PDA

View Full Version : Angelina Jolie has done something extraordinary...

Ben
05-16-2013, 04:25 AM
Angelina Jolie has done something extraordinary

In publicly discussing her double mastectomy, the actor has challenged the celebrity industry to rethink its bizarre values – and she has done all women a huge service:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/may/14/angelina-jolie-double-mastectomy-women

Angelina Jolie's Bold Choice for a Double Mastectomy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGygXwjBmq4

danthepoetman
05-16-2013, 05:04 AM
In the last few years, I had come to dislike her; I felt she had an increasingly contemptuous attitude. But I admit what she did is very humbling on the contrary. Very courageous gesture, not only to undergone the surgery but to come forward and talk about it. It seems like it’s largely opposed to the characters she’s embodied over and over on the screen, and probably opposed to her own intimate values. She’s showing a courage I suspect few people are capable of. And yes, I suspect it will help many women feel much freer to take such a decision themselves…

Bribi
05-16-2013, 07:11 AM
Like said in the article, she's not the first
Unfortunately, she's the first one people talk about because she's more known. And that's a shame.
I won't put her at the rank of goddess or pioneer for something people did before.

runround04
05-16-2013, 07:34 AM
Oh, I thought she gave a shit about a kid in this country by mistake.

flabbybody
05-16-2013, 03:08 PM
Like said in the article, she's not the first
Unfortunately, she's the first one people talk about because she's more known. And that's a shame.
I won't put her at the rank of goddess or pioneer for something people did before.
she is a person with a global media presence and it is precisely her super star status that makes her going public with the decision so vitally important.

Prospero
05-16-2013, 03:12 PM
She deserves terrific respect. Brave in many ways.

Bribi
05-16-2013, 03:45 PM
she is a person with a global media presence and it is precisely her super star status that makes her going public with the decision so vitally important.

And people place her as a heroin, more than anybody else who did it way before.
Why? Because of her name.
It's good publicity for her too, next movie will be a hit, for sure.

Jericho
05-16-2013, 04:04 PM
But I admit what she did is very humbling on the contrary. Very courageous gesture, not only to undergone the surgery but to come forward and talk about it.

I'm not sure it's a courageous gesture to have it done.
Hey, if it needs doing, then, you aint got a lot of choice! :shrug
But yes, to make it public, to talk about it, good on her!

danthepoetman
05-16-2013, 04:52 PM
I guess you're right, Jericho: she probably didn't feel she had much of a choice. But as far as I'm concerned, even with 87% chances, I would not have had it done. I would have taken my chances. I suppose I'm a bit of a wild one, and I'll die somewhere sometimes in the gutter with my mouth open... lol I'm curious to know what proportion of women are doing it in the same circumstances. One thing is certain: by coming out like this, she will give most of them a lot to feed their reflections positively.

amberskyi
05-16-2013, 05:44 PM
I guess you're right, Jericho: she probably didn't feel she had much of a choice. But as far as I'm concerned, even with 87% chances, I would not have had it done. I would have taken my chances. I suppose I'm a bit of a wild one, and I'll die somewhere sometimes in the gutter with my mouth open... lol I'm curious to know what proportion of women are doing it in the same circumstances. One thing is certain: by coming out like this, she will give most of them a lot to feed their reflections positively.

I agree with you,i have an extensive history of cancer in my family but despite knowing thus i still pump my body full of hormones tempting a fate that is already probable.
i think it's always a difficult thing for a woman to do and even harder for one to talk about. Imagine if you guys had to ditch a testicle how many of y'all would publicly come forward with that information?

Ecstatic
05-16-2013, 05:46 PM
Jolie is brave, but more, she's compassionate to use her global stature this way. Kudos to her. With only a 5% chance of NOT getting breast cancer, it was her best and really only choice, but to go public is outstanding.

danthepoetman
05-16-2013, 07:19 PM
I agree with you,i have an extensive history of cancer in my family but despite knowing thus i still pump my body full of hormones tempting a fate that is already probable.
i think it's always a difficult thing for a woman to do and even harder for one to talk about. Imagine if you guys had to ditch a testicle how many of y'all would publicly come forward with that information?
Yes. And in fact, very seldom will youf hear men in general, and even less male movie stars, talk about prostate cancer (or prostate) hyperplasia, which is very common after around 50. And the treatments are often quite radical, including in many cases orchidectomy. I can't remember one of these movie stars ever saying anything about this, and yet many of them are old enough to be affected...

muh_muh
05-16-2013, 09:04 PM
fells to me like theres something decidedly ass backwards and medieval about medicine if cutting off body parts is the only solution they have to offer

Ben
05-17-2013, 04:42 AM
Is Angelina Jolie a Hero Against Cancer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAIkn-ZdYP8