PDA

View Full Version : Not the Oscars Thread

Stavros
02-24-2013, 08:45 PM
Tonight is Oscar's night, one of those rigged events in which members of an academy can vote for films they haven't seen, for films in which they have a financial interest, and vote against because they don't like the producer/director/actor etc, as useful a guide to film this last year as a 1960 Guide to Mountaineering in Albania. One only hopes trashmeister tarantino walks away with zilch.

So what films, performances outside tonights selection did it for you this last year -it doesn't even have to be a new release, I also take time to catch up with films.

I could cite Ozu's 1949 film, Late Spring, which I saw for the first time in the last 12 months, a film of exquisite beauty with a heart-aching performance from Setsuko Hara.

I could also cite the dark beauty of Bela Tarr's The Turin Horse (2011), a film about the end of the world, which in a sense it is for the director, who says he will never make another film.

Best documentaries I saw were Wim Wenders' film Pina (2011), a lyrical, visually stunning celebration of the German choreographer Pina Bausch, an undisputed genius of modern dance; and Eugene Jarecki's The House I live In (2012) a shattering film about the 'war on drugs' in the USA.

Best film, and best performance must go to Shame (Steve McQueen, 2011) and Michael Fassbender, a film which is about sex (rather than just pretending to show it), a compelling study, bravely made, yet never prurient or shallow with superb acting from all involved.

Prospero
02-24-2013, 09:20 PM
The Turin Horse was, I am sorry to say, one of the most tedious films I saw in recent months. Watching it felt like the end of the world.
I share your enthusiasm for Pina. A wonderful film.
The Danish film "The Hunt" was a terrific film.

But you know, rigged or not, Daniel Day Lewis and Lincoln deserve their expected awards.

dakota87
02-24-2013, 09:40 PM
You should check out the Greek film Strella if not for anything but lead actress Mina Orfanou. She's very talented and pretty. It's a flawed movie in some ways, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. It came out several years ago but I just got around to watching it recently. I had to order it off ebay as it just can't be found in the states although I believe it was shown during Greek film festivals in the big cities. The movie is about a TS prostitute and her life and relationships, and a twist. The copy I received is without English subtitles but I was able to understand it with my rudimentary knowledge of Greek. Non Greek speakers can download English subtitles from online sources and have them displayed onscreen if you use VLC software.

Prospero
02-24-2013, 09:45 PM
Strella was a great film and great to see a movie which showcases transexualism positively. It came out in 2009.

robertlouis
02-25-2013, 03:11 AM
Argentinian film called "Carancho", (The Vulture) about an ambulance-chasing lawyer, starring the excellent Ricardo Darin from the Oscar-winning "The Secret in Their Eyes". An intelligent, engaging and gripping thriller.

And "Rust and Bone", directed by Jacques Audiard and starring Marion Cotillard and Matthias Schoonhaerts. How this has escaped a shelf full of awards is entirely beyond me.

But as far as the Oscars go, I heartily agree with Prospero. That said, it looks very much as if the Academy will follow the trend and give the best picture award to "Argo". Clealry nonsense, as its director, Ben Affleck, wasn't nominated as best director. Just how does that work?

flabbybody
02-25-2013, 07:59 AM
not too much logic to the Oscars robert. They manage to get the biggest movie stars on the planet to come on TV, throw in the First Lady, and it's all done live..... so we all watch it, even if you've never seen the movies nominated.
Momentarily felt bad for that beautiful young lady who won best actress and tripped walking up the stairs. Then when she started her speech she put everyone at ease. And that's why we love the Oscars.

Prospero
02-25-2013, 08:33 AM
No surprises at the Oscars. Biggest miss of the night - and at the BAFTA awards - was nothing for "Moonrise Kingdom" directed by Wes Anderson. A delightful and original piece of whimsy.

be2378
02-25-2013, 09:03 AM
My vote is for the USS Missouri for best actor, becuase when she broadsided the bad alien ship in Battleship, I vomited Rainbows.

robertlouis
02-25-2013, 09:08 AM
No surprises at the Oscars. Biggest miss of the night - and at the BAFTA awards - was nothing for "Moonrise Kingdom" directed by Wes Anderson. A delightful and original piece of whimsy.

But congratulations and plaudits to Daniel-Day Lewis, the first actor to win the best actor award three times.

danoblue
02-25-2013, 09:40 AM
Sally Field and Seth as the Flying Nun was AWESOME! I've loved Sally for many many years.

I think the Rex Reed / Adele joke flew over people's heads but it was funny.

Of the major awards Tommy Lee Jones or Robert DeNiro should have won, not Christoph.

Lincoln should have been best pic and Spielberg best director.

Dark Knight Rises and Moonrise Kingdom should have been nominated for best pic especially when there's a potential for 10 spots. Kick out Amour.

Prospero
02-25-2013, 10:42 AM
Kick out Amour? Admittedly a gloomy film but a very moving one, brilliantly acted.

GroobyKrissy
02-25-2013, 05:37 PM
You know, I was trying to think of a movie that I saw in 2012 that really moved me or that I thought was remarkable and came up with nada. There were some fun movies to watch and some that were impressive visually but probably the closest I came to actually being moved...? Les Mis... as trite as that is.