PDA

View Full Version : Wimbledon 2013

robertlouis
06-21-2013, 05:15 AM
Women's singles: can't see past Serena unless she blows up. In terms of power, focus, consistency and quality she's playing the best women's tennis I've ever seen. Not as good to watch as Navratilova or Graf at their peaks, but playing the game at a level beyond the capability of the rest.

Men's singles: It's anyone's. Federer, Djokovic, Nadal and Murray are all capable of doing it. Rafa is clearly a man on a mission, desperate to win again before his knees finally pack in, Roger is, well, Roger, the best male tennis player of them all, and still capable at 31 of lifting the game through sheer artistry. I'd change sex and have his babies if I could have his topspin backhand...

Then Novak and Andy, great friends, great rivals. Murray's rest over the French might work in his favour, Djokovic still smarting from his ultimately tame surrender in what was still a terrific final in the French.

Of course I'd like Murray to do it, but I'm not going to jinx him.

Anyway, it's my favourite two weeks of sport in the year. Hope it's great.

Prospero
06-21-2013, 07:02 AM
Murray for me.... and I see no-one getting the better of Serena now.
For a glimpse of her off court there is a Thai restaurant in Wimbledon where she and sis Venus often eat during the fortnight.

robertlouis
06-21-2013, 02:00 PM
Murray for me.... and I see no-one getting the better of Serena now.
For a glimpse of her off court there is a Thai restaurant in Wimbledon where she and sis Venus often eat during the fortnight.

I've seen recent pics of Serena with her hair straightened and she looks pretty damn foxy. And Venus has a stunning body.

And for all the twat critics of her, would you honestly prefer to see two grunting, screaming, identikit blondes in a dull war of attrition (of course you would, this is Hung Angels after all! :dancing: ) or see a supreme talent at the very top of her game outplaying and outsmarting everyone else? Serena for me too.

As for the men, I still think it's up for grabs. Just heard the draw which means that, all being well, Murray will face Tsonga rather than Nadal at the quarter final stage, while Nadal and Federer would have to play each other.

Meanwhile everyone, myself included, ignores the doubles, which in terms of tactics and variety tend to be infinitely more entertaining than the singles. At least the BBC's new coverage approach means that you'll be able to see plenty of doubles too. Again, here's to a great fortnight.

Prospero
06-21-2013, 02:03 PM
Serena grunts pretty well too. Don't recall the girls doing this at all until about six or seven years ago... And why don't men do it too?

robertlouis
06-21-2013, 02:53 PM
Serena grunts pretty well too. Don't recall the girls doing this at all until about six or seven years ago... And why don't men do it too?

But not on every bloody shot.

And I've played tennis virtually all my life and have never heard a woman grunt or scream.

Except one memorable evening in the car park of my local club up in Scotland.... :dancing: :fuckin:

robertlouis
06-25-2013, 01:18 AM
Day One over, pretty routine, but.....out goes Nadal - again, and one round earlier than last year.

Easy to apply the wisdom of hindsight, but it seemed reasonable to anticipate a good run for him after his amazing form since returning from long-term injury in February.

However, he's played next to no tennis on grass, and it's so different to European clay - faster and more strenuous on all the leg muscles. It's sad, but we should be contemplating tennis life after Rafa.

Federer and Murray both through in easy straight set wins, best match of the day was Lleyton Hewitt's straight set win over Stanislav Wawrinka.

And no rain. So far.....

Stavros
06-25-2013, 10:47 AM
The key point in the men's game is that the 'Big Four' dominate because most of the time nobody else can beat them except each other, viz David Ferrer in Paris. Federer retains his aura, but these days the litmus test is not can anyone beat Federer, but can Federer beat Murray or Djokovic -? It is possible, the weather might play a bigger role this year.

robertlouis
06-26-2013, 01:27 AM
The key point in the men's game is that the 'Big Four' dominate because most of the time nobody else can beat them except each other, viz David Ferrer in Paris. Federer retains his aura, but these days the litmus test is not can anyone beat Federer, but can Federer beat Murray or Djokovic -? It is possible, the weather might play a bigger role this year.

