PDA

View Full Version : Single Malt Scotch Whisky

robertlouis
07-09-2013, 04:35 AM
After hijacking Trixie's thread with umpteen posts about the joys of single malt usquebaugh, it's time to break away and leave the poor lass in peace.

Now, there needs to be some ground rules before we start:

1. Only "whisky", please. If you want to talk bourbon or rye, gtf out of here. This is about serious, original stuff with a 2000 year history.

2. The only things to be added to single malt are (a) bottled or Scottish water, still, not sparkling and (b) more single malt.

3. Anyone who wants to add ice will be offered counselling, or, failing that, death by lethal injection.

OK guys, over to you.

danthepoetman
07-09-2013, 04:52 AM
Great idea! And I accept whole hearthedly the rules presented to me and I'll click "I agree" anytime. This could potentially be a fabulous thread, as a bottle of whisky is most probably the most beautiful thing after a woman. :)

I must say I have given my little bits and what not on the Alcohol thread on the subject. Drinking exclusively whisky, the whole alcohol thread was highjacked by my good care towards Scotland without stopovers. But I'm ready to talk about over and over and over again, and especially if it forces me to taste some more in order to comment!

:party::banana::banana::party::banana::party::part y::banana::banana:

Fabulous idea, Robert Louis!

And to start things nicely, let me post some lovely old pictures, the first one of an artisan working alone, the second of the Bowmore dislillery, the third one of the peat picking and the last one of the defunct Port-Ellen distillery, still surviving nontheless as a malting installation, if I'm not wrong...

robertlouis
07-09-2013, 05:00 AM
Great idea! And I accept whole hearthedly the rules presented to me and I'll click "I agree" anytime. This could potentially be a fabulous thread, as a bottle of whisky is most probably the most beautiful thing after a woman. :)

I must say I have given my little bits and what not on the Alcohol thread on the subject. Drinking exclusively whisky, the whole alcohol thread was highjacked by my good care towards Scotland without stopovers. But I'm ready to talk about over and over and over again, and especially if it forces me to taste some more in order to comment!

:party::banana::banana::party::banana::party::bana na::party::banana::banana:

Fabulous idea, Robert Louis!

And to start things nicely, let me post some lovely old pictures, the first one of an artisan working alone, the second of the Bowmore dislillery, the third one of the peat picking and the last one of the defunct Port-Ellen distillery, still surviving nontheless as a malting installation, if I'm not wrong...

Thanks Dan. We can have some fun with this!

I spent a couple of blissfully pissed summers on Islay staying with a university friend whose family home was in a wonderfully ramshackle Georgian mansion built around a 13th century tower house overlooking the Atlantic at Portnahaven. We worked for the island council maitaining graveyards but spent most of our time sleeping off our hangovers on table stones.

The island's common currency was malt - everyone had at least one family member who worked in one of the distilleries and nobody ever paid for it! And I've sunk a few bottles of Port Ellen too. Wonder what they would be worth now?

Last night I toasted Andy Murray's Wimbledon win with the remainder of my 21 year old Springbank. Dropping heavy hints for my birthday next month!

danthepoetman
07-09-2013, 05:24 AM
Out of curiosity, I was just searching the site of the State control liquor stores, here, to see the price of a Port Ellen, and I noticed that they have, for the first time, to my knowledge, the Springbank in store! A 10, a 15 and an 18 yrs old. The two first at relatively reasonable prices, around $100, and the third at almost $200. I might just try the 15. I never had a Campbeltown before!

As to the Port Ellen, it's a Douglas and Laing embottling, 30 years old, "Rare Platinum", at the modest sum of $1 160...

Here's a couple more of my friend Ferrell...
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5e3u3zM6t1rnrmpdo1_500.gif
http://www.lionsdenu.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Anchorman.gif

danthepoetman
07-09-2013, 05:33 AM
I'm joking, Trixie. Although I wouldn't rule out turning up in upper New York state some time with a couple of good bottles....
But you're right. Single malt is wasted as a party drink - it should be sipped and savoured, so it does lend itself to male only sessions and the swapping of stories. I've only met two women in my entire life who share my passion for single malt, and both of them had the income to indulge their hobby too.
That's what it was first distilled for all those centuries ago, after all, sitting in a stone house around a peat fire and telling tales of great battles won and lost.
And good luck to you. This is the last post that will interfere with the original direction of your thread. Apologies for the long diversion.

So, OK. I'm quoting you from the other thread to this one, Robert Louis, because I want to comment on this. I find that if there is one irrefutable of the fundamental difference between men and women, it's indeed the love of whisky. I have never met a woman who liked whisky! NEVER! And believe me (yes, really, really believe me on this), it's not because I haven't tried. For some reasons as deep as they are mysterious and probably of the most profound anatomical or biological origin, whisky is essentially a man's drink!

robertlouis
07-09-2013, 05:37 AM
So, OK. I'm quoting you from the other thread to this one, Robert Louis, because I want to comment on this. I find that if there is one irrefutable of the fundamental difference between men and women, it's indeed the love of whisky. I have never met a woman who liked whisky! NEVER! And believe me (yes, really, really believe me on this), it's not because I haven't tried. For some reasons as deep as they are mysterious and probably of the most profound anatomical or biological origin, whisky is essentially a man's drink!

Both the girls who liked malt were high-flying executive colleagues. It was great when we travelled together to go into the hotel bar late and work through the gantry!

danthepoetman
07-09-2013, 05:48 AM
Both the girls who liked malt were high-flying executive colleagues. It was great when we travelled together to go into the hotel bar late and work through the gantry!
There's a few ladies that I can think of that have really good taste and a great palate for whisky, but they are in the very rare numbers. There's Helen Arthur, who wrote a couple of good books, a lady of Scottish origins. And French Martine Nouet, who lives in Islay because of her love of whisky, and invents delightful recipes to make with it and eat while drinking it, before and after, and sometimes during!

danthepoetman
07-09-2013, 05:52 AM
Here are a few more beautiful pictures. An old one first, then Bowmore, old and more recently, Glengoyne and finally, a beautiful pic of Edimburg.

mellownella
07-09-2013, 05:58 AM
Now for me it has to be one of the famous peaty malts

robertlouis
07-09-2013, 06:02 AM
Here are a few more beautiful pictures. An old one first, then Bowmore, old and more recently, Glengoyne and finally, a beautiful pic of Edimburg.

Ah, I grew up within walking distance of Glengoyne. It's a magical setting.

Prospero
07-09-2013, 06:38 AM
I'm with mellownella. Laphroig all the way...with Talisker a wee distance behind

Lovecox
07-09-2013, 06:56 AM
My current bottle of Lagavulin. I take in the smoky essence for several minutes before sipping.

