PDA

View Full Version : Just how do Canadians eat anyway?

DeathFox
05-21-2006, 01:03 PM
:?:

Friedrich_Nietzsche
05-21-2006, 02:08 PM
Using their mouths, forks, spoons, or their hands in case of a sandwich :banghead

BeardedOne
05-21-2006, 02:56 PM
Looking at fine art and historical chatchkies (Sp?) if they are eating at Barberian's on Elm Street off Dundas in TO.

DeathFox
05-21-2006, 03:02 PM
I mean normally. Coz they punished a kid for eating using a spoon and fork

BeardedOne
05-21-2006, 03:54 PM
I mean normally. Coz they punished a kid for eating using a spoon and fork

And you heard this where?

Sounds more like something they'd do in Texas or Florida, not the United States of Canadia. :)

specialk
05-21-2006, 04:00 PM
I mean normally. Coz they punished a kid for eating using a spoon and forkHow early did you start hitting the pipe today? :lol:

LMAO.....good one girl :lol:

plainBob
05-21-2006, 04:47 PM
I heard that somewhere.

plainBob
05-21-2006, 04:49 PM
As for the Canadians i hear they still wear animal skins and some even speak french.

markvictor
05-21-2006, 05:03 PM
I mean normally. Coz they punished a kid for eating using a spoon and forkHow early did you start hitting the pipe today? :lol:

Just got soda up my nasal passages when I red that one, A...classic
Now, could you move over just a bit and let me grab a bite at your trough, will ya?

JohnnyVee
05-21-2006, 05:46 PM
After being in Toronto last year...Canadians can teach Americans a thing or too about cultural equity, respect, etc.

peyton
05-21-2006, 06:32 PM
After being in Toronto last year...Canadians can teach Americans a thing or too about cultural equity, respect, etc.

Well thank you.. but i believe that we all could learn from each other on different things.. like we canadians could learn from your national pride.. we are proud but to quiet about it.. anyways,, i'm dying to find out the source of this thread anyways, i've been looking for something on cnn, sympatico. canada.com and others and can't find no news source for this story..

plainBob
05-21-2006, 06:36 PM
I think it was a joke thread.

BeardedOne
05-21-2006, 07:06 PM
As for the Canadians i hear they still wear animal skins and some even speak french.

Eet ees not FRENCH you eembeseal! Eet ees Que-be-QUOIS!

:lol:

plainBob
05-21-2006, 07:13 PM
I'm sorry breadedOne i dont speak English. 8)

BeardedOne
05-21-2006, 07:21 PM
I'm sorry breadedOne i dont speak English. 8)

'Sokay, most Americans don't. :lol:

s-fme
05-21-2006, 07:46 PM
I'm from Nova Scotia, Canada and I must say the story is true, I heard it on the national news a few weeks ago. I can't remember the boys nationality, but he was separated from his classmates and punished for placing his food on a spoon with a fork to eat it. The principle of the school told the boys mother that the child should learn to eat "like those in the country he lives in". I think the family was from southeast asia. The school was in Ontario.

Felicia Katt
05-21-2006, 08:29 PM
as someone who has relatives in Canada, and has been there many times, I can tell you this about how Canadians eat. They eat well, and a lot and often LOL

FK

BeardedOne
05-21-2006, 08:48 PM
...I heard it on the national news a few weeks ago. I can't remember the boys nationality, but he was separated from his classmates and punished for placing his food on a spoon with a fork to eat it.

What's wrong with that?

Did he get it in his mouth?

Did he swallow it?

Er...Am I in the right topic thread with these questions? :shock: :oops:

plainBob
05-21-2006, 08:49 PM
No frenchi your not. Now go get me some freedomfries 8)

s-fme
05-21-2006, 09:00 PM
I didn't say there was anything wrong with that. But the schools staff freaked out. Its stupid, I agree, but thats what happened.

BeardedOne
05-21-2006, 09:26 PM
No frenchi your not. Now go get me some freedomfries 8)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Freedom Toast, Freedom Doors, Freedom Kissing, Freedom Ticklers...

Heh...Whassup wit' dat? :lol:

Let's not forget "Fredom active, Greek passive"!

