PDA

View Full Version : Mexican Food In The UK

Dino Velvet
06-07-2013, 07:43 AM
Being from LA I'm a big fan of Mexican Food. I like it and it sits in my stomach just right. I could eat it 3-4 times a week.

I know Indian Food is very popular there so you guys are OK with a certain type of spicy. Are there many good Mexican Restaurants/Cantinas in the UK? A big plate of that food would be great on a cold night.

GroobySteven
06-07-2013, 10:34 AM
No - Mexican food is lagging in the UK even though it's one of the new "in" foods, we don't have it like the quality and as popular as in LA.
I made pulled pork tacos last night though which were pretty fucking close to an LA food truck style.

manatarms
06-07-2013, 11:09 AM
In London, there are plenty of places to get a decent burrito. Wahacca is a chain that's good for Mexican cantina style food and apparently authentic, although I have never been to Mexico or the states, so you might think it's all shit. There are a few other nice independent Mexican restaurants around too, though I don't think you are going to find much outside London.

Stavros
06-07-2013, 12:59 PM
The first Mexican food I ate was in a so-called Mexican restaurant on Trinity St in Cambridge, no longer there; how authentic it was I do not know, and I assume the market is just not strong enough to sustain it. A large Mexican place in the west end of London (near Stringfellows) opened to dismal reviews last year or the year before, not sure if it is still there. Wahaca survives because it is apparently a genuinely good restaurant and was the first outlet opened by a winner of the Masterchef competition on tv (Thomasina Meirs). There is a Mexican place in my town that has been there for 20 years which must be a UK record, I have never eaten there. I had a pleasant Mexican lunch in Sausolito a few years ago, and a light lunch is as far as it goes, there is nothing special about Mexican food. The Mediterranean region offers far superior uses of natural ingredients resulting in better food.

tsadriana
06-07-2013, 01:21 PM
I need to try mexican salad:salad:mad:

GroobySteven
06-07-2013, 01:53 PM
In London, there are plenty of places to get a decent burrito. Wahacca is a chain that's good for Mexican cantina style food and apparently authentic, although I have never been to Mexico or the states, so you might think it's all shit. There are a few other nice independent Mexican restaurants around too, though I don't think you are going to find much outside London.

The problem is a decent burrito in London, is nothing like a burrito or taco in Los Angeles which arguably has some of the best Mexican food. Wahacca is great and purports to being street food - but it's expensive (therefore defeating the $1.50 taco!).

The street food/lunch wagon scene in LA is awesome.

Jericho
06-07-2013, 01:54 PM

I think Nikka's volunteering! :ignore:

up_for_it
06-07-2013, 06:40 PM
Yeah, good luck with Mexican food in the UK, or Europe in general. There are some decent places scattered around, but I agree with Seanchai, the burrito is the real insurmountable issue. For my money, I'd rather whip one up with the Old Elpaso kits from the store next door to my apartment than spend three times as much going out and being totally bummed at the result. For me its a comfort food that reminds me of home and has to be done right. Thank God for Indian, whenever I'm in Europe for a long period of time I hit the local spots once a week, it's the best food going in my opinion.

Prospero
06-07-2013, 06:51 PM
Best mexican food I ever had was in New Mexico and other places in the Southwest. (But alsos ome of the worst food - in Navajo restaurants in one horse towns) Never had good mexican food in London (not managed to try Wahaca yet). There are scarcely any Mexicans here so all we get is rubbish like Taco Belle.

It is the poor quality of Mexican cuisine in the UK that provoked the comedian Alexei Sayle to once characterise it as "pre-digested food."

p.s. I want Seanchai to cook for me!

Dino Velvet
06-07-2013, 07:21 PM

That would be a tostada. Girl sure loves her salads.

Dino Velvet
06-07-2013, 07:27 PM
Best mexican food I ever had was in New Mexico and other places in the Southwest. (But alsos ome of the worst food - in Navajo restaurants in one horse towns) Never had good mexican food in London (not managed to try Wahaca yet). There are scarcely any Mexicans here so all we get is rubbish like Taco Belle.

It is the poor quality of Mexican cuisine in the UK that provoked the comedian Alexei Sayle to once characterise it as "pre-digested food."

p.s. I want Seanchai to cook for me!

I lived in Texas for 2 years and also like Tex-Mex. Just about everything I ate had black beans, rice, tortillas, and pico de gallo. This great hippy breakfast joint in the middle of Austin had this egg dish called Migas which I ate often. I make some good Breakfast Tacos with chorizo and corn tortillas too.

I like both the Tex-Mex and the Cali-Mex.

Donkey
06-07-2013, 07:34 PM
Texas, especially Houston, Austin, and San Antonio, has some of the best Mexican food found anywhere -- both Tex-Mex and authentic interior Mexican. L.A. is also a hot spot.