Idt20082008"
07-09-2013, 07:02 AM
I do like Talisker, however I'm partial to Edradour myself

Dark Adventurer
07-09-2013, 07:06 AM
I'm gonna observe and take notes. My experience hasn't been wide, but I've come away with a few for which I truly have formed a repeated appreciation. Balvenie Double Wood, for one. I shall monitor and try what you guys recommend, because I agree that this is something women don't comprehend. Maybe that's another reason we like the ladies here...?

JenniferParisHusband
07-09-2013, 07:10 AM
I've only been fortunate enough to have this particular bottle once, while on holiday in Edinburgh. But it was my all time favorite. I'm partial to Glenmorangie anyway, it was the first whiskey I had ever tasted (thanks to the movie Highlander, of all things) and I guess I became accustomed to it's taste. I've got a 12 year bottle of their regular single malt here at the house. But the Burgandy with just a splash of water (same water used in the making of it, I was told) was perhaps the greatest thing ever!!!!

By the way, if someone has some experience with decent water experimentation, I'd be happy to know what people think. I've got city water on tap here, and that's like adding chorine to it, so for at home, I get a bottle of Fiji Water, chill it to about 38 degrees (my normal fridge temp) and add just enough to enhance the taste. It's Fiji, so it's better than tap water, but it still has an odd plastic taste to it. So any tips on better water are appreciated.

Prospero
07-09-2013, 07:17 AM
I clicked like to the OP... but i must confess that I do find this thread just the slightest bit geeky. Pleasure is far too serious not to be taken a little bit lightly... to corrupt Oscar Wilde somewhat.

JenniferParisHusband
07-09-2013, 07:20 AM
Two things you'll find a lot of men get super seriously geeky about, whisky and cigars.

Prospero
07-09-2013, 07:32 AM
Cigars.... urrghhh... nothing spoils a wonderful dinner more than some jerk lighting one up at an adjoining table. Thank god most civilised places now ban smoking in restaurants.

JenniferParisHusband
07-09-2013, 07:36 AM
Yeah, I'm not personally down with cigars either, but I spent last night listening to three guys going on about the proper technique for drying leaves, and Cuban rolling versus Venezuelan rolling. That to me was geeky. But then again, I was there trying to explain why a single malt was better than a blended whisky. So, I'm a geek.

Prospero
07-09-2013, 07:39 AM
Well geekiness is not an accusation I'd throw around too lightly. Passion, enthusiasm etc... are excellent qualities. but geekiness incarnates a sort of obsessiveness.

robertlouis
07-09-2013, 03:09 PM
I've only been fortunate enough to have this particular bottle once, while on holiday in Edinburgh. But it was my all time favorite. I'm partial to Glenmorangie anyway, it was the first whiskey I had ever tasted (thanks to the movie Highlander, of all things) and I guess I became accustomed to it's taste. I've got a 12 year bottle of their regular single malt here at the house. But the Burgandy with just a splash of water (same water used in the making of it, I was told) was perhaps the greatest thing ever!!!!

By the way, if someone has some experience with decent water experimentation, I'd be happy to know what people think. I've got city water on tap here, and that's like adding chorine to it, so for at home, I get a bottle of Fiji Water, chill it to about 38 degrees (my normal fridge temp) and add just enough to enhance the taste. It's Fiji, so it's better than tap water, but it still has an odd plastic taste to it. So any tips on better water are appreciated.

You read the rules, JPH.

I refer you to rule #1.

You spelled whisky with an "e".

Yellow card. Behave yourself.

Prospero
07-09-2013, 03:10 PM
After a whole bottle can you still speak, let alone spell?

robertlouis
07-09-2013, 03:13 PM

My dear departed Dad taught me that if you respect whisky it will respect you back. A whisky hangover is the hangover from hell.

Always drink it in a ratio of 5 or 6 to 1, water to whisky. Not in it, but alongside.

Prospero
07-09-2013, 03:15 PM
Never IN it at all... ever

Jericho
07-09-2013, 03:42 PM
Here...You forgot these! :ignore:

nysprod
07-09-2013, 03:43 PM
You guys ever get into any Auld Stag?

Prospero
07-09-2013, 03:43 PM
lol at jericho

ralyear56
07-09-2013, 03:59 PM
My favorite now is eighteen year old Talisker, though it is impossible to find now.

nysprod
07-09-2013, 04:06 PM
Lol...DanThePoetMan's cat LMAOooo

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l271/redneckrebelplyr/BUM.jpg

Ecstatic
07-09-2013, 04:10 PM
I am reminded of a lyric by Robin Williamson of the Incredible String Band fame, a fine poet/musician and a Scot with a fondness for single malt:

Water is the strong stuff
It carries whales and ships
But water is the wrong stuff
Don' let it get past your lips
It wets your suits and rots your boots
Puts shakes in all your bones
Dilute the stuff with whisky, aye,
Or leave it well alone.

Thus far this thread has heavily favored the single malts of Islay, and I must concur, I favor these above all other types. My favorites include Lagavulin, Bruichladdich, Arbeg, and Bowmore. Outside of the Islands, my next choice are some of the Speyside whiskies, in particular Macallan, Balvenie, and Dallas Dhu.

Two or three years ago I called out Playboy on an egregious error: they had just published a guide to Scotch Whiskey - yes, spelled with an 'e' - and I dressed them down for it. But they ignored my argument, citing a major American (!) dictionary (I forget which one) as allowing the whiskey spelling for the malts of Scotland. We exchanged emails and eventually my letter was even published in their letters section a couple of months after the publication, but they held their ground. Fools.

Merkurie
07-09-2013, 06:27 PM
The Water of Life
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ltjq3ynhoI1qzffb5o1_500.jpg

http://www.maltmadness.com/whisky/Dalwhinnie-Casks.jpg

http://www.cottage-highland.co.uk/uploads/fck/image/Dalwhinnie%20distillery%20view%20with%20railway(1) .jpg

danthepoetman
07-09-2013, 06:42 PM
You could be surprised... :)

Prince Dan Albert
07-09-2013, 06:50 PM
22 years ago i was in scotland on holidays, being exactly 25 years of age. There I bought a bottle of 25 years old single malt glenfiddich whiskey, and decided I wait until we both turn 50, and then I'll see what life has brought us..... 4 more years to go, but I'll let you all know the result!

danthepoetman
07-09-2013, 06:53 PM
Lol...DanThePoetMan's cat LMAOooo

Moi?

