-days-nuclear-cyber-sabotage

sukumvit boy
11-09-2021, 11:02 PM
Just started watching the first season of "The Cleaner "
IMHO ,very witty and well done comedy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cleaner_(British_TV_series)

Stavros
11-14-2021, 06:28 PM
The Tower (ITV)

Dire, the only word I can find to describe this. And another Lesbian detective, as in Vigil. Makes no difference when the plot and the script are this bad.

https://www.itv.com/hub/the-tower/10a1570?utm_source=search_google&utm_medium=paid_brandexact&utm_campaign=lvn_the_tower&utm_term=watch_now&utm_content=conversion&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4uDNrKKY9AIVmpntCh23KgW7EAAYASAA EgKQwvD_BwE

Stavros
11-14-2021, 06:34 PM
Impeachment: American Crime Story (2021)

I watched the first episode and part of the second, when I decided that if such horrible people are going to parade their insecurities and shit-eating proclivities on screen, they can do it without me. Imagine some people may actually pay to watch this! So Bill lied about having sex with that woman, who cares? Was it a threat to national security? Were the Russians involved? And the woman, who has a producer credit in this, had already had an affair with a married man before 'falling' for Bill. Much as I like Sarah Poulson, and she does a good job, I assume, of portraying what a grasping, resentful scheming monster Linda Tripp was, I just don't need to know more.

One dreads the thought of a 'drama' featuring Cry-Baby Trump, how many series will that need? And will they get Britney Spears to play Ivana Marie?

Spend the money on some real drama, and real crimes, if that is the brief.

MrFanti
11-14-2021, 07:00 PM
Apple's "Invasion", "Titans" and "Doom Patrol" (HBO Max).....

Stavros
11-22-2021, 01:06 PM
Missions (Empreinte Digitale, 2017) Season 1

Two multi-billionaires (one French, the other American) compete with each other to put the first humans on Mars...sound familiar?

But what if, when they get there, they find something of cosmic importance, with the help of an 'historic' Cosmonaut and a re-location of the famed Atlantis?

If you can accept the plot holes and some boulevard acting, this French production will entertain you with its splendid visuals, but other than the core plot twist, never really asks why anyone today would want to set foot on a planet where they cannot breathe without a suit, where the storms will kill you if the food and the boredom does not.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b0b3964c/missions

Stavros
11-29-2021, 11:07 AM
Missions (Empreinte Digitale, 2019) Season 2

They went to Mars and lost their way....and it doesn't look like they will return for Season 3, even if the producers do find them....

Stavros
11-29-2021, 11:21 AM
Close to Me (Channel 4, 2021)

A menopausal woman comes to term with memory loss after falling down stairs. Like the cold case review, the person -usually a woman- who wakes up not knowing what just happened is a useful plot device for contemporary films and tv dramas, eg Flight Attendant (which I haven't seen).

Here, it covers the usual suspects -did her husband try to kill her? Was it her money he needed for a failing business, was it to support an affair, was it her own fault as a form of self-harm? By Episode 5 of 6 I really didn't care and watched it to the end to discover the big reveal was no more interesting than the first scene with its internal monologue/voice over. As is also the case in these series, the house is fabulous, at the end of wooded road, in well-kept gardens, but the dog it was that died. I am not sure if this works as a study of the menopause as I doubt most women who go through it experience life with the same level as trauma as this Danish Blue who has had a traumatic childhood that hants here -has it shaped her?

Another theme is that of the woman who marries a man who is less successful than she is, but the menopausal issue only, as it were, comes to the fore when the married couple need lubricant to have sex, which I suppose is meant to be frank and shocking for the blue stocking brigades, most of whom seem to have decamped to Texas these days (who remembers Mary Whitehouse now?).

Half-baked, hence the plot holes a irritating errors -patients in hospital have disposable cups not glasses for their water, why would Hastings which I assume must have high-end housing but is otherwise a depressed area of Sussex support four branches of the same estate agency? And so on. Six hours is a lot to ask of the audience, and it looks like it was too much for the actors. WHen the house is the star (as was also the case with the Scots drama, The Nest) you know there is something wrong

Stavros
01-17-2022, 05:56 PM
The Tourist (BBC 1, 2022)

This drama/comedy is currently on BBC 1. I watched all six episodes yesterday, though by Episode 3 out of curiosity rather than enjoyment. A man survives a car accident in the Outback but loses his memory. Over the course of the drama he recovers some of his memories but only with the assistance of a woman. The general themes of this drama are that that past will catch up with you in time, and that we may all be tourists in time. The attempt to play with time and reality is not clever so much as tedious, as are the references to Spielberg's The Duel, the Dollars films, and the choice of music.

