PDA

View Full Version : 'I'M GOOD ENOUGH, I'M SMART ENOUGH, AND, DOGGONNIT...'MinStP

White_Male_Canada
04-20-2006, 01:29 AM
I'M GOOD ENOUGH, I'M SMART ENOUGH, AND, DOGGONNIT, PEOPLE LIKE ME!

DURHAM, NORTH CAROLINA—Volume 27 - Issue 1324 - Cover Story - April 19, 2006

The sold-out screening of Al Franken: God Spoke at the Full Frame Documentary Film Festival has drawn a thousand moviegoers to Durham's Fletcher Hall on a warm Friday night. That's presumably because the Air America host, Saturday Night Live veteran, and author of Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them has pledged to appear in person for a Q&A. But what follows the movie feels a lot more like a rock concert—or maybe a campaign rally.

Even before Franken ambles down the long aisle toward the stage, the audience has already responded with thunderous applause to the comic's well-timed one-liner near the end of the film: "I'm thinking of running in 2008 against Norm Coleman." In part because alcoholic beverages are freely allowed in Fletcher Hall, you might suppose that this rowdy crowd would want to know what Stuart Smalley would say about American Idol, or what it was like for Franken to work with party animal John Belushi. But after a standing ovation—and a third-tier balcony holler for Franken to push the podium to center stage ("We can't see you!")—the audience proceeds to query the potential candidate on issues: government-sanctioned surveillance, death-penalty legislation, even campaign finance. Maybe there's a grass-is-always-greener factor at work here in North Carolina. Leaving the theater, I hear a woman behind me exclaim, like a toddler reviewing ice cream, "I love Minnesota!"...

http://www.citypages.com/databank/27/1324/article14296.asp?page=1

Run Al Run ! Please run against Coleman,we beg you :P !