PDA

View Full Version : George Galloway's Racist Comments at Oxford University...

Ben
02-23-2013, 03:47 AM
British Politician George Galloway stormed out of the room after finding out that his opponent was an Israeli at an Oxford University event.

George Galloway's Racist Comments at Oxford University - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7RZDwFMTIY)

broncofan
02-23-2013, 04:06 AM
I guess one could argue that few things are racist per se (except saying I dislike this person because he is of ethnic origin x). Racist motives usually have to be inferred and doing so requires speculation. But I can't for the life of me see what purpose the policy of not debating individuals from a particular country serves. The purpose of debate is to focus on the ideas of your opponent and not his citizenship which is surely immaterial. Right?

Ben
02-23-2013, 04:08 AM
I guess one could argue that few things are racist per se (except saying I dislike this person because he is of ethnic origin x). Racist motives usually have to be inferred and doing so requires speculation. But I can't for the life of me see what purpose the policy of not debating individuals from a particular country serves. The purpose of debate is to focus on the ideas of your opponent and not his citizenship which is surely immaterial. Right?

Galloway did say this and I quote:

“I refused this evening to debate with an Israeli, a supporter of the Apartheid state of Israel,” Galloway said in a statement after the debate.

“The reason is simple: no recognition, no normalization. Just boycott, divestment and sanctions, until the Apartheid state is defeated. I never debate with Israelis nor speak to their media. If they want to speak about Palestine, the address is the PLO [Palestine Liberation Organization,” he added.

broncofan
02-23-2013, 04:19 AM
He knew that the person he was debating was taking a position that was the opposite of his. Otherwise it would not have been a debate. The only thing he did not know was the nationality of his opponent. His decision not to debate was not based on his opponent's views or support but his citizenship. This is not a policy one could apply consistently without alienating people purely on the basis of where they were born.

Now, it would be quite another thing if he said he would not debate people because they have a particular view and he finds that view reprehensible. This is sort of what he's pretending after the fact with his use of the word "support". Some people do this because they think certain views are so low credibility they should not be given a forum. But the decisive factor in his decision was his opponent's citizenship. I don't think it's a reasonable principle.

Ben
02-23-2013, 04:26 AM
He knew that the person he was debating was taking a position that was the opposite of his. Otherwise it would not have been a debate. The only thing he did not know was the nationality of his opponent. His decision not to debate was not based on his opponent's views or support but his citizenship. This is not a policy one could apply consistently without alienating people purely on the basis of where they were born.

Now, it would be quite another thing if he said he would not debate people because they have a particular view and he finds that view reprehensible. This is sort of what he's pretending after the fact with his use of the word "support". Some people do this because they think certain views are so low credibility they should not be given a forum. But the decisive factor in his decision was his opponent's citizenship. I don't think it's a reasonable principle.

He should've debated him.... And then put forward his positions. I mean, we need a healthy dialogue, as it were.
I mean, Noam Chomsky debated Alan Dershowitz and finds him quite objectionable.

Ben
02-23-2013, 04:32 AM
George Galloway explains debate walkout

George Galloway explains debate walkout - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruLWGW4-IKU)

robertlouis
02-23-2013, 05:08 AM
Galloway has become a bad joke. Last year he described the rape of a sleeping woman as "bad sexual etiquette".

STFU, George.

Stavros
02-23-2013, 05:41 AM
I am not sure Galloway ever debates anyway, he tends to attack anyone who doesn't agree with him -as happened with a member of his own party who left in disgust. The absurdity of his position is that he 'boycotts' Israel in all its forms (or so he says, but he probably uses a mobile phone that wouldn't work without the technology invented in Israel), yet Palestinians talk to Israelis every day -they have to; and that includes the politicians. But let George be George, he can't do any more damage to his reputation, nobody takes him seriously.

robertlouis
02-23-2013, 06:33 AM
I am not sure Galloway ever debates anyway, he tends to attack anyone who doesn't agree with him -as happened with a member of his own party who left in disgust. The absurdity of his position is that he 'boycotts' Israel in all its forms (or so he says, but he probably uses a mobile phone that wouldn't work without the technology invented in Israel), yet Palestinians talk to Israelis every day -they have to; and that includes the politicians. But let George be George, he can't do any more damage to his reputation, nobody takes him seriously.

How very true. This was his nemesis. Cringeworthy.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-D5XoNWFSQ

fred41
02-23-2013, 06:43 AM

funny though, very funny......thanks Rob...lol.

fivekatz
02-23-2013, 06:44 AM
Nice to see that Washington, DC has not cornered the market on polarizing wing nuts.

broncofan
02-23-2013, 08:02 AM
I've actually known of George Galloway since about 2005 when I watched his debate with Christopher Hitchens in New York. It was televised and from time to time I hear about him doing things like going on Big Brother or bullying old ladies or saying you don't need permission to insert your penis in a woman etc.

One time on his radio show an elderly woman called up and said something mildly anti-semitic and George bullied the shit out of her:D. I feel a bit ungrateful saying this but he somehow had me feeling bad for the woman. It was posted on youtube under a title George Galloway tells off anti-semitic woman. I checked it's still there. I don't want to post it cause I remember how uncomfortable I felt listening to it. If I remember she said something about not thinking the Torah should be displayed some place or other out of solidarity with the Palestinians. Not a defensible position but the woman had a quivering voice and was elderly I think. Come on George, surely you can do better than that;.

