PDA

View Full Version : Bowie

Prospero
03-23-2013, 01:31 PM
I am sure many people who post here are or have been fans of David Bowie. His impact on contemporary culture is pretty indisputable.

I have no hesitation in recommending the big Bowie show at the Victoria and Albert museum in London. It's a wonderfully immersive experience - and visitors should allow a good two hours. He was and remains a fascinating character and this is a terrific exploration of his life and work. However it hardly demystifies him. Instead it adds to his mystique.

And as his wife Imam said in an interview recently she is married to david jones, not Bowie who is an invention who then invents more and more personas. That alone should strike a chord with many people here.

Banty
03-23-2013, 01:37 PM
Attended his "GLASS SPIDER" show.
A very memorable experience.

Marky_B
03-23-2013, 01:58 PM
I'm eager to go but might leave it a few weeks as I heard on 6Music this morning that 42000 advance tickets had been sold (a new record for any exhibition at the V&A)!!!

Prospero
03-23-2013, 02:18 PM
True Marky.... but if you leave it too long all the tickets will be sold. What an insane marketing exercise the whole Bowie show and new album have been. or should i say, supremely successful. The new album is topping the Uk charts right now too.

David Bowie / "The Stars(Are Out Tonight) - Floria Sigismondi - QUAD on Vimeo (http://vimeo.com/61092901)

GroobySteven
03-23-2013, 04:32 PM
Loving the new album.

Saw him on a Sound and Vision Tour in the late 90's I think.

Prospero
03-23-2013, 06:15 PM
I never got to see a proper Bowie concert - but I did see him in the shadows playing piano with Iggy Pop in manchester. And I had a friend years ago who'd briefly lived with him in Beckenham in the 1960s.

Stavros
03-23-2013, 06:45 PM
I never got to see a proper Bowie concert - but I did see him in the shadows playing piano with Iggy Pop in manchester. And I had a friend years ago who'd briefly lived with him in Beckenham in the 1960s.

Bill Wyman lived across the border in Penge for a while in the mid-1960s, and there was a pub by Beckenham Railway station where bands like John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers used to play, in the days when there were real musicians to be seen and heard. Bowie proved that in pop you can have a successful career even if you have a voice that sounds like blotting paper dipped in cat piss, rather like Madonna before her time. He is also the reason why I don't have a copy of The Man Who Fell to Earth. Shame really, he must be good at something -pretending? Bowie had an affair with the Dutch transexual Romy Haag, who appeared with Eva Robins in the film Mascara which is unavailable on dvd. One of my best friends is a Bowie fan, we agree to disagree on it.

Ms.Stepford
03-23-2013, 06:50 PM
I grew up on Bowie! My mom refers to him as just 'David'.

giovanni_hotel
03-23-2013, 06:53 PM
Wondering if Bowie is a bigger star in the States than his is in Europe??

One spring in a freshman American history course, I had a professor offer the thesis the greatest American rock bands were the Who/the Beatles/Pink Floyd and the Rolling Stones.
His point being there were no greater bands stateside than those 4 collectively.

I still occasionally meet teens who are listening to Bowie for the first time and getting their minds blown. That's a good thing.

GroobySteven
03-23-2013, 07:17 PM
Wondering if Bowie is a bigger star in the States than his is in Europe??

He's pretty huge in the UK!

tvkim
03-23-2013, 07:22 PM
Watched 'The Prestige' last night in which Dave Bowie starred

Does that guy never get old?

He looks better now than ever!

http://www.imdb.co.uk/title/tt0482571/

Prospero
03-23-2013, 08:07 PM
"a voice like blotting paper dipped in cat's piss. " Quoth Stavros - the man who also hates Elvis Presley. I wonder what you make of the vocal skills of Bob Dylan or Tom Waits Stavros? What about Mick Jagger?

Bowie is a superlative creative figure. You take the voice as part of the territory. My opinion of course.
I don't recall ever hearing blotting paper dipped in cat's piss.

Prospero
03-23-2013, 08:30 PM
Cracked Actor - David Bowie - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkEvAvIGK-w)

Sulka_bewitched_me
03-23-2013, 09:28 PM
True Marky.... but if you leave it too long all the tickets will be sold. What an insane marketing exercise the whole Bowie show and new album have been. or should i say, supremely successful. The new album is topping the Uk charts right now too.

David Bowie / "The Stars(Are Out Tonight) - Floria Sigismondi - QUAD on Vimeo (http://vimeo.com/61092901)
Hey Prospero....is that Tilda Swinton in the video? If not man is she a dead ringer for her.

Prospero
03-24-2013, 01:50 AM
It IS Tilda Swinton - and also Andrej Pejic.

Lovecox
03-24-2013, 02:09 AM
Cracked Actor - David Bowie - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkEvAvIGK-w)

I have been a huge Bowie fan all my life. I remember seeing him doing Rock and Roll suicide on TV in a dress and I was mesmerised. What a genius. Cracked Actor is my favorite Bowie song. Mick Ronson's guitar never sounded better. It's the filthiest guitar sound ever put on record by anyone.

Steve-Oh
03-24-2013, 07:40 AM
Been interested in his work since I was a kid.
His style never gets old and always surprises me.
He tought me how to appreciate an artist regardless of the rumors of the day.
I have several DVDs: Reality, Ziggy Stardust & Storytellers. All very solid performances.

darkrose2000
03-24-2013, 12:57 PM
Just checked...The fact that every ticket for the event in Victoria and Albert museum is sold till mid of June speak for itself...

Prospero
03-24-2013, 01:39 PM
If you become a V & A member - and the cost isn't that high - you can visit whenever you like, as often as you like, stay as long as you like, queue jump, and not pay any additional charges. For this and any other special exhibitions they have. Also other benefits. Sorry if this seems like an advert.