PDA

View Full Version : LA Beach Scene: where to hang out, and what to hang out

Stavros
05-24-2013, 10:12 PM
Years ago, Venice Beach was hip; I admit that on my trips to LA I have never been there, and one Angelino I met there in 2003 said he went there when he was young because it was fun, but that it had since declined into a seedy place he would not take his children to. I was in Santa Monica by the beach in 1983 but the local bars were full of Australians, which is not something I recommend.

Baywatch and Rock Stars made (I think) Malibu (?) a popular destination; but the truth is I am not much of a beach person, but it seems to be part of the Idea of what LA means to many outsiders.

Where to hang out? And what to hang out?

Willie Escalade
05-24-2013, 10:51 PM
Even I can't answer this question...and I live here!

Cecil Rhodes
05-24-2013, 10:52 PM
Go to OC or Ventura County .

Westheangelino
05-24-2013, 11:01 PM
I live right by the best stretch of Santa Monica beach. I say best because it is far enough from Venice and Malibu to be a locals hang out. So, there aren't the huge crowds of other beaches. I hear Redondo and Hermosa are great if you are young and want to party, and County Line is awesome for surfers.

Dino Velvet
05-24-2013, 11:41 PM
I live right by the best stretch of Santa Monica beach. I say best because it is far enough from Venice and Malibu to be a locals hang out. So, there aren't the huge crowds of other beaches. I hear Redondo and Hermosa are great if you are young and want to party, and County Line is awesome for surfers.

I'm a fan of Santa Monica too. Worked there for years. Like the people and vibe. Manhattan and Hermosa are my favorites and Malibu is pretty nice also. Occasionally I take a drive out to the OC and hang out in Huntington Beach.

My favorite thing to do in Venice Beach is go out to breakfast right on the beach. Other than that and Gold's Gym I'm not much for the rest of Venice Beach.

MdR Dave
05-24-2013, 11:55 PM
Honestly, Venice and SM are so close that you don't have to choose between them. I can walk up the boardwalk from the Marina through Venice and into Santa Monica in less than 30 minutes.

Malibu is different. It's a 16(?) mile stretch of coast- you can't really consider it an "area" in the same sense as other towns -- and it's mostly residential.

Come, stay anywhere you like and let us know. We'll show you a good time.

nevada64
05-25-2013, 08:48 AM
There are so many different neighborhoods here. You could travel the world and not need a passport, nor plane ticket. Be more specific. What do you want to see, experience, etc.?This place is so vast, it can be overwhelming. Sometimes I get overwhelmed just trying to decide where and what to eat. Have fun. Cheers.