PDA

View Full Version : New Jersey bodega owner wins $338M Powerball.

Vladimir Putin
03-26-2013, 04:05 AM
The (New Jersey) Bergen Record, Monday, March 25, 2013, 6:57pm EDT

POWERBALL LOTTERY WINNER IS PASSAIC BODEGA OWNER PEDRO QUEZADA

By MONSY ALVARADO, MICHAEL LINSHORST and JIM NORMAN, Bergen Record Staff Writers

The winner of the $338 million Powerball lottery is a 44-year old immigrant who owes a Passaic convenience store.

Pedro Quezada of Passaic, who owns Apple Deli and Grocery on 8th Street, came into Eagle Liquors on Passaic Street just after 4 p.m. to claim the huge prize. Quezada, 44, a father of five, stopped into the liquor store once a day to buy lottery tickets before he hit the $338 million prize.

“I’m very happy,” he said in Spanish. He said his first order of business is to help his family.

“I still can’t believe it,” said his wife, Ines Sanchez, who said her husband called her with the news this afternoon. “We never expected it, but thank God.”

The lump sum payout would be $211 million, amounting to about $152 million after state and federal taxes, New Jersey Lottery Executive Director Carole Hedinger said at a press conference Monday morning.

The numbers drawn were 17, 29, 31, 52, 53 and Powerball 31.

In addition to the $338 million jackpot, one second-prize ticket was sold in New Jersey. That ticket, worth $1 million, was sold at a 7-Eleven in Mahwah. The state lottery did not say whether that winner has come forward.

With news of the winner’s identity the neighborhood around Eagle Liquors on Passaic Street came alive. Patrons huddled under awnings tried to keep up with an onslaught of questions from reporters desperate to find Quezada, while people coming out of stores hollered to each other about the sudden fortune to befall one of their own.

“Hey Charlie,” one man yelled to another outside a barbershop. “Why wasn't it you that won all that money?”

The fervor continued around Quezadas apartment building on School Street.

“I'm living next to a millionaire!” a woman announced from her doorway.

Powerball is played in 42 states, Washington, D.C., and the U.S. Virgin Islands. The chance of matching all five numbers and the Powerball number is about 1 in 175 million.

Sunil Sethi, 51, owner of Eagle Liquors, said lottery officials informed him when he opened at 9 a.m. that his store had sold the jackpot winner.

“We sold a lot of winners before,” he said. “Last year we had a winner for $156,000. We never had a winner this big. Maybe $30,000 or $40,000. We are one of the luckiest stores around here.”

More than $41 million worth of Powerball tickets were sold in New Jersey ahead of Saturday’s drawing, Hedinger said. Eagle Liquors will receive a $10,000 commission for selling the winning ticket.

Lottery tickets do a brisk business at Eagle Liquors, where one employee, Pravin Mankodia, 67, does nothing but sell tickets six days a week, from opening until closing.

Asked if he was selling more tickets Monday, Mankodia replied, “Ehhhhh,” and shrugged his shoulders, “not so much.”

But word was spreading among customers.

Elsa Ramirez, who runs the live poultry store two doors from Eagle Liquors, is a regular there. “I spend $50 a day on the lottery,” she said. “Last year I won $20,000, but you can see I’m still here with the chickens.”

“Do I think I’ll be lucky?” said Willie Mateo, 56, of Passaic. “Yes, I do. This is a lucky store.”

The cardboard “Lucky Location, play here” sign that dangles over the lottery ticket counter at Eagle Liquors was provided by the lottery commission because the store “sold a winning ticket in the past,” said Judith Drucker, a commission spokeswoman.

Another customer Michel DeLillo, 51, offered congratulations to the jackpot winner and some advice.

“Don’t do anything stupid,” she said. “Get out of the neighborhood.”

DeLillo said if she ever wins the jackpot, she would “help a lot of people … and animals, especially cats.”