No way in hell I would eat any Mexican food found in the UK.

Dino Velvet
06-07-2013, 07:38 PM

I avoided sushi in Texas.

Donkey
06-07-2013, 07:40 PM
You can get world class sushi in Houston and Austin.

Uchi (Houston, Austin) and Kata Robata (Houston).

Dino Velvet
06-07-2013, 07:47 PM
You can get world class sushi in Houston and Austin.

Uchi (Houston, Austin) and Kata Robata (Houston).

Didn't know that. I missed out. What part of Austin is Uchi in? I lived both north(on 183) and south(south of 71).

Donkey
06-07-2013, 07:57 PM
Uchi Austin is pretty central. It's on S. Lamar just right outside downtown.

Houston's food scene leads the way for the state of TX, but Austin and San Antonio are emerging and getting a lot of attention from the national critics.

GroobySteven
06-07-2013, 07:58 PM
Texas, especially Houston, Austin, and San Antonio, has some of the best Mexican food found anywhere -- both Tex-Mex and authentic interior Mexican. L.A. is also a hot spot.

When were you last in the UK?

Dino Velvet
06-07-2013, 08:05 PM
Uchi Austin is pretty central. It's on S. Lamar just right outside downtown.

Houston's food scene leads the way for the state of TX, but Austin and San Antonio are emerging and getting a lot of attention from the national critics.

South Lamar. Used to work at The Yellow Rose. Still there? Red Rose too?

Absolutely hated working in a topless club. Wasn't good for the big head. Luckily I got fired.

Stavros
06-07-2013, 08:42 PM
That would be a tostada. Girl sure loves her salads.

I think Adriana likes anything tossed. There is a lot of goo in Mexican food....

DCGuy343
06-07-2013, 09:53 PM
The only thing I would question is the beef. Have the cleared up the whole horse meat scandal?

robertlouis
06-07-2013, 10:03 PM
I'd go with the consensus that it's hard to find "good" Mexican food in the UK - remembering that good and authentic aren't necessarily the same thing.

The best Mexican food I've ever had was when a couple of our engineers from the Dallas office who were second generation Mexican Texans took me way out of the city to a little cantina run by the parents of one of them. Only Spanish spoken, a real mariachi band and stunningly good food; as I say, "good", I suspect it was both good AND authentic, but it tasted absolutely wonderful.

buttslinger
06-07-2013, 10:28 PM
It's funny because some of the Mexican food in Mexico isn't that great.

maxpower
06-07-2013, 10:34 PM
Wahacca? Did they not think any Brits would be able to pronounce Oaxaca?

Dino Velvet
06-08-2013, 12:52 AM
Any of you UKers ever think of opening a restaurant? There is lots of profit in Mexican Food. Many of the Happy Hour Buffets here have Mexican Food because it's cheap to put out. Seems the desire and wanting for good Mexican Food is there.

robertlouis
06-08-2013, 02:50 AM
It's funny because some of the Mexican food in Mexico isn't that great.

...which is sort of the point I was making. Something that tastes good may not in fact be authentic.

Dino Velvet
06-08-2013, 02:53 AM
Food in Mexico could be risky and unsanitary. Be careful if you go. You don't want to get sick from something down there.

I'm sure there are fine restaurants too so definitely check around.

sukumvit boy
06-08-2013, 03:22 AM
:party:
Yeah , and pass on the tuna in Tibet!

robertlouis
06-08-2013, 03:25 AM
:party:
Yeah , and pass on the tuna in Tibet!

On that note, anyone else like kimchi?

sukumvit boy
06-08-2013, 03:58 AM
Love it! I have two or three kinds in the refrigerator at all times. That and yogurt for 'good belly'.

Dino Velvet
06-08-2013, 05:28 PM
On that note, anyone else like kimchi?

Heck no. I just eat it to be nice when it's offered. I know this Korean gal who makes the stuff and keeps her Korean stuff in a separate refrigerator.

ImpulZ
06-08-2013, 05:42 PM
why i don't know but i never ever visit a mexican restaurant or take away/delivery express....i love chili con carne and make that self at home.

this company is populair here....some day i take a visit!

http://i40.tinypic.com/iw1469.jpg

Dino Velvet
06-08-2013, 05:52 PM
why i don't know but i never ever visit a mexican restaurant or take away/delivery express....i love chili con carne and make that self at home.

this company is populair here....some day i take a visit!

http://i40.tinypic.com/iw1469.jpg

Get some of those Dutch Tacos.

robertlouis
06-08-2013, 06:05 PM
.i love chili con carne and make that self at home.

Me too, though I tend to make it too hot for most people. And I always add 4 squares of 70% dark chocolate to the mix. Try it.

Get my chillies locally too. There are two great chilli farms close by in Bedfordshire.

