PDA

View Full Version : Besides Filet Mignon, What's Your Favorite Type Of Steak?

Dino Velvet
03-30-2013, 03:50 PM
I got a nice Rib Eye on the bone waiting for later. Trim the fat away and you got lots of flavor. Also like a good Porterhouse or New York. I will pretty much eat anything but those are my favorites.

http://www.cusackmeats.com/catalog/images/BONE-IN_SOLO%20with%20CAB%20Logo.JPG

fordly66
03-30-2013, 03:56 PM
Can't resist a good Porterhouse!

GroobySteven
03-30-2013, 03:59 PM
Filet Mignon is my least favorite. It's tasteless. I only like it in Pho.

You've got the "butcher's choice" above. Bone-in rib eye although when I cook at home I usually use the boneless version. Don't trim the fat before you cook it! If it's grass fed organic type beef, the fat also has lots of good fat (omega-3, etc.) than bad so it might be worth an indulgence.

I either season it with rock salt and pepper JUST before I sear it on both sides in a lightly oiled pan or grill then turn down the heat for another 4 mins or so on each side or marinade it in soy sauce, sesame oil, sushi vinegar (or white wine vinegar), a little sugar, salt and pepper, garlic and ginger before cooking it the same way. Use the same mix minus the garlic and ginger for a killer salad dressing.

Second fave, is what I've just bought - skirt steak or hanger steak. Similar to flank. I usually just sear this and eat it rare - it's got a huge amount of flavor. I've an awesome butchers 5 mins walk away who get me whatever I need!

Dino Velvet
03-30-2013, 04:29 PM
Filet Mignon is my least favorite. It's tasteless. I only like it in Pho.

You've got the "butcher's choice" above. Bone-in rib eye although when I cook at home I usually use the boneless version. Don't trim the fat before you cook it! If it's grass fed organic type beef, the fat also has lots of good fat (omega-3, etc.) than bad so it might be worth an indulgence.

I either season it with rock salt and pepper JUST before I sear it on both sides in a lightly oiled pan or grill then turn down the heat for another 4 mins or so on each side or marinade it in soy sauce, sesame oil, sushi vinegar (or white wine vinegar), a little sugar, salt and pepper, garlic and ginger before cooking it the same way. Use the same mix minus the garlic and ginger for a killer salad dressing.

Second fave, is what I've just bought - skirt steak or hanger steak. Similar to flank. I usually just sear this and eat it rare - it's got a huge amount of flavor. I've an awesome butchers 5 mins walk away who get me whatever I need!

Ruth's Chris over here does a nice Filet Mignon. I like it there but would taste like rubber if I cooked it.

I like that Butcher's Choice piece but I usually buy from Ralph's and throw it in the frying pan fat and all trimming after cooking. I cook OK and like the room for error Rib Eye gives me. I like the flavor of the "on the bone" cuts.

GroobySteven
03-30-2013, 04:49 PM
Ruth's Chris over here does a nice Filet Mignon. I like it there but would taste like rubber if I cooked it.

I like that Butcher's Choice piece but I usually buy from Ralph's and throw it in the frying pan fat and all trimming after cooking. I cook OK and like the room for error Rib Eye gives me. I like the flavor of the "on the bone" cuts.

Flavour of being on the bone makes a lot of difference - not just meat but fish also.

Dino Velvet
03-30-2013, 04:52 PM
Flavour of being on the bone makes a lot of difference - not just meat but fish also.

Agreed. Got 2 massive Rib Eyes for $10.54 too. Can't beat that. Easter sales at the supermarket. Probably load up the truck again today.

Tits McButts
03-30-2013, 04:55 PM
http://dinnerwithmariahblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/tubesteak-front.jpg

Isn't it obligatory 'round a place like this? :banana:
Serious answer is California Tri-tip.

GroobyKrissy
03-30-2013, 05:31 PM
A nice red slab of Prime Rib with some strong horseradish is the steak of choice for me.

Merkurie
03-30-2013, 05:42 PM
What she said ^^^
Prime Rib
http://twotoolscooking.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/cccc.jpg

Lovecox
03-30-2013, 05:47 PM
Rib-eye, T-bone ... anything with a piece of bone in it. I never trim the fat because to me it adds flavor to the pan; Kosher salt and pepper both sides; drop it in a very hot pan with a little oil and butter; cook each side 3 minutes; remove to a plate, dab on some butter and a fresh rosemary twig and tent with aluminum foil for 5 minutes; the outside is seared and the inside is rare with a hint of prurple in the middle. That's my steak.