Stavros
02-23-2013, 12:20 PM
I first became aware of Galloway in 1983 when he became General Secretary of the charity War on Want -the previous GS had spoken at one of Labour Party meetings and was articulate, passionate and although WoW was set up by Victor Gollancz and members of the Labour Party, was not a left-wing clone -he established the intellectual credentials of the charity through some pamphlets on a range of issues relating to poverty, I used to buy them and go to some of its meetings. By the end of the 1980s, Galloway had turned WoW into his personal vehicle for greatness, while his indifference to the charity's administration and finances almost bankrupted it and led to a couple of enquiries which failed to establish if Galloway had pocketed some of its funds; the charity's reputation declined when he was GS, because he was GS -anyway he used the profile he got from WoW to be selected as Labour MP in 1987 (Glasgow Hillhead) from which position he continued then, as now, to promote himself, convinced as he is that he a very important man indeed. The odd thing is that it is alleged he converted to Islam maybe around 2000 although he married two of his (so far) four wives in Muslim ceremonies which are not open to non-Muslims, the first was in 1997.Being a Muslim would be an advantage for an MP in a heavily Muslim seat in Bradford. The name of his party, Respect, is wholly ironic, in view of his opinions and behaviour.

martin48
02-23-2013, 12:48 PM

Was waiting for this clip to come up - a classic

Prospero
02-23-2013, 01:47 PM
Stavros and Robert Louis have broadly summed up the ludicrous nature of George Galloway today. He was once a principled politician, but a man who, despite his obvious intelligence and skill as a debater, is now a buffoon and a demagogue. That is not in anyway a judgement upon his attitude to israel. But this is a man who is also a regular presenter for Press TV (as in the long tirade by Galloway posted by Ben), a London based TV channel which is, in essence, a propaganda mouthpiece for the state of Iran. A genuinely principled man who also find it odd to be paid by Ahmadinijad and the Mullahs for his slot on Press TV and yet refuses to debate with Israelis or - as he would characterise them - representatives of the "zionist entity." Galloway says he is not against Jews, but he does line up with iran and with Hamas who have defined themselves as not only just anti-Israel, but as hating Jews.

Jericho
02-23-2013, 03:53 PM
Damn, didn't know that cock was still alive! :shrug

broncofan
02-23-2013, 04:18 PM
He is intelligent and an effective debater, but the demagoguery is too obvious. He doesn't seem to analyze the issues but goes for cheap slogans. Interesting post from Stavros about WOW.

I remember when he testified in Congress before Senators Norm Coleman and Carl Levin he said something about being willing to raise money from any source to fund his charities. He then accused Carl Levin of being a warmonger and supporting the Iraq War. When Carl Levin said he voted against the Iraq war Galloway claimed when he said "you" he meant Congress as a body and not Carl Levin. He then wrote a book about taking on Washington which I'm sure you guys know.

A narcissist to his core. This will not be his last controversy. He's a much more interesting character than the tea party guys we have over here.

Prospero
02-23-2013, 06:25 PM
Narcissist is probably spot on. And yes - that was an interesting post by Stavros. I'd not read it until now.

Ben
02-24-2013, 02:25 AM
George Galloway must not fall into the trap of rape denial

Men supposed to be our allies are trying to rewrite definitions of rape to suit their uncritical adoration of the WikiLeaks founder:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/aug/21/julian-assange-rape-denial

robertlouis
02-24-2013, 08:27 AM
Narcissist is probably spot on. And yes - that was an interesting post by Stavros. I'd not read it until now.

From my involvement in politics in the 80s, when he was elected MP for Glasgow Hillhead, he was certainly an accomplished orator, but to throw one of his own phrases back at him, also very much the preening poppinjay, with a reputation for not only wheeling and dealing to further his own ambitions at party expense, but also for reckless womanising.

As we say up there, jist a chancer and a wee shite.

tragicomedy
03-06-2013, 07:23 AM
British Politician George Galloway stormed out of the room after finding out that his opponent was an Israeli at an Oxford University event.

George Galloway's Racist Comments at Oxford University - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7RZDwFMTIY)

I'm not sure if racist is the appropriate word for it.

Was he not given a description of his opponent? Or maybe he just didn't do his due diligence...

robertlouis
03-06-2013, 07:33 AM
I'm not sure if racist is the appropriate word for it.

Was he not given a description of his opponent? Or maybe he just didn't do his due diligence...

He knew damn fine. The man's a twat.

Now he's the kind of posturing loudmouth who does give white liberals a very bad name indeed!

tragicomedy
03-06-2013, 08:50 AM
He knew damn fine. The man's a twat.

Now he's the kind of posturing loudmouth who does give white liberals a very bad name indeed!

So you're saying that he did this in a dramatic fashion in order to make a point, but instead embarassed himself?

robertlouis
03-06-2013, 08:52 AM
So you're saying that he did this in a dramatic fashion in order to make a point, but instead embarassed himself?

Hopefully, yes.