LibertyHarkness
06-09-2013, 06:08 PM
had some mexican fajhita salad and bits and bobs hehe .. stuffing my face well :)

Dino Velvet
06-09-2013, 06:42 PM
had some mexican fajhita salad and bits and bobs hehe .. stuffing my face well :)

Where was that, Libby? Never seen a gal look that cute while she was eating too.

I love Fajitas. To hear the sizzle of the platter coming close to your table is the beginning of the fun. Whether they're steak, chicken, or shrimp, fajitas are a winner. Very healthy for Mexican Food too if you don't go crazy with the sour cream and guacamole.

http://www.discovertheultimate.com/wpblog/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/elsegundosol-cpl-12-faj-steam-ltl-gd-rdcd-use-2011-.jpg

chamber7
06-09-2013, 09:29 PM
Like other posters have said Britain and Europe in general doesn't have a large Mexican population like the U.S so Mexican cuisine isn't as widespread although it has been growing in recent years.

I've eaten some Mexican food in the U.S but I've not eaten much over here in the UK so can't really compare.

In London you can find a number of Mexican/Tex-Mex restaurants or street food vendors such as Benito’s Hat, Daddy Donkey, Boho Mexica, Taqueria, Burrito Bros, Lupita, Death by Burrito and Wahaca.

Gillian
06-09-2013, 10:11 PM
Family guy - 6000 Fajitas - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAx5fyUBgNs)

pantic
06-09-2013, 10:13 PM
mexican food? mann yall need to get that jamican food!

Donkey
06-10-2013, 02:24 AM
Shit, these days the southwestern states are nothing but an extension of Mexico. In some parts of Texas you cannot tell any difference between it and Mexico. Love the food, but some of these Mexicans need to go back home.

kmersh
06-10-2013, 02:49 PM
While Chipotle (I call it Mexican McDonalds) is not exactly authentic Mexican it is pretty darn good and I have visited a few of the London locations and it is basically the same as one would find in one of the many US locations.

Dan

LibertyHarkness
06-10-2013, 03:05 PM
that was in a shitty TGI FRidays dino lol was pretty lame for mexican really but was ok .......

GroobySteven
06-10-2013, 03:22 PM
Shit, these days the southwestern states are nothing but an extension of Mexico. In some parts of Texas you cannot tell any difference between it and Mexico. Love the food, but some of these Mexicans need to go back home.

They're already home ... maybe you need to go back home :-)

Dino Velvet
06-10-2013, 05:35 PM
While Chipotle (I call it Mexican McDonalds) is not exactly authentic Mexican it is pretty darn good and I have visited a few of the London locations and it is basically the same as one would find in one of the many US locations.

Dan

I still have never been to a Chipotle. They're opening one up in the Century City Food Court and I'm waiting for that. Heard some good things. Went to Poquito Mas the other day and it was alright.

I used to live in the Palms area and ate at Oaxacan hole in the walls all the time. Great authentic-type tacos with lots of steak and dirt cheap too.

that was in a shitty TGI FRidays dino lol was pretty lame for mexican really but was ok .......

Then you're a good advertisement for the place. Everything looks so festive and appetizing with you there.

http://www.hungangels.com/vboard/attachment.php?attachmentid=588784&stc=1&d=1370794113

Jericho
06-10-2013, 08:30 PM

Oi Harkness, Who ate all the fries!
Would love to share that meal with you!

kmersh
06-10-2013, 09:27 PM
I still have never been to a Chipotle. They're opening one up in the Century City Food Court and I'm waiting for that. Heard some good things. Went to Poquito Mas the other day and it was alright.

I have been to the Hawthorne Chipotle on Rosecrans Ave and it is pretty good, but a bit of warning as it is a franchisee not all locations are created equal.

I have also been to the El Segundo Chipotle on N. Sepulveda near my employer's LA office and it is terrible.

k

robertlouis
06-11-2013, 04:49 AM
Wahacca? Did they not think any Brits would be able to pronounce Oaxaca?

Now Max....

This from the country where they changed the name of "The Madness of George III" to "The Madness of King George" because they thought people would wonder why they hadn't seen Parts 1 and 2? ;)

maxpower
06-11-2013, 06:19 AM
Now Max....

This from the country where they changed the name of "The Madness of George III" to "The Madness of King George" because they thought people would wonder why they hadn't seen Parts 1 and 2? ;)

No, no... that's my point. If someone wanted to open a restaurant in the U.S. called Oaxaca, I would fully expect them to bastardize the spelling, because people would go around saying, "Have you eaten at Oh-axe-a-ca yet?" I was just wondering why the owners would feel it necessary to spell it that way in the U.K. Same reason, I guess. I was trying to give the Brits some credit but maybe it came out wrong.