For others buying tickets, the thought of winning a jackpot was the stuff of dreams as well as doing right by the community.

“I love it here, but if I had the money I’d go back to South Carolina and retire,” said James Brown, 56.

The neighborhood around Eagle Liquors is gritty and industrial, with small groceries, restaurants and the live poultry market down the block.

Diomedes Minaya, a candidate running for Passaic mayor in the May 14 election, said he would have split the money if he had won — “a little for yourself, and a little goes back to the community.”

Douglas Frederick, 50, of Passaic, said he comes in to Eagle Liquors twice a day to buy tickets — scratch games in the morning and Pick 3 in the afternoon. He’s won several times in the past, usually around $100 or $300.

“I wish I could win the big one,” he said. “I would still stay here. I would represent my community. We need to have it built up a little better.

“I would like to open up a gym around here so that the kids could have someplace to go instead of being out here on the street. That’s the most important.”

Lottery winners often take time before claiming their prize, Hedinger said, so they can speak to financial advisors and prepare for the avalanche of wealth and public attention.

“I would advise them to seek professional advice ... and take their time to figure out what they’re going to do,” she said. Lottery winners can take up to one year before claiming their prizes.

“Whoever they are, they should sign the back of that ticket immediately and put it in a safe place. They can take it to any New Jersey Lottery retailer and have it validated,” Hedinger said.

Once a winner comes forward, though, they will enter the public eye. The names and hometowns of people who win the lottery are public records in New Jersey. A bill is moving through the state Legislature to allow winners to stay anonymous for up to one year, but it has not yet become law.

Copyright © 2013 North Jersey Media Group

http://i1357.photobucket.com/albums/q749/transfan1/Pedro_Quezada_zps41b7155c.jpg

(Bergen Record/Chris Pedota) Pedro Quezada at Eagle Liquors in Passaic, New Jersey Monday, March 25.

Vladimir Putin
03-26-2013, 08:27 PM
Holding a live press conference right now.

http://i1357.photobucket.com/albums/q749/transfan1/Powerball_zpse2a5d464.jpg

FreddieGomez
03-26-2013, 11:55 PM
They're Dominican

Wendy Summers
03-27-2013, 12:15 AM
They're Dominican

Scrubs - My musical - Dominican - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsorXfwfA9g)

Willie Escalade
03-27-2013, 12:48 AM
If I had won all of that money, I would have stayed anonymous. You KNOW the freeloaders are going to come out of the woodwork...

Vladimir Putin
03-29-2013, 09:52 AM
The (Bergen) Record, Wednesday, March 27, 2013, 5:59pm EDT

PASSAIC POWERBALL WINNER OWES $29,000 IN CHILD SUPPORT, SHERIFF SAYS

By MONSY ALVARADO, The Bergen Record

The Passaic man who purchased the winning $338 million Powerball lottery ticket owes approximately $29,000 in child support, Passaic County Sheriff Richard H. Berdnik said Wednesday, but the money is expected to be paid by the state before his lottery winnings are released.

Passaic County Sheriff’s Department officers stopped by Pedro Quezada’s School Street apartment Wednesday afternoon, according to neighbors. Berdnik said the department’s Warrant Squad is attempting to notify Quezada about the issue in an effort to have it “resolved in a timely manner.” If for some reason the child support weren’t paid, Quezada could face arrest.

“Because of Mr. Quezada’s large winnings, generally the New Jersey Division of Lottery would satisfy the judgment before all of the winnings are released,” Berdnik said in an E-mail. “Like everyone else, until this warrant is satisfied, Mr. Quezada is subject to potential arrest.”

Quezada, 44, who officially claimed his winning ticket in Trenton on Tuesday, is the father of five children ranging in age from 5 to 23 years old. He has said some of his children live in North Carolina.