In which case it's good for Murray. As a Scot he knows more about rain that all the others. A puckle dreich days and he'll be fine.

youngblood61
06-26-2013, 01:35 AM
With Nadal gone I like Federer.:)

Stavros
06-26-2013, 11:47 PM
An astonishing day at Wimbledon -seven plays withdraw owing to injury and Federer loses to a Russian nobody has ever heard of. The noise made by Sharapova as she went to defeat was surely unacceptable, I know the girls squeal a lot but the two of them went beyond anything remotely normal and even sounded to me like one was making the other scream even louder. Federer has dropped sets before but this time his ability to ride it out and impose himself on the game failed, and I think he lost it psychologically as much as with the opponent coming to the net more often than he is used to.
Djokovic and Murray must now be certain to be in the final -barring any more major upsets...

Prospero
06-26-2013, 11:51 PM
Two major upsets already - so I would not assume a Murray-Djokovic final... the Federer defeat was remarkable. A moment of tennis history.

youngblood61
06-29-2013, 09:48 AM
Who wins this year? So many of the favorites have been knocked out. Serena and Djokovic seem to be the favorites.

Quiet Reflections
06-30-2013, 12:28 AM
I would love to see Sloane Stephens win

broncofan
06-30-2013, 04:00 AM
I have been watching. Love Del Potro's strong game but have trouble seeing him beat Djokovic or Murray unless he's playing lights out.

As for grunting. I've played competitive tennis much of my life. While I understand grunting to get a rhythm or to time one's breathing it is unnecessary. In the case of some of the women players it's actually senseless. I don't know if it's gamesmanship or what but I don't get it.

I'm not getting too creative here when I say my picks are Djokovic and Williams!

youngblood61
07-01-2013, 06:52 PM
Well now, Serena is gone!

Prospero
07-01-2013, 06:53 PM
All the expected great names have gone - bar Djokovich.... and maybe Andy Murray. But the women's singles outcome is now wholly unpredictable.

Ananke
07-01-2013, 07:35 PM
Men not grunting? Can you not remember Jimmy Connors? Nadal is not doing to bad either....I thought.
Anyway, I think we should boycott the "grunting" matches!

Ananke
07-01-2013, 07:39 PM
Newcomer Flipkens...good looking girl!

broncofan
07-01-2013, 07:51 PM
I'm not trying to pick on the women but a few have some elongated grunts, where their grunts are still going when the other player is about to hit. Sharapova also grunts when she's serving, which I don't think is all that common. I remember Monica Seles had a two syllable grunt back in the day so maybe it's not that unusual.

Anyhow, my safe pick for the women's draw just got knocked out. Good play by Lisicki.

Stavros
07-01-2013, 08:11 PM
All the expected great names have gone - bar Djokovich.... and maybe Andy Murray. But the women's singles outcome is now wholly unpredictable.

Not sure, I think it is because Serena has been playing so well and makes the other players look dull by comparison. After all, Petra Kvitova is the winner from 2011; Marion Bartoli was the beaten finalist in 2007 and is French No 1; Agnieszka Radwanska is 4th seed, Li Na has been in the Quarter Finals 3 times, and Sloan Stephens is the latest prospect from the US. Kvitova to me is a boring player, but there is no reason why she should not go all the way, Li Na may be due a grand slam win following her victory in Australia a few years ago...I think those four are in the semi finals but I don't know much about the others.

robertlouis
07-05-2013, 07:10 AM
So, Marion Bartoli versus Sabine Lisicki in the women's final.

Wonder what the odds were on that outcome a fortnight ago?

Bartoli has played her usual efficient, if personally eccentric, tennis to get this far. Lisicki, on the other hand, seems to be a woman on a mission, the conqueror of the seemingly invincible Serena, and her win over Radzanska yesterday was gutsy, inspirational and a tremendous demonstration of good, physical tennis.

I favour Lisicki, but this year of all years, you never know.

