PDA

View Full Version : When sticking to your convictions really counts..

AllanahStarrNYC
05-11-2006, 04:06 AM
Some of you may recall that last year @ here in NYC I was barred entrance from Splash ( a popular gay night club in NYC) because I was transgendered. I was appalled, and took my case to readers here, my website, contacted Splash, and the story was picked up by The New York Post, New York Magazine, and several papers and websites.

There was some debate on this board about my big uproar over the situation. Some claimed it was my damaged ego- others for publicity- the reason being for my being upset. Truth was, that I believed what haeppend to me was wron g and discriminatory.

The case was then picked up by The Transgender Legal Defense Fund and a very high profile Manhattan law firm pro bono. Along the way, two other plaintiffs also joined the suit who alleged similar circmstances.

My purpose for the suit was never to gain any personal monetary gain nor for publicity- but to point out that the human rights ordinance of NYC was being violated. I as a transgendered woman, should have the right to enter ANY public establishment.

I am happy to announce that though the details have not been specified, the case will be settled out of court and Splash has agreed to not EXCLUDE anyone based on gender from any of their nights, comply with the NYC Human Rights Ordinance, as well as amke a charitable contributuion to a transgender non profit organization.

I can not express how happy I am at the outcome of this situation!

That is all I ever wanted from this- for something bad to be turned into something positive for our community. I do not have speciffics yet- but will post them once everything is settled.

I think everyone here who needs legal assistance with tg issues in NYC should be aware of The Transgender Legal Defense Fund- as they were the ones who took my case, and fought for the plaintiffs when we had been turned down by The LAMBDA Legal Defense Fund.They are a non profit organization worthy of contribtuions for anyone who feels they do important work.

chefmike
05-11-2006, 04:17 AM
Congrats, Allanah!

Quinn
05-11-2006, 04:29 AM
Congrats, Allanah!

Cosign.

-Quinn

hondarobot
05-11-2006, 04:34 AM
Congrats Allanah! I agree that no public club has a right to discriminate against anyone.

I respect any girls viewpoint in regards to this (although I work at a "gay" club, and I know a lot of the gay guys don't feel comfortable around girls).

Being comfortable in any given situation is a persons own responsibility, but anyone has the right to be there, in general.

Although I would say private rooms within a club would be an exception, and I agree with exceptions as far as that is concerned. If nothing else, it adds to the mystique of the whole thing.

(pretty diplomatic on my end, eh? I'm getting good at this. . .)

Hara_Juku Tgirl
05-11-2006, 04:53 AM
That is long overdue Allanah. Congrats on making a big difference in behalf of our transgender community. Its about time!

~Kisses.

HTG

stillies77
05-11-2006, 05:35 AM
congratulations dream girl!

specialk
05-11-2006, 07:34 AM
Good for you Allanah!!

Realgirls4me
05-11-2006, 09:20 AM
Congratulations to you, Allanah!

Hold your head high, young lady. You -- YOU -- have literally and figuratively kicked down a door that many others who weren't allowed access through before, will now instead be able to walk through them.

I would be true, for there are those who trust me.
I would be pure, for there are those who care. I would
be strong, for there is much to suffer. I would be brave,
for there is much to dare.

You go, girl! A libation for you. :)

JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
05-11-2006, 11:38 AM
Settlements.................................suck
While I respect the fight and the ½ victory the absence of a full case allows clubs like these to say they will do one thing, do such a thing for a given amount of time, then change the club name and go back to their old ways.........

Caleigh
05-11-2006, 02:25 PM
Congrats Allanah!!

You are a woman of substance as well as style.

trish
05-11-2006, 03:09 PM
Bravo, Allanah. You're a true hero.

JohnnyVee
05-11-2006, 03:50 PM
congrats and thx for standing for standing up for tolerance and decency.

Ecstatic
05-11-2006, 04:52 PM
Outstanding, Allanah. I am happy to hear of the positive results of the case. Private functions are one thing, public quite another (though the public should be aware of what kind of scene they are entering so as not to be offended).

Hugh Jarrod
05-11-2006, 11:13 PM
Congrats, Allanah!

Cosign.

-Quinn

Co-co-sign

scipio
05-12-2006, 12:37 AM
Kudos to you.