This is not an advertisement for Australia but a warning. The men are blokes with a dry sense of humour, the Sheilas on the plump side. In both cases, intelligence is in short supply, so we are thinking more Xavier Herbert than Patrick White. The Greek-origin actors, presumably of Melbourne are gainfully employed, but one is left with the feeling the money spent on this excursion into the wilderness might better be spent renovating asylum seeker hotels, one could even take a cue from The Tourist, and call them Big Fuck, or Little Fuck.

It is still running so I won't spoil the plot, it spoils itself.

rodinuk
01-17-2022, 07:18 PM
Missions ….never really asks why anyone today would want to set foot on a planet where they cannot breathe without a suit, where the storms will kill you if the food and the boredom does not.

Presumably “because it was there” and scientific curiosity.

I enjoyed it, a bit different and strangely the fact it was in French gave it a more abstracted quality than some of the factory sci-if that dominates the television screen.

Nikka
01-17-2022, 09:20 PM
sex education

they have 2 non binary boys

Stavros
01-18-2022, 12:54 AM
sex education

they have 2 non binary boys

This is a contradiction in terms. There is no such category as 'non-binary boy'...

Stavros
01-29-2022, 06:02 AM
Trigger Point (ITV, Sundays at 9pm)

Well, the first episode went like a bomb...sorry. Though watchable, plot holes and obscure motives suggest this series has a lot to do in order to match Line of Duty.

Stavros
02-02-2022, 06:02 AM
Hidden Assets (Peter McKenna, broadcast on the BBC, 2021)

A drugs and diamonds caper that links Ireland to Belgium, or more precisely, Shannon to Antwerp, and not much of an advert for either. A well-dressed Irish detective teams up with a scruffy Belge -Flemish not Walloon, indeed French is noticeable by its absence here- and together they uncover a network of crime that unravels after a raid on the house of a criminal in Ireland. The script is not hiding any assets, nor do the actors involved appear to have any that are going to win awards. Shannon comes across as possibly the busiest airport in Ireland, and if you have been reading about the 'Parties'/'Gatherings' in Downing Street in violation of the Law of England, and wonder what a wine fridge might be, look no further. And is it just me, or do the homes of rich people look more like hotels than homes? And why, when the characters return home, do they open the wine fridge rather than make a cuppa? Ireland has come a long way since Father Ted. And to think I watched all six episodes!

Stavros
02-03-2022, 05:49 PM
I, Sniper: The Washington Killers (Arrow Pictures, 2020, broadcast on Channel 4 2022)

I watched all six episodes on the Uk's Channel 4, and was gripped throughout. The documentary pieces together the various murders which took place in 2002 that 'terrorised' the Washington DC area, but we now know began in Washington State, perpetrated by a man and a boy, the latter being the one who pulled the trigger that killed ten people and injured three. The documetary is based on recorded confessions of Lee Malvo, now 33, the law enforcement/FBI/medical staff involved, and the victims and their families, including two ex-wives of John Williams Muhammad.

If revenge is a dish best served cold, this was mass murder on ice, with both Malvo and Muhammad justifying their actions on the basis 'If they take it from me, I will take it from them' -meaning love, children, indeed, as the film suggests, childhood itself. The only real problem is that Malvo's testimony rationalizes his actions years after the event and presumably after some therapy, though he is in Solitary confinement in prison. Sort of apologetic, Malvo insists he was manipulated by the man he looked up to not just as a father figure, but as a lover too, but at the time neither man or boy had anything of consequence to tell the prosecuting offiicials in interviews before or during their trials. The point being they had nothing to say, they had made their point with the killings. The grief, one has to say of the victims and their survivors, is real, and is the heart of this grim record of history.

One moment stands out, in Episode One, where the gun merchant shows the Bushmaster AR-15 rifle of the kind Malvo stole, saying citizens have a Constitutional and a God-Given right to own such weapons -the first being wrong, the second preposterous rubbish. The Constitution of the USA does not give individuals the right to own firearms. And even if the man knows what God wants, and that is absurd, one wonders why God would put humans on the earth to live and then give them weapons to kill.

Lastly, the justification Malvo offers one could just as easily use to justfy Trump's domestic terrorists using violence to 'take back' what they think their enemies have 'taken away', and as someoene points out, to the extent that the US allows citizens to own a variety of weapons of human destruction, such violence is endemic in US culture, further backed up by several hundred years of it.

But as I think Chief of Police Moose also says, plenty of people have traumatic childhoods and don't take their revenge on society by killing innocent men, women and children. I watched all six back to back, but it was worth it.