Now today, it's Djokovic against Del Potro and Murray against Janowicz. It points to a final between the top two seeds, but again, in this Wimbledon of shocks and surprises, who knows?

Oh, and as always, the doubles has been three times as entertaining as the singles, and twice as exciting, and this year at last, the BBC are showing plenty of it via the red button and the website.

starkem
07-05-2013, 06:06 PM
I saw the men's tournament a little. Don't tell me I missed most the women's tournament....and missed Serena too. Ah man!

flabbybody
07-05-2013, 11:39 PM
I'm rooting for the little French girl in finals.... love the way she bounces around and swings her racket in the air between points. Her dad committed his whole life to her career even though he's no longer her coach.

robertlouis
07-06-2013, 12:20 AM
At least the men's final will be between the top two players this year.

Anyone's game. The Djokovic v del Potro semi was about as good as tennis gets. Murray had to dig deep but came through in four.

It's been a good Wimbledon.

Come on Andy!

Prospero
07-06-2013, 12:57 AM
what an astonishing days tennis today. Fantastic matches - especially del potro and Djokovic.

TSBootyLondon
07-06-2013, 10:55 AM
I have not caught any of the tennis this year! :-( I am quite sad about that as I LOVE chilling and watching the games.... Its one of the only physical sports that I enjoy, the rest of my devotion goes to F1 and the moto GP (Bit of a pertol head at heart lol)

I feel stupid that I have to google how well anyone is doing!

Prospero
07-06-2013, 11:23 AM
F1 i the most boring sport in the world iMHO... I spent a terrible day once at Bahrain's F1 circuit with Michael Schumacher... nice guy (we were filming him) but what a dull day listening to all the cars roaring pst for hours. Jeez

youngblood61
07-06-2013, 05:35 PM
Been a great Wimbledon!

Prospero
07-06-2013, 05:36 PM
Tomorrow will be fantastic

robertlouis
07-07-2013, 06:17 AM
Tomorrow will be fantastic

Let's hope so - firstly that it's a match to grace the occasion, and secondly that it will end a 77 year wait.

Come on Andy!

Prospero
07-07-2013, 07:14 AM
Would he be the first Scot of either gender to be a Wimbledon winner?

youngblood61
07-07-2013, 07:47 AM
I'm rooting for Murray but Djokovic really is fantastic!

robertlouis
07-07-2013, 07:53 AM

Probably, although the annals do go back to the 1880s.

Wonder if there's ever been a transsexual winner? :dancing:

Prospero
07-07-2013, 07:59 AM
Not yet I suspect... but sure hope there will be one day.

robertlouis
07-07-2013, 08:01 AM

Oops, I forgot - of course not.

Depends on definition of course, but his brother Jamie won the mixed doubles title there in 2007 partnering Serbia's Jelena Jankovic.

Prospero
07-07-2013, 06:40 PM
Murray !!!!!! Yes

broncofan
07-07-2013, 07:34 PM
Murray !!!!!! Yes
Yes, what a disappointing day for tennis. Just kidding. Well done to Andy!

TSBootyLondon
07-07-2013, 07:43 PM
I watched and in agreement. He's a great player and deserves it!

I am gutted that this years Wimbledon has passed me by

Murray !!!!!! Yes

Prospero
07-07-2013, 08:14 PM
but what about F1 afterwards...surely you watched that bella?

youngblood61
07-07-2013, 10:03 PM
Congrats to Andy Murray!

robertlouis
07-08-2013, 02:39 AM
I've been waiting all my life for this day.

Well done.

Now you're British, Andy. ;)

youngblood61
07-08-2013, 03:38 AM
I've been waiting all my life for this day.

Well done.

Now you're British, Andy. ;)Been a long time coming, 77yrs!

robertlouis
07-08-2013, 03:42 AM
Been a long time coming, 77yrs!

Yep.

Just imagine not having sex for that long! :(

robertlouis
07-08-2013, 03:48 AM
It was a terrific match, and Murray played a great tactical game by taking the game to Djokovic pretty well all through. Not as good as the Djokovic vs del Potro semifinal from the purist's perspective, and Novak didn't play consistently as well as he can, but we were definitely watching the two best players on the planet right now, who clearly share the philosophy that on a tennis court every ball is worth chasing.

