PDA

View Full Version : Have you seen this documentary about Indonesian Transsexuals?

AllanahStarrNYC
06-14-2013, 04:10 AM
Pretty Fascinating

Indonesia's Transsexual Muslims (Documentary) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJTzMHDaOlg&NR=1&feature=endscreen)

rjshemalelover
06-14-2013, 04:37 AM
I think my girlfriend watched that. They posted the youtube link in a TS Group she is part of on FB

danthepoetman
06-14-2013, 04:49 AM
Beautiful little documentary, Allanah!
Tough gets obviously even tougher elsewhere, doesn't it? It's amazing the courage these women have. Very compelling! Very beautiful!

starkem
06-14-2013, 06:44 AM
Interesting.

MacShreach
06-14-2013, 11:40 AM
I tried, some time ago.

alyssaluxor
06-14-2013, 03:49 PM
I love my Indonesian Trans friends :)

robertlouis
06-14-2013, 04:04 PM
I love my Indonesian Trans friends :)

And we love you Alyssa. It would be lovely to see you in Europe one day.

danthepoetman
06-14-2013, 04:13 PM
I'm speaking with a cute transvestite from Indonesia on a social media, from time to time. Very pretty, very bright, nice and charming. She dislikes to be called a waria. She just want to fill a particular sense of aesthetic that she entertains. Yet, she's so incredibly feminine! And naturally feminine. I don't know what to make of it. Is it social pressure (which is obviously enormous) or a simple individual choice? I couldn't tell. She's obviously not in the situation the girls from the documentary are, and I suppose that she could be, would she start transitioning. The pressure is so great in the Western world, but out there, it must be incredible!

dderek123
06-14-2013, 04:41 PM
Very nice doc. I really like Vice. I think they found a niche in journalism that's really interesting. It's kinda like the gonzo thing that hunter S used to do.

AllanahStarrNYC
06-14-2013, 08:08 PM
I though it interesting that though they live in a mostly Muslim country, they have considerable freedoms and a strong sense of community compared to other Muslim and many non Muslin countries worldwide. However, the differences, ages, and lives of the profiled women resonated a universal chord in the transsexual experience.

I believe that our life condition forces all transsexuals to face basic universal issues, but how we learn to adapt in different cultures and deal with the given social pressure is the biggest challenge that shapes us.

Take Iran for example: Iran calls for death of homosexuals but allows gender surgery to transsexuals and welcomes them religiously (theoretically), but socially they are not for the most part accepted.

When I watched the documentary of Iranian transsexuals, I could not help wonder if some of the women underwent SRS in order to avoid a further pursecution and have an chance at a normal existence in Iran. In the end, it seemed they became another marginalized group mostly having to do sex work to survive, still remaining out of bounds in Iranian society.

I loved the Indonesian documentary because even with the faced poverty and all of the issues, it was a very empowering message. Defiance to remain religious when you are shunned religiously for you who you are still remains pretty radical in very religious countries. I am not a religious person but I have high faith in the power of self, and I thought this was highly demonstrative of that.

If you wish to see the Iranian transsexual documentary, and it is very, very interesting, you can find all parts here:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x85uj0_documentary-transsexuals-in-iran-pa_gaylesbian#.UbtQmJyYLt8

youngblood61
06-14-2013, 08:14 PM
We love you Alyssa!:)

alyssaluxor
06-15-2013, 01:54 PM
And we love you Alyssa. It would be lovely to see you in Europe one day.

Owww youre so sweet Papi love you also kisses

alyssaluxor
06-15-2013, 01:55 PM
We love you Alyssa!:)

love you too my dear kisses!

alyssaluxor
06-15-2013, 01:56 PM
Ive been to Indonesia Jakarta and Bali and theres so many trans girls there. You can see them everywhere

In Malaysia most transgirls who are out are Malay Muslims.

starkem
06-15-2013, 05:51 PM
Sexual identification and gender identification have existed for as long as communal society was necessitated. The so-called normalcy and heterosexuality are integral to that community in terms of social imperatives for procreation.

In those terms, anything not conforming to this paradigm is deemed worthy of marginalization. The lady in the documentary was an exceptional person because in spite of this rejection, she strives to be a parent to an adopted child and a Muslim. She is not accepted in this regard on either level, but she is empowering herself and inspiring.