Man! you always see things so negatively! You're the killjoy or the party pooper of HA! First, you would never see me with beer, man! NEVER! ONLY SCOTCH WHISKY, AND ALWAYS SINGLE MALT, except when I can't do otherwise. Secondly, wtf? I'm not cat! This is it (it's J&B, so it was in a bad skid row day after)..

danthepoetman
07-09-2013, 06:59 PM
22 years ago i was in scotland on holidays, being exactly 25 years of age. There I bought a bottle of 25 years old single malt glenfiddich whiskey, and decided I wait until we both turn 50, and then I'll see what life has brought us..... 4 more years to go, but I'll let you all know the result!
It makes a more than 50 years old bottle!! That could reach a good price on auction! Glenfiddich is a very simple whisky, though, Dan, my homonymous. The 15 yrs (Solera) is pretty nice, but it gets to be good after it, with the 18, imo. A 25 yrs must be quite good, my friend. Then again, you have to know that whisky stops evolving in the bottle, as opposed to wine. So you can still wait for the thrill of drinking an old bottle, put the time line in parallel with the events of your life (I love doing that, drinking stuff older than my daughter, etc.), and it's quite a thrill indeed, but the whisky itself won't get better than it was when embottled... :)

Prospero
07-09-2013, 07:13 PM
Dan ... in your case I'll make an exception. you become positively loquacious the more you imbibe

Prince Dan Albert
07-09-2013, 07:19 PM
my good (poet)man, I am fully aware that the whiskey will not get better the second 25 years... as, I am afraid, was I! when it comes to getting well spoken in foreign tongues, nothing beats moonshine vodka, though! I remember a story - well, actually i dont remember anything from these two days- so, I was TOLD, that being filled up in an godforsaken small town someplace near the Urals, I was holding elaborate speeches about women's rights - after barely three month of learning russian. The whole city came to look at that wonder... it was winter, and nothing better to do, obviously.

Prospero
07-09-2013, 07:21 PM
prince... Whisky...not whiskey.... lol

Prince Dan Albert
07-09-2013, 07:33 PM
Am just showing off..... I've been to the "malt whiskey trail" in scotland - and they, and their lesser brethren in Ireland, call it just that! But they spell it even worse.... something like "Whysekey" Ever since i even dont say Edinburgh anymore, but Edinborough... am a pretentious dick sometimes!

danthepoetman
07-09-2013, 07:40 PM
I'm an absolute purist in the matter: NO WATER IN THE MALT!!! It's a sin! You'll go to HELL! And if you dare ruin it with ice, you'll be tortured for eternity. No cigar either! it creates a putrescent milieu in the mouth that suffocate the taste buds and destroy the malt, especially delicate malts. Dalmore has created a "Cigar malt", very full of body; but to me it just doesn't work. In fact, when I'm in malt tasting mode, I also refuse to eat. Generally, after 3 glasses, it's over, I don't want to eat anything anymore even if the first glass was drank as an aperitive. Malt whisky is just too good! I will have some with food, before or after, or even during, on special, gastronomy experiences. But in tasting mode, you taste, not anything else, or you spoil the work of these fabulous craftsmen and artisans that makes over years and years this incredible beverage from a venerable secular know-how. Always keep in mind that some of the whisky you drink was made by men who thought to themselves that they would never drink the whisky they were making; they had the gift of drinking what elders had make for them and they themselves would leave some for the next generation...

Cooling the malt take away some of the flavors and perfumes, imo, JPH. You're right that the water which it was made with is most probably the best. Tap water, yukk!! And embottled, you're right again, it might give a plastic taste.

My dear departed Dad taught me that if you respect whisky it will respect you back. A whisky hangover is the hangover from hell.
Always drink it in a ratio of 5 or 6 to 1, water to whisky. Not in it, but alongside.
Bless your Dad's soul, my friend! But I find that good malt's hangover is much nicer than hangovers from these disgusting commercial beers or these manipulated and coloured wines on the market. This just kills you...
You're right: keep hydrating yourself with a glass of water here and there as you're getting drunk... I mean, as the tasting time progresses, and it should be all pretty good.

Never IN it at all... ever
NEVER IN, indeed, Prospero.

I am reminded of a lyric by Robin Williamson of the Incredible String Band fame, a fine poet/musician and a Scot with a fondness for single malt:

Water is the strong stuff
It carries whales and ships
But water is the wrong stuff
Don' let it get past your lips
It wets your suits and rots your boots
Puts shakes in all your bones
Dilute the stuff with whisky, aye,
Or leave it well alone.

Beautiful verses, Ecstatic. If you don't mind, I might use these as signature, eventually... Thanks!

Now if you have, put water or ice in your whisky, repent and don't do it again. But if you keep doing it, here's what's comming to you; the cold water torture in hell for eternity:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-lsiOfjiNB08/TYeGUMApqgI/AAAAAAAAABQ/yNALdrPwg2k/s1600/gustave_dore_dante_the_styx_phlegyas.jpg
http://0.tqn.com/d/atheism/1/0/P/-/3/EnviousPunished-e.jpg

danthepoetman
07-09-2013, 07:44 PM
Dan ... in your case I'll make an exception. you become positively loquacious the more you imbibe
You're right, Prospero: I am definitely more fun when I drink! :party:

danthepoetman
07-09-2013, 07:48 PM
Am just showing off..... I've been to the "malt whiskey trail" in scotland - and they, and their lesser brethren in Ireland, call it just that! But they spell it even worse.... something like "Whysekey" Ever since i even dont say Edinburgh anymore, but Edinborough... am a pretentious dick sometimes!
Prince Dan, you're new around here? A very warm welcome to you! A man who loves Malt whisky can not possibly be a bad man!
Slainthe!

Prospero
07-09-2013, 08:25 PM
Maybe it's time for a breakaway thread on Champagne....

danthepoetman
07-09-2013, 08:40 PM
Maybe it's time for a breakaway thread on Champagne....
The little bubbles make me dizzy... :)

Prospero
07-09-2013, 08:41 PM
The smaller the bubbles the better the Champagne

danthepoetman
07-09-2013, 10:52 PM
The smaller the bubbles the better the Champagne
Anyways, Prospero, are you not infringinging one of our rules, here?
:)

Here are a few more pics I like...
Notice the differences in the stills, from one distillery to another...

JenniferParisHusband
07-09-2013, 11:14 PM
You read the rules, JPH.

I refer you to rule #1.

You spelled whisky with an "e".

Yellow card. Behave yourself.

Sorry, when I was a kid we had a dog named "Whiskey" with an E. It's force of habit after all those years, especially late at night, after a few glasses of said beverage. More of a spot foul than a yellow.

trish
07-10-2013, 12:10 AM
Here's what's sitting on my counter at the moment:

Prospero
07-10-2013, 12:17 AM
Whiskey is good bourbon is good whiskey is king flout all the rules I say and have champers too you snobs

Merkurie
07-10-2013, 12:31 AM
Champagne is for women and Frenchmen.
There I said it.

Prospero
07-10-2013, 12:41 AM
Whoa. And what is wrong with that. I love women and French women especially

Merkurie
07-10-2013, 12:44 AM
Whoa. And what is wrong with that. I love women and French women especially

Not a thing.

And I like to finish off each with a fine Single Malt Scotch.

