PDA

View Full Version : How to convert SWF to HTML5?

tvkim
02-17-2013, 05:46 PM
Anyone know how to convert a SWF flash file to HTML5?

Have tried 'sothink' and 'swiffy'... none seem to work

Anyone familiar with JWplayer? If so.... help urgently needed!

SpoogeMonkey
02-17-2013, 05:56 PM
Kim, you just embed the swf straight into the page

<embed src="filthyfistingexample.swf" width="550" height="400" />

GroobyKrissy
02-17-2013, 06:05 PM
it is a bit more complicated than that to actually make it work. If you're using html5 though, there is no reason to even use flash, unless you want a backup format for legacy browsers. The formats you should concentrate on for html5 are .ogg, .webm, and mp4.

what you're actually asking is how to make flv files work with html5 (html5 is not a file format... Just instructions to browsers on how to display them) and the above poster is basically correct. Jwplayer is great and what I use on my site.

tvkim
02-17-2013, 06:09 PM
Kim, you just embed the swf straight into the page

<embed src="filthyfistingexample.swf" width="550" height="400" />

Sorry... forgot to mention. My flash files work fine in browsers.

But I need them to work on tablets such as iPad, Windows tablets, iPod and smart phones etc that only allow HTML5 playback

Apple ISO does not allow FLASH support (Grrrrrr)

tvkim
02-17-2013, 06:15 PM
it is a bit more complicated than that to actually make it work. If you're using html5 though, there is no reason to even use flash, unless you want a backup format for legacy browsers. The formats you should concentrate on for html5 are .ogg, .webm, and mp4.

what you're actually asking is how to make flv files work with html5 (html5 is not a file format... Just instructions to browsers on how to display them) and the above poster is basically correct. Jwplayer is great and what I use on my site.

If I save my files as mp4 they work fine on MAC ISO but they do not loop. I need them to loop!!!

I know that I need to decompile my Flash files, but all the programmes out there that do this don't seem to work on my SWF files.

Even tried uploading a SWF file to Google's SWIFFY and it says my file is not supported!

Altho I don't really want to go down the JWplayer route as that involves tedious coding, I would love to hear more info on JWplayer and how you get on with it.

GroobyKrissy
02-17-2013, 06:20 PM
Sorry... forgot to mention. My flash files work fine in browsers.

But I need them to work on tablets such as iPad, Windows tablets, iPod and smart phones etc that only allow HTML5 playback

Apple ISO does not allow FLASH support (Grrrrrr)

Ok, I am on my laptop now and not my phone so here is a bit more detail to help you out.

As you already pointed out, FLV does not play on certain mobile devices. Most mobile devices natively support MP4 (make sure you're encoding with a "standard" codec). To really round things out though, you really need to offer Ogg Theora files, WebM files, AND MP4 files. Make sure you place your MP4 files FIRST though because older Apple devices will not recognize them otherwise. Those three formats cover just about every device and every browser on the market. If you really want to be safe, you should offer FLV files as a backup for anyone using IE8 or lower (no HTML5 support).

As for the code itself, it is too complex to go through shortly here, but you're welcome to take a peek at the code for my site and see how I do it. All the video files on the tour are written to display in HTML5. You'll have to change a lot of things around since the placement of my files will be different from yours.

Actually to get a cleaner example of the code, best to visit one of my blogs and click on the "Krissy4u Mini Tour" link. Then view that code. My main page is probably pretty long and complex.

If you need a good, fast, FREE converter to .ogg, webm, and MP4, I use Miro Converter which is easy and straightforward to use. I think it handles .flv files as well but I can't remember offhand.

Anyway... good luck! It took me and my hosting co. a good couple of days to get HTML5 to actually work but eventually got it figured out. Make sure you have the proper MIME's set up on your server... that puzzled me forever!

Again, good luck!

GroobyKrissy
02-17-2013, 06:28 PM
If I save my files as mp4 they work fine on MAC ISO but they do not loop. I need them to loop!!!

I know that I need to decompile my Flash files, but all the programmes out there that do this don't seem to work on my SWF files.

Even tried uploading a SWF file to Google's SWIFFY and it says my file is not supported!

Altho I don't really want to go down the JWplayer route as that involves tedious coding, I would love to hear more info on JWplayer and how you get on with it.

What problems are you having with JWplayer? It really doesn't take that much coding at all as the standard player is actually pretty good as far as controls go. You would have to add the loop in, but that should be easy enough. The license for paid content is pretty slim as well so I think it is worth having.

Personally, you're MUCH better off IMO, starting from scratch if you're planning on a making the change to HTML5 and redesigning your pages. If you have a raw unedited .mpeg of your video, it will be much easier (and higher quality) to work with than trying to work with an already degraded .flv file. There are programs out there that can make the flash to xxx conversion but I've found most are pretty bad, and if quality is an issue for you, you won't be happy with the outcome.

Anyway... off to go swim some laps and throw up as much as I can before the Tranny Awards :) Let me know if you I can help you out via PM. I'll be short on time for the rest of today probably but will answer when I can find the time. I know firsthand how frustrating working with HTML5 can be!

tvkim
02-17-2013, 06:32 PM
What problems are you having with JWplayer? It really doesn't take that much coding at all as the standard player is actually pretty good as far as controls go. You would have to add the loop in, but that should be easy enough. The license for paid content is pretty slim as well so I think it is worth having.

Personally, you're MUCH better off IMO, starting from scratch if you're planning on a making the change to HTML5 and redesigning your pages. If you have a raw unedited .mpeg of your video, it will be much easier (and higher quality) to work with than trying to work with an already degraded .flv file. There are programs out there that can make the flash to xxx conversion but I've found most are pretty bad, and if quality is an issue for you, you won't be happy with the outcome.

Anyway... off to go swim some laps and throw up as much as I can before the Tranny Awards :) Let me know if you I can help you out via PM. I'll be short on time for the rest of today probably but will answer when I can find the time. I know firsthand how frustrating working with HTML5 can be!

Many thanks but just sent you a private message as this is going too far off topic for here I think!

GroobyKrissy
02-17-2013, 06:43 PM
Many thanks but just sent you a private message as this is going too far off topic for here I think!

Can you be off topic on your own thread? :)

I just sent you a reply to your PM. Any excuse to put off exercising.