LordRectum1
03-30-2013, 05:49 PM
A thick cut rib steak with thick Lea and Perrins sauce.

irvin66
03-30-2013, 05:53 PM
whale steak is delicious! :D

rbiller
03-30-2013, 06:35 PM
Prime Rib for me.

broncofan
03-30-2013, 06:56 PM
Ribeye when it's prepared right. A lot of fat on it so it's hard to screw up.

Ruth's Chris does all of their steaks well though Dino. I've never had a bad steak there. I think their ribeye is their best cut, but the t-bone and the filet are both good as well.

nikki666
03-30-2013, 06:59 PM
Flank is very nice if prepared properly. It should be marinated over night in a flavorful mix of oil and vinegar with plenty of herbs and spices. Skirt steak can be treated this way also.
BTW....technically Prime Rib is a roast . Overall, can't beat a bone in ribeye...yum..

Yeah
03-30-2013, 07:02 PM
Wow. Expensive beef. Im glad i have acess to beef farms in the area. I only pay $2.80/pound buying a quater of beef. I also like T-bone steaks.

Dino Velvet
03-30-2013, 07:08 PM
Ribeye when it's prepared right. A lot of fat on it so it's hard to screw up.

Ruth's Chris does all of their steaks well though Dino. I've never had a bad steak there. I think their ribeye is their best cut, but the t-bone and the filet are both good as well.

You can't go wrong at Ruth's Chris. If I ain't payin' call me Lucifer of Bovine. Might take your advice and try that rib eye next time.

With all that fat even I don't screw up a rib eye. Most of my cooking threads here are about cooking accidents while guzzling booze in the kitchen.

Quiet Reflections
03-30-2013, 07:19 PM
bone in ribeye

GroobySteven
03-30-2013, 07:32 PM
Wow. Expensive beef. Im glad i have acess to beef farms in the area. I only pay $2.80/pound buying a quater of beef. I also like T-bone steaks.

You do get what you pay for though, a lot of US beef is over-exposed to hormones (watch for the man-boobs) and antibiotics, and a lot of Euro beef ... is horse.
For flavor and health, it's much better to buy less but get the better quality grass fed, non-hormone beef.

Both the least flavoursome and some of the most flavoursome beef has been from US farms, just using different techniques. You have to watch Ruth Chris as a lot of the flavour you get is the butter they add at the end!

Dino - Frankie's on Melrose does a decent and fair priced steak - I'm a regular here. Londoner's could do far worse than Hawksmoor.

NightmareX0666
03-30-2013, 07:36 PM
Since my gf does not like steak that much and we have half of her family living with us I rarely get to eat steak. But when I know I have the house to myself for a few hours I will run out and buy a ribeye (its Walmart so I take what looks decent). Nothing beats out having a ribeye steak and nice cold beer (yeah I have to hide that too) then watch a old-ass television show like Columbo. Damn I remember being a kid thinking of freedom when I became an adult...yeah that worked out well!!!!

SammiValentine
03-30-2013, 07:49 PM
Good quality meat is expensive ;-)

GroobySteven
03-30-2013, 07:51 PM
Since my gf does not like steak that much and we have half of her family living with us I rarely get to eat steak. But when I know I have the house to myself for a few hours I will run out and buy a ribeye (its Walmart so I take what looks decent). Nothing beats out having a ribeye steak and nice cold beer (yeah I have to hide that too) then watch a old-ass television show like Columbo. Damn I remember being a kid thinking of freedom when I became an adult...yeah that worked out well!!!!

You have to hide having a beer in your own house? Damn, no wonder you're nickname is Nightmare!

Rusty Eldora
03-30-2013, 07:55 PM
A nice red slab of Prime Rib with some strong horseradish is the steak of choice for me.

I love great prime rib with tons of horseradish. A real fave but not a steak.

i go two ways with my steaks on the grill. Often it is the Rib Eye, Tbone or Porterhouse when they look good at the store. I splurge sometimes and hit the local meat market where he has local grass fed beef, not as rich but real tasty. I grew up in Colorado, there the local herd ate tones of sagebrush, very good tasting.

More of my 'staple' steak is a thick top sirloin without marbling and really tender. So good with a bit of 57 with it rare to med rare. Sirloin is the lowest calorie and least fat content steak.

bluesoul
03-30-2013, 08:14 PM
You have to hide having a beer in your own house? Damn, no wonder you're nickname is Nightmare!

good catch.

we probably should have a telephone helpline for some of the members here. i'd be willing to do the night shift

GroobySteven
03-30-2013, 08:15 PM
good catch.

we probably should have a telephone helpline for some of the members here. i'd be willing to do the night shift

God help us all if it comes to that!