Fu Manchu
07-10-2013, 12:54 AM
For me it has to come from the Isle's, Skye and Islay especially. Talisker is my usual go- to but I've got these in at the moment

http://singlemaltwhiskyshop.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/bruichladdich15-2nd-edition.jpg

http://vahakhezaran.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/caol-ila-12.jpg

The Caol Ila is very, very nice

MDinMD
07-10-2013, 01:05 AM
The Balvenie Doublewood is my favorite. Plus, a Scotch with "double wood" in its name is clearly TS-friendly!

dderek123
07-10-2013, 01:23 AM
I'm a big fan of Bruichladdich as well. I could pore that stuff over my corn flakes it's so deilcious.

danthepoetman
07-10-2013, 03:09 AM
Whiskey is good bourbon is good whiskey is king flout all the rules I say and have champers too you snobs
:banghead:frustrated:pissed:

Champagne is for women and Frenchmen.
There I said it.
:iagree:

...what? Frenchmen????....

fivekatz
07-10-2013, 03:28 AM
Isle du jura is my fav of the less popular. Also love the far more popular Glenfiddich 18 years.

danthepoetman
07-10-2013, 05:01 AM
Trish, I always was seduced by your charm and your extraordinairy mind, but I must say that I'm absolutely conquered, right now!

nysprod
07-10-2013, 05:18 AM
Dan and Prospero after a meeting of the HA Single Malt Scotch Whisky Connoisseurs LMAOooo!

http://www.lolpix.com/_pics/Funny_Pictures_258/Funny_Pictures_2585.jpg

danthepoetman
07-10-2013, 05:36 AM
Dan and Prospero after a meeting of the HA Single Malt Scotch Whisky Connoisseurs LMAOooo!

http://www.lolpix.com/_pics/Funny_Pictures_258/Funny_Pictures_2585.jpg
lol
Whisky is magic potion, Nysprod, and I fell in it when I was little! So you know what it means, don't you?
http://brebeuf.free.fr/travaux/mulkoc/a10/siteinter/bertrand/obelix.gif

nysprod
07-10-2013, 05:40 AM
lol
Whisky is magic potion, Nysprod, and I fell in it when I was little! So you know what it means, don't you?

Lol...what?

danthepoetman
07-10-2013, 06:26 AM
Lol...what?
lol asshole...

Prospero
07-10-2013, 07:35 AM
lol at nysprod... except of course that should Robertlouis and Dan... they are the doing the drinking for us all... I have other pursuits

danthepoetman
07-10-2013, 08:57 AM
lol at nysprod... except of course that should Robertlouis and Dan... they are the doing the drinking for us all... I have other pursuits
Absolutely, it doesn't make sense.

What do you think of this one? I'd say: "Hillary for next President!!"

danthepoetman
07-10-2013, 09:00 AM
And this!? Now this is the absolute proof that whisky is very good for the health! It's a potion, an elixir, a life giving substance. Doesn't it come from uesquebaugh? It means "water of life"!
Look at this 100 years old lady with her whisky! :)

danthepoetman
07-10-2013, 09:08 AM
For those who are interrested, I have a few charts and maps that could help tasting... Here:

Prospero
07-10-2013, 09:08 AM
actually she is only 32... that's what too much whisky does for you

danthepoetman
07-10-2013, 09:23 AM
actually she is only 32... that's what too much whisky does for you
Not quite as fresh as a rose, for 32, but she must be a sweetheart: she's drinking the golden beverage of the gods! :wiggle:

danthepoetman
07-10-2013, 06:48 PM

KnHd
07-10-2013, 06:55 PM

dobie
07-10-2013, 07:00 PM

+1 also

danthepoetman
07-10-2013, 07:34 PM
One malt I'm a little bit surprised not to have seen so far in this thread, as I was impressed with how well the participating members have shown to know their whisky, is the Cragganmore. It's a subtle dram, of course, which might explain it. I personally started to be very intrigued, and even obsessed with the taste at the end of the first bottle only, and it took me a whole second bottle to fully get to appreciate it (though not all at once :cool: ).
Cragganmore is one of the most complex malt in Scotland. Perfume of herbs, cut straw, origan, then fruits, raisins and prunes, then dried fruits, floweres in the field, heather honey and the stone of its water couple with its dryness, a faint, tiny bit of smoke, nuttiness, some spices, and all of that in a tender, delicate harmony. The finish is very long with, as I said, a mouth memory that lasts through the next days if not more.
It seems that this complexity might be created by the shape of the stills, which are not made like the majority of the distilleries'. The top of the stills are not as elongated as that of most other distilleries, which probably causes more reflux during distillation and therefore more flavours.
Here's everything you wanted to see about Cragganmore but were affraid to ask...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-DYM9DJ8z_NQ/T-DvQRxCgQI/AAAAAAAAAJg/dCLc2Ug1EwU/s1600/Cragganmore.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7196/6841118008_7f1c00aebb_z.jpg
http://www.schottlandberater.de/uploads/pics/cragganmore-distillery-speyside.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7079/6974892468_ac09da735c_z.jpg
http://www.scotchwhisky.net/images/dist/cgm_pot.jpg
http://www.whisky.de/archiv/dist/cragganm/b04_0595_2.jpg
http://cigari.ru/data/category/67640.jpg
https://www.forwhiskeylovers.com/sites/default/files/user/1968/photos/PHOTO_14233928_9468_21555661_ap.jpg
http://www.thegreenwellystop.co.uk/whiskyshop/images/uploads/Cragganmore/Jan11-cragganmore-21-1.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/30/Cragganmore_bootle.JPG
http://www.secretsdecave.com/328-thickbox/cragganmore-14-ans-1997-signatory-vintage-46vol-bouteille-70-cl.jpg
http://img.thewhiskyexchange.com/270/cgmob.14yov1.jpg

Cragganmore House, with bread and breakfast...
http://www.cragganmore-house.com/images/cragganmorehouse.jpg

http://www.cragganmorelodge.co.uk/images/map.gif
http://img5.cherchons.com/marchand/www.whisky.fr/media/catalog/product/m/8/m8117.jpg

TSBootyLondon
07-11-2013, 12:55 AM
I know I am cheating and it doesn't count as it isn't a malt BUT... this is my favourite whiskey.....

I was bought a bottle last Christmas and drunk the entire bottle on that same night!
Up until the point where I was non compsmentis I felt a little like John Wayne sat at my kitchen workbench, drinking it neat with a friend..... I truly knew what it felt to be a cowgirl!

I came out on the other side the next morning minus a hangover which was a double bonus!

anyone tried this?

Ms.Stepford
07-11-2013, 01:31 AM
Hey guys...nice thread...

http://www.hungangels.com/vboard/picture.php?albumid=1453&pictureid=11463

:p

I actually took that the other day while y'all were posting whiskey in my thread for someone special. There were more, but he they're mostly veiny cock pics, and who wants to see that, y'know?

