PDA

View Full Version : I'm Cisgender, You're Transgender

nysprod
03-29-2013, 06:58 AM
Cis...meaning on the near side as opposed to trans...“cisgender” means having a biological sex that matches your gender identity and expression where an individual's self-perception of their gender matches the sex they were assigned at birth...when the sex of the body matches the gender of the mind...having been born in the correct sex body, and one identifying with this....

Ms.Stepford
03-29-2013, 07:03 AM
I run into a hilarious amount of cis people who don't like being called cis. They're like "we're just normal. We don't need a word for that."

Cis people aren't normal. It's just that there's so many more of them.

nysprod
03-29-2013, 07:08 AM
Some examples of cisgender priviledge from Kickstarting Gender Understanding:

1. Use public restrooms without fear of verbal abuse, physical intimidation, or arrest

2. The ability to walk through the world and generally blend-in, not being constantly stared or gawked at, whispered about, pointed at, or laughed at because of your gender expression.

3. The ability to flirt, engage in courtship, or form a relationship and not fear that your biological status may be cause for rejection or attack, nor will it cause your partner to question their sexual orientation.

4. If you are murdered (or have any crime committed against you), your gender expression will not be used as a justification for your murder (“gay panic”) nor as a reason to coddle the perpetrators.

There are more...feel free to add some of your own.

nysprod
03-29-2013, 07:13 AM
I run into a hilarious amount of cis people who don't like being called cis. They're like "we're just normal. We don't need a word for that."

Always interested in new (to me) perspectives...

hippifried
03-29-2013, 08:09 AM
War - Why Can't We Be Friends - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMVTOxELjfU)

nysprod
03-29-2013, 02:54 PM
Other cisgender "privileges":

1. Strangers call you by the name you provide, and don’t ask what your “real name” [birth name] is and then assume that they have a right to call you by that name.

2. f you end up in the emergency room, you do not have to worry that your gender will keep you from receiving appropriate treatment, or that all of your medical issues will be seen as a result of your gender.

3. Your identity is not considered a mental pathology (“gender identity disorder” in the DSM IV) by the psychological and medical establishments.

Ecstatic
03-29-2013, 03:10 PM

Love this!

nysprod
03-29-2013, 04:19 PM

Typical...the majority establishing "norms" on the minority...

Jericho
03-29-2013, 04:39 PM

BiBoyinBeantown
03-30-2013, 07:11 AM
3. Your identity is not considered a mental pathology (“gender identity disorder” in the DSM IV) by the psychological and medical establishments.

GID will no longer be listed in DSM-V. They're renaming it "Gender Dysphoria." I'm not knowledgeable enough to say for sure whether that's an improvement.