PDA

View Full Version : Audi or BMW?

MdR Dave
04-12-2013, 05:05 PM
I've had a couple of BMWs- cruised large in the flagship sedan, ran the canyons in my 3- and probably tailgated and terrorized my share of commuters at 8am--

But I swear, every fucking prolapse in Los Angeles is driving an A4 these days.

Any thoughts?

Dino Velvet
04-12-2013, 05:10 PM
From the view of my Chevy Truck those 3-Series BMWs are like annoying horseflies zipping in and out of traffic. Toyota Prius do-gooders too.

timid1
04-12-2013, 05:19 PM
I've had 6 BMW's .... love them .... especially my old M3 . I had a beautiful black Audi TT Quattro . Great to drive ..... but I bought it with 5,000 miles on the clock and had terrible reliability problems. In 9 months I had to have the SatNav replaced , a new Harman K Stereo, new mobile phone kit . I had very annoying engine management system problems , they were intermittent , and Audi repeatedly failed to solve the issue . I nearly married the girl on the service reception I was there so regularly . I'll never buy another Audi .... 9 months of terrible service

BMW all day long for me.

girl
04-12-2013, 05:20 PM
Would it kill you to buy American?

Gillian
04-12-2013, 05:22 PM
Too close to call. Both driven by cocks on both sides of the Atlantic ... :D

Gillian
04-12-2013, 05:22 PM
You couldn't pay me to buy an American car ... ;)

timid1
04-12-2013, 05:32 PM
Hi girl.... owned one Jeep Cherokee .... nice .... but silly on fuel consumption, and depreciated like a Lada or Hyundai.

BMW may be driven by "cocks" Shelf .... but ones who value reliability and slow depreciation as well as good drive :D

MdR Dave
04-12-2013, 05:34 PM

Yes. Yes it would.

I like what Cadillac is doing these days, and Corvette is moving away from the "successful plumber" image, but . . .

Yes. Yes, it would.

girl
04-12-2013, 05:39 PM
You couldn't pay me to buy an American car ... ;)

Well, you are from Scotland.. It’s OK, I understand.. Majority people from UK are morons when it comes to cars, including Clarkson..

BiBoyinBeantown
04-12-2013, 05:43 PM
In the Boston area, it seems to be Lexus that takes that particular award.

girl
04-12-2013, 05:46 PM
I drive a BMW now.. but when it comes to cars, it’s all about classic cars for me, by that I mean, usa cars from 50s and 60s. Especially those from golden era of muscle cars (64-72)..

irvin66
04-12-2013, 05:49 PM
Here in Norway, Audi clearly! The biggest asshole drove BMW before but now they have gone over to Audi. So now can "normal" people drive BMW again.:D

Dino Velvet
04-12-2013, 05:52 PM
Yes. Yes it would.

I like what Cadillac is doing these days, and Corvette is moving away from the "successful plumber" image, but . . .

Yes. Yes, it would.

I like some of the new Caddies.

Most people in my neighborhood drive Mercedes, BMW, or Lexus. They all have yellow Labs too. I like driving my truck and feeding the strays instead. My house is the one that's actually paid for. Ah ain't a'goin' nowheres...

Colin92660
04-12-2013, 06:15 PM
BMW. Not even close

shermanwt
04-12-2013, 06:41 PM
I've never owned an Audi, but family members and friends who have always seem to be in a loaner car because the Audi is in the shop. I've had BMW's for nearly 20 years and can't even think of driving anything but them.

buttslinger
04-12-2013, 06:48 PM
Don't forget your TRENDY MO FO vanity plates!! ha ha.

I wrecked my Honda Civic, and actually walked away 5 grand richer because of the Obama cash for clunkers program, now that's what I call practical!!
My Honda dealer is literally 5 minutes away, so that made my choice easy, but when I get a new car I revert back to schoolboy, researching what the pros say. I'll say Audi because of the Transporter movie. BMW has got a reputation around here, for being the ride of pretentious snob a-hoes. (no offense Sherm) I'm sure if I lived in Germany I'd change my tune. Lots of factors to research...

Winkle
04-12-2013, 06:58 PM
I'm facing this very dilemma I have an A4 but want either a BMW 1series or a three series. Anyone one know how firm/soft the rides are? what are they like driving over speed humps? am I looking at 2mph going over those things?

fred41
04-12-2013, 07:34 PM
I've never owned either but I would probably go with the BMW for reliability even though I like the way the new Audi A6 looks. Brand new these cars are too expensive for me, as I don't like leasing or paying them off on plan.
(It's amazing the amount of high-end automobiles driven here in New York by people half my age with no visible means of support...lol)
I used to drive different models of Toyota, but now I happen to drive a VolvoS60.