Merkurie
07-11-2013, 01:44 AM
Scotch and naked babes sounds like a good combination.

Jericho
07-11-2013, 01:50 AM

Damn...About time this thread got interesting! :whistle:

robertlouis
07-11-2013, 03:03 AM
I know I am cheating and it doesn't count as it isn't a malt BUT... this is my favourite whiskey.....

I was bought a bottle last Christmas and drunk the entire bottle on that same night!
Up until the point where I was non compsmentis I felt a little like John Wayne sat at my kitchen workbench, drinking it neat with a friend..... I truly knew what it felt to be a cowgirl!

I came out on the other side the next morning minus a hangover which was a double bonus!

anyone tried this?

Bella, my dear darling girl.

First of all, it isn't a whisky.

Secondly, it's a liqueur.

Thirdly, it's distilled in the Netherlands.

Glad you enjoyed it though. :banana:

robertlouis
07-11-2013, 03:04 AM

I actually took that the other day while y'all were posting whiskey in my thread for someone special. There were more, but he they're mostly veiny cock pics, and who wants to see that, y'know?

The perfect combination - can I drink malt scotch from your ass, Trixi? :party:

Ms.Stepford
07-11-2013, 03:18 AM
Haha!

Only if it were out of my corpse!

The membrane in the rectum is mad absorbent.

Best way to abuse stimulants, if you make a neat little measured solutions.

It's tough to get your dick hard on them, though...so it's not really a party thing, y'know?

robertlouis
07-11-2013, 03:23 AM
Haha!

Only if it were out of my corpse!

The membrane in the rectum is mad absorbent.

Best way to abuse stimulants, if you make a neat little measured solutions.

It's tough to get your dick hard on them, though...so it's not really a party thing, y'know?

Forgot about that - can't have your anal sphincter getting drunk.

Could get kinda messy. :hide-1:

And that would take us back to that lonely fireplace lol.....

Ms.Stepford
07-11-2013, 03:29 AM
Ehhhh...I'm pretty sure my butt could handle it, but at best I'd probably need to have my stomach pumped...

Hmmm how big are you bb?

LMAO

robertlouis
07-11-2013, 03:59 AM
Ehhhh...I'm pretty sure my butt could handle it, but at best I'd probably need to have my stomach pumped...

Hmmm how big are you bb?

LMAO

Big enough and no complaints. :dancing:

Do you need written references?

Ms.Stepford
07-11-2013, 04:04 AM
If those written references are fun stories from other WGs, they'd be fun to read ;)
but if you're LE they're doing a great job and, fuck, they deserve the bust.

robertlouis
07-11-2013, 04:51 AM
If those written references are fun stories from other WGs, they'd be fun to read ;)
but if you're LE they're doing a great job and, fuck, they deserve the bust.

Sweetheart, undercover cops don't write songs, nor do they use a pic of themselves as an avatar.

Unless they're really dumb.

References or songs*, your call.... :rock2

*Health warning, they're all as miserable as fuck. I can make Leonard Cohen sound like the entire cast of Glee overdosing on uppers....

danthepoetman
07-11-2013, 07:24 AM
This is much nicer than any bottle of whisky, Trixi! Much nicer!

Scotch and naked babes sounds like a good combination.
:iagree:

JenniferParisHusband
07-11-2013, 09:59 PM
Dan, I don't know who the little Asian cutie is in the photos, but I'll take one!

danthepoetman
07-12-2013, 01:51 AM
Dan, I don't know who the little Asian cutie is in the photos, but I'll take one!
Yes, she immidiately caught my eyes on some whisky site; I took the pics and completely forgot about the damn site! lol And she's a quality lady: she's drinking Glenmorangie.

By the way, this Glenmorangie, the Glenmorangie "Original", might be one of the nicest whiskies for a woman to start initiating herself. It's very delicate with a bit of a taste of mandarine with soft spices, a little buttery with very faint smoke. I served it to a couple of girls I wanted to introduced to the beverage by pouring some in a glass full of ice -a treachery, I know, a sacrilege, but for the good cause. They both liked it a lot!

http://www.glenmorangie.com/static/images/whiskies/products/large/the-original-bottle.jpg

robertlouis
07-12-2013, 03:21 AM
I'd certainly echo your views on the original Glenmorangie, Dan. Maturing in different woods is all very well, but I still prefer to go with the classic originals.

It's still restricted to just a few. IMO as long as the distillers continue to go with their classic recipe and venture out from there, fine.

When it comes to starting out on the single malt odyssey, for both men and women, I'd tend to recommend the lighter malts from all the regions, the ones that are splendid as an aperitif but don't carry the weight to close a meal.

I'm thinking of the likes of Caol Ila, Bladnoch, Glenkinchie and Dalwhinnie. Any others you can think of?

Breaks the palate in gently before progressing up the scale towards the holy grail of the best Islays.

Ecstatic
07-12-2013, 05:53 AM
When I'm in the mood for a lighter whisky that still has flavor and character, I go with Dalwhinnie. Very smooth. Usually I favor the peaty malts of Islay, but not always.

danthepoetman
07-12-2013, 07:04 AM
I'd certainly echo your views on the original Glenmorangie, Dan. Maturing in different woods is all very well, but I still prefer to go with the classic originals.

It's still restricted to just a few. IMO as long as the distillers continue to go with their classic recipe and venture out from there, fine.

When it comes to starting out on the single malt odyssey, for both men and women, I'd tend to recommend the lighter malts from all the regions, the ones that are splendid as an aperitif but don't carry the weight to close a meal.

I'm thinking of the likes of Caol Ila, Bladnoch, Glenkinchie and Dalwhinnie. Any others you can think of?

Breaks the palate in gently before progressing up the scale towards the holy grail of the best Islays.
Yes. The herbal ones: Glenlossie for instance, or the regular Benromach, with it's almost italian herbs -I love it before Italian food. The Auchentoshan, also, with it's easy apple tones. Also very simple and aperitif, the Tamdhu; call me strange if you want but to me, this one has a distinctive olive taste on the finish... :) A bit more body, but nice too as an apero, the Aberfeldy.
But I think indeed that the Caol Ila is the best aperitif there is. It really opens the appetite -unfortunately often the appetite for some more pungent whisky. lol

__________________________________________________ _____________

Prospero
07-12-2013, 07:38 AM
A theme song for this thread?

Mary Coughlan - Whisky didn't kill the pain - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FakWLjImQo0)

danthepoetman
07-12-2013, 07:51 AM
A theme song for this thread?

Mary Coughlan - Whisky didn't kill the pain - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FakWLjImQo0)
LMAO!

It's a bit like money: it doesn't make happiness but it can make unhappiness easy! ;)

__________________________________________________ _______________

danthepoetman
07-12-2013, 06:07 PM

For every one who loves the Laphroaig, here's a little something special:

danthepoetman
07-12-2013, 06:10 PM
Here's for the Bruichladdich lovers...