The friends, admirers and supporters of a TG community learn to appreciate this struggle and develop a consideration of this difference. Being "accepted" is not the key to this societal harmony -even among the most incredibly intolerable society conditions in Muslim and other strict countries, it would be recognizable that acceptance is derived from within and community is not limited to straight people. Ironically, in some of the more "free-thinking" societies there is an internal divisiveness and pettiness amongst the LGBT community that makes this hard to achieve. Further, discussion of these issues in forums like these are usurped by "sexual desire" threads. (smile)

But it is what it is as I am also guilty of these things. People are easily led to their difficulties and hard to herd to their ease -even when we know it is unjust to someone. (shrugs)

starkem
06-15-2013, 06:01 PM
What I can't believe is that I am attempting to intelligently engage the famous Allanah Starr? Hopefully she doesn't see right through my alterior motive. LOL. It's not every day you get to exchange thoughts with people you are infatuated with.

I should be ashamed of myself. (smile). :party::wiggle::praying:

AllanahStarrNYC
06-15-2013, 07:30 PM
I absolutely adore and welcome anyone giving an intelligent, and well written opinion. Engage ahead!

Yes, I agree. This forum is mainly about sexual topics and wonderfully articulate responses like 'look at them tits' and 'I wish I could suck that cock!' :). Naturally, being in the sex business and a firm supporter of expressing sexuality I have no problem with that. However, I do believe in the arousal of the brain just as much as the genital and there is no real reason why those two cannot come together on here from time to time :).

dderek123
06-15-2013, 07:38 PM
I absolutely adore and welcome anyone giving an intelligent, and well written opinion. Engage ahead!

Yes, I agree. This forum is mainly about sexual topics and wonderfully articulate responses like 'look at them tits' and 'I wish I could suck that cock!' :). Naturally, being in the sex business and a firm supporter of expressing sexuality I have no problem with that. However, I do believe in the arousal of the brain just as much as the genital and there is no real reason why those two cannot come together on here from time to time :).

You give my whole body a boner!

up_for_it
06-15-2013, 07:45 PM
There's also a good one put out by Nat Geo that tells the story of a Thai kickboxer's transition to a lady boy.

AllanahStarrNYC
06-15-2013, 07:49 PM
You give my whole body a boner!

LOL, Now there is ONE I have NEVER heard before!!!!
You should trademark that.

starkem
06-16-2013, 12:31 AM
:iagree: (faints)

starkem
06-16-2013, 12:44 AM
That, too, was a great documentary. I wrote something about this woman in another thread on the topic of mixed martial arts and transgenderism.

There's also a good one put out by Nat Geo that tells the story of a Thai kickboxer's transition to a lady boy.

AllanahStarrNYC
06-16-2013, 01:19 AM
I have not seen that one so I will have to check it out eventually :).

Remember Dr. Renee Richards?

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/01/garden/01renee.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

tskitana
06-17-2013, 03:22 AM
very nice video.

robertlouis
06-17-2013, 03:44 AM
As I understand it the level of tolerance or persecution varies enormously - and we need to remember that Indonesia is a huge country spread across many islands. Interestingly, transgenderism appears to be more accepted in those areas where large numbers of western tourists can be found, with Bali being a prime example.

In places like Djakarta and the other larger cities transsexuals are just as likely to be attacked as other minorities; Indonesia has a particularly poor record of persecution, terrorisation and murder of its Chinese minority. It's a stressful situation altogether, and Indonesia also has more than its fair share of muslim terrorist groups - remember the Bali bomb a few years ago which was planted by local terrorists affiliated to Al Qaeda.

AllanahStarrNYC
06-18-2013, 05:36 AM
As I understand it the level of tolerance or persecution varies enormously - and we need to remember that Indonesia is a huge country spread across many islands. Interestingly, transgenderism appears to be more accepted in those areas where large numbers of western tourists can be found, with Bali being a prime example.

In places like Djakarta and the other larger cities transsexuals are just as likely to be attacked as other minorities; Indonesia has a particularly poor record of persecution, terrorisation and murder of its Chinese minority. It's a stressful situation altogether, and Indonesia also has more than its fair share of muslim terrorist groups - remember the Bali bomb a few years ago which was planted by local terrorists affiliated to Al Qaeda.

Perhaps they migrate to these areas because the majority are sex workers ans street singers?

robertlouis
06-18-2013, 05:42 AM
Perhaps they migrate to these areas because the majority are sex workers ans street singers?

I reckon so, Allanah. What's more, the government turns a blind eye to their otherwise persecuted minorities if they can get foreign exchange dollars out of them. Cynical, moi? :whistle:

AllanahStarrNYC
06-18-2013, 06:13 AM
I suppose most governments work that way, there is no inconvenience when dollars are involved.

robertlouis
06-18-2013, 06:18 AM
I suppose most governments work that way, there is no inconvenience when dollars are involved.

And that doesn't just apply to the far east. They all do it.

BTW, Allanah, the pics on your other thread are simply magnificent!

AllanahStarrNYC
06-18-2013, 06:20 AM
Thanks!!!!