PDA

View Full Version : The Meaning Of Life

hondarobot
05-06-2006, 04:16 PM
I haven't really read a great deal of material on the subject, but I think something that often goes overlooked regarding the whole topic of Transexualism is that the word defines a process, not a condition or state of being. A transexual is a person who undertakes an, often times, lengthy process to change their gender to one which they feel is more suited for them. That is all fine and good, but it doesn't really address exactly Why people do this.

So first off lets address some of the reasons why a person would alter their physical appearance to that of a gender opposite to how they were regarded at birth. Right off the bat, let's be honest, a few are lunatics. I see people like this all the time, generally it's some middle aged guy wearing a granny dress, cheap wig, and war paint looking make-up. The explanation for these peoples behavior is that they are crazy, and that's a whole other kettle of fish.

There are also people who do it just because they want to do it. It's not like changing gender requires magic or anything, anybody can do it if they can afford to and want to do it. Nothing wrong with that, it's one of those free-to-be-you-and-me things. Obviously, people of this type generally are more into the razzle dazzle of the whole thing, and most would fall into the "drag" classification. It's something they want to do, not an extention of how they actually are.

Then there is the case of Gender Indentity Disorder. I think most TS identify with this catagory and define it as being a "need" to change, they couldn't live happily without taking the steps to alter themselves into the gender they actually identify with. The problem I have with that is it seems to imply that it's a mental disorder or something, that switching gender at some point in life is done to address some issue that is causing personal problems. I suppose that could be the case in some circumstances, but I don't think it is the norm. Even the term Gender Indentity "Disorder" seems to imply some kookyness is involved.

Anyhoo, there seems to be a great deal of confusion about the whole situation, so I'm going to try and address things from my perspective just because I happen to have a great deal of time on my hands at the moment and nothing better to do. People are a complicated deal, they are the result of a biological process that is so vastly beyond our current understanding it's not even worth examining too closely here. Things don't always work out exactly right and the end product that emerges at birth quite frequently has a few rough edges that need ironing out, so to speak.

In the case of the particular genetic "skill set" that generally leads to Transexualism, I'd just like to say that it is "real", it's not so much a "disorder" as it is just a fact of life. I've made the outrageous claim that I myself was TS before on these boards. Obviously I'm not, because I have no disire to undergo a bunch of surgery and correct some "mistakes" that happend while I was being constructed prenatally. But, yeah, I wasn't suppose to be a guy.

The most common reaction to a statement like this is "That fucker is crazy! He's probably some looney fag or something!", but I'm not. Oddly enough, I'm only attracted to girls, so I guess on a mental/emotional/bio-chemical level I'm a dyke who continues to live as a man. Hehe, it doesn't get much more socially ostracized then that, you'd think. That also is the one reason I, personally, would never undergo surgical alteration. I only like girls, and I'm a pretty attractive guy as I am. Correcting my gender assignment would work against me, actually.

But the fact is I'm very happy with myself. I don't go blabbing it up that I'm not like most people. In my case, I have no desire to slap on a dress and go prancing through a field of daisies. I've just been aware for most of my life that I'm not really the gender that I was physically assigned at birth. It's a strange process that leads to figuring things out, just a vague feeling of "Hmmm. . .I think there's something odd about me" early in life that eventually (in my case) around late teen years suddenly hits you. Whoops, I'm not really a guy, but I'll make the best of things I guess.

Anyways, that's my HA post of the day. I'd argue that Gender Indentity, whatever it may be, is not a Disorder at all. It's an issue that most people take steps to correct when they are not born with corresponding physical configuration to what they think and feel, and they definately should if they wish to do so. But it has nothing to do with being "weird" or anything.

And if anyone has a problem with that, I'll scratch their eyes out. hehe.

UirCelLanAd
05-06-2006, 05:46 PM
Interesting post...
on a side note, in terms of the physiology of the human body men who wish to switch their gender tend to have smaller hypothalamus' (gland in the brain that controls hormones). They tend have the same size gland as females.

hondarobot
05-06-2006, 06:09 PM
Hmm. . . interesting on the whole hypothalamus thing, I don't really know anything about that.

Personally, my hypothalamus feels fine, I guess. What do I know. . .?