For me it has to come from the Isle's, Skye and Islay especially. Talisker is my usual go- to but I've got these in at the moment
http://singlemaltwhiskyshop.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/bruichladdich15-2nd-edition.jpg

Prospero
07-12-2013, 06:14 PM
I was tempted to merge this with Nikka's Coca Cola thread. But I guess you guys Dan and Robert louis would hunt me down and kill me....

Gillian
07-12-2013, 06:40 PM
For every one who loves the Laphroaig
I find Islay malts, and Laphroaig in particular, just remind me of ...

http://images-its.chemistdirect.co.uk/Tcp-Liquid-Antiseptic-Original-10860.jpg?o=G$2d7T1ZRz@L3BG2OuctM0yNqF8j&V=D9FW&q=70

danthepoetman
07-12-2013, 06:50 PM
I was tempted to merge this with Nikka's Coca Cola thread. But I guess you guys Dan and Robert louis would hunt me down and kill me....
Like a pack of lions hunt a little baby antelope...
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
http://25.media.tumblr.com/0eb8a078804872b81ccdd62496cc29a9/tumblr_mja5lom7UQ1rbalzco1_250.gif
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR2uy1uoS2LE3Qoq2gOn-phe1UBYGQvfjWqmFkRsqBkEtBMgFMc

I find Islay malts, and Laphroaig in particular, just remind me of ...
LOL!
The first time I had a peated malt was the Bowmore. They were selling it at reduced price but at the time, I counted my dough quite a bit more. It was something like $40. When I got home and tasted it, I felt I had thrown the money out the window. I was so pissed! How could anyone make such a disgusting stuff and sell it? It was beyond me and I was beyond myself... But by the end of the bottle, I was hooked. Later on, I bought my first bottle of Ardbeg and, tasting it quietly, I drank the whole bottle in one afternoon and was sooo drunk when my gf arrived that she was completely outraged... But I was soooo happy!

Prospero
07-12-2013, 07:08 PM
I re-iterate for me Laphroig tops them all... but I have not sampled that many as yet. When I'm in Montreal I'll drink my way through your collection Dan

danthepoetman
07-12-2013, 07:15 PM
For anyone who's interrested in the process by which Scotch Whisky is made, I won't explain it to you, I'll try to show you...

danthepoetman
07-12-2013, 07:17 PM
I re-iterate for me Laphroig tops them all... but I have not sampled that many as yet. When I'm in Montreal I'll drink my way through your collection Dan
Oh! you can definitely count on me for that, Prospero!

Prospero
07-12-2013, 07:17 PM
spare us the science Dan... we just want to imbibe it, not study a flow chart...

danthepoetman
07-12-2013, 08:56 PM
spare us the science Dan... we just want to imbibe it, not study a flow chart...
I don’t want to be a big drag, Prospero, and as you know, I much favour imbibition over science, but I think there’s still something that needs to be explained to people who don’t know clearly what this is all about, in order for them to make enlightened choices. First, there is basically two types of whisky, which will make for the different categories by which they are sold on the shelves of stores. The right way to make good whisky is with a pot still. You first take some barley, soak it to create germination, then you soak the malt resulting and make beer with it by adding yeast. Then you proceed with the distillation with the aforementioned pot still. This pot still is a big copper bubble with a relatively long neck in which you put this beer, and out of which the heated alcohol slips to fall off of when cooled. That’s what we call a “malt whisky”.
The other way to produce it is with an industrial still. It’s a conic shaped apparel which can continually produce a distillate. All you have to do is break some cereal, any cereal into flour, soak it and fill your still with the liquid and the damn thing continually produces a tasteless alcohol which for this reason is cheap and low quality. Yuk! We generally call this one “grain whisky”, because it’s made of any kind of cereal, often of several mixed up.

Now the products on the shelves and how to read a label.
First, the label saying “Blended Scotch Whisky”. Some bright guys had the idea, at some point, in order to create some whiskies so inexpensive it would sell easily, to take a little bit of pot still whisky with good taste, and mix it with some tasteless industrial still whisky. That’s what is called blended whisky on the market. A good whisky like the Johnny Walker, for instance, is made out of about 35 to 40% of good, pot still whisky, in this case I think it’s the Talisker, traditionally some Cardhu, if memory serves, and a few others, for its core, and industrial, tasteless grain whisky for the rest. The Chivas Regal, to take the example of another good blend, has a core of around 37% Strathislah, and the rest is junk. Blended whiskies count for approximately 90% of Scotch Whisky sales if not more.

Secondly, what we want to talk about on this thread, the “Single Malt Scotch Whisky”. The single malt is made out of the malt whisky distilled at only one distillery. It can contain several whiskies from several distillations, and even from several, different times, but it will always be whiskies from the same distillery. The age shown on the label (and that also goes for the blends), is the age of the youngest whisky put to in the mix to make it. So in the end, the Single Malt is the equivalent of a “chateau” production in wines; it’s a very particular product created on only one site, that has its own particularities and its own character, and always reflect the particularities of the very region it is made in. I think the sales of Single Malt count for only 5 to 7% of all sales.

The “Vatted Malt” or “Pure Malt”. You don’t see this one as often on labels. It’s not being sold as much as the two previous ones. The pure malt is made of only malt whiskies, but coming from different distilleries. You have someone who would like to enjoy a certain taste, so he mixes a certain number of very good whiskies from different distilleries and create a brand. The Poit Dhubh is an good example of an excellent pure malt. Johnny Walker has also created its own a few years ago: the Green Label.

Then you have the “Pure Grain”, which is made out of industrial whisky, but carefully aged in oak for some years. And some are nice, from what I’ve read.

When you buy a whisky, just read the label. Go for a Single Malt Scotch Whisky. That’s the quality stuff you are looking for.

http://www.lfw.co.uk/acatalog/vPoitDhubh12-LARGE.jpg

__________________________________________________ _____________

KnHd
07-12-2013, 09:10 PM

danthepoetman
07-12-2013, 09:59 PM
Seems nice, KnHd. What is it? I only can see 2011, and as an embotteling date, I assume. This is very particular.

