PDA

View Full Version : The Gay Republican: Oxymoron, or Just Moron?

chefmike
04-25-2006, 10:07 PM
A little food for thought... for you misguided log-cabin repugs out there...and make no mistake, in the eyes of the repugs you TS admirers are gay...very, very gay... :wink:

The Gay Republican: Oxymoron, or Just Moron?
Gene Stone

Given that it's spring of an election year, one of the most beloved of all Republican rites is in full bloom: gay bashing. It's not enough that the state republican parties have specifically told gay men and women they are not welcome in the party, or that one by one, they are trying to amend state constitutions to prohibit gay marriage (which in most of these states is already banned by law); U.S. Senate Republicans have announced that they are planning, once more, to argue the need for a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage.

This is a debate more urgent, they suggest, than the war in Iraq, immigration, education, or terrorism.

What's different this year is that it's not just the right-wing Republicans doing the bashing. The latest news is that the most gay-friendly of Republicans, former New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani, is campaigning for arch-homophobes Senator Rick Santorum and Iowa's gubernatorial candidate Jim Nussle. In fact, the few non-right wing Republicans left in the party are all out on the campaign trail, avidly supporting the most extreme anti-gay rhetoric of their fellow party members.

So once more, in response to the new gay bashing, comes the old question: Why would any gay man or woman belong to a party that has stated, over and over, as clearly as can be, without equivocation, that he or she is not welcome?

It's understandable why someone might not choose to be a Democrat. Those brought up in a family or culture where the traditional Republican party values were celebrated, such as smaller government and less taxes, might feel uncomfortable with the Democratic party (although these days it's the Republican party that seems to stand for pork barrel politics and large government).

But why specifically chose a party that loathes you? The answer is hard to fathom. Still, it's hard to avoid the self-hatred issue. Nearly all gay men and women are raised in families where there is little-to-no support for their core identity. So while self-loathing may be an over-used phrase, it's hard for most gays not to at least pass through a stage of wondering how they got that way, and whether it's some form of punishment (particularly for religious gays)--and hating it, and themselves.

Many gays work through these issues, and emerge into adulthood out as mature, self-accepting individuals.

But many gays never work these issues out. They remain in the closet for life, or enter straight relationships and opt for a life of secret encounters or self-denial. Some remain celibate. They accept the conservative societal view that homosexuality is wrong rather than natural, and they internalize that revulsion; instead of believing in the right to live a fulfilling life, they accept society's view that they have no rights.

Many of these man and women never come out, or if they do, they come out as Republicans, which is almost the same thing as not coming out at all. Gay Republicans can be among the most homophobic of all Americans. They may protest that they are not single issue voters, that taxes, terrorism, and trade matter more to them than gay rights, but that rationale doesn't wash anymore. In the days of a Republican party that embraced moderates, an argument could be made that the party might someday accept gays, or that by working from within, change could be achieved.

But no more. Today the bottom line is that there simply is no excuse left for any gay man or woman to embrace a party whose prime agenda is to stop him or her from enjoying the same rights as every other American.

Read George Bush's lips: The party doesn't want you. Can you hear that? It doesn't want you. You can't pretend any more that you can change it. It doesn't want you. You can't make a difference. It doesn't want you. If the Republican party was a night club, you'd be that poor schlub who never gets past the bouncer. Do you really want to spend the rest of your life standing in the rain outside of a party whose members are actively planning to hurt you?

That's worse than self-loathing. Today, that's just plain moronic.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/gene-stone/the-gay-republican-oxymo_b_19719.html

BeardedOne
04-26-2006, 12:42 AM
First off, chef, that's a great quote in your sig today. :claps

It sums up my life for sure. :?

...and make no mistake, in the eyes of the repugs you TS admirers are gay...very, very gay...

Hey! Just because I suck dick and take it up the ass doesn't mean...er...I'm not...uh...Well, you shouldn't think I'm...

Shit.

I guess I'll just have to make quiche. :lol:

:slimer

Quinn
04-26-2006, 12:48 AM
Hey! Just because I suck dick and take it up the ass doesn't mean...er...I'm not...uh...Well, you shouldn't think I'm...