NightmareX0666
03-30-2013, 09:28 PM

:sadcry
I love the Mexican women, but when the family is around holy shit can they pound that shit down. The funny part is fact they won't touch my horse piss of a beer - Rolling Rock. But even I have to be in the mood for it.

broncofan
03-30-2013, 09:34 PM
Both the least flavoursome and some of the most flavoursome beef has been from US farms, just using different techniques. You have to watch Ruth Chris as a lot of the flavour you get is the butter they add at the end!

I've always ordered my steak at Ruth's Chris with extra butter. That is indeed the trick. I've been to Peter Luger one time in Brooklyn and their trick is also tons of butter (strangely they also cut your steak for you). They have a decent in house steak sauce too.

Half the people I've talked to think Peter Luger is overrated and they've had better steaks. Half think it's great and the best steak you can get in NY. I may have gone on a good night, but I thought it was a cut above even the better NY steakhouses I've been to.

Dino Velvet
03-30-2013, 09:43 PM
Dino - Frankie's on Melrose does a decent and fair priced steak - I'm a regular here. Londoner's could do far worse than Hawksmoor.

Thanks for giving me a good excuse to go out for a steak. Consider me there.

Ms.Stepford
03-30-2013, 09:51 PM
I like NY strips, because all the fat stays in that slab on the side, and I can avoid it. I get the grass-fed organic ones and eat them raw with some cheap dry red wine.

Prospero
03-31-2013, 09:12 AM
It has got to be tender and very rare. Perhaps marinated in something first.

nevada64
03-31-2013, 09:32 AM
Dino,
Also try Taylor's Steakhouse on 8th St. in Koreatown. I've been going there for years and always get the bone in Ribeye. It's a nice little gem with old leather booths.

http://taylorssteakhouse.com/

timid1
03-31-2013, 09:36 AM
Nice ribeye medium rare.

Although right now I'd love a jumbo sausage for breakfast! ;-)

Yeah
03-31-2013, 08:13 PM
You do get what you pay for though, a lot of US beef is over-exposed to hormones (watch for the man-boobs) and antibiotics, and a lot of Euro beef ... is horse.
For flavor and health, it's much better to buy less but get the better quality grass fed, non-hormone beef.

Its all good. My sister owns the farm. Grass fed and no hormones. Heck sometimes I feed them when sis is out of town.

GroobySteven
03-31-2013, 08:18 PM
Dino,
Also try Taylor's Steakhouse on 8th St. in Koreatown. I've been going there for years and always get the bone in Ribeye. It's a nice little gem with old leather booths.

http://taylorssteakhouse.com/

Looks great, I'm going to check this out next week.

nysprod
03-31-2013, 08:22 PM
She meat served hot and hard...definitely bone in...lol

nevada64
03-31-2013, 08:58 PM
Looks great, I'm going to check this out next week.

Welcome to L.A. and enjoy your meal at Taylor's Seanchai. It is a small space, nothing grand, but very good and cozy. There is an additional upstairs dining area, but I prefer the downstairs where the bar is. Make a reservation, and Antonio is a fine waiter. I hope I haven't built the place up too much. Buen Provecho & Cheers!

Stavros
03-31-2013, 09:01 PM
Beef at its best is certainly good, but over-rated. I have had good beef on only a few occasions in my life, a good steak on even fewer occasions. I once ordered a steak in Paris and because I know what they are like there insisted it be bien cuite, yet it was still breathing when the plate arrived.

Lamb perfectly cooked is far superior, saltmarsh lamb in particular. Outside India, 100% of the Asians I know think lamb is disgusting, whereas for me a rack of lamb is the epitome of fine dining, be it with new potatoes and greens, fragrant rice, or just a green salad. Can't always decide on the right wine for it though, still working on that.

Dino Velvet
03-31-2013, 09:08 PM
You guys are good. I don't know dogshit about steakhouses in comparison. I read every post and am grateful for recommendations. Next time I want steak I'll try to push away from the grocery store which also gets half the house and a part of me lit on fire. Splattered grease will be my end. I blame the Indian at Ralph's who always nags me to buy steak.

Kevin Dong
03-31-2013, 09:28 PM
I rarely eat steak as its pretty pricy for a good one in Toronto and living in an apartment I don't have a BBQ, but if I do get a steak I like the ones that are like a puck from Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. I've only been there a couple of times but it's the best I've ever had.

fred41
03-31-2013, 09:41 PM
I don't often go out for steak all that much, but I do enjoy the porterhouse at Peter Luger's.

northshoreman52
04-03-2013, 01:59 AM
Libby

BJ4TS
04-03-2013, 04:25 AM
Prime Rib.... Diamond cut from any Lawry's Steakhouse.

robertlouis
04-03-2013, 05:48 AM
Faux-filet cooked a point with frites, two glasses of Bourgueil, followed by a double espresso. The perfect Paris lunch.