Bowmore is undoubtebly a good whisky. But for some reason, I always have this strange carton after-taste in the mouth no matter what Bowmore I drink, including the Cask Strenght. I don't know why. It might be some of the things I eat regularly. Anyways, Bowmore has produced some outstanding whiskies over the years. I don't know why either, they sometimes stop producing them. One of my favourite whiskies for a while was the Bowmore Darkest, not under production anymore. The Bowmore Dawn (finished in red wine and sold at 50% alcohol) was also a splendid malt, but the Darkest (matured in sherry cask), had a character that was absolutely unique.
http://www.thegreenwellystop.co.uk/whiskyshop/images/uploads/Bowmore/july10-bowmore-darkest-2.jpg
http://www.thegreenwellystop.co.uk/whiskyshop/images/uploads/Bowmore/july10-bowmore-darkest-1.jpg

A legendary Bowmore, seek after by some obsessed fans, is the Black Bowmore, Never had any, but it leaves you to dream.
http://www.thebowbar-sapporo.com/images/Islay/BowmoreBlackBowmore42y4th.jpg
http://www.lfw.co.uk/images/Bowmore_3xblack.jpg

And here, with another out of price dram, a 50 yrs old Macalan.
http://si.wsj.net/public/resources/images/EW-AH361_Collec_DV_20090813174138.jpg

KnHd
07-12-2013, 10:13 PM
Its a 19 year old Rich Oak.

danthepoetman
07-12-2013, 10:31 PM
Its a 19 year old Rich Oak.
Tantalizing!

danthepoetman
07-12-2013, 11:21 PM
Good old Homer...

Ecstatic
07-12-2013, 11:24 PM
I've had the Darkest Bowmore, but never the Black, nor the Macallan 50 year old. One can dream!

Hmm, time to crack a bottle tonight. Shall it be Dallas Dhu? Lagavulin? I've got a few more on the shelf, have to take a look.

danthepoetman
07-12-2013, 11:27 PM
I've had the Darkest Bowmore, but never the Black, nor the Macallan 50 year old. One can dream!

Hmm, time to crack a bottle tonight. Shall it be Dallas Dhu? Lagavulin? I've got a few more on the shelf, have to take a look.
Tonight, I'll go with the nice, fresh, well balanced and unexpensive Glenlivet 12. For me, it's pretty much a standard, the basic one. And I find that the quality-price ratio on the Glenlivet is outstanding.
Of course, this is always preferable, but a bit pricier...

robertlouis
07-13-2013, 05:35 AM
Tonight, I'll go with the nice, fresh, well balanced and unexpensive Glenlivet 12. For me, it's pretty much a standard, the basic one. And I find that the quality-price ratio on the Glenlivet is outstanding.

Absolutely Dan. For a basic malt, The Glenlivet is outstanding - and well worthy of that "THE". There are depths of darkness and mystery within that shouldn't be present in a 12 year old whisky. I particularly love that bitter marmalade finish.

danthepoetman
07-13-2013, 08:58 AM
Absolutely Dan. For a basic malt, The Glenlivet is outstanding - and well worthy of that "THE". There are depths of darkness and mystery within that shouldn't be present in a 12 year old whisky. I particularly love that bitter marmalade finish.
It's a wonderful whisky. And as you get older it gains so much in complexity. Marvelous to explore. And their finish remains delicate with years: the French Oak at 15, the so peachy 18, the subtle cinamon tones of the Archive -I had a few experiences nearing mystical highs with this one...

__________________________________________________ ______________

Prospero
07-13-2013, 09:01 AM
Good morning Dan

robertlouis
07-13-2013, 09:02 AM
It's a wonderful whisky. And as you get older it gains so much in complexity. Marvelous to explore. And their finish remains delicate with years: the French Oak at 15, the so peachy 18, the subtle cinamon tones of the Archive -I had a few experiences nearing mystical highs with this one...

__________________________________________________ ______________

A friend of mine used to be head of marketing for The Glenlivet. Good times, what I can remember of them!

danthepoetman
07-13-2013, 09:57 AM
Good morning Dan
Hi! Prospero!!

__________________________________________________ ___________

buttslinger
07-13-2013, 02:58 PM
Don't forget, if you drink, don't drive. Unless you're away from your home.

danthepoetman
07-13-2013, 11:16 PM
Starting young.
I personaly fell in it when I was young...

dderek123
07-14-2013, 12:20 AM
Had some Glenmorangie The Original last night with a good friend of mine. He never tried single malt scotch before and was really impressed.

Glenmorangie is a great for gifting to newbies.

Merkurie
07-14-2013, 01:10 AM
When you are ready for the real thing reach for Oban
http://www.singlemaltsdirect.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/o/b/oban14_20cl.jpg.jpg

Full Peat, full smoke and rich.

http://scotchaddict.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/20090202-nuainq15t24rqh1atshifpbu4c.jpg

danthepoetman
07-14-2013, 01:12 AM
Had some Glenmorangie The Original last night with a good friend of mine. He never tried single malt scotch before and was really impressed.

Glenmorangie is a great for gifting to newbies.

Yes, absolutely, Derek, because it's so delicate and buttery, the spices and smoke are pretty faint in the back; it's the perfect dram to start with...

Yeah! Merkurie, Oban is really nice. A good balance of several tendencies; not quite an island malt but not either the very sympathetic type of land whisky; something just well balanced between sea breeze and malt... I love it too...

danthepoetman
07-14-2013, 08:49 PM
Bonne fête nationale à tous les Français qui apprécient le seul bon whisky: celui d'Écosse, fait de bon malt au pot still!

danthepoetman
07-14-2013, 09:15 PM
http://www.mapsofworld.com/images/world-countries-flags/france-flag.gif
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/10/Flag_of_Scotland.svg
Bonne fête nationale à tous les Français qui apprécient le seul bon whisky: celui d'Écosse, fait de bon malt au pot still!

danthepoetman
07-18-2013, 12:58 PM
Against it None Can Prevail
J. P. McCondach, 1983

It’s a powerfull solace for a man, the whisky…
Indeed it is a creature of infinite capacity…
There is nothing it cannot do. It warms the blood against
the chittering wind and refreshes you exhausted in the heat.
It can make you ill and yet it is a sovereign medecine in
sickness. It can exalt, so that a man sits with the so-called
immortals, careless of his kind, master for a time of his own
servile destiny. It can depress and humble him to crawl in the
excrement of his own miserable bowels of self-compassion. It
can sharpen a man’s awareness of the world outside him and
of the specious prospects within him; and it can dull his
senses and his wits, equating him with the wormy clod
he is in fact. Without doubt it is an unpredictable,
multi-consequential intoxicant, imbuing its partakers with
manifold desires and proclivities: some to sleep and some to
bestir themselves; some to preach and some to blaspheme their
imagined creator; some to meditate and some to fornicate.
Much abused by its addicts and its traducers alike, it is a
complicate simple, the whisky, pure in essence but diverse in
effects; and against it none can prevail.

robertlouis
07-19-2013, 04:17 AM
This is a poem by Robert Burns. It was written in 1785.

It is part of Burns mythology that Burns liked a drink or three, although this may be used as an excuse for those holding Burns suppers to do likewise. Whether this is true or no what is undeniable is that Burns saw Scotch whisky as holding a special symbolic and fiscal significance for Scotland.

This poem, when read in alignment with The Author's Earnest Cry shows not only Burns regard for whisky, but the future excise man's disdain for London's taxation on Scotland's national drink.