Shit.

I guess I'll just have to make quiche. :lol:

LMAO...

-Quinn

Ecstatic
04-26-2006, 01:42 AM
Don't bogart that quiche!

BeardedOne
04-26-2006, 01:57 AM
Don't bogart that quiche!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

trapmasta
04-26-2006, 09:15 PM
chef mike
moron
or
moron?

chefmike
04-26-2006, 09:43 PM
beastmaster-
stick to what you do best, posting pics of fat chicks.

tsntx
04-26-2006, 10:12 PM
great article... as far as the preceding comment... rotflmPao :D -j

chefmike
05-18-2006, 09:58 PM
Senate panel OKs gay-marriage ban

By Andy Sullivan
Reuters
Thursday, May 18, 2006; 2:55 PM

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A U.S. Senate panel advanced a constitutional ban on same-sex marriage on Thursday as the committee chairman shouted "good riddance" to a Democrat who walked out of the tense session.

"If you want to leave, good riddance," The Senate Judiciary Chairman, Republican Arlen Specter, told Wisconsin Democratic Sen. Russell Feingold, who refused to participate because, he said, the meeting was not sufficiently open to the public.

"I've enjoyed your lecture too. See you later, Mr. Chairman," Feingold told the Pennsylvania senator before storming out of the private room where the meeting took place.

The testy exchange highlighted tensions over the proposal, which seeks to amend the U.S. Constitution to prevent states from recognizing same-sex marriages.

The measure passed 10-8 on a party-line vote. Specter said he voted for the amendment because he thought it should be taken up by the full Senate, even though he does not back it.

The gay-marriage ban is one of several hot-button social issues Republicans are raising to rally conservative voters ahead of November's congressional elections.

Because the measure seeks to change the Constitution, it must pass both houses of Congress by a two-thirds majority and then be approved by at least 38 states.

The Senate is expected to take up the bill in early June.

The bill's sponsor told reporters he does not expect it to pass the Senate but wanted to keep the issue in the public eye.

"If we quit bringing it up here and talking about it here, in effect we leave the decision-making process to the judicial side," Colorado Republican Sen. Wayne Allard said.

A similar effort failed in the Senate in 2004.

Gay marriage has been a hot topic since a Massachusetts court ruled in 2003 that the state legislature could not ban it, paving the way for America's first same-sex marriages in May the following year.

At least 13 states have passed amendments banning gay marriage while two -- Vermont and Connecticut -- have legalized civil unions. California, New Jersey, Maine, the District of Columbia and Hawaii each offer gay couples some legal rights as partners.

Legal challenges seeking permission for gays and lesbians to marry are pending in 10 states. Most recently, a Georgia state court struck down a state ban on Tuesday.

Just over half of all Americans oppose same-sex marriage, according to a March poll by the Pew Research center, down from 63 percent in February 2004.

Vermont Sen. Patrick Leahy, the committee's top Democrat, said the gay marriage ban was a waste of time for a committee that needs to tackle a wide range of other pressing issues, from judicial nominations to oversight of the National Security Administration's domestic-spying program.

"I didn't realize marriages were so threatened. Nor did my wife of 44 years," Leahy said.

Leahy said Republican Sen. Orrin Hatch, who supports the ban, has expressed support for polygamists in his home state of Utah.

"I never said that," Hatch responded. "I know some (polygamists) that are very sincere. ... Don't accuse me of wanting to have polygamy."

© 2006 Reuters

BeardedOne
05-19-2006, 12:41 AM
"I never said that," Hatch responded. "I know some (polygamists) that are very sincere. ... Don't accuse me of wanting to have polygamy."

He just wants to ban same-sex marriage so there'll be more potential partners left for him. :P

chefmike
10-08-2006, 12:24 AM
Now More Than Ever...

PapiQueRico
10-08-2006, 11:19 AM
Bush & jerkoff buddy discussing Whitehouse Page cock.

http://nightlight.typepad.com/nightlight/images/bush_foley_1.jpg