*Snark!* :lol: :lol:

Ow! That hurt! :lol: :shock: :lol:

Felicia Katt
05-21-2006, 09:36 PM
here is a link to some information about this controversy.

http://news.inq7.net/opinion/index.php?index=2&story_id=74937&col=84

Apparently, eating with a spoon and fork is a Fillipino custom, but the lunch room monitors at a school in Canada repeatedly made a recent immigrant boy eat alone at a table because he followed his cultural norm.

when the boy's mother called to complain, the school principal, Normand Bergeron said:
If your son eats like a pig, he has to go to another table because this is the way we do it and how we're going to do it every time."
Pretty remarkably insensitive, ignorant and intolerant. Its not known if this is a trend in Canada yet LOL

FK

Ecstatic
05-22-2006, 05:16 AM
I didn't know this was the Filipino custom, but in Thailand pushing food onto the spoon with the fork and never placing the fork in one's mouth is a custom which began in the 19th century. Here's an account of how it came to be:

King Chulalongkorn the Great (Rama V) is largely credited with modernising Thailand in the latter half of the nineteenth century; he was educated by the an Englishwoman, courted Western diplomates and leaders and travelled abroad. One morning he ordered his kitchen to cook a multi-course Western meal and invited the British consul over, sat him down and asked him to 'eat as they do in Europe' so that he could observe their table 'skills'. After everything was done, the King decided he had no use for a knife when eating Thai food (for it was all already chopped up), but found the fork and spoon handy and so begun the use of cutlery in Thailand. Nowadays everyone uses the fork to push the food onto the spoon (in your right hand), which then goes in your mouth. The fork, however, never does.

I imagine something very similar developed in other Asian countries.

markvictor
05-22-2006, 05:41 AM
Just got soda up my nasal passages when I red that one, A...classicSowweee. ;)

Hey Arianna,A nose full of pepsi is well worth it to see you shoot a lurker down in flames...

thmack
05-22-2006, 05:43 AM

lmao

WTF..................... :roll:

plainBob
05-22-2006, 05:49 AM
LOL i was goin with the flow of joke at the begining. But I'm still trying to figure out whay they are on this kids back because he eats with a spoon. I guess I'll say im sorry for the freach remark . Canadians dont surrender as fast as the french, they atleast put up a fight. 8)

peyton
05-22-2006, 03:26 PM
Well this would appear to be an isolated incident with one dumb dicksmack of a principal.. We canadians eat like the rest of the world.
and the rest of the world is allowed to eat as they like. even when here.

so feel free to bring your chopsticks or other weapons of choice when coming here :D

Personally I eat my Pizza with my hands yet many use a fork and knife.
it was something i never encountered till i moved to muskoka but it's fairly common to see at the pizza places up here.

And Bearded one is right,, they don't speak french in Quebec,, they speak Quebecois.. which is sligtly different than french in say Paris..
and in other regions of Canada such as northern Ontario.. the french is even different still.. so,, the french isn't french I believe "different dialects" would be proper way of putting it.
Oh, and I love french toast,, and Poutine. :roll:

JohnnyVee
05-22-2006, 06:21 PM
As someone who adores asian food...Indian, Thai...Toronto has some of the best asian cooking I've had. Many places remain American'ized / Canadian'ized.

Friedrich_Nietzsche
05-22-2006, 09:01 PM
Another normal everyday story...

BeardedOne
05-22-2006, 10:22 PM
Well this would appear to be an isolated incident with one dumb dicksmack of a principal..

:lol: @ 'dicksmack'

The last time I heard of something this ignorant was when a southern (I believe it was Florida) police department censured one of its officers because he used the 'European seven' in his reports.

To those unaware, pretty much all of the world except 'US' writes the one/1 as a line with a 'hat', much as it appears typed: 1 . To avoid confusion, the seven/7 is typically written with a stroke/line through it. I'm not sure when/where I picked up the habit of doing so myself (Probably when I was corresponding with the twins in Sweden...*Sigh*), but no one's ever said 'boo' about it. When I read the story of this cop getting shit about doing it all I could think of was the mantra: The American people clearly have too much free time on their hands. :x

And now it's the gawdamned Canucks emulating our own ignorance? Jeez, where can I go to escape this shit?