PDA

View Full Version : SNL reaction to trailer spoof:

Chazz83
03-11-2013, 06:09 PM
Hi,

I wanted to see how many of my trans sisters thought of SNL's skit She's got a dick spoof. Personally, I found it harious but there's a lot of people who are saying it derogative and poking fun at transgendered people. If you have seen it this past weekend what's your opinion? If you haven't go on YouTube and type SNL She's got a dick

Peace & Love,

Chazz

trish
03-11-2013, 06:35 PM
Look's like a nice, feel-good, romantic, dick-flick. I'd go and see it.

nysprod
03-11-2013, 07:59 PM
Omg, it's meant to be funny and it is...no one should be offended.

Deepdarkfucker
03-11-2013, 08:27 PM
It was funny as hell

BrassVillanueva
03-11-2013, 09:12 PM
I was actually rather impressed! It was genuinely funny without being offensive. It very EASILY could have gone the "oh my God, ew, that's disgusting" route, but it didn't. In fact, it was actually quite POSITIVE. On a humorous note, Kenan Thompson's last line ("Can I see it?") immediately had me thinking of this board for obvious reasons.

Wendy Summers
03-11-2013, 09:12 PM
Personally I think it's well handled. The characters show acceptance - the joke isn't "she's a TRAP" -- about the only downside I see was not hiring a trans performer to play the role in the spoof.

Justin Timberlake She's Got A Dick Spoof Trailer SNL - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVg6dwJn_J8)

Wendy Summers
03-11-2013, 09:13 PM
On a humorous note, Kenan Thompson's last line ("Can I see it?") immediately had me thinking of this board for obvious reasons.

The "sometimes the THING you want is right in front of you" did that for me LOL

BrassVillanueva
03-11-2013, 09:14 PM
The "sometimes the THING you want is right in front of you" did that for me LOL

Yeah, that one was pretty good, too!

RallyCola
03-11-2013, 09:26 PM
it was ok. it was tasteful and not offensive. it could have been funnier, like everything on SNL.

Merkurie
03-11-2013, 09:36 PM
I think it was funny.
I liked that it was also a spoof on the perenial NYC date movie, with all the stock characters.

I think it is healthy. We need to come to terms with transgender relationships as a society and we have a long way to go.

lifeisfiction
03-11-2013, 10:10 PM
Personally I think it's well handled. The characters show acceptance - the joke isn't "she's a TRAP" -- about the only downside I see was not hiring a trans performer to play the role in the spoof.

Its SNL, they don't hire anyone for just a skit. Its either them or a celebrity. They make no exceptions.

littletwink
03-11-2013, 10:23 PM
about the only downside I see was not hiring a trans performer to play the role in the spoof.

She's not?? Damn, I got fooled again.

alpha2117
03-11-2013, 10:32 PM
The thing is that they just play her character as totally normal and call her "an adorable brunette" which means although it's just a glorified dick joke it's not an overly derogatory one. Now had Timberlake done a song with Lonely Island called "She's Got a Dick" it would probably have been funnier but much more offensive.

Wendy Summers
03-11-2013, 10:34 PM
Its SNL, they don't hire anyone for just a skit. Its either them or a celebrity. They make no exceptions.

That's not true - they do bring on smaller comedians from NY as day players when they don't have someone in cast

lifeisfiction
03-11-2013, 10:50 PM
That's not true - they do bring on smaller comedians from NY as day players when they don't have someone in cast

I will put money on it Wendy that even the comedians that we think are smaller, are still people with enough of background for them to hire. SNL likes sticking to talent they know. Its just their way of business. Remember when they had to search for a comedian just to play the President. Yes there are tons of comedians, but like I said they only stick to talent they know.

C. Saw
03-12-2013, 01:13 AM
I thought it was funny...and a movie that I'd like to see. Not sure main stream Hollywood would put this out, although they certainly could with a title change.

EZWind
03-12-2013, 02:07 AM
...gave me a chuckle....didn't seem offensive
...LOVE Nasim...they should feature her a lot more
...was hoping she'd get more air time after Kristen Wiig left...they're letting me down

BrassVillanueva
03-12-2013, 02:33 AM
...LOVE Nasim...they should feature her a lot more
...was hoping she'd get more air time after Kristen Wiig left...they're letting me down

The thing with SNL is that it's all competitive. You have to fight for your material (meaning whatever you, your writers and your fellow cast members came up with together) to get on the show, and even then, if you're not writing material that the producers think will fit in with the rest of the episode, you're not going to get it on the air. Your sketch may even make it to dress rehearsal, but if it doesn't work or if it doesn't get as good a response as something else, it's going to get cut for the live show. There are sketches that literally take entire SEASONS to get aired, and you wouldn't BELIEVE the volume of sketches that never make it. So that said, it's not necessarily that Nasim is being held back, it may just be that her style isn't fitting in well with the type of humor they're going for lately. But I would argue that it's not necessarily that, either. I would say it's that they have a very strong cast at present, and everyone's been getting their chance to shine lately. Even the newbies have had some fantastic moments this season. That's pretty rare for SNL.