PDA

View Full Version : Anyone looking forward to the world cup?

rez
05-08-2006, 12:59 AM
Cant wait but hope England squad will be in full force. Any views or predictions?

GroobySteven
05-08-2006, 01:10 AM
Cannot wait for it - more excited about this one than last one as even with one-footed Rooney, we've got some great skills in Gerrard, Cole, Lampard and Terry - even Owen from my club should be up for it.
Going to be fun. My prediction - it's not going to be one of the obvious ones - so not Brazil or Germany - hopefully the Argies will get knocked out embarressinly again, as will the French.
seanchai

arena95
05-08-2006, 01:19 AM
sheesh seanchai, I was always under the impression that you were a
Dutchie!

GroobySteven
05-08-2006, 01:30 AM
sheesh seanchai, I was always under the impression that you were a
Dutchie!

Lived in Amsterdam for 2 years after being pushed out of UK - but all Geordie.
seanchai

rez
05-08-2006, 01:59 AM
I guess geordies know their football! we do have a real chance if Rooneys recovery is swift. Even if it isnt we lost our best player just before the '66 tournament.....

You a Newcastle supporter Seanchai?

iebwnj
05-08-2006, 02:01 AM
The U.S. is in a hell of a group, but this will be the best team we ever send to a WC, so there's some optimism.

I just don't know how anyone can beat Brazil, they'll have to play a poor game and/or Ronaldinho gets injured.

Nch22now
05-08-2006, 03:01 AM
No Rooney, and Micheal just coming back, that = no cup I'm afraid. Also, as a prediction, the Toons will be less one England international striker too next season.

Germany will win. They are host nation and host nations always do well.

Shame Wales isn't there. :(

arena95
05-08-2006, 04:04 AM
AJAX, AJAX.......er...sorry, HOLLAND, HOLLAND!

LG
05-08-2006, 04:42 AM
Sad to say that with Rooney probably either out or not match fit, England will face an uphill battle. I Rooney is fit in time then I wouldn't be surprised to see them reach the semis, provided that Gerrard and Beckham can perform (I think Lampard will impress a few people). Otherwise it will be the quarterfinals again.

Holland always flatter to deceive, but hopefully van Basten has instilled a new kind of work ethic and the younger players will be hungry so we'll see some efficient as well as attractive football.

The Serbians have a strong defence and I feel that Iran might catch one or two teams by surprise. Portugal have potential and I'd love to see Spain doing well for a change. The Ukraine have Schevchenko, but is he enough to get them to the quarters?

I can't really see past Brazil. I think the Czech Republic will do well and expect to see both Argentina and Germany reaching the quarter finals but little more. They could have some of the young stars of the tournament in Messi (Argentina) and Podolski (Germany). I wouldn't be surprised to see an African team in the semis, but really Brazil have so much talent that I think it would be foolish to bet against them.

A question though- Why isn't this thread in the Sports Lounge section?

samstl99
05-08-2006, 04:59 AM
Well the Rooney injury is a tough one... Hope he does make it back he is one helluva player.

Personally I hope the US does well but I am not a Huge fan of the team they picked. They have a few players that are getting up there in years. How can you leave a dangerous Forward like Twellman off the team. IF John O'brien is healthy he will show the word what a world class footer he is. This may still be the best US Team they have sent to Cup, and they have been getting stronger each cup.

They do have a tough Draw. I know some of the guys persoanlly, (J McBride, Twellman, Rolston.... ) and really hope they do very well.

After that.. I am an Italy fan.. but dont think their squad is up for it this time around....

Brazil and Germany look Strong..

NickTheQuick
05-08-2006, 08:34 AM
I am torn between putting money on Togo or Trinidad & Toboggan. But looking at groups like A, F and H, and then C and E I am thinking how much bullshit these "seeds" are.

Lord Goatse
05-08-2006, 10:46 AM
Lord Goatse feels that it is appropriate to point out, for the benefit of the American viewers of this board, that 'Football' is a game that the rest of the known world play. In fact, the USA do have a team, although they refer to it as 'Soccer' (pronounced 'SARC-er', a crude schoolboy derivation of Association Football).

Although Lord Goatse much prefers Rugby, a true man's game if ever there was one, he, too, has been caught up in the World Cup fever.

Rooney is a thug with a dicipline problem. Wheras he may score a 'wonder goal' against some third world nation, his temperment would probably result in him getting sent off as soon as he encounters proper defenders. Such as the current Germany team, who play with eight full-backs.

Owen is a midget with a non-resolving injury, who hasn't even played a half-game since Christmas. Class may be permenent, however, a degree of form is needed. Sven Urine Eriksson would be a lunatic to play him from the start.

As for Seanchai's team, I look forward to seeing Newcastle compete in Europe next season. The Intertoto cup is one of the most ferociously competed tournaments there is.

popperluv
05-08-2006, 06:22 PM
ARGENTINA!!!!