But the occasion made it unforgettable, probably the sporting moment of the year. In that grinding, anxious final game, the whole country was playing every stroke. And Murray coped with the ludicrous weight of expectation better than any of his predecessors.

Proud day to be a British tennis fan, but to be a fellow Scot feels really special.

Prospero
07-08-2013, 07:07 AM
I just cannot imagine how they played such fine tennis for so long in that heat. And Djokovic was hugely gracious in defeat. What a magnificent afternoon now we need a woman champ.

youngblood61
07-08-2013, 02:56 PM
yep.

Just imagine not having sex for that long! :(nooooooo!

robertlouis
07-08-2013, 09:01 PM
Murray has donated both his Wimbledon prize money and his Queen's Club winnings to charity.

That's $US 3,000,000. And they say Scots are mean.

TSBootyLondon
07-08-2013, 11:42 PM
I think that that was such an admiral thing to do. Not that it matters but I wonder what his chosen cause was

xx

Murray has donated both his Wimbledon prize money and his Queen's Club winnings to charity.

Prospero
07-09-2013, 12:29 AM
Amazing. I missed that. What a great guy!

flabbybody
07-09-2013, 07:32 PM

I've never considered Murray to be in the category of a Federer or Tiger as far a money earners are concerned... maybe he is . But regardless, it's a hugely generous gesture. In the US media they're reporting he'll never have to pay for a pint at any pub in the British Empire for the rest of his life ( too bad for Murray it shrank so much in the last 150 years)

Prospero
07-09-2013, 08:22 PM
I never pay for beer in the British Empire either Flabby... it ended before i was toddling

TSBootyLondon
07-10-2013, 12:16 AM
apparently 77 years since the last british winner, and he bought it home on the 7th of the 7th of an unlucky year!

Good for him regardless he so deserved it xx

Prospero
07-10-2013, 12:18 AM
Correction. Since the last MALE winner. Don't forget Virginia Wade

robertlouis
07-10-2013, 02:14 PM
Correction. Since the last MALE winner. Don't forget Virginia Wade

And if we're being pernickety, don't forget Angela Mortimer (1961) whose opponent was another British woman, Christine Trueman, and Anne Jones in 1969.

I'm a tennis geek. :geek:

flabbybody
08-16-2013, 01:06 AM
I'm rooting for the little French girl in finals.... love the way she bounces around and swings her racket in the air between points. Her dad committed his whole life to her career even though he's no longer her coach.
Marion Bartoli announced today that she's quitting competitive tennis.
Bon Chance Marion. You're a great champion. I enjoyed watching you play at the highest level of the game

flabbybody
08-29-2013, 12:22 AM
just kidding ! I totally fell for it.
Marion is skipping the US Open and getting ready for 2014.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/aug/26/tennis-marion-bartoli-hints-at-comeback

flabbybody
07-09-2016, 05:13 PM
Thoughts and prayers with Marion as she fights a strange virus threatening her life.
http://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/36735499

Stavros
07-10-2016, 12:52 PM
Thoughts and prayers with Marion as she fights a strange virus threatening her life.
http://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/36735499

A strange virus indeed, one that no other visitor to India has fallen victim to, even 'the doctors' don't know what it is, yet I doubt Marion was doing things or going places in India no other European has ever done or been to. I was delighted when she won the Wimbledon title in 2013, but it is also the case that she has had personal problems (don't we all?), a 'difficult dad' (like Steffi Graff), and was humiliated by a BBC commentator called John Inverdale who made disparaging remarks about her 'never going to be a looker' using Maria Sharapova as the benchmark of female desirability. It is also odd that she is now claiming this is a virus when in the 18 months after that Wimbledon she not only lost two and a half stone (35 pounds) but claimed it was due to a gluten-free diet, a new exercise regime, yoga and so on. While we do not know the whole of the truth, we can only hope that Marion finds a way back to becoming whole again.