Bill Maer, spokesman for the Sheriff’s Department, said that the unpaid child support payments go back to 2009, and that the warrant is several years old. He said the Sheriff’s Department does not have information on which children are covered by the payments. The county probation department determined late Tuesday, after Quezada was presented with a ceremonial check in Trenton, that he was the person named in the warrant, Maer said.

On Wednesday, no one answered the door at the apartment where Quezada and his wife, Ines Sanchez, have lived for years.

Quezada, who emigrated from the Dominican Republic 26 years ago, was thrust into the spotlight on Monday after he walked into Eagle Liquors on Passaic Street to verify the winning ticket, becoming the sole winner of the prize. He had purchased the Quick Pick ticket, along with a Jersey Cash 5 ticket, according to lottery officials.

A day later, he officially claimed his winnings in Trenton and answered questions from reporters about his win.

He said he didn’t know what his future held or what he planned to do with the money other than buy a good car and give his wife anything she wanted. He called his family poor, and humble, but declined to talk about his past hardships. In 2009, there was a fire at the bodega he and his son operated for years, and that same year Quezada went through a foreclosure on a property he had bought three years earlier, according to public records.

Quezada, who was accompanied by family at the press conference, did assert that he and his son would no longer work in the Eighth Street bodega. On Wednesday, Apple Deli & Grocery went up for sale.

Quezada’s son, Casiano Quezada, opened the business in the morning, and said he planned to continue to work, despite what his father had proclaimed the day before.

“I have a responsibility to my customers,” Casiano Quezada said.

But a few hours later, a black and orange sign that read “FOR SALE” was taped to the metal shutters that cover the entrance.

“How quickly things change,” said Frank Matarazzo, who owns a building on the street. “I think he’s overwhelmed and doesn’t know what to do.”

Allen Beam of Lodi, who drove by the bodega, said he was interested in buying the business. His companion tried calling the number on the sign, but could not get through.

“He’s been there for a while so I would think it’s somewhat profitable,” he said. “I’m looking for something to invest in.”

Local residents walking by the store wondered about Quezada’s future plans, if they would see him again, and if the family would sell the grocery store or just give it away.

“I’m surprised he has the sign,” said John Caggia, who owns a building across the street.

Over on School Street, where Quezada and Sanchez live, neighbors said they didn’t think the family would be there much longer, and were glad to hear that he closed the store.

“It’s great, I wouldn’t work either,” said Luis Rolon.

Neighbors said they saw Quezada and his wife Tuesday night while they carried out clothing from their two-bedroom apartment, but didn’t know whether they had moved out for good yet.

Woody Solemini, whose brother owns the three-story brick structure, said he hadn’t heard from the couple. He said their rent is paid until April 1, and that the lease was in Ines Sanchez’s name. The lease expired a while ago, he said, but the family was living in the 1,000-square-foot apartment month-to-month.

“They probably left, and left the furniture in there. I would do that,” he said.

Solemini said he painted the third-floor apartment and spoke to Sanchez on occasion. He described her as an “angel” who deserves the win, and more.

“God bless them both,” he said.

Across the street from the bodega, Lou Gill expressed similar sentiment as he stood in the Polish food market his family has owned for the past 60 years. He and his wife said the “For Sale” sign went up sometime in the late morning or early afternoon, and that they expected Quezada to give up the business eventually.

“I’m happy for him,” he said. “It’s difficult to make a living over here. He doesn’t need the money anymore.”

But others worried about the family’s well-being.

“It’s good they sell it, because it’s not safe for them to be there,” said Maria Almonte, who lives next door to the bodega. “They have a different life now, and they have to adapt to the life that is waiting for them.”

Copyright © 2013 North Jersey Media Group. All rights reserved.

http://i1357.photobucket.com/albums/q749/transfan1/Powerball_winner_zps502db61b.jpg

(Bergen Record/Marko Georgiev) A 'For Sale' sign is posted on the door to the Apple Deli and Grocery in Passaic, New Jersey Wednesday, March 27.