Scotch Drink

Let other poets raise a fracas
"Bout vines, an' wines, an' drucken Bacchus,
An' crabbit names an'stories wrack us,
An' grate our lug:
I sing the juice Scotch bear can mak us,
In glass or jug.

O thou, my muse! guid auld Scotch drink!
Whether thro' wimplin worms thou jink,
Or, richly brown, ream owre the brink,
In glorious faem,
Inspire me, till I lisp an' wink,
To sing thy name!

Let husky wheat the haughs adorn,
An' aits set up their awnie horn,
An' pease and beans, at e'en or morn,
Perfume the plain:
Leeze me on thee, John Barleycorn,
Thou king o' grain!

On thee aft Scotland chows her cood,
In souple scones, the wale o'food!
Or tumblin in the boiling flood
Wi' kail an' beef;
But when thou pours thy strong heart's blood,
There thou shines chief.

Food fills the wame, an' keeps us leevin;
Tho' life's a gift no worth receivin,
When heavy-dragg'd wi' pine an' grievin;
But, oil'd by thee,
The wheels o' life gae down-hill, scrievin,
Wi' rattlin glee.

Thou clears the head o'doited Lear;
Thou cheers ahe heart o' drooping Care;
Thou strings the nerves o' Labour sair,
At's weary toil;
Though even brightens dark Despair
Wi' gloomy smile.

Aft, clad in massy siller weed,
Wi' gentles thou erects thy head;
Yet, humbly kind in time o' need,
The poor man's wine;
His weep drap parritch, or his bread,
Thou kitchens fine.

Thou art the life o' public haunts;
But thee, what were our fairs and rants?
Ev'n godly meetings o' the saunts,
By thee inspired,
When gaping they besiege the tents,
Are doubly fir'd.

That merry night we get the corn in,
O sweetly, then, thou reams the horn in!
Or reekin on a New-year mornin
In cog or bicker,
An' just a wee drap sp'ritual burn in,
An' gusty sucker!

When Vulcan gies his bellows breath,
An' ploughmen gather wi' their graith,
O rare! to see thee fizz an freath
I' th' luggit caup!
Then Burnewin comes on like death
At every chap.

Nae mercy then, for airn or steel;
The brawnie, banie, ploughman chiel,
Brings hard owrehip, wi' sturdy wheel,
The strong forehammer,
Till block an' studdie ring an reel,
Wi' dinsome clamour.

When skirling weanies see the light,
Though maks the gossips clatter bright,
How fumblin' cuiffs their dearies slight;
Wae worth the name!
Nae howdie gets a social night,
Or plack frae them.

When neibors anger at a plea,
An' just as wud as wud can be,
How easy can the barley brie
Cement the quarrel!
It's aye the cheapest lawyer's fee,
To taste the barrel.

Alake! that e'er my muse has reason,
To wyte her countrymen wi' treason!
But mony daily weet their weason
Wi' liquors nice,
An' hardly, in a winter season,
E'er Spier her price.

Wae worth that brandy, burnin trash!
Fell source o' mony a pain an' brash!
Twins mony a poor, doylt, drucken hash,
O' half his days;
An' sends, beside, auld Scotland's cash
To her warst faes.

Ye Scots, wha wish auld Scotland well!
Ye chief, to you my tale I tell,
Poor, plackless devils like mysel'!
It sets you ill,
Wi' bitter, dearthfu' wines to mell,
Or foreign gill.

May gravels round his blather wrench,
An' gouts torment him, inch by inch,
What twists his gruntle wi' a glunch
O' sour disdain,
Out owre a glass o' whisky-punch
Wi' honest men!

O Whisky! soul o' plays and pranks!
Accept a bardie's gratfu' thanks!
When wanting thee, what tuneless cranks
Are my poor verses!
Thou comes - they rattle in their ranks,
At ither's arses!

Thee, Ferintosh! O sadly lost!
Scotland lament frae coast to coast!
Now colic grips, an' barkin hoast
May kill us a';
For loyal Forbes' charter'd boast
Is ta'en awa?

Thae curst horse-leeches o' the' Excise,
Wha mak the whisky stells their prize!
Haud up thy han', Deil! ance, twice, thrice!
There, seize the blinkers!
An' bake them up in brunstane pies
For poor damn'd drinkers.

Fortune! if thou'll but gie me still
Hale breeks, a scone, an' whisky gill,
An' rowth o' rhyme to rave at will,
Tak a' the rest,
An' deal't about as thy blind skill
Directs thee best.

Cedricbi01
07-19-2013, 11:43 AM
Starting young.
I personaly fell in it when I was young...

Dan... you mentionned THE one I do prefer !
I hope I will not shock the real connoisseurs...

Cardhu !

Cedricbi01
07-19-2013, 11:45 AM
...and by the way : BEAUTIFUL pics of Scotland up there !

jimme747
08-01-2013, 09:32 PM
Ach Aye, Uisgue Beate, "water of life".
Got my hands on a nice Irish blend "Midleton" by John Jameson.

Ducking awesome.

Cheers J.

Gillian
08-01-2013, 10:15 PM
Speaking as a Scotsman, can I just say that I can't fucking stand Robert Burns ... :D

robertlouis
08-02-2013, 05:21 AM
Speaking as a Scotsman, can I just say that I can't fucking stand Robert Burns ... :D

The poetry, the hype, or the myth?

Come on, you knew I'd ask! :dancing:

Prospero
08-02-2013, 07:18 AM
The poetry is hard if you can't read past the dialect IMHO... the hype is irritating... but the man is, clearly, a giant in the literary world. (Almost as good a poet as Rod McKuen:party:)

crystalcity
08-02-2013, 04:40 PM
My current favorite is Longmorn 16year.

yourdaddy
08-02-2013, 05:07 PM
Talisker bites back. If you're going to mix anything with single malt whiskey (and Robert Burns did) then do it with something that overpowers the sweet.

robertlouis
08-03-2013, 01:13 AM
Talisker bites back. If you're going to mix anything with single malt whiskey (and Robert Burns did) then do it with something that overpowers the sweet.

With the exception of Ireland's excellent Bushmills, no single malt is spelled "whiskey".

It's "whisky", dammit.

Prospero
08-04-2013, 10:19 AM
Lou Reed The Power Of Positive Drinking (HQ) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b23LYHxt1J8)

an unexpected paean of praise to Scotch from Lou

irvin66
08-04-2013, 12:54 PM
I am very fond of whiskey, especially single malt but I'm probably an amateur on that area. :ignore:

Prospero
08-04-2013, 01:19 PM
Single malt WHISKY Not WhiskEy

irvin66
08-06-2013, 08:56 PM
Sorry WHISKY!

robertlouis
08-08-2013, 03:05 AM
WHISKY!!!

Get it right for fuck's sake.

Thank you.

That is all.