PDA

View Full Version : Curry Nazi Of Los Angeles

Dino Velvet
02-18-2013, 02:17 AM
Never saw the Seinfeld but I remember the Soup Nazi. We got a Curry Nazi out here. Went to this Indian place on Motor/Venice Bl. Get there and have to park on the street since the tiny lot is packed. Get in there and meet the gruff bastard. No smile, detection of humor, or any kind of good or friendly cheer at all. Place is cued up with a bunch of other curious Westside White folks like myself. He scowls in our general direction. We look at each other wondering if he's being rude not sure who's he's mad at if anybody at all.

Anyway, my turn finally to order. I told him I wanted the 3 item non-vegetarian special and he hollered the price including tax before I could utter another word. He then walks behind the back counter without warning. Couple minutes later he comes back acting like I was holding him up. I got Chicken Tikka Marsala, some other spicy chicken dish with a jalapeno, Tandoori Chicken, and some rice and salad. Got home and learned that asshole is a good cook.

http://www.hindu.com/2007/05/18/images/2007051810341201.jpghttp://jiaindianrestaurant.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/PHOTO-11.jpg

Idt20082008"
02-18-2013, 02:37 AM
I've been to that place Dino and the exact same thought the Soup Nazi lol! I'm curious too if it is all an act to get people talking (like we are lol), or if he really is an asshole. Either way, the food is damn good

Dino Velvet
02-18-2013, 02:41 AM
I've been to that place Dino and the exact same thought the Soup Nazi lol! I'm curious too if it is all an act to get people talking (like we are lol), or if he really is an asshole. Either way, the food is damn good

I actually scoped the place out a few weeks prior but was unsuccessful obtaining a take-out menu. Kept asking directing words toward the back of his head as it got further and further away from me seeming not to care.

I gave him all kinds of chances and was extremely polite and patient. He's an asshole alright. Whatever a Hindu Mulligan is I gave him 8 or 9 of them. I'm still going back.

glitterman
02-18-2013, 10:20 AM
Can we get a name? I want to try that asshole's food ; )

Prospero
02-18-2013, 10:43 AM
Bet Indian food in the Western hemisphere is in England. Had Indian food in France, US, Israel, Spain... never as good.

nysprod
02-18-2013, 04:38 PM
I'm giving away this idea because there's nothing I can do with it:

You're probably familiar with Chipolte Grill, the enormously popular Latin-style fast food chain.

How about the same idea but with Indian food. Call it Marsala Grill, Tika Grill, whatever.

Dino Velvet
02-18-2013, 06:52 PM
Can we get a name? I want to try that asshole's food ; )

Don't remember the name but it's on the Southwest corner of Motor/Venice. Same corner as Versailles. Green sign on building. Has so many flowers in front you assume they're in mourning.

I think his cousins run the 7-ELEVEN on Overland/Palms.

Tina Francis
02-18-2013, 10:28 PM
http://www.mayuraindianrestaurant.com/

...not a big fan of Indian food...at any rate, I'm a Brentwood boy; I go south of Pico and its " There Be Dragons In This Land "...:)

broncofan
02-19-2013, 02:17 AM
Bet Indian food in the Western hemisphere is in England. Had Indian food in France, US, Israel, Spain... never as good.
I've had Indian food only in U.S and U.K. and it was much better in U.K. There were also many more Indian restaurants. It's my favorite type of food so I had it several times in London and didn't have a bad meal. In U.S you can get Chicken Makhani and it is light yellow and runny. You can have Vindaloo with no discernible flavor except hot. It's really hit or miss here until you find a good place.

In NYC the best place I've been to is Dawat. Highly recommended on your next visit if you haven't been.

broncofan
02-19-2013, 02:19 AM
I'm giving away this idea because there's nothing I can do with it:

You're probably familiar with Chipolte Grill, the enormously popular Latin-style fast food chain.

How about the same idea but with Indian food. Call it Marsala Grill, Tika Grill, whatever.
I've seen it attempted. In Grand Central Station for a while they had a place I think called India Spice or something like that. It was a kiosk type place and quite good. I just don't know if the public is ready for it yet. It's like when I was a kid back in the 80's and people were afraid of sushi. There might come a time.

Dino Velvet
02-19-2013, 02:40 AM
http://www.mayuraindianrestaurant.com/

...not a big fan of Indian food...at any rate, I'm a Brentwood boy; I go south of Pico and its " There Be Dragons In This Land "...:)

I'm a Westwood guy and everything south of Pico is pretty much Mau-Mau Land to me too.

nysprod
02-19-2013, 03:03 AM
I've seen it attempted. In Grand Central Station for a while they had a place I think called India Spice or something like that. It was a kiosk type place and quite good. I just don't know if the public is ready for it yet. It's like when I was a kid back in the 80's and people were afraid of sushi. There might come a time.

You could be right, but let me tell you about one of my earlier ideas:

Back in the day gas stations were dirty...if you were lucky, there was a vending machine with stale peanuts and M&M's...I worked at one that had a lot of empty space so I said to the owner, "why don't you fix it up and sell stuff."