I do think some of the American brands have gotten better...I like the look of some of the new Ford models.

Quiet Reflections
04-12-2013, 07:58 PM
Between these two it is a clear tie!! Everyones knows that real gaping assholes drive Porsches.

Willie Escalade
04-12-2013, 11:13 PM
I drive a Toyota...that was built in America.

If I could afford it I'd get a new Cadillac...or Chevy Malibu.

No comment on Audi or Bimmer drivers; I know multitudes of each.

MdR Dave
04-12-2013, 11:16 PM
Willie, do they wedge corvette engines into top line Malibus, or am I thinking of the Impala?

Willie Escalade
04-12-2013, 11:30 PM
Willie, do they wedge corvette engines into top line Malibus, or am I thinking of the Impala?
Not anymore. Wait for the Chevy SS...rear-wheel drive, V8 power, balls...

BellaBellucci
04-12-2013, 11:48 PM
Personally, I think it's people in Benzes who think they own the road.

~BB~

brickcitybrother
04-13-2013, 12:33 AM
BMW by far ... Audi's can have a regular guy driving ... but most BMWs are just driven by asshats

Gillian
04-13-2013, 12:34 AM
Well, you are from Scotland.. It’s OK, I understand.. Majority people from UK are morons when it comes to cars, including Clarkson..
Jim Clark, Jackie Stewart, David Coulthard, Dario Franchitti. Morons the lot of them.

Helpfully you don't tell us where you're from but I think I can guess ... ;)

girl
04-13-2013, 03:12 AM
You can guess... but no, I’m from europe...

Dino Velvet
04-13-2013, 03:26 AM
whew

runround04
04-13-2013, 07:31 AM
Audi drivers are the biggest pricks, close 2nd are tuner civic drivers. You have a shitbox commuter car, its not fast, it wont corner and it sounds like shit. Period.

GiDM
04-13-2013, 09:15 AM
I actually drive an Audi A6, and think of myself to be fairly average, good person. However, I've found that people that do drive BMW's are douche bags...so I went with the Audi. But, now I'm in need of a truck so Tundra here I come Audi, I'll miss you

antwerp city belgium
04-13-2013, 10:48 AM
mini for sure it s the little bmw !

cadillac
04-14-2013, 02:09 AM
audi

musicfactory
04-14-2013, 03:25 AM
too close to call. Both driven by cocks on both sides of the atlantic ... :d

true

MdR Dave
04-14-2013, 04:00 AM
I like the A6, A7 and A8L.

CORVETTEDUDE
04-14-2013, 04:09 AM
This is all I'll say.......

cutesteph
04-14-2013, 04:18 AM
It is the raised trucks with huge wheels that think they own the road. Every single time I come across one they cut everyone off, cross 4 lanes of traffic, drive on sidewalks, etc.

nowist7
04-14-2013, 04:27 AM
I can't afford either one at the moment, but when I do get enough I'm probably gonna go for the A4 as well. It's like everybody in SoCal has a 3 series. Never really been a fan of BMW interiors either

cutesteph
04-14-2013, 04:43 AM
I can't afford either one at the moment, but when I do get enough I'm probably gonna go for the A4 as well. It's like everybody in SoCal has a 3 series. Never really been a fan of BMW interiors either

True, 3 series in O.C. is so common. I think the c class would be the next most common. A4 really lacks power, but it is a cute car!

Jericho
04-14-2013, 05:05 AM
Biggest pricks on the road are Citroen drivers!

scottytech
04-15-2013, 06:15 PM
drive a rs6 great car and it fucks off m3 drivers lol near 500bhp out a family car

eccentricBlue
04-15-2013, 06:26 PM
I'm not a fan of either manufacturer, but I would love me a 1980 M1 :)

luvs2lick1385
04-15-2013, 06:55 PM
2013 Shelby Cobra GT 500 KR with a four on the floor and a Hurst shifter. This will kick any ass on the road. Black exterior with a wide silver stripe down the center and a black leather interior.

annatgrl
04-16-2013, 06:05 AM
BMWs...every time.