Ecstatic
05-06-2006, 11:00 PM
Then there is the case of Gender Indentity Disorder. I think most TS identify with this catagory and define it as being a "need" to change, they couldn't live happily without taking the steps to alter themselves into the gender they actually identify with. The problem I have with that is it seems to imply that it's a mental disorder or something, that switching gender at some point in life is done to address some issue that is causing personal problems. I suppose that could be the case in some circumstances, but I don't think it is the norm. Even the term Gender Indentity "Disorder" seems to imply some kookyness is involved.
Great post, Honda. However, there's a tendency to see the dysphoria as being a "mental disorder" when in fact the mental disorder is the result of being trapped in the wrong sexual identity by virtue of one's physiological birth sex: it's only a "mental disorder" so long as one is trapped. I'm reminded of the brilliant observation made by Bree in Transamerica: "isn't it odd that plastic surgery can cure a mental disorder?"

As to your observations about being TS yourself, I remember you making those comments before. More and more I find myself agreeing with Christine Jorgensen that no one is 100% male or female; we are all blends of the two genders, and no one is more than 80% one or the other. When the percentage of one gender exceeds that predicted by one's birth sex, then you have transgenderism. I know for a fact that there are many ways in which I'm more female than male (remember the silly-but-somewhat-revealing quiz circulated here about a year ago which analyzed one's writing and revealed whether you wrote as a man or as a woman?): the most obvious (to me) in my case is that I have never been comfortable as the sexual aggressor. But I do not in any sense consider myself transgendered; I am quite comfortably male in most respects. But there is a mix (which probably contributes to my being bisexual, albeit with a very strong desire for women and tg's and not for men).

hondarobot
05-06-2006, 11:35 PM
Great post Ecstatic, but don't get me wrong. I've been reading your posts for a long time, and you are very comfortable being bi-sexual. You may not be aggressive in a sexual way, but that probably is just because you are a nice guy. No offense to the "manly men" out there, you are probably nice guys as well, just kinda agressive.

I'm saying that this Gender Identity thing is very complicated, and if it doesn't actually apply to a person, they could never understand it. In nearly all cases it would drive a person crazy if not corrected. I'm an anomoly, and I find it interesting but I have no intentions of ever correcting my problem.

I'm just goofy that way, but I'm ok with it.

Nothing wrong with being different.

hondarobot
05-06-2006, 11:52 PM
Oh, and just to add, I dont think "agression" has anything to do with gender indentity. Many girls I've had sex with have made me fuck the hell out of them to the point I'm just hoping for a glass of water or something distracting to come on TV, just to get a break.

Hehe

Ecstatic
05-07-2006, 02:07 AM
True, Honda. I'm just saying that we all exhibit a mix of yin and yang characteristics, and whether we are transgendered depends upon the degree to which the other outweighs the one (that is, the degree to which one identifies with the gender opposite one's reproductive system's assumed gender). I am comfortable being bi, but I'm not attracted to men other than for casual sex. I'm most definitely attracted to women and tgirls, and for far more than sex. Yet, in my younger, wilder years (read: pre-married), I had more casual encounters with men than with women by an order of magnitude, in large measure because I was never comfortable initiating the encounter. Needless to say, I kicked myself several times after later finding out that Susie-so-and-so had wanted me to come on to her and I failed to do so.

My impression (which is only my impression, mind you) is that you're a good deal further along that spectrum, but still comfortable in being a guy physically and that you don't desire to transition to being a female. Or do I read you wrong?

hondarobot
05-07-2006, 02:25 AM
You don't read me wrong at all, Ecstatic. I don't exhibit any "girl"-like qualities at all. I live 100% guy, and I have no problem with that.

The unfortunate thing is that being born cross gender (or whatever you want to call it) is something most people don't want to talk about. Girls (or guys) who make the transition just put it behind themselves, and regard the whole situation as complete nonsense, in regards to others who haven't "been through what they have".

People are scared and silly. I know what I am, I'm just not going to deal with anyone else any more. It's apparently not worth the effort.

(No offense to you, Ecstatic, you're a good guy).

Ecstatic
05-07-2006, 05:14 AM
One thing I really liked about your original post Honda is the statement that it's a "process, not a condition or state of being." That's very illuminating, I think.

hondarobot
05-07-2006, 05:29 AM
hehe, it is complicated, no matter how you look at it.

I'm going away for awhile and focusing on making some cartoons. I've thrown enough rants for the time being.

Be back. . .eventually :)