PDA

View Full Version : Who remembers Pee Wee's Playhouse?

sukumvit boy
01-26-2013, 11:47 PM
The history of Pee Wee's Playhouse came up in a recent PBS "Independent Lense"TV show about the artist Wayne Wight(Dirty Dog),who worked the show from the first season.
Amazing ,crazy funny. Won 15 Emmey Awards.
That's Grace Jones on a Christmas special.
Cindi Lauper did the themesong.
Pee-wee Playhouse Opening Theme - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaZLIibmsKc)

RallyCola
01-26-2013, 11:54 PM
i remember it well and loved it.

i also saw it live and met paul when he was on broadway. the show was ok but i was upset that the stage show didn't evolve much from the tv show.

what i remember most was that he wasn't in character at the meet and greet and I was shocked at how many people were just dicks to him because of it. the man just spent 90 min in character on stage, so i understood we were there to meet the actor, not peewee herman, but alas, others felt slighted.

Willie Escalade
01-27-2013, 01:00 AM
Weren't you supposed to be high while watching that show?

be2378
01-27-2013, 01:09 AM
I do remember the show and was one of my favorite shows growing up. The show was ahead of its time in so many ways. For a short time a couple of years ago it was on Adult Swim, and who ever came up with the show had to be very high on some type of the good stuff.

giovanni_hotel
01-27-2013, 02:25 AM
It was one of those rare children's shows whose real target demographic was 20 and 30somethings.

I think tapes/DVDs of those original episodes still sell very well to this day.
If it wasn't for Reubens getting caught jacking in movie theater, Pee Wee's Playhouse might have been on air for at least a decade.

Hard to believe he's 60 years old.

Dino Velvet
01-27-2013, 02:29 AM
Never saw it but I always enjoyed Pee Wee Herman in the Cheech & Chong films.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3367/4572848140_559d2d6cbc_o.jpg

RallyCola
01-27-2013, 02:40 AM
don't forget, he was also one of the main villains in the original Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie...his whining when he was stabbed is one of the only things I remember from that movie.

Lovecox
01-27-2013, 03:03 AM
He created a unique character that was funny, absurd, naive, kind and also mischievous. The news media machine killed his career. 'Kid's Show Host Caught Masturbating (gasp!) In Adults-Only Theater'. Knowing how hypocritically puritanical people are about s-e-x they jumped on the story like ravenous dogs on a scrap of food.

Dino Velvet
01-27-2013, 03:05 AM
don't forget, he was also one of the main villains in the original Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie...his whining when he was stabbed is one of the only things I remember from that movie.

He was also in Blow. Pee Wee always reminded me of John Cusack's younger, weirder, shorter brother.

paul reubens on today show for Blow - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od9mRZV_1OQ)

JenniferParisHusband
01-27-2013, 03:09 AM
There was an original HBO Special for Pee Wee Herman, when he was still doing that skit with the Groundlings in LA. It even had Phil Hartman in it as Captain Carl. It was much more for adults than the version he did on Saturday morning, with masturbation jokes and that kind of stuff. It was hysterical. Well worth finding if you can.

sukumvit boy
01-27-2013, 03:14 AM
TKS,Dino and Rally,I didn't know he was in 'Cheech & Chong" and "Buffy"

Dino Velvet
01-27-2013, 03:18 AM
TKS,Dino and Rally,I didn't know he was in 'Cheech & Chong" and "Buffy"

Watch Cheech & Chong's Next Movie, Nice Dreams, and Things Are Tough All Over. Get a lotta lotta weed first.http://board.freeones.com/images/freeones/smilies/joint.gif

sukumvit boy
01-27-2013, 04:07 AM
Weren't you supposed to be high while watching that show?

Shit,couldn't hurt,right?
That humor made about as much sense weather you're straight or shitfaced!

RallyCola
01-27-2013, 05:03 AM
Buffy the Vampire Slayer might have been a better TV show than movie, but the movie is worth a look. It was when Kristy Swanson was still hot and Luke Perry was still relevant.

FYI, since we are on the topic, Pee Wee's Big Adventure is a far superior movie to Big Top Pee Wee.

be2378
01-27-2013, 09:02 AM
Pee Wee's Playhouse also had Lawernce Fishburn as Cowboy Curtis.

Paul Ruben's was in Blues Brothers at the waiter offering Jake and Elwood some really expensive champain.

RallyCola
01-27-2013, 12:54 PM
this does seem a far cry from morpheus

http://lashonda.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/laurence.jpg

Willie Escalade
01-28-2013, 02:36 AM
FYI, since we are on the topic, Pee Wee's Big Adventure is a far superior movie to Big Top Pee Wee.

The truth shall set you free.

And that above picture of Larry is kind of disturbing,.,

RallyCola
01-28-2013, 03:40 AM
The truth shall set you free.

And that above picture of Larry is kind of disturbing,.,

if that mofo offered me a little blue pill, i'd think he was trying to rape me

95racer
01-28-2013, 03:44 AM
First time I saw Pee Wee was the Young Comedians Special on HBO one year.

eccentricBlue
01-28-2013, 05:43 AM
Who said the secret word????