PDA

View Full Version : Is punctuation dead? where are all the literate perverts?

sheyum
03-31-2013, 12:01 AM
Ok---maybe I'm old -fashioned..
But one of the things that drives me mad on this forum is when people post comments without any punctuation..

I'll admit that I often type fast and mispell things..
But I'm talking about when folks (and I fear they're young people)
write these loooong post with out any punctuation.....just long run -on sentences

drives me fucking mad

anyone else feel that way?
what's up with this?

GroobySteven
03-31-2013, 12:03 AM
But one of the things that drives me mad on this forum is when people post comments without any punctuation..

write these loooong post with out any punctuation.....just long run -on sentences

drives me fucking mad

what's up with this?

Can I start by picking apart your awful punctuation?

hippifried
03-31-2013, 12:04 AM
imrighthere&itsnotdeadjustinacoma

Instrumental
03-31-2013, 12:13 AM

Was going to post something to the same effect. Perhaps he's a fan of irony and hypocrisy.

GroobySteven
03-31-2013, 12:14 AM
Was going to post something to the same effect. Perhaps he's a fan of irony and hypocrisy.

It's almost too good to be ironic.

sheyum
03-31-2013, 12:45 AM
Ok Seanchai

I knew someone was going to say that.
But I admitted that I often misspell things (out of laziness)

and yes-I'm not necessarily using textbook punctuation..because we ARE writing comments on a thread..not a novel

I'm writing in a more conversational style.

But my point is.....these posts where its just one long stream of thoughts..no breaks--no punctuation....just a mass of words..

its really hard to read.

no need to be nasty

9inchesthickncut
03-31-2013, 12:47 AM

drives me fucking mad

what's up with this?

Literate pervert here.

No, really; I'm good-naturedly perverse — nothing sick; don't want to hurt anyone — and I've made my living as a writer and editor for nearly three decades.

I wouldn't say punctuation is dead, though it's certainly not well. But I also think it's a mistake to expect quality writing — or even appropriate punctuation — in a forum like this, and I certainly don't hold less-than-stellar writing or punctuation against anyone who posts.

To me, the sentiment you're choosing to express is much more important than the exact words (or punctuation marks) you've chosen to employ in your attempt to express it.

Would I like to see better writing and punctuation on HA? Sure.

Is that realistic? Probably not. But I'm not giving up hope.

Dino Velvet
03-31-2013, 12:54 AM
hardtatypewithwonhandireckon:hitit

hippifried
03-31-2013, 12:55 AM
Ok Seanchai

But my point is.....these posts where its just one long stream of thoughts..no breaks--no punctuation....just a mass of words..

its really hard to read.

no need to be nasty

Commonly known as a "word salad". Just toss it...

Dino Velvet
03-31-2013, 12:58 AM
Commonly known as a "word salad". Just toss it...

Thank you, Hippi.http://board.freeones.com/images/freeones/smilies/joint.gif

What is Tossing Salad ? - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2kVjuT2jqE)

sukumvit boy
03-31-2013, 01:22 AM
I agree with you,in principle, SHEYUM.
But I'm afraid you' stepped in it'.
Be careful around here,be very careful ,or the SHARKS'LL GET YA!
I'd go with the "being ironic" excuse,if it were me.

bluesoul
03-31-2013, 01:37 AM
what's up with this?

bad spelling says something about the person- but i personally don't care about it here since i'm not looking for a date or hiring someone for a job

trish
03-31-2013, 01:37 AM
I remember on this forum when we were able to correct our spelling and grammar well beyond the ten minute window that now limits our capacity to edit. These days I often look back over the stuff I posted just fifteen minutes ago, cringe and tell myself that I gotta learn proof read before I hit the "Post Quick Reply" button.

sukumvit boy
03-31-2013, 01:53 AM
I remember on this forum when we were able to correct our spelling and grammar well beyond the ten minute window that now limits our capacity to edit. These days I often look back over the stuff I posted just fifteen minutes ago, cringe and tell myself that I gotta learn proof read before I hit the "Post Quick Reply" button.

In your case,Trish, it doesn't matter.
You have already proven yourself,beyond any shadow of a doubt, to be both highly literate and highly perverted.

Dino Velvet
03-31-2013, 01:58 AM
Trish is the filthiest librarian ever.

trish
03-31-2013, 02:30 AM
I primarily strive for perversion and filth. Thanks for noticing.

Dino Velvet
03-31-2013, 03:00 AM
I primarily strive for perversion and filth. Thanks for noticing.

You're welcome, O Queen Of High-Brow Filth.

http://www.hungangels.com/vboard/attachment.php?attachmentid=569049&stc=1&d=1364689811

She wears her rose-colored glasses to block my pearl bifocals I was wanting to fit on her peepers.

buttslinger
03-31-2013, 03:06 AM
I just look at the pictures.

hippifried
03-31-2013, 05:11 AM
i Lit or ate a perVert unce?

Watt was the kweschun.

Ben
03-31-2013, 06:05 AM

drives me fucking mad

what's up with this?

Well, kinda....
But we've gone from a print based to an image based culture. I mean, how many people actually read novels anymore? Or read books?
This, of course, plays into it. As to how the overall culture is changing. Maybe not for the good.

Prospero
03-31-2013, 09:08 AM
Maybe the site owner should appoint a literacy czar, entrusted with correcting the grammar of all the posts here. That is what matters most here.

scroller
03-31-2013, 09:20 AM
I mean, how many people actually read novels anymore? Or read books?

Um.... at least all the people who made Kindles and Nooks and whatnot a new market segment?