BlondieUK
05-08-2006, 07:25 PM
Lived in Amsterdam for 2 years after being pushed out of UK - but all Geordie.
seanchai
Had no idea there were fellow geordies on the board! I'm gonna stick a few quid on the Argies to win it, but I reckon Owen's still in with a good shout for the golden boot. He's been awsome when he's managed to play for us. Next season, keep an eye on Charlie N'Zogbia, great player already and still with so much potential. He'll be at the next world cup with France, no doubt about it.

ptyseminole
05-08-2006, 09:02 PM
My money is on Brazil, they have the most balanced team and the best player of the moment (Ronaldinho).

England got hit by injuries to its forwards (Rooney and Owen), otherwise it think that they would have been in the fight for the cup.

I also like Italy, Del Piero and Pipo Insaghi are playing top not football again, wacth out for Italy...

kukm4
05-26-2006, 08:36 PM
Since i'm from the states I will be hoping USA will win the cup. I plan to watch every game I can. World Cup has that amped up level like that of heavy weight ppv boxing match. I cant wait. :)

Untill then heres a treat for you all by me.

Castor_Troy05
05-26-2006, 09:19 PM
oooh nooo, Gia's a geordie

Chica
05-26-2006, 11:38 PM
hey dont be dissing geordies... im 1 too :P

BlondieUK
05-27-2006, 12:39 AM
We're taking over the world!
We are the Geordies, the Geordie boot boys...!

Chica
05-27-2006, 01:27 AM
you smell that? thats the smell of freedom :)

what do u smell smog boy? :P

happyjack
05-27-2006, 10:16 AM
no...stupid boring sport

Penny uk
05-27-2006, 05:18 PM
Looking foward to Beckham being as crap as usual.

Penny uk
05-27-2006, 07:05 PM
Englands hopes rest with a scouse shrek and a kid who hasn't played for Arsenal yet.

Sven - footballing genuis!!!! :roll:

Penny uk
05-27-2006, 07:38 PM
I know MDS.

English football going from bad to worse with McLarens appointment.

Penny uk
05-27-2006, 08:05 PM
Borough fan then MDS? If so who do you want as manager?

Penny uk
05-28-2006, 01:12 AM
Looks like Martin O'Neill is the favourite though u never can tell what Venables might do

BlondieUK
05-28-2006, 02:41 AM
I'll be gutted if O'Neill takes the Boro job, really wanted him to manage us! That said, Roeder's done a great job so far, just hope it continues. Met him a little while back, nice bloke... for a cockney.

NickTheQuick
05-28-2006, 02:59 AM
http://www.the-onion-bag.com/worldcup/index.php?page=heidi

Penny uk
05-28-2006, 09:00 AM
Mmm for a man who didn't really want the job in the first place Glenn Roeder has done really well.

Great game Nick 8)

flabbybody
05-29-2006, 04:44 PM
Who will end up lasting the longest in World Cup? England vs Germany? the line is pick.

Who will end up lasting the longest in World Cup? England vs Argentina? you lay 6-5 if you bet Argentina.

anyone with strong opinions on either 2 props? pls try to keep emotions out of it. I'd like a winning bet. thx

goldensamba
05-30-2006, 03:32 PM
I have to say it's going to be a good one. There are some good new teams like Serbia, Ivory Coast and Ghana that will give everyone a good run. I think the US team is bummed. I can't see them getting out of the bracket.

kusumrani
05-30-2006, 10:02 PM
Does anyone know of any url showing the world cup (webcast). I can't seem to find any

NickTheQuick
05-30-2006, 10:23 PM
I have to say it's going to be a good one. There are some good new teams like Serbia, Ivory Coast and Ghana that will give everyone a good run. I think the US team is bummed. I can't see them getting out of the bracket.

The only thing new about Serbia (& Montenegro) is the name. And next time around they will have yet another new name. You never know what will happen in the WC.

To any European members reading this.....is anyone over there calling Group E (USA's group) the Group of Death?? I noticed more than a few journalists/announcers here in the US are calling it that, but the ones from Europe who know a thing or two about Football are calling Group C the toughest.

Also I just caught some of the friendly game between Eng-Hun. Nice goals. Crouch reminds me of Gareth (the goofy guy from the Office). Nice robot celebration, lol.

Penny uk
06-01-2006, 12:04 AM
No group yet has been called the group of death in europe nick.
Group C is the toughest.

I can't see the US ousting either Italy of the Czech Republic so no second appearance for Donovan and co.

Penny uk
06-01-2006, 12:05 AM
That should have read "no second round appearance for Donovan and co."

GroobySteven
06-01-2006, 12:23 AM
Hey
I was up the toon a few weekends back - I'm from Gateshead side (Whickham).

Too many moaning Southern puffs having a cry about Englands hopes - of course they won't win but how about some spirit and enjoy what could happen. It's a funny old game.
seanchai