"Like what?" he sneered.

"You know, packaged food, good coffee, maybe even like household goods."

"You're outta yer fuckin" mind", he said, "no one's gonna buy no shit like that from a friggin' gas station!"

That was about 20 years before they told Zev Siegel he'd go broke trying to sell $3 cups of coffee...

robertlouis
02-19-2013, 03:06 AM

Just a bit anglo-centric there. Some of the finest and most authentic Indian food I've eaten - and I've been to India many times - was in Scotland.

Dino Velvet
02-19-2013, 03:11 AM
Just a bit anglo-centric there. Some of the finest and most authentic Indian food I've eaten - and I've been to India many times - was in Scotland.

I remember you saying you learned to cook the stuff from a gal you went out with.

nysprod
02-19-2013, 03:13 AM

Haggis Marsala?

robertlouis
02-19-2013, 03:16 AM
I remember you saying you learned to cook the stuff from a gal you went out with.

Yes, long time ago, but I still do them all from scratch, make up the spice mixes etc. My closest large town, Bedford, has a big Indian community and you can get all the rarer stuff like asafoetida, gram flour etc there.

robertlouis
02-19-2013, 03:16 AM
Haggis Marsala?

Irn Bru Vindaloo!

nysprod
02-19-2013, 03:35 AM
Irn Bru Vindaloo!

I've heard Bollyberdeen is becoming crowded...

Dino Velvet
02-19-2013, 03:40 AM
I got some good Lamb Vindaloo at a place called Nizam of India on Pico just west of Westwood.

http://nizamindianfood.com/
http://www.localresearch.com/site_media/media/uploads/img/2010/Apr/19/nizam_indian_cuisine_JPG_300x237_crop_upscale_q85. jpg

robertlouis
02-19-2013, 03:52 AM
I've heard Bollyberdeen is becoming crowded...

And funnily enough, there's a school called Madras College there!

robertlouis
02-19-2013, 03:54 AM
I got some good Lamb Vindaloo at a place called Nizam of India on Pico just west of Westwood.

http://nizamindianfood.com/
http://www.localresearch.com/site_media/media/uploads/img/2010/Apr/19/nizam_indian_cuisine_JPG_300x237_crop_upscale_q85. jpg

When you say "vindaloo", Dino, was it just heat? What you should get from a vindaloo is sourness - they use vinegar as well as chilli, plus a lot of potato and lemon to finish. When I first tried an authentic vindaloo in Kolkata it was a taste revelation.

Dino Velvet
02-19-2013, 04:01 AM
When you say "vindaloo", Dino, was it just heat? What you should get from a vindaloo is sourness - they use vinegar as well as chilli, plus a lot of potato and lemon to finish. When I first tried an authentic vindaloo in Kolkata it was a taste revelation.

It was my first time having it. Extremely tender lamb in a spicy red sauce. I didn't remember a sourness. There was potato and chili too.

Lately I've been enjoying learning and experimenting with Indian Food. I like a lot of Asian food. Gonna go for some Vietnamese soon. Tried that Pho soup but didn't like it. Maybe some beef and rice dish instead. Learning that kind of food too.

robertlouis
02-19-2013, 04:08 AM
It was my first time having it. Extremely tender lamb in a spicy red sauce. I didn't remember a sourness. There was potato and chili too.

Lately I've been enjoying learning and experimenting with Indian Food. I like a lot of Asian food. Gonna go for some Vietnamese soon. Tried that Pho soup but didn't like it. Maybe some beef and rice dish instead. Learning that kind of food too.

See if you can find an authentic Malaysian restaurant, Dino. The ideal blend of spice and flavour. And the girls are damn pretty too. :dancing:

While I've travelled a lot in Asia, some of the very best Asian food I've had was in Australia. Hundreds of great restaurants of all kinds, Chinese of every type - Beijing, Szechuan, Cantonese, Shanghai -, Vietnamese, Thai, Malaysian, Indonesian, Japanese, Korean, Laotian, Cambodian, they're all there and great value. Add in the hospitable Aussie tradition where you take your own drink and they don't charge corkage and it's a great night out.

But Singapore is the best place in the world for great street food.

sukumvit boy
02-19-2013, 06:02 AM
Hey Dino, sounds like this is the guy you're talking about,
Not sure who the last asshole is.

Dino Velvet
02-19-2013, 06:46 AM
Hey Dino, sounds like this is the guy you're talking about,
http://www.hungangels.com/vboard/attachment.php?attachmentid=556068&stc=1&d=1361246363

That's him. Looks like he's trying to smile but no dice.

robertlouis
02-19-2013, 06:59 AM
That's him. Looks like he's trying to smile but no dice.

And the right hand is definitely reaching for his kris.....

Prospero
02-19-2013, 10:24 AM
Try Bradford. They have lots of Madrassahs these days

robertlouis
02-20-2013, 03:00 AM
Try Bradford. They have lots of Madrassahs these days

Curry Mile in Rusholme in Manchester is well worth a visit too.

Gigging in Leicester this Saturday and will take in a curry at a recommended vegetarian Indian place beforehand.