I've been in a 7 series and it's really nice, but they seem to attract bad drivers. I just know one of them will do something stupid on the highway.

runround04
04-16-2013, 07:20 AM
2013 shelby cobra gt 500 kr with a four on the floor and a hurst shifter. This will kick any ass on the road. Black exterior with a wide silver stripe down the center and a black leather interior.

rofl!!

robertlouis
04-16-2013, 08:29 AM
Biggest pricks on the road are Citroen drivers!

And the SMALLEST pricks are in BMWs.

Here in the UK I find it's folks in what I think you call SUVs - big, clumsy 4x4s - that are the real idiots. Not only do they drive aggressively, they combine it with minimal spatial awareness and stupidity. In my book, the bigger the car, the bigger the moron driving it.

Oh, and I drove new Audis for 25 years and never once regretted it. Wonderful cars. Never had a high performance one because I never needed it. But superbly engineered and intelligently evolved, a pleasure to drive. My 2.8L A6 was the best of the lot.

As for American cars, and I've driven plenty, let me know when you build one that can corner.... :dancing:

MdR Dave
04-16-2013, 02:54 PM
As for American cars, and I've driven plenty, let me know when you build one that can corner.... :dancing:

Ha! I mean. . . um. . . let me get back to you.

Willie Escalade
04-16-2013, 03:22 PM
Corvette especially the ZO6 and ZR1, Camaro 1LE and ZL1, Shelby GT500, older Cobalt SS, Viper (especially those tuned by Hennessey), Ford GT, SSC Ultimate Aero, Molser MT900s, Mustang Boss 302 Laguna Seca...

eccentricBlue
04-16-2013, 03:29 PM
Oh, and I drove new Audis for 25 years and never once regretted it. Wonderful cars. Never had a high performance one because I never needed it. But superbly engineered and intelligently evolved, a pleasure to drive. My 2.8L A6 was the best of the lot.

Driving new Audis for 25 years sounds like you would trade one in every few years for a new one. That is the only way I would recommend owning a BMW, Audi or VW. Once their warranties expire and gaskets, seals, suspension and typical maintenance begin to need attention the upkeep on these cars add up. Not to mention they are a PITA to work on. Just my .02

kmersh
04-16-2013, 04:14 PM
I have always felt that when comparing Audi to BMW, especially the hot versions, the BMW is the superior car if you are going to push it to it ends.

The BMW is a "quasi" track car while the Audi is a Sports Car, imho.

k

robertlouis
04-16-2013, 04:37 PM
Driving new Audis for 25 years sounds like you would trade one in every few years for a new one. That is the only way I would recommend owning a BMW, Audi or VW. Once their warranties expire and gaskets, seals, suspension and typical maintenance begin to need attention the upkeep on these cars add up. Not to mention they are a PITA to work on. Just my .02

I drove that A6 for 8 years and 198,000 miles. Aside from routine servicing and wear and tear, nothing ever went wrong. Superb car.

I've driven Beemers too and I like them. But I prefer Audi. Also had a couple of Saab turbos in my time. They're impressive too, and the best driver's car of them all.

FWIW, nowadays I drive a Ford. Why? Well, I'm paying for it myself, and since going fulltime as a musician my income isn't what it was. It's a 2L diesel Mondeo Ghia estate (= station wagon) and I bought it because it's the only estate that can comfortably accommodate three guitars in hard cases and a compact PA with the seats up and the luggage cover closed. When you've got £10K under the cover which give you your livelihood you don't want folks to know they're there.

And it has been superb too. Economical to a fault (50mpg +), quiet, comfortable, refined and a joy to drive.

But it isn't an Audi!

luvs2lick1385
04-16-2013, 05:14 PM
Bring it on

BiBoyinBeantown
04-17-2013, 08:24 AM

I have an E46 3-series BMW. The warranty has been expired for some while. I do much of my own service work on the car. It's a joy to work on compared to the late-model American and Japanese hardware I've owned. Brakes, water pump, thermostat, radiator fan, coolant tank, all easy. Yes the running costs are a bit higher than many other cars but not outlandishly so, especially if you find a good independent mechanic rather than going to the dealership for everything. IME the dealerships do good work but they do charge top dollar for it.

Willie Escalade
04-17-2013, 08:55 AM
e46 is considered the last of the really great 3 Series...especially an M3 CSL...

BiBoyinBeantown
04-18-2013, 05:50 AM
e46 is considered the last of the really great 3 Series...especially an M3 CSL...

Was the last one before the "Bangle Butt"...I like my ladies with "junk in the trunk," not my cars!

The F30 is a definite improvement over the E90 in looks, that's for sure.

MdR Dave
04-18-2013, 06:59 AM
Edit.