PDA

View Full Version : Top Gun movie director jumps off bridge

bat1
02-17-2013, 07:58 PM
Happened a few months back but this is still so unreal!

he had it all and was going to start working on Top Gun 2

WTF? :confused: he made so many good movies..

Hollywood success...

Following the success of Top Gun, Scott found himself on Hollywood's A-list of action directors.[14] He re-teamed with Simpson and Bruckheimer in 1987 to direct Eddie Murphy and Brigitte Nielsen in the highly anticipated sequel Beverly Hills Cop II. While not being critically embraced, the picture nevertheless became one of the year's highest grossers.[11] His next film, Revenge (1990), a thriller of adultery and revenge set in Mexico, starred Kevin Costner, Madeleine Stowe and Anthony Quinn. Once again directing Tom Cruise, Scott returned to the Simpson-Bruckheimer fold to helm the big-budget racing film Days of Thunder (1990). Scott later stated that it was difficult to find the drama in racing cars in circles, so he "stole from all race movies to date ... then tried to build on them."[2] Scott's next film was the cult action thriller The Last Boy Scout (1991) starring Bruce Willis and Damon Wayans and written by Shane Black.
In 1993, Scott directed True Romance costing just $13m, from a script by Quentin Tarantino and Roger Avary.[15] The cast included Christian Slater, Patricia Arquette, Dennis Hopper, Christopher Walken, Gary Oldman, Brad Pitt, Tom Sizemore, Chris Penn, Val Kilmer and in bit roles, James Gandolfini and Samuel L. Jackson. Although it received positive reviews from Janet Maslin and other critics, it took less than $13m and was considered a box office failure.[11] Scott's next film, Crimson Tide (1995), was a submarine thriller starring Gene Hackman and Denzel Washington. His follow-up film, 1996's The Fan, starred Robert De Niro, Wesley Snipes, Ellen Barkin and Benicio del Toro. Scott's 1998 film Enemy of the State, a conspiracy thriller, starred Will Smith and Gene Hackman, and was his highest-grossing film of the decade.[11] Spy Game was released in November 2001. It garnered 63% positive reviews at Metacritic and made a little over $60m at the US box office. Man on Fire was released in April 2004 and made over $75m at the U.S. box office.[citation needed]
Scott and his brother Ridley Scott were co-producers of the TV series Numb3rs,[2] which aired from 2005 to 2010. Tony Scott directed the first episode of the fourth season.[16] In 2006, he contributed voice-over to a song called Dreamstalker on Hybrid's album I Choose Noise; Scott has worked together with Hybrid on several films through mutual friend Harry Gregson-Williams.
Next for Scott came Domino (2005) starring Keira Knightley.[17] In autumn 2006, Scott reteamed with Denzel Washington for the futuristic action film Déjà Vu.[18] Scott once again teamed up with Denzel Washington on The Taking of Pelham 123, which also starred John Travolta and was released in theatres on 12 June 2009.[19] The film was a remake of the 1974 film of the same title starring Walter Matthau and Robert Shaw. 2009 also saw the debut of The Good Wife, a legal drama television series which had Scott and his brother as two of several executive producers.[20]
In 2010, the Scott brothers produced the feature film adaptation of the television series The A-Team.[21] Scott's film, Unstoppable, again starring Washington (with Chris Pine), was released in November 2010.[22] Shortly before his death he produced Coma, an A&E miniseries[23], the Coca-Cola short film The Polar Bears and the thiller Stoker, both with his brother.
[edit]Unrealized projects
Scott developed a film adaptation of Clifford Irving's novel Tom Mix and Pancho Villa (1981) for over a decade. In November 2003, he scouted locations in Mexico, and Steven Zaillian was writing the screenplay. "This is Lawrence of Arabia meets The Wild Bunch, a huge film with trains, cavalry, thousands of soldiers in uniform and on horseback," Scott said.[24]
In late 2006, Scott announced a remake of the action thriller The Warriors (1979). "The original Warriors was New York in the '70s, and everything went upwards, everything went vertically. And now I'm making it a contemporary thing and doing it in L.A., so everything is horizontal. So my vision of The Warriors is Los Angeles in 2007 and the gangs, instead of being 30, are going to be 3,000 or 5,000," he said.[25] Scott met with actual gang members for research: "I've met all the heads of all the different gangs, so I've already educated myself. They all said, 'Listen dude, if you get this on we'll sign a treaty and we'll all stand on the Long Beach Bridge. There'll be 150,000 members there. It'll look like the L.A. Marathon.'"[25] Scott was simultaneously developing a drama project titled Emma's War about British foreign aid worker Emma McCune.[26] Scott said in October 2006, "It's been a difficult piece to crack. We had one writer aboard who did a pass at the script and didn't get it, but we've got someone else onboard now who I'm going to make live down there and smell it, touch it, feel it. There's nothing that can compare to that kind of first-hand experience."[27]
Scott was with Tom Cruise just two days prior to his death, scouting locations for a sequel to Top Gun, scheduled for production in 2013.[28] In December 2012, Paramount announced that the project was officially cancelled, but they would go ahead with a 3D IMAX remastering of the original Top Gun, due to be released on 8 February 2013.[29] Scott was also slated to direct Narco Sub, from a script by David Guggenheim and Mark Bomback, about "a disgraced American naval officer forced to pilot a sub carrying a payload of cocaine to America."[28] Scott was also considering a remake of the classic western The Wild Bunch (1969).[28]

Tony Scott jumped off the Vincent Thomas Bridge, pictured here

saifan
02-17-2013, 08:35 PM
Mental illness and depression don't care about success. This was such a sad story to follow when it was happening. I really liked Tony's films.

RallyCola
02-17-2013, 10:09 PM
after prometheus...i have always said that the wrong scott killed himself.

Jackal
02-18-2013, 01:30 AM
It is sad what happened to hik but he was a mediocre filmmaker at best.

BellaBellucci
02-18-2013, 01:43 AM
Mental illness and depression don't care about success.

Quoted for truth.

~BB~

bluesoul
02-18-2013, 02:25 AM
i also heard michael jackson died. did you guys know about that?